Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player types

Community Member

Default Player types

(some may fit into more than one category. 2-3-4 actually are seen together all too often whereas 5 and 6 can be conflicting goals).

1) adventurer
    - treats each quest/raid as an adventure
    - enjoys exploring new areas; preferably with people who have not been there before
    - treats changes in the game as welcome additions

2) role enforcer
    - has a set role in mind for every class
    - unable to comprehend anything beyond the most generalized versions of class roles
    - probably still crapping their pants because epic destinies are so flexible

3) repeater
    - does the same quests in the same way over and over and over and over again
    - blows a gasket if someone does something different than expected
    - out of habit, has "know it" in lfm even if the quest just came out five minutes ago

4) grinder
    - grinds experience til 20. tr's. repeats
    - no recollection of why they wanted experience in the first place

5) crafter
    - knows every type of crafting in the game and can build anything
    - talks endlessly about what they've built
    - sneers at inferior equipment
    - puts "be geared" in every lfm. even korthos village

6) merchant
    - has more millions than even they know about
    - buys and sells daily
    - would probably choose another million coins over another million experience

7) sponge
    - needs every scroll, shard, seal, and other shiny in the game
    - never turns over anything they pull to anyone else
    - always rolls on everything
    - probably has 10 of the same shard in a bag somewhere but is too compulsive to turn another one down

8) quitter
    - threatens to quit at least once a month
    - uses the word nerf at least 10 times a day
    - hates new content before they even see it

9) heal hater
    - hides behind pillars (see tip #170), around corners, and behind walls and then blames the healer when dead
    - never goes near a healer with healing aura. runs if they approach... then complains if healer runs low on mana
    - dies inside if a healer casts an offensive spell
    - assumes the healer is a dolt and hands them a pot in the middle of battle which causes death because the
    healer is too busy clicking cancel on trade to heal. leaves party when healer links the stack of 40 major pots.

10) kill counter
    - constantly updates everyone on the kill count (especially if ahead)
    - if not a head, updates everyone anyway and makes an excuse
    - would rather kill 10 baby spiders that can't hit the party than kill one boss that could cause a wipe

11) team player
    - often confused with adventurer. very similar but with flexibility that goes far beyond the norm
    - can provide functions that are not normal to the current character class
    - will always return for a fallen comrade
    - gives directions when necessary

12) farmer
    - similar to a grinder, except with goals in mind other than experience
    - has 100 tapestry shreds in bank, at least 20 of each relic, and more scales than you've ever seen
    - has everything they need for any purpose before they even know they need it
    - occasional bouts of farmer be caused by drooling over a particular rare drop. the true farmer farms beyond the need and into the realm of might someday need maybe.

Community Member

13) tool
    -Claims to be a 'leatherman, jack of all trades", sucks at everything they do.
    -Often gives advice on how to fix your UI, display issues or general game issues, yet tends to be wrong.
    Toons:
    Smallmans Syndrome, Rovac, Dragnipur, Prettyhater Machine, Lubed, Castinfist
    Emmpeethree, Hyperkill Hyperthrill and Greyvegas (All on Khyber)

Community Member

Who the **** grinds taps and relics. I don't even loot them anymore when I tr through gh and orchard.
    Shammrock
    Roshammbo
    Many, many mules...

14) Compulsive Babysitter
    - Heals and buffs to the exclusion of all else
    - Gets uppity if demands to walk in aura are not met
    - Considers it an accomplishment to reach the next shrine at 50% sp
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Community Member

Default Category 9

I understand now, why so many healers dont like to run on difficult settings in a PUG.

Today I met category 9 guy: No AC, PRR, DR and low hp as a lvl17 fighter (legend). Blamed me when he died from full hp to dead in 2 seconds in orthon/devil fight.

Regards the healer, who needs "learn to heal"
    EU player since release, US player since winter 2009.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

On #9 should add used CON as dump stat and has no heavy fort Met a few in my 6+ years of adventuring here in Eberron

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

lol, out of +1s for the day...

15) completionist project ~ suitably crazy

Community Member

Default Nice breakdown

This is a good attempt at categorization of the typical DDO player.

Unfortunately, in my time playing this game, I've seen just about every kind of combination of all of these at some point or another. No exact shoe fits any single player, and most are some kind of hybrid between several or all of your categories (yes even if conflicting because if its one thing you see in this game a lot, its conflicting play style, statements, actions, goals, etc.), and some categories are missing:

1. Solo player. There are people that almost exclusively solo.

2. Static group player. There are players that run in static groups exclusively.

3. Perma-death player. You won't see them in PUGS.

4. Piker. Yes, everybody's favorite!

5. Piker Friendly. My favorite are "piker friendly" LFM's, i.e.: free chests, free xp, stand at door and pike! Hey what a community!

6. Dual Boxer. Some do this almost exclusively now it seems.

7. Many others........

Quote Originally Posted by Lechesis View Post
    (some may fit into more than one category. 2-3-4 actually are seen together all too often whereas 5 and 6 can be conflicting goals).

1) adventurer
    - treats each quest/raid as an adventure
    - enjoys exploring new areas; preferably with people who have not been there before
    - treats changes in the game as welcome additions

2) role enforcer
    - has a set role in mind for every class
    - unable to comprehend anything beyond the most generalized versions of class roles
    - probably still crapping their pants because epic destinies are so flexible

3) repeater
    - does the same quests in the same way over and over and over and over again
    - blows a gasket if someone does something different than expected
    - out of habit, has "know it" in lfm even if the quest just came out five minutes ago

4) grinder
    - grinds experience til 20. tr's. repeats
    - no recollection of why they wanted experience in the first place

5) crafter
    - knows every type of crafting in the game and can build anything
    - talks endlessly about what they've built
    - sneers at inferior equipment
    - puts "be geared" in every lfm. even korthos village

6) merchant
    - has more millions than even they know about
    - buys and sells daily
    - would probably choose another million coins over another million experience

7) sponge
    - needs every scroll, shard, seal, and other shiny in the game
    - never turns over anything they pull to anyone else
    - always rolls on everything
    - probably has 10 of the same shard in a bag somewhere but is too compulsive to turn another one down

8) quitter
    - threatens to quit at least once a month
    - uses the word nerf at least 10 times a day
    - hates new content before they even see it

9) heal hater
    - hides behind pillars (see tip #170), around corners, and behind walls and then blames the healer when dead
    - never goes near a healer with healing aura. runs if they approach... then complains if healer runs low on mana
    - dies inside if a healer casts an offensive spell
    - assumes the healer is a dolt and hands them a pot in the middle of battle which causes death because the
    healer is too busy clicking cancel on trade to heal. leaves party when healer links the stack of 40 major pots.

10) kill counter
    - constantly updates everyone on the kill count (especially if ahead)
    - if not a head, updates everyone anyway and makes an excuse
    - would rather kill 10 baby spiders that can't hit the party than kill one boss that could cause a wipe

11) team player
    - often confused with adventurer. very similar but with flexibility that goes far beyond the norm
    - can provide functions that are not normal to the current character class
    - will always return for a fallen comrade
    - gives directions when necessary

12) farmer
    - similar to a grinder, except with goals in mind other than experience
    - has 100 tapestry shreds in bank, at least 20 of each relic, and more scales than you've ever seen
    - has everything they need for any purpose before they even know they need it
    - occasional bouts of farmer be caused by drooling over a particular rare drop. the true farmer farms beyond the need and into the realm of might someday need maybe.
    RTFM on Khyber

Such a fantastic world is khyber
    Donabbondio dei Promessi Sposi(Monk)|Coremin(Arti)|Lozotico di Paese(Barb)|Mandolino Funebre(Bard under TR)| Patagaio il Macellaio (Fighter)| Porcosorcio Lo Zozzone(Sorc)
    Proud Officer of "Cavalieri dei Draghi" (Khyber)

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

Talking

Call me #1 above everything else.

I love adventure!

But I hate the new changes, lol. They were made by brain-dead people.

+===Adventure Time!===>
    Last edited by Wraith_Sarevok; 07-17-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

Role Player?
    Khyber - Nuic (TR), Zapn (TR), Alixer, Nuiq

What would be more interesting is a breakdown of types of forum posters...

Name: Whiner
    Type: Encompassing epic nerdrage and unwarranted self importance.
    Quote: I just logged in and my x has been nerfed!

Name: Trolls
    Type: Lives to grief, usually whiners because they're an easier target.
    Quote: /Not signed Warforged have been overpowered since forever, poison immunity was overpowered to begin with.

There are probably others. Too lazy to think of some.

Posts like this? Off topic and slightly trollish?

Problem?

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░
    ░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░
    ░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░
    █░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█
    [/post]

Community Member

Default Make your fame

Yeah, make your fame and start a new thread in General Discussions.....I have a hunch it might end up being a very long thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Mathermune View Post
    What would be more interesting is a breakdown of types of forum posters...

Name: Whiner
    Type: Encompassing epic nerdrage and unwarranted self importance.
    Quote: I just logged in and my x has been nerfed!

Name: Trolls
    Type: Lives to grief, usually whiners because they're an easier target.
    Quote: /Not signed Warforged have been overpowered since forever, poison immunity was overpowered to begin with.

There are probably others. Too lazy to think of some.

Posts like this? Off topic and slightly trollish?

Problem?

░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░
    ░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░
    ░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░
    ░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░█░░
    ░▄▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░░█░
    █░▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒░█
    RTFM on Khyber

Quote Originally Posted by Machination View Post
    Yeah, make your fame and start a new thread in General Discussions.....I have a hunch it might end up being a very long thread....
    It would take precisely no work either, I could just make one or two incorrect generalizations and watch as it erupted behind me. As I say though. I only slightly troll...

As for my playstyle, wrenching the thread back to where it started.

I exclusively PuG or solo.
    My guild is a solo guild (Level 28 but making out like a boss after those ship wipes)
    I almost always play as my artificer
    I'm pretty good at sharing my heal scrolls and raise deadz if the party is genuinely trying.
    My goal is XP to TR into third life but will stop there.
    Try to be polite but don't use voice chat.

What does that make me? (Aside from the obvious. Thanks)

Permanewb?
    Casualartiste?
    Misanthrope?
    Last edited by Mathermune; 07-17-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    [/post]

16) Salieri
    - Patron Saint of Mediocrity
    - Hubris does not match ability
    - Wastes huge amounts of time forming parties while checking MYDDO - with almost no resulting benefit

Mr. Mandatory Ship Buffs:

- Will always wait until the party is completely formed and waiting at the quest entrance to get ship buffs, in order to maximize ship buff time.
    - Will force a party to wait midway through a chain for 10 minutes if he dies while he gets ship buffs again.
    - Will rebuff ship buffs if they dip below 30 minutes (afterall the buffs are half empty)
    - After all that, will berate YOU for slowing HIM down if you don't have ship buffs.

Sigh. Ship buffs. I'd pay 10 TP for a consumable (that is not bound) that instantly activates every buff on my ship on my current target.

Quote Originally Posted by riexau View Post

- Will always wait until the party is completely formed and waiting at the quest entrance to get ship buffs, in order to maximize ship buff time.
    - Will force a party to wait midway through a chain for 10 minutes if he dies while he gets ship buffs again.
    - Will rebuff ship buffs if they dip below 30 minutes (afterall the buffs are half empty)
    - After all that, will berate YOU for slowing HIM down if you don't have ship buffs.

Sigh. Ship buffs. I'd pay 10 TP for a consumable (that is not bound) that instantly activates every buff on my ship on my current target.
    - In addition to the above, gets ship buffs for his arty dog / druid wolf...

Quote Originally Posted by gphysalis View Post
    - In addition to the above, gets ship buffs for his arty dog / druid wolf...
    That is a legitimate tactic! I tend to leave it at Str/con and the resists, but even so, worthwhile.

If only they ship crew members could understand.

"Hi! I'm Lavora, of House Jorasco. If you like, I can grant you a blessing that will make all healing directed towards you more effective."

"Bark"

"Timmy's fallen down a mineshaft you say? You should ask one of the dwarfs in House Kundarak"

"bark "
    [/post]

Default I'll play

#15 The forum whiner
    - Gets mad that not everyone sees they are uber so goes on the forum to passive aggressively insult everyone who does not conform to their playstyle

#16 The olde timer
    - Starts every excuse with "Well when I played PnP..." Usually has plenty of time to do this because for some reason their 8 CON 22 Dex 18 Wisdom wizard that was all the rage in PnP seems to always be a soul stone

#~ The Rager
    - Usually not a bad player but needs to switch to Decaf. Screams at everything that does not go exactly how they plan, if people don't step EXACTLY where they want. Like the control freak, but funny because of the screaming and wheezing. Does not pair well with

#% The Blinded
    - Decides even if they join a PUG they are going to do what they want to do and no one else is going to tell them what to do, because this worked before in PnP...wait...

#^ The BrokeBack Mountain
    - Not what you think, sickos, this is the player that just can't quit you (you being the quest, not you specifically). Will trudge on and on and on and on, dying over and over, and never give up, making you feel like a tool for leaving after you are fighting mobs with a club of the silver flame naked.
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by Llewndyn View Post
    #15 The forum whiner
    - Gets mad that not everyone sees they are uber so goes on the forum to passive aggressively insult everyone who does not conform to their playstyle

#16 The olde timer
    - Starts every excuse with "Well when I played PnP..." Usually has plenty of time to do this because for some reason their 8 CON 22 Dex 18 Wisdom wizard that was all the rage in PnP seems to always be a soul stone

#~ The Rager
    - Usually not a bad player but needs to switch to Decaf. Screams at everything that does not go exactly how they plan, if people don't step EXACTLY where they want. Like the control freak, but funny because of the screaming and wheezing. Does not pair well with

#% The Blinded
    - Decides even if they join a PUG they are going to do what they want to do and no one else is going to tell them what to do, because this worked before in PnP...wait...

#^ The BrokeBack Mountain
    - Not what you think, sickos, this is the player that just can't quit you (you being the quest, not you specifically). Will trudge on and on and on and on, dying over and over, and never give up, making you feel like a tool for leaving after you are fighting mobs with a club of the silver flame naked.
    This one made me laugh!

Every 'generalization' I've read on this thread, I can put a name to in Khyber. I think I now have secret nicknames for people! =D
    Khyber -- Leader of The Helpers Guild
    Characters - Spadeqt, Nitauni, Spaarky, Halfpryce, Spadertot, Zynzii

"9 out of 10 potatoes wish they could be a Spadertot"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast