Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thank you Khyber.

This is my second forum post, so forgive me if this is not the right place to put this.

But khyber. You guys are awesome. I'm playing my druid, who shared my forum name "KidKross" Which is still lv 8.
    (I'm exploring low level-content that isnt giving xp (or very little xp) for both Favor, and for Lore reasons).

Anyways, So I'm playing my druid, which is not only lv 8. But a 28 point build.

When I made a post, "Just wanted to say hi". I was not expecting all the responses.
    Soon after making that post. I recieved various in-game tells by people telling me "welcome" and "If you have any questions, just ask".

I can now say that i have 20+ People on my friends list that are just plain helpful and nice and seem to have all the time in the world to answer whatever question may be on my mind at the time.

I just wanted to say thank you for all the in-game mail i have recieved.

I have recieved 20 tapestry peices (which i was told to craft a minos helm)
    I have also recieved green steel goggles( and all the mats required to make a "Con opp" item, which i've deduced to be concordant opposition (please correct me if i'm wrong)
    +6 wis ring
    +6 con ring
    greater false life belt

I wanted to say thank you, but at the same time say that I'd like to earn my items. I dont mean to sound ungrateful because I'm not. But I dont want to be carried through this. I understand your being nice and kind and extremely generous. But I'm not really learning the game If everything is done for me. Its why i've kind of refused to join TR groups. Not because your not skilled or anything, because you are. Its just hard to learn a quest when your able to run past everything and fight it all in one big pile because you are all extremely geared.

I've leveled so much in such a short time, I'm still sorting out my spell lists on what is useful and what is not and how to use which spell in what situation, and should i maximize, should i empower? Is it cost effective to hit the fire elemental with creeping cold without metamagics, or use maximize and empower to kill it quicker to minimize the damage caused versus healing i have to do. You see? I'm still learning the game, still have alot of questions that need answering.

Thats all, I dont mean to sound rude, believe me, I'm extremely grateful. But I'm very new to game, I do not need to be walking around oozing extremely powerful magical items, yet at the same time being noob. It sets a bad precedence, and raises expectations.

I explained my "Woes" to another kind player who very kindly explained that "Its far better for you to get carried through quests if your new. Just stand in the haste circle, keep up, and watch what everyone else does. A good role for you as a druid will be a healer. Healers are generally watching the players anyway, so its a very good opportunity to learn the game. My hint of advice. Use the items that you've been given. It wont hurt anything. And if you feel like you still need to learn the game after hitting cap, Just TR. TR"ing requires more experience to level, and I can tell by your playstyle that you like to take your time. This should give you the time to learn the game a little better."

Again, thank you khyber for being understanding. You guys are awesome.
    Last edited by KidKross; 07-16-2012 at 08:39 AM.

I know where you're coming from. I don't just want to know how to run a quest in the most efficient manner possible, I want to know *why* that method is the most efficient. I want to *understand* the game, not just memorize it. But hey, that's just me. To each their own.

But I'm also a pretty casual player, so that means I don't spend hours reading the Wiki or grinding for teh uber lootz.

Mostly, though, I just want to have fun.

Kudos to you for wanting to make your own way, and happy questing.
    You are responsible for your own DDO experience.

OK colour me confused.

Firstly, we have a new player that a) Wants to learn the game b) wants to earn his/her own items and c) not have everything handed to them at once.

Secondly, people on Khyber are giving gear away and being nice.

I know that the discovery of the Higgs the other day will have fairly wide reaching effects within physics but the fact that it appears to of opened up a wormhole to a alternative reality within DDO has blown me away!

To KidKross,

Keep doing what your doing and you'll be fine.

Enjoy the ride and have fun

Regards
    Leader of Shrodingers Cat Support Group a Husband and Wife guild on Orien.
    Tolkiens Law: Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    Dresdens corollary:
    Screw subtle!

That's Khyber for you - even when we're nice we are crushing dreams.

"And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
    From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
    And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
    And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold. " - Millay

Community Member MasterOfWorlds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
    That's Khyber for you - even when we're nice we are crushing dreams.
    This is going in my sig.

Also, if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask if you see me in-game.
    Last edited by MasterOfWorlds; 07-16-2012 at 10:22 AM.
    Khyber - Arnonech/Dracnair/Rakashai/Arashtol
    "That's Khyber for you - even when we're nice we are crushing dreams."

dammit guys, you peepz are spoiling him!
    PS: Greensteel RUINED the game! and you all know it!
    less buffing, more nerfing!!!
    to make it easier for those of you that wants to avoid me in game, all my characters are in "Bladesworn Mercenaries"

Just for that, I am going to send you ALL THE THINGS!!!

ETA: I am thinking this is not your first MMO judging by the way you typed out the OP. If you have any questions on how to become more gimp, send me a Tell. I'll be glad to assist
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Quote Originally Posted by Blank_Zero View Post
    Just for that, I am going to send you ALL THE THINGS!!!

ETA: I am thinking this is not your first MMO judging by the way you typed out the OP. If you have any questions on how to become more gimp, send me a Tell. I'll be glad to assist
    Yeah, not my first mmo. My first and only other mmo was counter strike/ counter strike source.

The only real question i have in this game. Is why the story lines are not together.

I mean, The quests are so spread out in levels and stuff

Like, You get attacked by the White Dragon Aussircaex in Korthos. You see her again at lv 2-4 in misery peak. But then you dont get to see her until lv 16+ in reavers refuge.

Another example (a good one) is the Water works to Shan to'Kor chain. It flowed together nicely, and was one right after the other. But after shan-to-kor. The story line stops. At least from a lore perspective until you do Tempest spine (which i have yet to do).

Those are my real "issues" with the game. Other than that, I love it!

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Hi KidKross,

I was one of the folks that welcomed you to the game in your first thread on these forums. One thing about this game is it is about teamwork, and we prefer to make sure that folks that come on with their first post as respectfully and without a sense of entitlement as you did receive some benefit from it. Most of the people who sent you items have probably been here awhile and have multiple bank characters that can afford to send you an extra item or two, just for being nice with your first post and not coming on here saying gimme, gimme So again welcome to Khyber and good gaming

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by KidKross View Post
    Yeah, not my first mmo. My first and only other mmo was counter strike/ counter strike source.

The only real question i have in this game. Is why the story lines are not together.

Like, You get attacked by the White Dragon Aussircaex in Korthos. You see her again at lv 2-4 in misery peak. But then you dont get to see her until lv 16+ in reavers refuge.

Another example (a good one) is the Water works to Shan to'Kor chain. It flowed together nicely, and was one right after the other. But after shan-to-kor. The story line stops. At least from a lore perspective until you do Tempest spine (which i have yet to do).

There are other story lines that you have not gotten to yet due to your level that tie many of these stories and more together somewhat...there are also some that are their own story lines separate from any other (although as Turbine adds more content, they may tie it in to an existing line or five). The main reason they have some story lines tieing together and others that don't is the "pack" system that they changed it to when they changed the game model to combo VIP/P2P/F2P.

Some story lines got changed, others did not depending on what pay model people choose to do

Saal
    "Fools said I, you do not know. Silence like a cancer grows, hear my words that I might teach you, take my hand that I might reach you, but my words like silent raindrops fell...."-Paul Simon "Day after day, we caught no breath or motion. As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean."--Coleridge

Quote Originally Posted by KidKross View Post

The lore is one thing DDO didn't do very well. It's sad yes, but Saal hit the nail on the head. Turbine releases content to non-VIP players in Packs, or Modules as you might know them as. This means that each pack, unless specifically related to one another, has a different story arc, kind of like how in PnP, you would do a different adventure with a different goal every few sessions.

There is a sort of *Overarching Story* to all of this (or 2 or 3), but they do span several levels and stages of play. there's a post buried somewhere on these forums that has Ebberon's History sort of, to include some of the bigger arcs involved. One I'll tell you is the Devil Invasion which spans from level 6 til level 20 basically, but in small spurts at important levels. But things like the Sharn Syndicate chain are pretty much stand-alone, story-wise.

Hope that clears up some of the confusion you're having
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

If it makes you feel any better, the items that were sent to you will not carry you through the game. And by today's standards, they are all rather commonplace items. Those items will make your character more durable which in turn, makes the game considerably more enjoyable for you and your fellow questmates.

I admire your morals and wanting to do put in the time to get everything the ol' fashioned way but believe us, please use those items. Yes, you'll be a step ahead than some other random shmuck in the game. But then again, that same guy could have come to the same forums and introduced himself the same way and he could have gotten the same stuff.

Consider the gifts your "quest reward" for actually using the forums. The players in this game would be so much better if more actually utilized the wealth of info here. Then again, if that happened, we wouldn't have nearly as many people to make fun of either in game. Kind of a catch 22 there...
    (TR)
    Elite Raiders and Twilight Alliance guilds
    Journal of an Experienced Newbie - Level 1 thru 10 - (Melee)

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - Ecclesiastes 10:2 (NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by augie View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, the items that were sent to you will not carry you through the game. And by today's standards, they are all rather commonplace items. Those items will make your character more durable which in turn, makes the game considerably more enjoyable for you and your fellow questmates.

I admire your morals and wanting to do put in the time to get everything the ol' fashioned way but believe us, please use those items. Yes, you'll be a step ahead than some other random shmuck in the game. But then again, that same guy could have come to the same forums and introduced himself the same way and he could have gotten the same stuff.

Consider the gifts your "quest reward" for actually using the forums. The players in this game would be so much better if more actually utilized the wealth of info here. Then again, if that happened, we wouldn't have nearly as many people to make fun of either in game. Kind of a catch 22 there...

I understand. Its just I will never be able to say that i crafted my first greensteel or that I achieved my first minos helm. I mean, the only real times i get to play is on the weekends. Sometimes from like 8-10pm on weekdays. Central time. I know thats not good times, especially for raiding guilds. Its just i live so far from my work ,that it takes me an hour to get there, and almost double to get back because of 5 oclock traffic. And then i have to hit the rest shrine at home. then by the time i'm all rested its already 8 almost 9 pm..

Its just a matter of pride man. Thats all. I was a very competitve Counter Strike/ CSS player. This game is a very nice change of pace. I mean, I can actually get on, and I can expect people to NOT be trying to blow my head off. And who knows? I may revert back to type when i get a understanding of this game and what i want from it. Do i want to have all 3 lives of each class under my belt? Or do i want to aim toward a specific character build?

Alot of unanswered questions that pertain to what exactly I want out of this game. All will be made clear in time, but for now, Im content with doing whatever quest is next on the list. I'm going to unlock everything i can through favor

Community Member

Consider the gifts your "quest reward" for actually using the forums.
    I must have forgotten to hand in that one.

you received more in your week in DDO than I have from randoms and guildies in 6 years.

Gratz, you are the uberlooter.

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

Look for my barbarian.

Even though I don't have a lot of time to play during the week, I can show you some of the best gear in the game. If I have any money left, I can buy you some things. I don't focus too much on gearing multiple characters, so a lot of the stuff I find is useless and I give it away to others.
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

I misread the OP's name as Kriss Kross at first, so I wanted people to send him Jump clickies.

Community Member

dear kidkross,

when i started up ddo, i was playing with 2 RL friends who were equally new to ddo (but much better players than me, i admit), and we 3-manned all the quests, truely exploring them. takes way longer, but man, it's fun, never knowing when a trap hits you unless the rogue went first to disable them, and all the stuff there is to discover if you don't have vets or ddo wiki everything first. so keep exploring, enjoy the gifts you got, and have fun.
    oh yeah, and welcome to ddo
    stay curious ;D
    yours, agony...

You sure you're on the right server?

Seriously, though, nice to see a new player with such a balanced sense of how to go through the game.

You'll be fine here, we're lucky to have you.
    "Funny 'Ha-Ha, or Funny 'Uh-oh...'?
    Probably Funny 'Uh-Oh.'"
    Khyber - Mesaana, Samaeila Suncrusher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast