GRANDMASTER OF DEATH (EE focused non-healing blended divine)
I was hesitant to post my build for this mod for a couple of reasons: mainly because I don't want to offer up nerf bait on a platter and it will likely all change with the enhancement update. However I am receiving quite a few PM's and this will save me a fair chunk of time. I have tried to include a quick commentary about the choices I have made so I don't have to answer any questions.
A few quick caveats - PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE MAKING ANY KIND OF COMMITMENT.
1.Most importantly I am a Completionist on my 27th life or so. I have every piece of relevent gear available to me for the build. I cannot vouch for how it will work without all the past lives and gear. You have been warned!
2.This build is all about playstyle as is any triple-dimensional divine. What I enjoy and feel I play well might be a gimped mess on someone with a different playstyle type. You have been warned!
3. Your typical solid intuitive evoker build similar to impacts will likely outperform this one on EH/EN settings. It is built to strengthen the weaknesses of what many evokers and melee focused Divine often struggle with on EE. For an evoker : Spell pen ruining many instakills and the gobs of hit points neutering sustained divine nuking (assuming pot consumption is trying to be kept to a minimum) For a melee : limited half damage aoe and little to know crowd control options. It is built for longer fights and harder difficulties-that is where it shines. It's a blended style that isn't as strong as either type in their respective fields. I have found the combination approach to be very beneficial in EE however. If you tend to not play in EE you will likely find stronger easier to play builds out their. You have been warned!
4.It is focused on self healing only. I do not carry any mass heals. I am ok with that. My guildies are ok with that. Most of my friends are ok with that. Healing is becoming more and more onerous and I am spread far to thin to be able to do what I want to do offensively whilst keeping a party up. Just not gonna happen. Emergency heals - sure no problem. Emergency rezzes - sure no problem. Healing easy lower difficulty quests - sure no problem. Main healing raids - no deal. You COULD adjust things to do it. But you will be gimpy at it. Much smaller sp pool, less investment in life magic, no healing sla's means you are definitely inefficient. If you go the non healing route like myself you may very well be excluded from pug raids. You have been warned!
1. Supplement a high DC favored soul platform with solid sustainable spell point free melee dps. Build on as many synergies as possible.
2. Swiss army knife approach to killing things. Always have an effective way to kill mobs whether it be kiting through BB, stunning and meleeing while cycling through the lily petal line to generate a room clearing Everything is Nothing or using a very high DC Implosion to clear low SR EE mobs.
3. Maintain a very high everything is nothing DC. It is a devastating ability especially combined with an offensive casting/melee FVS platform.
4. Be completely self sufficient and self healing and an asset to any party despite not having group healing capabilities.
5. Build for EE destruction. EH/EN anything can tear through them. So building for those difficulties is overkill.
18 FVS /2 MNK/5GMoF Half Elf Lawful Nuetral
Str - 15+4(tome)+2(compl)+2(yugo)+2(ship)+2(rage)+3(prof ane)+6 (ench)=36
Dex -14+3(tome)+6(item)+2(compl) +2 ship+1 exc=28
Con -14+3tome+2 compl+2rag+2ship+2yug+10 item+1 enhance=36
Int - 8+4 tome+2 Completionist =14
Wis - 18+6(lvl)+3(enh) +6(epic) *+2(Yugo) +2(ship) +4(tome) +9(item) +2(alch) +2(compl) +2(ocean)= 56
Cha - 8+4 tome+7 item +2 Completionist=23
*You will need to adjust initial stats based on tomes you have available to you.
FEATS AND LEVELING PATTERN
1. Rogue Dilettante (fighter until you get access to handwraps at 15)
6. Wiz pl
16m. Stunning fist
24. Evocation focus
* Nearly all of the builds relative power comes at late stages of the game. Stick with it and it all starts to come togeather around level 18+. A nice two hander paired with the Ftr dillie will help ease your way from 1-7. At 8 you will get holy smite which will help giving you some AoE to augment your relatively weakening melee prowess. At 12 you get Blade Barrier. Pull out the sword rarely till you get to 18 when you can chuck on a tod ring gear up some and bust out some nice hand wraps. You can do this as early as 16 but honestly the content doesn't require it. BB is easy button. I would recommend starting at 18 and begin to learn how to play the build and start to figure out the synergies.
As to the feats I consider them all essential. When I designed the build I didn't realize I needed the spell focus to select the relevant twists. I originally had improved sunder slated too help those single target instakills land (alchem gSP9 Kama paired with a gr necro of impr shattermantle is the gear I had planned to augment my necro spells in combination with IS) alas it had to go. Would have been a fun combo. I:Crit is missing from the lineup. Not an oversight. A x2 weapon with a Crit on a 20 is not the best candidate for a feat slot IMO. For a pure monk sure. Not for this.
50 Epic levels
30 barb pl/tough enh
680 HP (buffed -sustainable)
Not super fat. But enough. Especially for an instant self healing class with strong saves and access to displacement scrolls and possibly a tipping point AC.
Wisdom II -6ap
Helf wis - 2ap
Helf con -4ap
Rog dilettante - 6ap
Energy III - 6ap
AoV II - 6ap
Unyielding Sov - 4ap
Damage boost IV - 10ap
Extra dmg boost II -6ap
Human vers 4-10ap
Life magic 2 -3ap
Wand and scroll 1 - 1ap
Tortoise - 1ap
Human healing amp -2ap
Saves boost -1ap
*Really this is how you want to do it. As it stands you will often not even get to the favored soul damage boost portion of your action boosts in shorter content. That's ok it unlocks the extra action boosts which benefit both the HV damage boost and the LD haste boost which you run in tandem. It is a bit of a waste but currently I am set up for long quests (like EE raid) in shorter quests what I would likely do would be drop the fvs damage boost line And the extra action boosts and pump up my Smiting to max. Then switch my precise evocation twist to extra action boost 3. This would be a better set up for general play. Again tailor to fit your specific situation.
- EPIC DESTINY - GRANDMASTER OF FLOWERS
1. Wis(2) lily petal(1) enlightenment (3)
3. Wis(2)orchid blossom(1)
5.Wis (2)drifting lotus(2)
6. Wis (2) everything is nothing(2)
*This leaves you three points to spend as you wish. The lily petal line up to drifting lotus is a must to quickly charge everything is nothing. Drop wisdom mods to balance unevens or if you really want to grab some of the other nice abilities. Enlightenment might seem like an odd choice but it is fantastic. At its top tier combined with the 1 passive from the inmates you have regain 2 ki every few seconds allowing you to chip away at at EiN counter even when just running or standing idle. Meditation the second level monk feat combined with inner focus and the passive regen means you can quickly charge an epic moment while running to a tough fight.
- TWISTS OF FATE(includes tome)
1. Haste Boost (Tier 3- Legendary Dreadnought)
2. School Specialist : Evocation (Tier 2 - Magister)
3. Precise Evocation (Tier 2 - Draconic)
* Season these too taste. If you are primarily running EH content (and u have 3 sorc pl's) you would likely be better off taking +3 necro dc(switch your feat) and something else rather than doubling up on evocation. For the moment I will double up as I want my implosion to tear up no SR mobs on EE reliably. I'm not a pale master nor a double necro focus *instakill specced divine. My destructions/slay living don't land reliably on EE even with the +3 DC. On soft targets sure. Not the big bad boys though. That's ok though. Not a one trick pony you have many options when it comes to killing.
F- 16+4(GH)+5(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+13(stat)+2 (Oc) =44
R-16+4(GH)+5(res)+1(alch)+1(ship)+2(luck)+9(stat)+2( Oc)+1(haste) = 41
- STUNNING FIST
3 Ftr pl
3 Destiny granted
2 (effective) AoV aura
3 sorc pl
1 evocation focus
1 wiz pl
2 sorc twist
3 magister twist
2 item focus
2 (effective) AoV aura
*Apart from those blasted spiders not much saves on my BB. And targeting restrictions aside very little saves on implosion.
1 wiz pl
2 Item focus
= 45 DC (47 if in aura)
*Good enough for EH but lacking on all but the softer targets on EE.
MELEE TO HIT
Whole game has changed a lot with regards to hit. From experience with divine power, divine favor, GH and ship buffed I am noticing very few misses. No more than my pure monk. And less than my Horc ESOS wielding similar-ish approach FVS from last life. The changes benefit the weaker to hit classes. Keep those buffs up and you won't have a problem unless you run into dungeon alert. Take that average too hit and milk the new system for all it's worth! To give you some numbers this is what I am sitting at.
2 Epic BAB
3 Divine favor
3 Ftr Past life
=+49 self buffed before situation modifiers and sneak bonuses.
No where near a beastly barb/ftr dreadnought. Not even within a stones throw of them. If ur expecting devastating crits and huge front numbers you are in for a rude awakening. What it can do is offer a solid and steady source of spell point free damage. It's all about the little bonuses. Everything apart from rednames/undead/elementals and most constructs you will have in a helpless state due to your great stunning fist DC. So amplify your damage to reflect that. Then add bonus damage from archon, DP, lily petal line and dual boosting and you start to get some momentum. Dreadnought Haste Boost + Human Damage Boost really help a a lot. Some numbers
4-21 ( 3.5W [1d6] - base + byeshk wraps + 1.5 from GMoF)
+3 passive monk PL
+2 good hope clickies
+ 13 strength
+3 divine favor
42-59 Front number damage
+ 3d6 rogue dillie
+ 1-8 eternal fire
+ 13 static sneak damage
So roughly 85 damage a hand before haste boost, damage boost and helpless. Not über by any stretch. Modest and sustainable, spell point free and furthering ki gen for everything is nothing and the lily petal line all the while increasing any spell damage u choose to throw out. A quick note on improved deception and sneak attack. Much of the builds melee dps come from sneak attack. The Avithoul rings are perfect as they include impr deception allowing you to get a good amount of SA even with agro.
DEFENSES (Dodge, AC, PRR)
4% Monk Lvl 2
= 5%...so 1 out of every swings lol. Not great but better than nothing.
= A healthy Zero
1 monk centered
4 insight (alchem hand wraps)
5 Protection (Shield of Faith)
5 Natural - villager commendations
4 shield(5 min scrolls)
8 Red Dragon
2 ship(? I think)
3 Profane (abishai)
I am admittedly awful at breaking down AC but I will give it a whirl could use some help on this from the AC guys. I literally have no idea if this is even worth using the consumables and the clicking time. Further testing required. If I can get some defensive bonuses with very little effort I'm happy to do it. If it messes with any offensive capabilities it's just not worth it. I can instaheal, cc/stun trash and kite through blades if needs be. If I can reap the rewards of the new AC for gimps system I will be happy to do so. Otherwise so be it.
1. Doom, shield of faith, pro evil, divine favor
2. Resist energy, sound burst, deific vengeance, eagles splendor
3. Searing light, bestow curse, cure serious,
4. Divine power, holy smite, Freedom, Deathward
5. Divine Punishment, Gr command, slay living, flame strike
6. BB, Heal, Cometfall
7. Destruction, Resurrection, Symbol of stunning
8. Symbol of death, firestorm
* If you want to play an inefficient healer(or have that option at least) drop flame strike and firestorm pick up the relevant masses. Personally I like the synergy between Maximise clickies and 4 High DC AoE's to spam whilst kiting through blades. Have been having a blast with flame strike and firestorm this mod. Blind from holy smite, knockdown from Cometfall then literally bringing the heat has been way too much fun. As to other choices: quickened resurrection is a must in high incoming damage situations(...EE). You likely won't be healing the group but at least you can Rez them hehe. While many of the mobs have high fort saves to cull the insta-kill movement they tend to have weak will saves. gr command and symbol of stunning remain fantastic options in melee heavy parties. Eagles splendor might seem like an odd choice. I keep it for disjunction. My charisma was dumped and I barely squeaked by too actually cast the spells. Disjunction can ruin me. Hence the recastable+4. At minimum worst case scenario That would leave me at 18 CHA, 20 with a quick chug of a Yugo pot and voila back to full casting potential. Rest are the bread and butter.
CURRENT GEAR LAYOUT(Subject too change)
Gearing this guy is like solving a puzzle. There is so much going on with the way he plays there are many compromises that need to be made with gearing him. Funnily enough many of the respective 'useless to pure melee' and 'useless to pure caster' functions can really benefit multi dimensional characters. Bang for buck is the name of the game.
H- Epic Helm of Frost (Cha 7/gr cold Resist w/slotted GFL)
N- Alchemist Pendent (+6 con/20 shroud hp/+1 boost/+1 ki)
T- Lolths trinket(nullification/radiance/impulse 102+1 CHA&WIS +15 implement)
Cl- Envenomed (7 con/+5 resist w/ slotted toughness)
Be- Rahkirs Sash(Archmagi and Set bonus)
Bo- Epic Boots of Corrosion(Disintergrate Guard w/Evocation Focus +1 con)
Br- Epic Gloves of the Claw (Hvy fort +2 Insightful con)
R1- Rahkirs Ring w/holy burst
R2-Seal of House Avithoul (exc wis+2/Sneak 5/exc sneak 3/ improved deception)
Gl- Epic Gloves of the Claw(str 6 30% amp)
Gog- HP/SP/SP (Concordant Op/+6 wis/+5 CHA skills)
Bod - Red Dragon (Combustion 82/Sup fire lore/Eternal Fire w/slotted Luck and Dex)
Weapon set ups:
1. General Purpose Melee wraps
- Alchemical hand wraps Byeshk w/metallic edges slotted (Stunning 10 shocking burst Insight 4/+2 wisdom crushing wave corrosive salt/Lightning blast)
2. Destruction/slay living + debug set
- a. Silver Alchemical Kama (Freezing Ice Guard/+2 Wisdom/ Gr SP 9+ Gr conj foc)
- b. Greater necro focus Kama of improved Shattermantle.
3. Nuking and implosion Set
- a. Silver Alchemical Kama (Freezing Ice Guard/+2 Wisdom/ Gr SP 9+ Gr conj foc)
- b. Crystal Alchemical Kama (90 fire+kinetic/Sup. fire +kinetic Lore/Maximise II + Gr evocation focus)
4. Epic Staff of Inner Sight (Gr command symbol of stunning)
5. Various greater banes for boss dps.
6. Shield blocking setup (still need to make an alchem shield for this)
I have gone for a very 'hands free' set up. One thing that i have learned playing complex characters is that sometimes clicking gets in the way of killing. Try and minimize it. Common theme with this guy is '80%'. Try and get 80% of what a possible min max caster/melee gear set up respectively and get it on my body so I can swing away. I have weapon hot swaps when I'm Instakilling and nuking. I have gone for as many on hit bonuses as I can get. Claw for +4 damage, eternal fire and as much sneak attack as possible couple with improved deception. Rahkirs doubles as my holy burst and quasi gr lore. Overall I am very happy with the gear setup as it lets me nuke at near max effectiveness whilst swinging. It's only really my dc casting that I need to hot swap too. Which is fine as when I'm doing that I'm normally not swinging rather getting into favorable positions.
Anyway open to suggestions/feedback.