Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast
Results 201 to 220 of 247
  1. #201
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    Would hardly call it free. I know I've spent a good amount on this game already, and will continue to do so while they release content.

    Bad for the game... Mmm you must like ghost town servers then; but you want a full to the bristles guild?

    /back to thread

    Are you mostly pugging 2nd life? Or + hire?

    I know your skillset from PD play is way better than the average. Are you still enjoying yourself?
    Perhaps you forget how this game was booming at launch as a subscription model or maybe you don't know the most popular MMO of all time is a subscription model.

    I'm mixing it up between PUGs and soloing. I find what I want to do, and If I think I can solo it, I set out to do so, often leaving up the LFM. On stuff I can't or don't want to solo, I try to wait for peak time when there is a better chance of groups.

    I'm mildly ammused. Fact is, normal play is horribly boring compared to permadeath play. But I need a break from PD, so this is it. After life II, I may split more time between this project and MV. We'll see.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  2. #202
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Perhaps you forget how this game was booming at launch as a subscription model or maybe you don't know the most popular MMO of all time is a subscription model.
    It was great during launch. And then took a huge nose-dive, you do remember when they merged the servers right? And the game was on the brink of dying out? Going to this FTP, micro transaction thingie pretty much saved this game from getting turned off about three years ago.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  3. #203
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    It was great during launch. And then took a huge nose-dive, you do remember when they merged the servers right? And the game was on the brink of dying out? Going to this FTP, micro transaction thingie pretty much saved this game from getting turned off about three years ago.
    I understand the history. The reason the game took such a big nose dive, it was too fast and easy to achieve level ten cap and the content was really lacking. Players simply got bored. Those were problems with the product, not the business model.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  4. #204
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I understand the history. The reason the game took such a big nose dive, it was too fast and easy to achieve level ten cap and the content was really lacking. Players simply got bored. Those were problems with the product, not the business model.
    It was also largely due to the fact that this game at launch appealed to a niche audience, mostly folks with a PnP history. Now it caters to a larger crowd. Any game is going to have players come and go, boredom will happen. The nose dive was largely affected by the fact that we had players leaving and few coming in. This model, while still will have some folks leave is attracting more players then it previously did.

    Like it, love it, hate it. It saved the game from going under.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  5. #205
    Community Member Thorzian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    713

    Default

    it did save the game from going under but i think parvo may be right too. i would guess that if sub-only were to happen again most of the premiums and free's would sub to continue to play. f2p saved the game and brought in new life sure but that life is here now.. i doubt enough of them would leave to the point of crippling the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    We should make our feedback as honest as possible so that when it is absolutely ignored by Turbine we will get bonus points on the scoreboard of life.

  6. #206
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian View Post
    it did save the game from going under but i think parvo may be right too. i would guess that if sub-only were to happen again most of the premiums and free's would sub to continue to play. f2p saved the game and brought in new life sure but that life is here now.. i doubt enough of them would leave to the point of crippling the game.
    I disagree. I know alot of, and am someone who did go premium that spent a good deal of money on content, slots, shared banks, classes, races, etc. If they suddenly decided that sub-only was the new direction, barring a refund I would be out as would many others.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  7. #207
    Community Member Thorzian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    713

    Default

    bah! dont lie to me brae, i've known you for years and you're like me. I left for nearly a year but came back.. yer as hooked as I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinerd View Post
    We should make our feedback as honest as possible so that when it is absolutely ignored by Turbine we will get bonus points on the scoreboard of life.

  8. #208
    Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council
    Braegan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Xoriat
    Posts
    3,753

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian View Post
    bah! dont lie to me brae, i've known you for years and you're like me. I left for nearly a year but came back.. yer as hooked as I am.
    Yeah prolly so, but don't give them any ideas please.
    Last edited by Braegan; 08-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    Git off mah lawn!

    If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

  9. #209
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Braegan View Post
    Yeah prolly so, but don't give them any ideas please.
    As Turbine moves more toward pay to win, they squeeze players who like to just sub up and be done with it. I won't quibble over the sub price. If it is 18 or 20 bucks a month, I'm fine with it. What I don't want to do is participate in a game where success correlates directly to how much a player is willing to pay. Whatever happened to Turbines commitment that nothing in the store would be exclusively available there? Things in the store were supposed to be available in game. Now there are all types of pay-to-win items in the store, and more are coming. It probably won't stop until the game experience is ruined.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  10. #210
    Community Member Nuryam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    120

    Default

    On a micro level we all create our own game experience. Good or bad.

    Isn't PD exactly that? A conscious choice to create a specific game experience? Mostly cut off from the 'pay to win' community?

    What I think is great about this game is that everyone can play this game the way they like it with only limited influence on others. Where are the interfaces? Guilds, grouping and the AH mainly. The guilds and groups you have influence over. The AH less.

    I enjoy reading this thread because you, Parvo, share with us your game experience from a perspective not many of us have. And between the functional 'journey' posts we get to discuss all the good and bad the game has to offer.

    Keep it up!

    Nuryam

  11. #211
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    To get back on track here a bit, I had a bad run through Threnal South with a lot of deaths, but got it done. Had a better run through Hiding in Plain Sight. Parvo the Warrior will be 13 soon and looking forward to Kensai II.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  12. #212
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Parvo the Warrior is now a new member of a large guild. The ship buffs are nice. Lots of folks on, but few in the 12-13 range. Attempted Slavers of the Shrieking Mines and failed twice. Formed and led my first ever PUG raid. Tempest Spine elite. Was a little cat-herdy, but not too bad. We got through it fine. Visited the trainer for character level 13. Picked up Kensai II. Caught up with an ole boy that knows what he's doing and knocked out Enemy Within and Dreams of Insanity. All it really takes is one other player who really knows what's going on. The rest of the group really doesn't matter. Hoping to cap 13 XP today and move on. There are a lot more groups in the 15-18 range...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  13. #213
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Perhaps you forget how this game was booming at launch as a subscription model or maybe you don't know the most popular MMO of all time is a subscription model.

    I'm mixing it up between PUGs and soloing. I find what I want to do, and If I think I can solo it, I set out to do so, often leaving up the LFM. On stuff I can't or don't want to solo, I try to wait for peak time when there is a better chance of groups.

    I'm mildly ammused. Fact is, normal play is horribly boring compared to permadeath play. But I need a break from PD, so this is it. After life II, I may split more time between this project and MV. We'll see.
    The grind does not really begin until life 3. Plus you were able to use a stone to skip most of your second.

    Unless you have ample free time or get in with a dedicated TR train in your new guild, I think you will find your progress will slow dramatically.

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of time frame did you have in mind for your completionist?

  14. #214
    Community Member ddobard1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    3BC
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Now you did a couple of raids..... I suppose you faced lots of difficulties when raiding!?

  15. #215
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    The grind does not really begin until life 3. Plus you were able to use a stone to skip most of your second.

    Unless you have ample free time or get in with a dedicated TR train in your new guild, I think you will find your progress will slow dramatically.

    Just out of curiosity, what kind of time frame did you have in mind for your completionist?
    I used stone on first life. I was unsure if I could get the first life and back up to eight before they expired. Of course it will slow down on third+. I have no time frame objective.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  16. #216
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I'm throwing in the towel. As Varg noted, soloing a guild to any decent level is very tough.
    After having a bad experience with a guild, I started up my own last year, its only 59 atm, but I rarely play anymore, so I doubt it will hit 60 before GW2...

    The easy button with solo guilds is to create 5 F2P accounts and add them to the guild. This will give you 300% guild renown bonus.

    For some reason turbine needed a whole bunch of new account to pad their numbers, hence the incentive to make f2p account for both guild renown, and the late build your guild event.

  17. #217
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzian View Post
    it did save the game from going under but i think parvo may be right too. i would guess that if sub-only were to happen again most of the premiums and free's would sub to continue to play. f2p saved the game and brought in new life sure but that life is here now.. i doubt enough of them would leave to the point of crippling the game.
    No, we'd quit. Without a doubt. It would cripple the game, and f2p is why most of us stay.

    Most of the premiums here like the idea of ownership, however much an illusion that is. Renting monthly sucks. It's why I own a home, own a car, own everything I own. The idea of renting is very unpleasant to me.

    F2P saved, and continues to save, the game.

  18. #218
    Community Member parvo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pigmy Drow Paradise
    Posts
    4,502

    Default

    I met my first dedicated true zerger. I had one other person in the group already. he joined with a cleric on Chamber of Korrush. I think the first thing he said was, "enjoy the pyke". He took off leaving blade barriers in his wake. He said we should stay at the entrance because we were going to red alert. He proceeded to complete the quest in about three minutes. My other groupmate and I searched around a bit for treasure which seemed to annoy the zerger. He said we could farm hard on one minute runs for 4k xp. I explained I understood why he wants to play the game that way but he should understand why I don't...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

  19. #219
    Community Member Yaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Don't leave us, Parvo! Goodness gracious! I'm trying to get my MV rogues going the best I can. Trust me.

  20. #220
    Community Member der_kluge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I met my first dedicated true zerger. I had one other person in the group already. he joined with a cleric on Chamber of Korrush. I think the first thing he said was, "enjoy the pyke". He took off leaving blade barriers in his wake. He said we should stay at the entrance because we were going to red alert. He proceeded to complete the quest in about three minutes. My other groupmate and I searched around a bit for treasure which seemed to annoy the zerger. He said we could farm hard on one minute runs for 4k xp. I explained I understood why he wants to play the game that way but he should understand why I don't...
    Wow, that's pretty impressive. Not sure I've ever come across anyone massively zerging like that before.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload