Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default Enjoy it while it lasts.

    This is a farewell to all. I will rarely be on in the future and i will miss all you who i have met over the past 5 years. I never planned on leaving and i certainly never wanted to write one of these post but i feel that i would be remiss if i didnt. Most you know that the game has been dumbed down to the point that its not challenging to a majority of players. I have no desire to play a game that has no challenge factor at all but still rewards so many as if they are earning these rewards. I have seen more people gaining obscene amounts of gear that i could have ever imagined in my worst nightmares. Unfortunately no one seems to care because all that matters is that u have all the top gear. Some of you will say that the game was never challenging it was just a grind, well i say that at least the grind gave u a sense of earning the gear if nothing else.The gear was earned by putting in the time at least. Im sure quite a few of you have kids and what happens to kids who are given everything and earn nothing...They become spoiled and ungrateful. They also become VERY bored of there new toys very quickly. This is what i see happening, you all linking in guild chat and party chat and general chat all this shiny new stuff thats been given to you and then after a short while you will grow bored of your new toys and hopefully wonder where is the heart and soul of this game has gone.Is it just about gaining loot as quickly and easily as possible or is there not something more that someone ,anyone wants out of this game. I play games ,games of all sorts for the unique challenge each one brings. I also have played a LOT of sports in my life and i always played to win..BUT i didnt want to win so badly that i was willing to play 5year old kids in a game of Tackle football to feel satisfied and pleased with my game experience. The devs did a great job with the graphics and the story and many other things but imo they missed the heart of that matter which is to me a game we can be proud to play and proud of our achievements. When i have obtained loot over the last few weeks i have just felt empty and quite honestly insulted. If turbine thinks this is the model for success i believe they are sorely mistaken. This fools gold they are giving us will be revealed to be not very long lasting. I am feeling this way and i believe many of you will start feeling the same way soon also. I hope i have not underestimated the Dungeons and Dragons community. We are a proud people with a lineage that goes back many years and have always had high expectations. The DM's from the days of pen and paper are rolling over in there pen and paper graves. I know i am. I DM'd for years and i created for my players a experience worthy of a bards tale, of deeds done against the greatest of odd's and treasures unearthed from the deepest and most dangerous of dungeons. My heart is broken and empty i cannot enjoy this new DDO which will take me away from some great friends. Sadly Darc
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  2. #2
    Community Member werk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Posts
    512

    Default ditto

    I hear you.

    I have canceled my subscription as well, last week.

    Summer is my least favorite time to play this game, and all of the broken things that shouldn't have been broken compounded with a complete lack of proper QA have finally broken this old camel's back.

    Here 'til the 23rd.

    Mechwarrior Online beta opens Aug 1 and Guildwars 2 is live August 29th.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Whats the alternative?

    At the moment all MMO´s try to copy WOW. A good old D&D adventure where you always was a little undergeared is not selling to the masses. Easy loot and cosmetics are the future.

    Are there any games left for people who like a challenge?

  4. #4
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England & Czech Republic
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Damn, that was hard to read, but I agree with what you say.

    The game has been dumbed down and the challenge, which is an important part of why I play computer games, has disappeared. For competitive players or for those who believe that rewards should be earned, there isn't much left. For the time being, I stay because I like the content and I still enjoy playing with friends I've made over the years, and also because there is no suitable alternative (for me as a D&D fan anyway).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default The is none.

    Quote Originally Posted by sharachan View Post
    Whats the alternative?

    At the moment all MMO´s try to copy WOW. A good old D&D adventure where you always was a little undergeared is not selling to the masses. Easy loot and cosmetics are the future.

    Are there any games left for people who like a challenge?
    I know of no alternative. That why i am so saddened by the direction it has all gone. I LOVE the Dungeons and Dragons Genre. I have played all the games..all the way back to intellevisions AD@D. Ive read so many fantasy novels. I watch all the movies, but i just cant bring myself to play this game any longer. Its Insulting to even my meager intelligence to put this product before me and think that if u just give me all the gear i want that i will just keep on playing. I will not put another dime or hour into this game. We all put up with the worst customer service that ive ever encountered. We all put up with bug after bug after bug. We all put up with delay after delay. When as a community we will say enough is enough. We will not be satisfied with this poor product and service you are trying to sell us. Break you addictions my fellow DandD'ers and lets stand up for ourselves. I hold so many of you in high regard and am shocked to see a majority continue to put up with a poor product and a even worse company. If you get a great deal of enjoyment out of the game still then i am happy for you but i really think that so many of us just keep playing cuz its what we know. Its a habit built over many years that ties us to this product that is so poorly made. Not only that but we have built so many relationships over the years and we dont want to lose them..but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH....Enraged and hopelessly yours Darc
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Damn, that was hard to read, but I agree with what you say.

    The game has been dumbed down and the challenge, which is an important part of why I play computer games, has disappeared. For competitive players or for those who believe that rewards should be earned, there isn't much left. For the time being, I stay because I like the content and I still enjoy playing with friends I've made over the years, and also because there is no suitable alternative (for me as a D&D fan anyway).
    Sorry for my poor typing and literary skillz :/
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  7. #7
    Community Member TripleX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    98

    Default I understand

    I hate to see you go Darc, but i do understand where you are coming from my friend. I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you may do. You know you always have a friend here . Take care my friend and i hope to talk to you soon.

    Xander


    Xanderhawk, Airhawk, Torrahawk, Angelhawk, Slayde, Vanyon, Johnnykage, Hawkke

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default My friend.

    Quote Originally Posted by TripleX View Post
    I hate to see you go Darc, but i do understand where you are coming from my friend. I wish you nothing but the best in whatever you may do. You know you always have a friend here . Take care my friend and i hope to talk to you soon.

    Xander
    Ty my friend you are one of the reasons that i even made it this long. It literally brings a tear to my eye thinking of all you great people who i will no longer be spending time with. A quote from me " there is nothing worse than a wasted opportunity"
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    224

    Default

    There is no alternative.
    What game allows you to take a character level it with the options of how it can be built THEN when you get to 20 you can "start over" with a more powerful version yet keep your gear you earned in your previous life?

    All other games have cookie cutter characters with very limited options.

    At the end of the day what I have learned in my close to 20 years of Leading and gaming with my CLAW family is this. Its about gaming and having fun with your friends and family. Every game and all loot is just little 1's and 0's or pixels or whatever you want to call it. Its not the pixels or the loot.

    Every person has to decide why they play a game. Is it the challenge? Is it your online family you game with every day/night? Is it the loot?

    Am I happy they have dumbed the game down some? Am I happy some of the top end loot is random? No but am I happy to log in and talk junk to my CLAW family.. Hell ya! BTW while I was talking junk to them we just blasted thru some challenges or Epics or Abbott and got some pixels err i mean loot in the process. We also shelved our RL problems for a few hours and "got away" for a few hours while we did it and forgot about the crappy economy or the 100 degree weather.

    Darc it always sad to see an old timer go... so good luck to you and hope RL treats you well
    Fist and Faith
    Musashi DragonClaw
    Thelanis Warclaws, DragonClaws, MusashiCLAW, Warsclaw
    www.C-L-A-W.org

  10. #10
    Community Member MartinusWyllt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Bye.

    Taking changes as personal insults probably means departure was overdue, take care!

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England & Czech Republic
    Posts
    646

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robdrew View Post
    Sorry for my poor typing and literary skillz :/
    I think your literary skills are good (better than mine anyway), but you might consider dividing larger bodies of text into paragraphs.

    I believe there is one area where DDO is better than all other MMOs I know (though I don't know many so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and that's quest design. There are still decent, fun quests. Belly of the Beast, for example, is a pretty good one in my opinion. However, the fact that one can whizz through all quests on silly difficulties without any gear, skill or knowledge of what's going on, takes half of the fun out of it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

  12. #12
    2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    the fact that one can whizz through all quests on silly difficulties without any gear, skill or knowledge of what's going on, takes half of the fun out of it for me.
    but...but... whizzing around without gear, skill or knowledge of whats going on is pretty much our guild's entire modus operendi!
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

  13. #13
    Community Member TripleX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    98

    Default pm'd you Darc

    I sent you a pm


    Xanderhawk, Airhawk, Torrahawk, Angelhawk, Slayde, Vanyon, Johnnykage, Hawkke

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default Ty

    Quote Originally Posted by Musashiclaw View Post
    There is no alternative.
    What game allows you to take a character level it with the options of how it can be built THEN when you get to 20 you can "start over" with a more powerful version yet keep your gear you earned in your previous life?

    All other games have cookie cutter characters with very limited options.

    At the end of the day what I have learned in my close to 20 years of Leading and gaming with my CLAW family is this. Its about gaming and having fun with your friends and family. Every game and all loot is just little 1's and 0's or pixels or whatever you want to call it. Its not the pixels or the loot.

    Every person has to decide why they play a game. Is it the challenge? Is it your online family you game with every day/night? Is it the loot?

    Am I happy they have dumbed the game down some? Am I happy some of the top end loot is random? No but am I happy to log in and talk junk to my CLAW family.. Hell ya! BTW while I was talking junk to them we just blasted thru some challenges or Epics or Abbott and got some pixels err i mean loot in the process. We also shelved our RL problems for a few hours and "got away" for a few hours while we did it and forgot about the crappy economy or the 100 degree weather.

    Darc it always sad to see an old timer go... so good luck to you and hope RL treats you well
    Thank you for the farewell. My online family is important to me. Ive tried and tried to get them to run more Epic Elite to at least to give the game some challenge...ive invited them to Call of Duty MW3 and even offered to pay some of the cost for a few of them. Alas to no avail. I love them cuz they are real family but i have to draw the line somewhere. Turbine Banks of the fact that us long time players will obviously put up with just about anything for a multitude of reasons..not the least our online family. Turbine banks on new people loving the loot and ease of the game. I will not bow down to there tyranny any longer!!!..lol, probably over the top with that statement but i will not be manipulated by them being that they are the only thing out there. I would rather go without and hope my online family keeps in touch.
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  15. #15
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default It IS personal

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post
    Bye.

    Taking changes as personal insults probably means departure was overdue, take care!
    I do take things personal when my time and money are being taken for granted. Maybe you should too.
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default lol

    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    I think your literary skills are good (better than mine anyway), but you might consider dividing larger bodies of text into paragraphs.

    I believe there is one area where DDO is better than all other MMOs I know (though I don't know many so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), and that's quest design. There are still decent, fun quests. Belly of the Beast, for example, is a pretty good one in my opinion. However, the fact that one can whizz through all quests on silly difficulties without any gear, skill or knowledge of what's going on, takes half of the fun out of it for me.
    Whats a paragraph?
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  17. #17
    Community Member MartinusWyllt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robdrew View Post
    I do take things personal when my time and money are being taken for granted. Maybe you should too.
    No, I read and understood the Terms and Conditions when I signed-up for my subscription.

    Things change. People change. Maybe someone will devise an emulator some day and you can run your own pre-update 9 or 12 shard to try to keep things the same.

    I was serious, though, sounds like you've been unhappy with DDO for quite some time.

    It is just a game and nothing lasts forever.

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    111

    Default Change is good.

    Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post
    No, I read and understood the Terms and Conditions when I signed-up for my subscription.

    Things change. People change. Maybe someone will devise an emulator some day and you can run your own pre-update 9 or 12 shard to try to keep things the same.

    I was serious, though, sounds like you've been unhappy with DDO for quite some time.

    It is just a game and nothing lasts forever.
    I have nothing against change. In fact change is awesome. If im not happy with a product i have every right and i believe a obligation to voice my opinion. Just because you read the terms and conditions doesnt mean that i have no right to voice my thought beliefs and concerns.

    I dont recognize your forum name and i might be mistake in my interpretation and what your trying to say but if i understand you correctly and i think i do. You are a big part of the problem. Is it ok that there is this many bugs in a game this old. Is it ok that they delay everything they do. Is it okay that there customer service is horrible. It must be because its all spelled out in the terms and conditions.

    This product is not to my satisfaction and it has been LONG overdue that i become this vocal and take such drastic action. By stating that youve read the terms and conditions it appears to me you are saying that they can do whatever they want because its all covered in the terms and conditions. DDO is a product . We are the consumers. WE decide the quality of the product by our spending habits and by sharing our displeasure with the producer. Iwill not go out quietly because i have put a LOT of money and a LOT of time into this product and i dont see improvement i only see bells and whistles meant to distract us. I see a bunch of shiny's. I will not be distracted by such things. I want substance. I want adventure. I want to end a quest and feel like ive actually done something besides loot a +6 annhilating khopesh of pure good.

    They have taken too many shortcuts and im calling them out. If they are ok with that and the rest of the player base is ok with that that is all your choices but i have every right to cry out and say NO there could be so much more. Why are we settling for this????
    Darcc/Darcbane/Darcjustice/Darcslayer/Darcsoul/Bloodsaif/Discipled/Gripfast/Soulrise/Soulwater/Windseeker

  19. #19
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    813

    Default

    ah darc, tis I reck. Thou hast braved many mods, then updates and you almost lasted through an expansion (and ofc the 4-5 hotfixes in between each)

    always good to run with ya man, I know me dragging dave away from guild runs and whatnot has kinda been a thorn in your side but I think besides that we where pretty chummy

    side note, me and dave have been duoing the new content on epic elite and some of it is quite challenging. The one in the well in the middle of town i downed something like 19 lesser SP pots and 3 majors and dave downed 5-6 majors first time we tried it.

    *edit* yeah and on bugs. Just bought a cookie jar for giggles, and it doesnt work. Was trying to click NPC to enter tangleroot and i glitched back to house P entrance from market. My spells misfire/glitch for no apparent reason still. list goes on..really makes me think they need to revamp the game down to its engine and rebuild it with clean high performance code/servers.

    *edit #2* and I am pretty sore that all the PLs i gained with no first time bonuses, bravery bonuses, xp tomes (or XP pots for that matter) has been significantly devalued. Its like I played through 24 lives the grindy slow way just to have them change it so they could point and laugh at the dumb gamer who did all that :P at the same time i feel the bravery system really sparked up the XP grind for myself as it added a reason to challenge myself a bit, so there was def some good with the bad on that one.

    same deal with all my epic gear, with epic slots aaaand..now its all pretty much junk that i need to replace with very easily obtained gear. that one stings


    ...BTW can i have your ****?
    Last edited by jeremyt; 07-12-2012 at 10:20 AM.
    Reckter: 28 heroic, 3 iconic and 19 eic PLs, now a 17 art/3rog shadar-kai. Anhilliation: 3x wiz/sorc PLs, 13 epic PLs now a dwarf 17barb/3bard. . Vikzor: 2xfvs + 4x epic PL horc 19fvs 1 fighter. Rekter: 3x rog & 1 fighter + 4 epic PLs, h-orc 13 rogue 6 monk 1 druid. Veisha: 3x bard + 4 epic PLs, PDK 16 bard 4 fighter.

  20. #20
    Community Member MartinusWyllt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robdrew View Post
    IIf im not happy with a product i have every right and i believe a obligation to voice my opinion. Just because you read the terms and conditions doesnt mean that i have no right to voice my thought beliefs and concerns....

    They have taken too many shortcuts and im calling them out. If they are ok with that and the rest of the player base is ok with that that is all your choices but i have every right to cry out and say NO there could be so much more. Why are we settling for this????
    Oh, I thought you were saying "goodbye" didn't realize this was a /ragequit thread. My apologies for my misinterpretation of your intent.

    I never suggested you couldn't voice your dissatisfaction with this product, merely indicated that leaving sounds like the best decision you could make. Probably good for Thelanis, too. Somehow I can't express that I'm still enjoying this game? I do enjoy it a little bit less when someone in a PuG on Thelanis has decided to rant about how the DDO stinks now. Doesn't happen often, but those are folks that probably should go, too. If you're not having fun you quit no matter how habituated you've become, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload