Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Players are content

James Portnow once said: "players are content."

Seeing all the long term players who have done so much for this server and game as a whole leaving saddens me. So the content of this game is getting worse, not better.

I don't blame them either. I've felt like leaving out of boredom for awhile, but my online friends have kept me in it so far. But I am seeing more and more of them leaving, which in turn is forcing me to get more enjoyment out of the game itself.

The new expansion is great. The art, story, it is all good and fun. The change in the mechanics of the game has taken all of that goodness and thrown it away. I won't get into what got buffed and what got nerfed, but that whole thing is turning me off; but like what everyone has been saying: the game is too easy, the loot is too easy to get, and I hate a lot of what they did to the combat.

A lot of the skilled, knowledgable folks are leaving. This makes me a sad panda.

Discuss here. Since this type of discussion is closing down some respected people's good-bye threads.

P.S. typing on my phone - sorry for the mess!
    Last edited by Dragaer; 07-17-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Heading to the bar to find me some new content

Community Member themoonbreaker's Avatar

I hate to be the one to point it out, but every game has a life cycle. You can't expect a single game to keep people engaged and challenged for a lifetime.

DDO has a relatively long lifespan now, but eventually people will get bored and leave. Chasing after the power gamers can kill a game because they can't be satisfied for long.

A cycle of new players is the lifeblood of an MMO
    The Moon Breaker A DDO Novel Series. Online or epub versions

What are zombies doing locked in deposit boxes at Lordsmarch Bank? Find out in Stormreach Syndicate

You're too uber for ep hard, do everything ep elite; what do ye think we would have done back in the day? Don't recall a time where we ever dropped the difficulty for anything unless it was 3 or 4 guildies and the rest filthy puggers...

Don't tell me IS made ye drop your standards :P
    Fylakas ??* Fylakia ??* Fyl ??* Drfyl
    ??* Thelanis ??* Storm Lords ??*
    ??* Go Elf or go home ??*
    (Error): You can't dismiss members of your party while they're in a dungeon.

I'm still here!

Seriously though, I think the game needed a big update and on that point many folks agree. Inevitably though, the bigger changes you make the greater the risk that you will upset people. Thelanis itself is rude health. In the months leading up to the update I would stare at the LFM panel despondently, before trudging off starting another "IP" pug. That was as much because of the lack of questing options as much as anything else. Now we have loads and the social panel changes/updates so often that I've misclicked into the wrong LFM twice. Never did that before U14.

It is a cycle, and people were bound to be upset. Personally? I'm getting on with it and getting ready for EE's. (makes very masculine roaring noise and beats chest).

[Edited because I may get mistaken here. Don't get me wrong. I'm not mad at any of the forumites, devs or turbine itself (well, maybe some of them). I'm mad at the changes and how they affected my fun]

I'm not getting bored here. I'm getting sad.
    I still love DnD and think I will always do.

This game saddens me. I know they are seeking balance, and I know it cannot have the same rules as DnD. It's a completely new experience here. Right.

But when you spend money/time to buy/farm something advertised and once you purchase/loot you see said thing become something worthless, something you would not spend your money/time on... it's really sad.

Let's say:
    You bought yourself a brand new car with a horse logo, cabriolet, turbo, red, which you have been dreaming about since you was a toddler.
    Let's say the horse logo company decides this car is too fast, too awesome, and too convertible.

Next morning you wake up and there's a green Lada on your garage.

You complain only to hear other people say: Hey!! But I love Laika/Niva/Samara! And I think it's for the best, because I can't drive a car that fast and didn't know how to switch gears or lower the cover!!

BUT I HAVE PAID FOR A FOGGING FERRARI!!!
    I would not have taken my wallet out of my pocket if it was to buy a dang shoe box!!
    And they know it!

I'm not content here, see?
    = Content
    = Not content.
    Last edited by zeonardo; 07-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It can certainly hurt to be on the receiving end of a nerf

Talking Strongs Only!

This message is not to offend anyone, its just my personal opinion.

Listen before everyone hit the ejector seats and heads for the exit sign, realize these changes aren't set in stone by any means. They "Turbine" are listening (they might not show it ) but they are on standby if the proverbial **** hits the fan. If you really want a challenge pug with heroic Elites, completing some of these quest with under geared, noob like pugs are like completing your very first ELOB or Echrono. I like the changes to difficulty level for the mere fact it wakes the pug up and now he's got to bring something to the table, no more riding coattails piking to the finish line.

I for one approve 100% of the change to heroic elites and Epic Elites. Bout freakn time

IMO Step up or Step out

I can cry all day and say boohoo its not fair i acquired every epic piece of gear before everyone when the times were much harder, when noobs can go with lvl 25s and solo everything now. Who cares all i care now is give me my new shineys.

I have an idea Listen up turbine....
    Bring back the scroll seal shard format for epic elites....
    makes newer weapons and items for the Epic elite completions ONLY! based on EE commendations + scroll, seal, shard. I don't mind you giving the new guys some shineys but there has to be a line when a new guy and vet are differentiated this is the way.

Make the powergamers work again and crank it up a notch or two while your at it.
    Last edited by superpokerman; 07-16-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
    Hulk Smash!

Quote Originally Posted by zeonardo View Post
    But when you spend money/time to buy/farm something advertised and once you purchase/loot you see said thing become something worthless, something you would not spend your money/time on... it's really sad.
    I've been a devout Deathnip user on both my characters that melee since I capped them; I'm pretty sure that when Turbine is trying to figure out what to nerf next they check my characters.

And your metaphor is perfectly valid... You can't tell me that you refused to buy a car simply because it wasn't going to be in driving condition 5 years later

Everything gets old and needs to be replaced. Except Seven-Fingered Gloves...

Quote Originally Posted by barakhiel View Post
    You can't tell me that you refused to buy a car simply because it wasn't going to be in driving condition 5 years later
    Ehrr...Did I mention driving condition?

Sorry if I wasn't clear:

Here.
    Hope it does the trick.
    I don't care...

I actualy like the new update now that they have adressed some of the bugs (still need to work on more)

And i would of rather waitied a mounth for them to release a less buggy expansion too.

BUt for the most part the expansion is great, I like most if not all the changes.

What I dont like is that they reverted back to the old says of NHE....

Normal in the old days was fairly easy and after you capped this what u ran for easy fast completion because

Elite was only nothing more then favor a one time deal and that was it no real benifit from running normal over elite once you obtained the favor.

Elite is great but the reward is not there and all revert back to normal.

make elite worth repeating over normal and then it changes the game.

yes the drop rate is higher on elite so i hear.... but when u can run normal 3x or more in the time it takes to do elite run that higher drop rate is well worthless.

Things exclusive to elite would be a option, like epic dungeon tokens (they can get there gear on normal but they cant upgrade them unless they run them on elite)

I'm having a great time... The changes don't bother me at all.

Ton of fun leveling up and getting new loot, and new abilities and new content.

A lot more fun than 3 months ago when all we were doing is grinding epics and getting 1/3 of an item you're working on after a week or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragaer View Post
    Seeing all the long term players who have done so much for this server and game as a whole leaving saddens me. So the content of this game is getting worse, not better.
    I dont see all the long term players leaving, I just see some players ragequiting without even explaining the reasons they do . I have read nothing other than" the game sucks in ways i cant explain turbine you suck goodbye ".

And even the same people that write this dont even really quit..

The expansion has changed the game indeed and people need to adopt or help change it to better.

PS
    When you say they have done so much for this server and the game ,what do you mean?

Community Member akiraproject24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superpokerman View Post
    This message is not to offend anyone, its just my personal opinion.

Listen before everyone hit the ejector seats and heads for the exit sign, realize these changes aren't set in stone by any means. They "Turbine" are listening (they might not show it ) but they are on standby if the proverbial **** hits the fan. If you really want a challenge pug with heroic Elites, completing some of these quest with under geared, noob like pugs are like completing your very first ELOB or Echrono. I like the changes to difficulty level for the mere fact it wakes the pug up and now he's got to bring something to the table, no more riding coattails piking to the finish line.

I for one approve 100% of the change to heroic elites and Epic Elites. Bout freakn time

IMO Step up or Step out

I can cry all day and say boohoo its not fair i acquired every epic piece of gear before everyone when the times were much harder, when noobs can go with lvl 25s and solo everything now. Who cares all i care now is give me my new shineys.

I have an idea Listen up turbine....
    Bring back the scroll seal shard format for epic elites....
    makes newer weapons and items for the Epic elite completions ONLY! based on EE commendations + scroll, seal, shard. I don't mind you giving the new guys some shineys but there has to be a line when a new guy and vet are differentiated this is the way.

Make the powergamers work again and crank it up a notch or two while your at it.
    You didnt acquire those items before everyone...Id round it to about 3rd string in all honesty at the time.
    ThwartedFhalhaenaWrekkinWrexxMaisterThwarteddHematemesisRhayzedOffensiveReduction
    Pimpin toons since 2006

Don't Hate.... bro LOL

It doesn't suit you well.

JUST FOR LAUGHS AND GIGGLES WHO BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH??????

I'm willing to delete all my toon if you can prove me wrong.
    Hulk Smash!

I wonder how much the guy who bought the first PS2 cried when Sony released the PS3...

Quote Originally Posted by barakhiel View Post
    I wonder how much the guy who bought the first PS2 cried when Sony released the PS3...
    Did Sony erase all PS2 from existence?
    I have PS1 PS2 and PS3 and I'm pretty happy with them.
    I can still play my PS2 games on my PS3.

They didn't downgrade PS2 to an 8bit system upon launching PS3.
    That's what happened here.
    I don't care...

I was in the process of thinking up a witty response in regards to my play experience with WF characters, but I decided that you are probably right, a stagnant game is much more fun.

Edit: Good heavens, I must have /trollface hotkeyed or something...
    Last edited by barakhiel; 07-16-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by backandforth View Post

The expansion has changed the game indeed and people need to adopt or help change it to better.
    That made me laugh! Put your recently adquire children to play DDO, that will make things better.

Default dont know about you

I've seen alot more activity on the server since the update. Sorry that your gameplay experiance isnt what you wanted. No one cares

Zydeca lvl 20 tr cleric Zydecoe lvl 20 tr fvs Kattniss lvl 20 arcane archer

Default I approve

Quote Originally Posted by Abbeville View Post
    I've seen alot more activity on the server since the update. Sorry that your gameplay experiance isnt what you wanted. No one cares
    Exactly, I think people need to adapt to the changes. It's nice to see that many players in the same instance and various groups trying the same quest.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

I was devastated the first time I logged on my Monk/Fighter/Ranger and got my ass kicked on Heroic Elite I almost cried. I had no idea what to do and was furious how the people I took for "gimps" got a buff while IMO my build was total ****.

Then I logged on my Cleric and wiped the first two runs, was disappointed on myself. I didn't played in 3 days straight, until I decided to LR my Monk. I went full on with my heart doing the exact opposite as what I had planed, it ended working great.

I took my Cleric to do the new chain(s), it was great. Great people all around, people I had never played before were doing so great. She sits now at 1002 hp, solo'd In The Demons Den elite (thing I couldn't believe), and some other EE quests in the Demonweb and Schyindrylin (Portal Town).

I've took her out her ToD retirement just for kicks, and everything now goes better than expected.

Anyways my point is, try to get out the first stage "Character Depression". Once you realize the changes ain't that great you'll be happy with yourself and the game. If you think the game now is boring or silly, roll a new account, make a new character, try feats that seem stupid. Just go out there and try the game; games are meant to be fun.

In my opinion the new changes make parties more like they should be. At least on EE, you need a solid party. With people that either know what they are doing or can pay attention.

PS: I now it's was full of unnecessary things but what you expect, server it's down.

Edit: I'm not content with the game, I still excited and amazed at how well Turbine did this time. Great job.
    Last edited by Ssdprref; 07-16-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Farm Epic Elite Chests by yourself.
    Hide of Goristro ~5 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNIwV...ature=youtu.be
    Spider Silk & Stone Heart ~2 Mins http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSABE...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast