Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Not sure what this means. To be clear, I was asking about regular house K type crafting. I don't know what you mean by the XP on all shards resets?

My thought was life #3 may be a good time to go Artificer. Compared to some other classes, Arti will be easy to level up, and by life #3, I should have lots of essence. I have a build in mind that I would like to try.

I'm already thinking about life #2. With first life as Barbarian, I could go Paladin, Ranger, or Fighter and not change my style much...
    Don't know if someone has already answered this question, but I thought I'd chip in.

When doing Cannith crafting (the stuff in the House K or House C crafting hall), you make shards to get crafting exp to make better shards and so on. You need to make a LOT of shards to max out crafting.

Some shards are cheaper than others at the same level to make, and so you want to focus on these shards for preference. The problem is that the exp you gain for making shards decreases each time you make it. If you TR, the game forgets which shards you've made before so you can craft the cheap / effective shards for full crafting experience again. This makes maxing out crafting a lot cheaper (although a lot slower as well, of course).

Community Member

Default A Convert!

Parvo! As a former (perhaps future?) MV member please allow me to welcome you to the Dark Side!

I've been on a hiatus from DDO (graduated, started a new job, busy summer, etc.) but am starting to come back. If you're still around level 7 I'd be happy to join you on Cannith sometimes (I've got Vet II).

Have fun trying out all new gear and content!

Loka

Getting gear is fairly easy - if you're running all the quests, all the time. I think it's important to stay at 20 for a while, at least, to farm things like ToD ring sets, raid gear, and GS items. Admittedly, that takes a lot of time - but if you've got a character sitting at 20 that you enjoy playing, then it's not that big a deal.

I have two 3rd life characters (in my sig) and I've decided that one will be a "whatever", and since the other has never multi-classed, I'll go "capstone" completionist with her. That means, no multi-classing at all. She's done 20clr, 20FvS and now is working on 20Pal.

I don't know if I'll ever actually get to completionist or not - If I do, it'll take me years, I'm not the kind of person who has the stamina to zerg-farm Tear of Dhakaan 7 times in a row. I run *everything* - my Wizard has an elite streak of 201 right now.

I would say to just be true to yourself - don't force yourself into zerg/XP mode. Stop and smell the roses along the way.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Wink completionist is for the masochists

Quote Originally Posted by Varr View Post

9. First time you get stuck farming 4.4'mill xp in a class you don't enjoy your going to say, damn Varr had my back and I ignored his advice.....silly me.
    Trust in those words of wisdom, it happened to me, the barb life was so painful that I could never level a melee again. After that life I could not bring myself to TR that character again, if I ever wanted a melee character to experience end content with. It would have be him!

I do recommend a third life 36 point build of a class you enjoy! I'm almost always playing my third life sorcerer.

My words of advice to you, pick your favorite class on third life, after experiencing the 4.4mil xp grind you might decide to stick with the third life (just maybe ).

Tephaz
    Recently joined permadeath which is the only challenge left in DDO.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=385108

Quote Originally Posted by RandomKeypress View Post
    Don't know if someone has already answered this question, but I thought I'd chip in.

When doing Cannith crafting (the stuff in the House K or House C crafting hall), you make shards to get crafting exp to make better shards and so on. You need to make a LOT of shards to max out crafting.

Some shards are cheaper than others at the same level to make, and so you want to focus on these shards for preference. The problem is that the exp you gain for making shards decreases each time you make it. If you TR, the game forgets which shards you've made before so you can craft the cheap / effective shards for full crafting experience again. This makes maxing out crafting a lot cheaper (although a lot slower as well, of course).
    OK. I finally get it. Thanks much. Would be a good idea to do some basic crafting on my first character than.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

Default not really worth it

Quote Originally Posted by der_kluge View Post
    and since the other has never multi-classed, I'll go "capstone" completionist with her. That means, no multi-classing at all. She's done 20clr, 20FvS and now is working on 20Pal.
    As someone who has done the capstone completionist you describe, looking back I ended up spending more time than I could have if I multiclassed, especially if you end up soloing 30% or more of the time (which is inevitable if you really want to get it done quickly).

Working on second completionist toon now, and pretty much bypassing all the irritating classes to level with multiclassing. Another plus to this is you can rogue pretty much any toon, especially if you can canith craft or have a guild crafter. This is a big plus, especially now that it seems a lot of traps are hitting hard, and competent rogues are nowhere to be found.

My barb life this time for example is a 8 barb/6 rogue/6 FTR. Whirlwind by level 6, decent AC, good damage, UMD, all traps, evasion, sneak damage as a bonus, 100% self sufficient. A big difference from the 20 Pure Barb on my last completionist project., a BIG difference when leveling up.

My advice is, screw the capstone completionist, why cripple yourself? Yeah it is a feather, but its a pretty small one that no one else can see. Just multi for the convenience and get the end toon built faster. Then you can stack lives you want which is a little more fun once you have the feat and all those past life feats.
    RTFM on Khyber

Community Member

Default Welcome to the XP Train

Parvo

First a welcome to the server and a welcome to a fun ride, Cannith Completionist!

My name is Money Maker, and I'm a Completionist (in the making).

As a member of Loot, one of the oldest Guilds on the server I am priviledge in that Pre-U14 I was in the midst of not 1 but 2 Completionists in my Guild, Maetrim and Pipot, this of course has changed since Druid, as one member did not buy the Xpac and the other is on hiatus holidaying with his family.

I have been following your thread for a short while now and would like to offer some advice as to how I like to grind through what will soon become ALOT of time and experience.

1:- Cannith Crafting - ALWAYS try to advance this wonderful new game mechanic. It helps unending to make the trip to L20 easier.

2:- Rogue Skills/Evasion - Both of these are not 100% necessary, but you will find more often than not, you get there quicker, and with more XP if you have these on any toon you make.

3:- Greensteel - After having run many lives (on my ninth now) these little fun items mean L11-L20 go alot faster. Now I have the advantage, I did 40+ Shrouds before I TR'd Money, but even just 1 piece is a massive boon. But remember to always make an item that meets the needs of you next lives, not always your "Completionist End gear" if you even have an idea what your end build will be yet. I think my favorite I have made is my Min II Helm with 45HP and CON Skills.

4:- Reusable slots - By this I mean, normally I use Spectral Gloves after I get them at L13 until I cap, so I make my toon to accommodate for +5 DEX, and a +3 Tome and go from there. But to correlate with this, I always have DEX Gloves on until I get said Spectrals. (With Cannith Crafting and Masterful Craftsmanship from Cannith Favor I have +4 DEX Gloves with a Large Guild Slot @ L5 until L13). This of course is only one such example.

Either way, feel free to look me up on the game and I'll give you some more advice if you need it over voice.

Easiest way is shoot me an in game mail or /tell. Which begs the question. What is your GMT and usual playtime? We might be able to hook up for some silly fast XP sometime :-)

Good Luck and best Wishes

Money Maker of Cannith.

Default The ups and downs...

My first life has been big ups and downs. There are times when I'm cruising and times when I make no progress at all. Prior to last night I was feeling again like I had hit a wall. Unfamiliar with the quests, I was having a hard time finding any that I could solo or effectively lead. I tried some pug groups, I tried some soloing, nothing was working well. Two sessions of effectively no XP had me rethinking strategy. I decided to do slayer/explorer/rares in the orchard. Not far in, I got a tell inviting me to a full elite run of second lordsmarch series. Having only done it on hard, I accepted the offer. It was great fortune. First distinction was the group actually talked (and I didn't have to explain to my 10-year old son what **** means every other word). This was good, I thought. Once we got into the quest it was clear the group was very capable. Mobs dropped fast and we moved effectively through the quest. We had a good rogue too. A few character deaths did not slow us much and even a wipe and restart in Undermine was not cause for despair (as it often is in pugs). In fact, it seemed to solidify resolve to get it done. Nice to see. It was a great session. We got the whole series done. I "friended" the whole group and hope to quest with them again soon. Parvo the Barbarian is now capped at 16 and will be seeing the trainer for level 17. Good times...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

My first life has been big ups and downs. There are times when I'm cruising and times when I make no progress at all. Prior to last night I was feeling again like I had hit a wall. Unfamiliar with the quests, I was having a hard time finding any that I could solo or effectively lead. I tried some pug groups, I tried some soloing, nothing was working well. Two sessions of effectively no XP had me rethinking strategy. I decided to do slayer/explorer/rares in the orchard. Not far in, I got a tell inviting me to a full elite run of second lordsmarch series. Having only done it on hard, I accepted the offer. It was great fortune. First distinction was the group actually talked (and I didn't have to explain to my 10-year old son what **** means every other word). This was good, I thought. Once we got into the quest it was clear the group was very capable. Mobs dropped fast and we moved effectively through the quest. We had a good rogue too. A few character deaths did not slow us much and even a wipe and restart in Undermine was not cause for despair (as it often is in pugs). In fact, it seemed to solidify resolve to get it done. Nice to see. It was a great session. We got the whole series done. I "friended" the whole group and hope to quest with them again soon. Parvo the Barbarian is now capped at 16 and will be seeing the trainer for level 17. Good times...
    This is what TR'ing is all about. When you know the quests, have the gear and maybe a more sufficient build you'll be able to manufacture this experience out of average pug groups with only a little effort Do so a bit and you'll fall in with similar players and the pace and energy will multiply.

What class is next?
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Community Member

shame you didnt start the character on argonossen, there are plenty of ex MVers that would help you out. I pretty much started out in MV then switched to general play, i now have 10 capped levelling various toon all the time.
    Im sure you could use 1 spot for a completionist? I for one would love to group with you, limmy is knocking about with a load of toons also.

Aral.

All the best though.

This is a huge fun boost for me. A few months ago I had a few TRs going at the same time. One of them was an elite-streak, mostly solo junky. The other was one of my more main characters.

I REALLY enjoyed doing the elite streak, usually solo, on the Artificer. I did group (didn't avoid it) but literally did each quest in just about reverse-level order, on elite. There are a number of folks doing this now, and even with twink gear some of the quests are a real challenge.

I also REALLY enjoy (and still do) finding a group (or small core) of vets or TRs and speed running quests. You need the XP, and doing things like divide and conquer on Blockade Bluster in one minute is just as much fun as slogging through Inferno solo on elite with all optionals.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Glad you could join us for the Lordsmarch chain, it was fun, even if it was a bit of a cluster at times. lol

I was pretty impressed by the DPS Parvo was putting out - especially as a first life, with probably sub-optimal gear. He's a beast!

Was a good run for me - I managed to finally get my Katra's ring upgraded - now I have an entire upgraded set.

Urs is my RL friend - we duo lots of things together. I'd be happy to include you on our runs. I'll look for you next time I'm on.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Completionist! || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

here is some advice from someone who has finished his completionist journey.

Challenge gear.

Get some.

All the gear I am talking about is of the ML 16 tier II variety. The idea is that these items are worn from 16 to 20, and then used again on the following lives. They are easy go get a hold of, have nice abilities and are very useful.

I know at first it looks like caster gear but upon further inspection, from the Tunic, bracers, boots and cloak you get the following:

Fire shield cold & hot
    immunity to slippery surfaces
    stone prison guard
    earth grab guard
    dodge 3%
    Blurry
    lesser freezing Ice (procs a lot, w/ weapons and ranged)
    Fire absorption 15%
    Heightened awareness II
    Air guard
    enhanced Ki +1

Not to mention all the casting goodness of Major lore of Ice, fire, electricity, acid, +90 in ice, fire, acid and electricity if you ever decided that you want to cast spells.

And let us not forget there are some nice weapons in there as well. I would start with the Elemental greataxe of fire: +5 flaming burst, brilliance, metalline, incineration, greater cold resistance.

The bow, rapier, and khopeshes are also nice if you swing, (or poke) that way. Remember to grab the elemental weapons, I personally passed on the anti undead versions of weapons.

You can also gear yourself with a ring of the stalker from here as well: manslayer, exceptional sneak attack +2 and seeker +4.

This leaves open your helm, belt, ring, neck, trinket, and gloves slots. so just throw in a minos, GFL belt, silver flame necklace, spectral gloves, voice of the master, or whatever, else you want. This is a simple way to equip your toon and be very decently geared out. For all your lives pretty much. Especially if you are planning on running through these levels 13 times and are not drowning in cleansed GS items.
    Last edited by Maxallu; 07-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    What class is next?
    You tell me. I know nothing about past life feats. Do they take up a regular feat slot? You guys told me to do Barb first because it will assist future lives. Will Fighter, Paladin, Ranger do the same?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

You tell me. I know nothing about past life feats. Do they take up a regular feat slot? You guys told me to do Barb first because it will assist future lives. Will Fighter, Paladin, Ranger do the same?
    Past life feats are broken up into passive and active. While the passive are free, the active cost a feat slot.

Me personally, I would knock out Paladin next, only because (for me) they are a pain to level if you decide to just stay pure. Though going multi and leveling a Solar or Divine Phoenix build seems to help some of that pain, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by user110000 View Post
    shame you didnt start the character on argonossen, there are plenty of ex MVers that would help you out. I pretty much started out in MV then switched to general play, i now have 10 capped levelling various toon all the time.
    Im sure you could use 1 spot for a completionist? I for one would love to group with you, limmy is knocking about with a load of toons also.

Aral.

All the best though.
    I intentionally did this off Argo. Tell Lim ex-MVers are pansies.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Maxallu View Post
    here is some advice from someone who has finished his completionist journey.

Challenge gear...
    What challenges should I do? I'm now level 17. Can I do them solo?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

You can probably get a completion in every non-epic challenge solo though the kobold island ones (disruptor/kobold chaos/short cuts) are tricky to solo (though completing is still quite easy if you have a clear strategy).

Extraplanar palace and lava caves scenarios are basic Crystal Cove fair, guide the kobolds to the purple crystals and let them mine it with variations based on which one you're doing. Rushmores mansion are different and the most fun to solo I think, open gates with crests to get more time and keep going as long as you can to try to complete the different objectives before time runs out.

You can set the difficulty of the quests anywhere from 5 to 20 or 21 to 25 depending on quest and if you pick epic, rewards get more or less depending on the quest level relative to your level. I tend to do most quests at my own level unless I've just finished it and it was very easy.

Barbarian is quite a decent class for challenges as you have moderate AoE damage from cleaves/glancing blows and excellent movement speed, just grab a hire and you'll be golden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Each challenge gives different ingredients. So, run challenges until you get the ingredients that you need. I usually pug mine, or run with a guildy or 2.

I had another solid session. Hooked up with some old friends and new. Completed all Orchard explorers, Running With the Devils hard, and Invaders elite. Invaders elite was the first --silent pug-- that didn't suck.

Early in the session, before I grouped, I tried one of the challenges. All I can say is, wow...there is some serious half-elven influnce on that design. A bunch of baby voiced kobolds saying stupid baby-like ****... I recalled within one minute. Horrible design. So bad... If I wanted that ****, I'd play hello kitty online. I'm not sure I can fight though challenges...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast