Thread: elf ranger

Community Member

Default elf ranger

i need some advice on what skills features i should invest in.

should i go ranger/fighter or ranger/rouge for starters or should i go mostly ranger ?

depends. If you want mostly ranged then you want a 10k stars build. Which is basically a 12mnk 6rng 2fighter/arti build. Or you could go with a lil more versitality but less dmg of the 11 ranger 6mnk 3 arti. I think theirs also a mainly ranger mnk split to. Not sure how well that goes.

But anyway you get the point. For any real dmg numbers until they fix the animation of bows the new 10k stars is the answer for a legitimate reason to have the bow out outside of manyshots timeframe.

10k builds from wax http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...92#post4429992

Now if you wanted a mix of ranged then close in for hand to hand combat, then something like the helves angel build would be good. It basically uses manyshot to pack a wallup then switches out to blades to slice through everything.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=289591

Default What are you trying to do? DPS? Traps? Survival?

Quote Originally Posted by firecloud70 View Post
    i need some advice on what skills features i should invest in.

should i go ranger/fighter or ranger/rouge for starters or should i go mostly ranger ?
    Rogue
    -Good for UMD, disable, search, open lock. Sneak attack damage.
    -Bad because you lose 1BAB
    -Most builds with rogue just do one level for access to DD, OL, search
    -1rog/1mnk/18rgr exploiter build as a popular example but there are many

Fighter
    -Good for feats, no loss of BAB, Fighter enhancements
    -Bad if you like skills, only 2 points from this class
    -Usually used in highly multiclass builds that focus more on DPS
    -12ftr/6rgr/2mnk Helves Angel as a popular example but there are countless ranged builds with fighter levels

wax on wax off comments on ranged builds a lot, ask him for some more alternative builds. Here is one he has here:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=385316

Ultimately we need to know your goal. DPS? Traps? Survival? Flavor?
    Ghallanda
    Volver life 3 lvl 18 sorc /// Adept life 3 lvl 2mnk/16pal /// Vindicate life 5 lvl 19pal/1ftr - 3 Epic /// Eternal life 2 lvl 10 rgr

Community Member

As the others have said, we need much more info from you to really be able to help at all. Starting simply, do you want a melee focus or ranged focus build? From there, do you want to focus more on versatility, survivability, pure damage? Also, do you have any specific goals in mind for this character?

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Have a look at my Tempest trapmonkey thread; there's an elf version in the second post. That's probably the simplest example of an elf rgr who gets full UMD & trap skills as well as Tempest III (which is currently pretty weak, unfortunately, but will hopefully be improved later this year).

Beyond that, well, there are a ton of ways of mixing elf & rgr together; it all depends on what you want to accomplish (and what you have access to).

At the moment Ranged has been nerfed to the Abyss. This is not WoW where ranged bow can do good damage. You are likely to be out DPSed by an artificer.

I haven't done the Shiradi Champion to see if they are worth anything, but I believe they really didn't do anything to increase damage over that of a melee class.

Arcane archer adds a 500 damage vorpal ability, but if you talk to any barbarian, he will tell you that he regularly crits for far more than that.

I would suggest going pure ranger tempest. Make sure you have at least a 21 base dexterity so that you can take combat archery. (Not hard on elf. 18 Dex, +3 tome.) As a ranger you'll just naturally be op when it comes to ranged. So when the Air Elementals come out switch to ranged and watch the barbarians get knocked around the room.

Or pull a bow and activate multishot to shoot that pesky caster on an unreachable ledge.

Other melee classes are at a loss when it comes to ranged. They can't range worth didly. So when they need range they really just can't do it.

My first life ranger was arcane and I really felt at a disadvantage. Tempest really adds to melee damage and survivability. That is where the ranger needs the most help.

If your ranged damage ability is on cooldown then melee will always provide more damage. So just like the dps competition videos you see online - After multishot is over, switch to TWF.
    Last edited by Hilltrot; 07-27-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Corrected mistake pointed out by Unbonqwah

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltrot View Post
    I would suggest going pure ranger tempest. Make sure you have at least a 21 base dexterity so that you can take combat archery. (Not hard on elf. 16 Dex, +2 elf enhancement, +3 ranger enhancement. Don't even need a tome.)
    (A) Enhancements to stats do not count towards feat pre-reqs. That's DDO Builds 101.
    (B) After dissing AAs, you tell the OP to add Combat Archery to...a pure Tempest?

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    (A) Enhancements to stats do not count towards feat pre-reqs. That's DDO Builds 101.
    (B) After dissing AAs, you tell the OP to add Combat Archery to...a pure Tempest?
    My mistake, then leave out combat archery or add more points and a tome. With 9 feats available, combat archery wouldn't hurt.

Just because you're a tempest doesn't mean you'll never pick up a bow. You definitely will, unless you suck.

Dodge
    Mobility
    Spring Attack
    Crit- slashing
    Power attack
    Toughness

These are the 6 you have to have as a Tempest. The other 3 are simply the frosting on the cake. Choose whatever you like.

Tempest +6 stacking AC, +?% DR, a full 100% of both weapons striking, +5% doublestrinke. +2 to hit.

Arcane Archer - 500 point vorpal attack (one chance out of 20) in exchange for 50 Spell Points.

Now considering as a full 20th level ranger gets all the archer feats except shot on the run (Does this feat even exist anymore?) and Combat archery, why would even an ranger archer want to take arcane archer?

I suggested a pure ranger because the +25% capstone is pretty much vital for an archer.

On that note. Don't do a rogue splash. It really isn't worth it. Especially for a first time character. Despite what the ten-star posters might say here, UMD is very much over-rated. There are plenty of rogues and artificers out there for all your trapping needs. You'll lose a lot more than you gain.
    Last edited by Hilltrot; 07-27-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: mistakes, mistakes, mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Hilltrot View Post
    I suggested a pure ranger because the +25% capstone is pretty much vital for an archer.
    Except (A) the capstone remains broken and only provides about half that and (B) it doesn't stack with other competence ranged alacrity bonuses, including (ironically) the ToD AA set. So you can MC your AA rgr, replace the capstone with a gear-based alacrity bonus, and benefit from whatever your other classes bring to your build.