Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Darthbadger View Post
    I mean, really, I know it's a game, but how lazy are we to use no strategy?
    The "strategy" commonly used is to get on the forums and complain that normal shouldnt be as hard as it is. Then after normal is nerfed into autocompletion, celebrate by tossing up LFMS and take the first 11 players while not having to lead of use strategy whatsoever. Many of the same people then reply in Shroud threads rediculing how easy it is as an excuse to not make a fuss over it.

Alot of the justification for making normal easier was so that people who do not enjoy the raid after having run it a kajillion times can farm materials as quickly as possible. This is really not the case when doing normals however, because we can farm twice as many larges on elite than normal. Chance of success increases alot, when using strategy and listening to the raid leader. Use that wail on the gnolls if needed, 1 wail can usually kill 4 of them with the right positioning and mobility after the first two kills.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by LazarusPossum View Post
    I think part of the problem is hardly anyone is running "teaching" Shrouds on Sarlona anymore.
    Agree with this part. I've caught one of Kages teaching runs for Twilight Forge, those help.

Embarassing story. I do the puzzles fine...on the practice thingy outside the game. During the raid, the stress to hurry caused me to screw it up at first. On my fifth or sixth Shroud run, one of the first on my wizard, I was excited to actually get my puzzle done in a timely manner, with no help. I burst out of that room like a horse let loose in the pasture, off to run my water, right? Like people are always fussing at us to do. "Run some damn water, people!" Well, I was off to get my own damn water.

Coming back, someone had already sated the thirst of the face in my room, so I wait across the hall, where the barrier is still up. Down goes the barrier, and I run in past the two people standing near the puzzle, and stuffed it right in that big stone face.

>>>blam<<<

Puzzle wasn't done.

"Really?"
    "Why did you DO that??"
    "<miscellaneous griping over mic>"

I apologized profusely. I felt like a halfli...I mean...I felt really small.

My first time in Shroud was with a High Lords of Malkier guild run, and though they explained things, it's overload when you're going so fast and just trying to not die. I read several guides after that. And I *STILL* made the mistake.

Apparently, I should have fully re-read the guide every single time, line for line, because I missed the BOLD and asterisked line about not using the water before the puzzle was solved. It was my first time standing on the outside of one of those pink barriers looking in, and the excitement got the better of me.

It cost 11 others those two chests. With a mouse-click, I probably blew away a half a million plat or more, right? I will never do that again. Hopefully, neither will the OTHERS in that group who didn't already know. But somebody will.

My best suggestion is to effect the change you want. Communicate it and teach it. Even if there is no "right" way, it's good to know why people want it "their way". I appreciated this thread, just letting you know it's not wasted keystrokes.

And if you ran this with Seerius a couple of weeks ago when I blew up your chests in Part 3, your check is in the mail.

Which is why, of course, I've mentioned multiple times this is about hard and elite. =)

As far as people dieing with low hp...well, I'm a cleric and I try to keep people up. I usually have no problem on hard with sub 250 hp toons. I'll try to keep that squishy rogue with his evasion and sneak attack up and alive any day. I've seen 600 hp fighters get torn to shreds because of a wail and the misfortune of randomly getting all blades. Tough luck for him eh? In any case, giving up dps because of a lazy wail or "they have low hp let them die" just doesn't make much sense to me. Especially when a teeny tiny minuscule amount of strategy avoids it.

I mean, really, I know it's a game, but how lazy are we to use no strategy?

Hard and elite are pretty fun, sarlona should do it more often....sometimes you fail....but it's not like we're playing dark souls.
    I know you said it's hard/elite. Some other people didn't.

What I mean with the low HP thing is that they'll die fast to the boss even if they do survive the blades, with the exception of evasion toons. Maybe I shouldn't say this in public...but my first Shroud run ever I was a level 17 pally with barely 300 HP, I couldn't survive at all. And I had good enough saves, I was making my reflexes for half enough, I just didn't have the HP to survive between heals.

I'm not going to say people don't die to blades, but I've only seen it maybe once or twice, even including the 12 or so hard/elite runs I've been in. Casters stay behind the blades, melees stay inside the ring of blades and when the blades close in they dash out of the ring and I don't see how you can get hit by a huge load of blades doing that.

In normal we can ignore this and go about our killing, in hard and elite not so much. Your wail, because you are so super über, kills all of them, spawning dozens and dozens of blades.

Particularly when the raid leader says: hey, wizzards, don't cast wail, thanks. Let them be killed one at a time and wait the 20 seconds for the blades to disappear.
    This is where I make myself unpopular with a bunch of well respected names both on the forums, and in the game..

Frankly in the Party leader(Yanno, the guy hosting the party, grilling the dogs, and burgers, and buying the booze..) say's "Only use Shurikens on harry at part 3, thanks." You got 3 choices. Pike, Throw stars, or GTFO.

His party, if he say's mustard is not allowed on hotdogs at his house.. Do with-out or get-out. It might be a different case if he sends you a tell and beg's you to come along(And/or call the shots), but if you can't go to a strangers party, and be civil, and mind his rules.. the right call is to leave.

I mean obviously if the bad ass wailing wizard really could solo it, or wail away with their leet private groups.. they wouldn't be in a pug LFM in the first place 'eh?
    Hart o Gold Hart o Song
    14 RaS , 6 SaD Guildmaster
    Heroes of Gallifrey | Sarlona
    14 KoTC, 5 DWS 1 Ftr

Quote Originally Posted by Malakuy View Post
    Coming back, someone had already sated the thirst of the face in my room, so I wait across the hall, where the barrier is still up. Down goes the barrier, and I run in past the two people standing near the puzzle, and stuffed it right in that big stone face.

>>>blam<<<

Puzzle wasn't done.

"Really?"
    "Why did you DO that??"
    "<miscellaneous griping over mic>"

I apologized profusely. I felt like a halfli...I mean...I felt really small.

My first time in Shroud was with a High Lords of Malkier guild run, and though they explained things, it's overload when you're going so fast and just trying to not die. I read several guides after that. And I *STILL* made the mistake.
    Well, I think this is also an effect of guild exclusivity fallout -- you know, the fear of blacklisting that gets spread around. All the newbies are so worked up, they either forget what they've learned, or they're too afraid to speak up when they're asked if they're new, which compounds the problems.
    "Why is stuff so hard?" - William Murderface

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeebaNeighba View Post

What I mean with the low HP thing is that they'll die fast to the boss even if they do survive the blades, with the exception of evasion toons. Maybe I shouldn't say this in public...but my first Shroud run ever I was a level 17 pally with barely 300 HP, I couldn't survive at all. And I had good enough saves, I was making my reflexes for half enough, I just didn't have the HP to survive between heals.
    I don't think you dieing was your fault. A pally saving for half with 300 shouldn't die to Harry, IMHO that was your healers fault...he likely did not use bridge mass cures and was just spamming mass heal. Most healers will pop some bridge cures between the mass heals to help out while the mass cools down. A 300 pally would always be welcome in my hard groups. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    Who cares if people die in the Shroud? Just complete without them, geez.
    You are the kind that zerg and people die or did I just misunderstood you?
    The Rogues Guild - Sarlona
    How did that get in here? Hay give that back O that’s yours? Sorry
    Gordgray Gord of gray Hawk Rogues do it from behind

I don't think you dieing was your fault. A pally saving for half with 300 shouldn't die to Harry, IMHO that was your healers fault...he likely did not use bridge mass cures and was just spamming mass heal. Most healers will pop some bridge cures between the mass heals to help out while the mass cools down. A 300 pally would always be welcome in my hard groups. =)
    Yes, blame the healers for not dumping the mana on the 300hp low dps manasponge. THe way I see it is, if you can't survive between two mass heals on normal with two healers, it's time to work on your HP.
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Kages View Post
    Shroud has a difficulty other than elite? News to me.

What is this "Shroud" of which you all are speaking?....we have heard tell of it on Thelanis, but local legends can be a bit dicey in their factuality....
    Elegorne- 20 Dwarf Bard TR/Artigorne-16 WF Arti/Wizegorne the Gimp-20 Human Wizard/Healegorne 18 Dwarf Wannabe-Cleric and other assorted gimps -- Thelanis-Proud Officer of Dragonspire Legion

Quote Originally Posted by gordgray View Post
    You are the kind that zerg and people die or did I just misunderstood you?
    If you mean that I run stuff efficiently and let the dead weight die then you are absolutely right!
    Distributed - Currently on life 90.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elegorne View Post
    What is this "Shroud" of which you all are speaking?....we have heard tell of it on Thelanis, but local legends can be a bit dicey in their factuality....
    It is a sarlona thing, slang for "head-ache with pugs".
    Eternal Wrath - Kages - Prototypes - Rest ful - Musei - Dizafrabdont - Enkou - Kagehissori - many more"To be human is to have the freedom to control one's own fate." ~Karl Marx~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ilindith View Post
    If you mean that I run stuff efficiently and let the dead weight die then you are absolutely right!
    ^what he said.
    Eternal Wrath - Kages - Prototypes - Rest ful - Musei - Dizafrabdont - Enkou - Kagehissori - many more"To be human is to have the freedom to control one's own fate." ~Karl Marx~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123