Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 247
  1. #21
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I don't know how.
    Ask in a trade/advice/general channel and someone'll come along and do it for you. Instantly levels you from 8 to 16, it's a "get into the expansion pack content quickly" button that is available until August 15. As you're starting on barbarian it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it this life but you'll be getting significantly less XP than if you did it on a Legendary life (whatever proportion of 4.3 mil vs 1.9 mil).
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

  2. #22
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Ask in a trade/advice/general channel and someone'll come along and do it for you. Instantly levels you from 8 to 16, it's a "get into the expansion pack content quickly" button that is available until August 15. As you're starting on barbarian it wouldn't be a bad idea to do it this life but you'll be getting significantly less XP than if you did it on a Legendary life (whatever proportion of 4.3 mil vs 1.9 mil).
    So, I could not do it again on the second or third life?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  3. #23
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I don't know how.
    Stone of XP is simple enough - Just ask in general chat and you shall receive {usually within about 30 seconds}.

    I do have one left in my shared bank - If you decide you want to take that route on your first life then just look up Jelina or Enochpagett in-game when you're ready.
    I believe it's the 1st August when the Stones disappear entirely {incl from inventories and Banks} though it could be when Update 15 hits - I'm erring on the safe side by making sure my Cleric {Marethx} on Wayfinder gets to Lvl 8 before August myself.
    If however you feel you can cap that first life and hit lvl 8 on your 2nd life before the stones disappear - Plenty of people on these forums have suggested that route to get the most out of the stone.

  4. #24
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    So, I could not do it again on the second or third life?
    Once per account.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

  5. #25
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Once per account.
    Per Server!

  6. #26
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    ...Laerathor {Cleric with DV - Obviously not for a Barbarian}...
    This hireling was solid. Had a bunch of cure type stuff. He cured curse, paralysis, blindness. Good stuff. Thanks for the advice.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  7. #27
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    July 19, 2012

    Parvo the orc barbarian completed Stones Run Red. For that he was awarded a Scoundrel's Greatsword (flaming+anarchic). Good weapon for the next quest, Guard Duty. My initial over zerging has given way to a bit more carefullness. Less deaths = faster XP. No puggers joined me tonight. I'm a bit dissapointed I haven't made 8 yet, but If I get some time in this weekend I'll break through fast enough. Elite streak is rolling now.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  8. #28
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    This hireling was solid. Had a bunch of cure type stuff. He cured curse, paralysis, blindness. Good stuff. Thanks for the advice.
    From about Lvl 7 onwards all Cure type spells are available to Cleric Hirelings {Level required of course - Before Lvl 7 there's still a few of these spells that each hire won't have}.

    I have noticed that Hirelings won't cast Bless on you if you've been Baned BUT they will remove Curses, Diseases, Poisons, Blindness and Hold Person as a matter of course.

    Some Hires do have Lesser Resto/Resto/Greater Resto on their bars BUT I know of none who will cast it without your say so unfortunately - So if you know you're going up against Beholders and Deathward isn't available as yet you'd be best to look for one of those hires with Restoration on their Bar.
    I believe the first Hireling to carry Mass Deathward is the Lvl 13 FavSoul - Duerim Guardwell {Not a bad hireling to be honest} BUT this is a bug - His bar says Deathward yet he casts Mass Deathward which I don't believe a Lvl 13 FS even has access too yet.
    The Lvl 14 Cleric Tempys Lorben also has Mass Deathward and is a Superb Hireling in General.

  9. #29
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    July 20, 2012
    Parvo the Barbarian ran some 3BC quests and gained a Scoundrels Greatsword. Decent weapon for Tangleroot which is next. Died once in an optional area where I couldn't get my hireling to come to my spot. Have enough XP for eight but holding off.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  10. #30
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24

    Default

    As far as i know Stones of xp expire in august so you may want to consider that option even tho its your first life.... And good luck with the project

  11. #31
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    July 18, 2012
    My first life character is Parvo an orc barbarian. 20 strength, 18 con, dumped everything else. He started as a level seven veteran (my first ever veteran). The starter gear is plenty good enough to jump right into questing. Parvo needed some money so I started off easy running some 4's on hard. Irestone, Freshen the Air. They were really boring and easy, but I got some coin. I went incap once, died once and some random pugger joined and carted my sorry butt to the shrine. I decided to go Sharn elite. Some other random pugger joined and told me a little about hirelings (I never used them). About mid way throuugh Sharn, I hired a cleric to tow around. He made it very easy. After that I sent Parvo to Depths and completed all four on elite. Got held, and danced a lot. Seems like every time some random pugger joins me, Parvo bites the dust. I blame the puggers. Had a few deaths but just quickly restarted or let the puggers drag me to the shrine. Scored about 3500 plat, ground up a bunch of junk for essenses to use in some later life. No great loot, but really don't need any. About half way through the session, I used that Tome of Learning thing (someone on the forums here says it will stay with my character after reincarnating). Only got about half way through level seven. Need to get elite streak rolling...

    Oh yea...one question. Do puggers just not talk? I had probably ten random puggers join me throughout the session and only one of them talked... weird.



    Many don't talk.

    I more often than not, do not talk much in a PUG. But depends on the people I'm with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  12. #32
    Community Member dredre9987's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Hey Parvo if you would like I'm running up a cleric at the moment and if you need some help running through stuff a bit faster that would work both ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

  13. #33
    Community Member acrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Venice Italy
    Posts
    70

    Default

    GL dude
    Anxia the completionist 20pl The Barb//komasector//dacqua vite
    Quote Originally Posted by praetor View Post
    I'm really sorry for asking you to fix all the things broken with update 14. Now that I have seen what you are incapable of, I beg you, please stop fixing things. Please make it stop.

  14. #34
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    After finding out the XP stone also gives some basic gear, I advertised in trade channel and a nice player sped Parvo along the way. However, at 16, I really don't know my way around much. Trying to keep my streak going, I joined Ghost of Perdition. The party filled out. The parties conversation turned to permadeath. I was told PD is pointless. Then we proceeded to wipe twice. The third try was a re-entry, that we completed. After that, I joined a group for Undermine. Went along fine until we got to an area that took coordination. Coordination is defenitely not PUG strong point. We wiped and all recalled. So, feeling a bit like hitting a wall. At this point, Parvo needs gear and cash. I need some completions with some chests...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  15. #35
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    After finding out the XP stone also gives some basic gear, I advertised in trade channel and a nice player sped Parvo along the way. However, at 16, I really don't know my way around much. Trying to keep my streak going, I joined Ghost of Perdition. The party filled out. The parties conversation turned to permadeath. I was told PD is pointless. Then we proceeded to wipe twice. The third try was a re-entry, that we completed. After that, I joined a group for Undermine. Went along fine until we got to an area that took coordination. Coordination is defenitely not PUG strong point. We wiped and all recalled. So, feeling a bit like hitting a wall. At this point, Parvo needs gear and cash. I need some completions with some chests...
    You'd definitely get to 20 quicker if you dropped down to hard streak and just went with that. It's great to do the elite streak but it's relying too much on others.

    Going straight to 16 you've left a lot of XP behind you, can hit some quests a few times, even on normal (as if they're base level 13 or below they won't break your streak) for loot and so forth. Attack on Stormreach chain (p2p and f2p ones) are a good place to start, GH walkups as well (all level 12-13 quests that you can run quickly on normal with a hire for some nice XP and then go back to do on hard/elite depending on how easy they were).

    Another strategy to get to 20 quickly would be to see if you can figure out if there's any TR'ing channels on your server, get into those and you can find much more enjoyable grouping companions than the average pugger.

    I'm detecting some pessimism, try to be positive, completionist is very lonely if you become so disillusioned with pugs that you never want to run with them. Puggers are an obstacle, just like traps and mobs, it's just a case of figuring your way past the obstacle. Many people take the easy way out and just run on the easy difficulty "solo". I enjoy my pugs, they're like a box of chocolates and all that. Some of my best memories from each life usually start out exactly as you describe above with terrible groups that will surely wipe but somehow with some leadership and good game play I manage to pull them through (be pessimistic if you like and say that's just because I've got lots of gear which is a factor of course :P ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

  16. #36
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    You'd definitely get to 20 quicker if you dropped down to hard streak and just went with that. It's great to do the elite streak but it's relying too much on others.

    Going straight to 16 you've left a lot of XP behind you, can hit some quests a few times, even on normal (as if they're base level 13 or below they won't break your streak) for loot and so forth. Attack on Stormreach chain (p2p and f2p ones) are a good place to start, GH walkups as well (all level 12-13 quests that you can run quickly on normal with a hire for some nice XP and then go back to do on hard/elite depending on how easy they were).

    Another strategy to get to 20 quickly would be to see if you can figure out if there's any TR'ing channels on your server, get into those and you can find much more enjoyable grouping companions than the average pugger.

    I'm detecting some pessimism, try to be positive, completionist is very lonely if you become so disillusioned with pugs that you never want to run with them. Puggers are an obstacle, just like traps and mobs, it's just a case of figuring your way past the obstacle. Many people take the easy way out and just run on the easy difficulty "solo". I enjoy my pugs, they're like a box of chocolates and all that. Some of my best memories from each life usually start out exactly as you describe above with terrible groups that will surely wipe but somehow with some leadership and good game play I manage to pull them through (be pessimistic if you like and say that's just because I've got lots of gear which is a factor of course :P ).
    Don't get me wrong, individually the players are fine. I haven't seen anyone do anything realy bad yet. It's just they don't coordinate at all. No one talks and few listen... No one talks. It's so weird.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  17. #37
    The Hatchery Roland_D'Arabel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ladysmith, B.C.
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Some Hires do have Lesser Resto/Resto/Greater Resto on their bars BUT I know of none who will cast it without your say so unfortunately
    This is untrue. I don't remember which clerics are better at doing this but many hireling clerics who don't have these spells on their bar will cast the spell. Running on my barb, my hirelings were always taking care of my fatigue after raging. Although, once you hit 17, you won't have to worry about this.

    Another nice option I haven't seen anyone mention are the bard hirelings. Haste and bard songs are nice and most have a cure serious not on their hot bar that is often enough to keep you going unless you get in over your head.

    Like Wax said, hit the level 12's on hard. You'll still get some pretty good xp with first time bonuses etc and get some good loot, cash as well. Explorer areas are great for XP as well. Vale of Twilight and Orchard have some awesome XP and good opportunities for rares and loot.

    Good luck in your journey!
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

  18. #38
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seminole, FL
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    After finding out the XP stone also gives some basic gear, I advertised in trade channel and a nice player sped Parvo along the way. However, at 16, I really don't know my way around much. Trying to keep my streak going, I joined Ghost of Perdition. The party filled out. The parties conversation turned to permadeath. I was told PD is pointless. Then we proceeded to wipe twice. The third try was a re-entry, that we completed. After that, I joined a group for Undermine. Went along fine until we got to an area that took coordination. Coordination is defenitely not PUG strong point. We wiped and all recalled. So, feeling a bit like hitting a wall. At this point, Parvo needs gear and cash. I need some completions with some chests...
    Wow.. been awhile since I saw a wipe in either of those.
    Used to be common in Ghosts, but no anymore in my experience.

    and.... I love Undermine!
    (but quests like Undermine are exactly why I do not play permadeath! lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

  19. #39
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    I took WOWO's advice and it worked well. Finished all the Gianthold walkups, hooked up with a solid pugger and knocked out Madstone on elite. Almost 17. Have some cash, a better primary sword...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  20. #40
    Community Member FranOhmsford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Posts
    9,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roland_D'Arabel View Post
    This is untrue. I don't remember which clerics are better at doing this but many hireling clerics who don't have these spells on their bar will cast the spell. Running on my barb, my hirelings were always taking care of my fatigue after raging. Although, once you hit 17, you won't have to worry about this.

    Another nice option I haven't seen anyone mention are the bard hirelings. Haste and bard songs are nice and most have a cure serious not on their hot bar that is often enough to keep you going unless you get in over your head.

    Like Wax said, hit the level 12's on hard. You'll still get some pretty good xp with first time bonuses etc and get some good loot, cash as well. Explorer areas are great for XP as well. Vale of Twilight and Orchard have some awesome XP and good opportunities for rares and loot.

    Good luck in your journey!
    Yes I forgot about Rage - All hirelings will remove the Fatigue that goes with it instantly {or near enough} BUT They do not cast Lesser Resto/Resto/Greater Resto when you really need it. i.e. when you've been Stat/Level Drained without you telling them to.
    Those that can Heal of course will cast Heal on you often enough that you won't notice stat drains BUT They will not remove Level Drains without you specifically telling them to.

    Rather strange this - They have the spell - It's obvious when you're on a Barbarian because as soon as yourRage runs out they will remove the fatigue.
    BUT They won't cast it for any other purpose unless it's on their Bar and you specifically tell them to!

    P.S. Lairon Hester - The Lvl 4 Bard Hireling is a better healer than Maloren {Lvl 4 Cleric} - He also has Blur on his bar - Makes for a very good hireling choice at that lvl.
    I still prefer Erythyn - Lvl 3 Cleric Hire though until I can get Kendra.

    Most higher Lvl Bard hirelings are pretty bad - Anthem's fun as he'll smash every box in sight but is terrible at healing and doesn't like fighting moving enemies.
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 07-23-2012 at 12:38 AM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload