Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Community Member

And the game that will probably put all mmmo's in there place !!!! Elder scrolls online , coming soon to a computer near you

Guild Wars wasn't very fun. It felt like driving a car at Disneyland that never lets you off the rail between your tires. I don't remember ever having to actually think to do anything. Can you even jump in that game?

The Hatchery

Quote Originally Posted by Bergie View Post
    Bottom line is if you pay for content, and that content is delivered to you, it should work.
    Ì think you are missing the point, or struggle with reading comprehension. NEW car, NEW house...NEW content...servicing old items vs purchasing a 2012 NEW model are two different things...

As mentioned in my original post, I play the newer content almost exclusively, and when I have to pay for a new item and it is broken straight off the bat, it is somewhat disappointing...
    For commodities that are a physical object, that's something you can expect.

However, computer code is a fundamentally different product than anything else in human history. Comparing it cars or food doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    LOL... How in the world do you know that?
    How does one ever know, unless you are part of the programming team or privvy to the code.

I think the meaning was probably that it feels cleaner and less cumbersome, as opposed to actually being cleaner and less cumbersome because as an end user, that is all we have to go by, our observation and experience with the end-product.

For me (and I say 'for me' again, which means me personally, which negates any need for facts or figures or spreadsheets proving to the contrary) a good barometer of issues in a game is the number/type of threads on a gaming forum at any given time. For DDO right now, its bugs and errors in the game which seem to be the predominant theme in forum threads. Of course I've taken no official count, nor will provide any figures whatsoever of such an opinion, since opinions are subjective anyway and if any poor soul actually wishes to take a count then I wish them well in this endeavor.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon2fire View Post
    I can not believe that no one has said this yet.

Can i has your stuff.
    I think it deserves a good old-fashioned GQLLFM.

LOL... How in the world do you know that?
    For one, I could log my characters out as many times as I wanted in GW without having to reset my client. In DDO, this just leads to poor performance due to sloppy memory leaks.

In DDO, swapping any item that affects UMD causes a momentary freeze. Again, sloppy and highly annoying.

Enemies paralyzed / held / knocked down / stunned / danced / etc. move inexplicably despite their incapacitation.

You are not facing "target".

Sorting collectible and ingredient bags is unnecessarily convoluted. Can't even remove partial stacks.

And really, most indicative of all, every update something breaks that is seemingly unrelated to any targeted fix or change, indicating that their code is clumsy, cumbersome, and/or poorly documented.

For example in the last year or so: unlimited plat and pages of unbound +3 tomes from a bug with challenge chests, unbound ingredient bags, broken Abbot 20th completion lists, epic scrolls stopped dropping completely, Build Your Guild spam, Stone of Experience ninjas, physics issues (massive falling damage and quest-critical NPCs getting stuck in walls), disappearing airship amenities.

Most of these problems took several weeks to address. The epic scrolls went an entire update before they started dropping again. Physics issues (besides that first day when walls were inconsequential for spell casting) have yet to be addressed.
    Last edited by Bakarne; 07-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    Collecting Holy Aura Scrolls - Please mail to Surare, or the cursed Illithids will eat my brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakarne View Post
    For one, I could log my characters out as many times as I wanted in GW without having to reset my client. In DDO, this just leads to poor performance due to sloppy memory leaks.

In DDO, swapping any item that affects UMD causes a momentary freeze. Again, sloppy and highly annoying.

Enemies paralyzed / held / knocked down / stunned / danced / etc. move inexplicably despite their incapacitation.

You are not facing "target".

Sorting collectible and ingredient bags is unnecessarily convoluted. Can't even remove partial stacks.

And really, most indicative of all, every update something breaks that is seemingly unrelated to any targeted fix or change, indicating that their code is clumsy, cumbersome, and/or poorly documented.

For example in the last year or so: unlimited plat and pages of unbound +3 tomes from a bug with challenge chests, unbound ingredient bags, broken Abbot 20th completion lists, epic scrolls stopped dropping completely, Build Your Guild spam, Stone of Experience ninjas, physics issues (massive falling damage and quest-critical NPCs getting stuck in walls), disappearing airship amenities.

Most of these problems took several weeks to address. The epic scrolls went an entire update before they started dropping again. Physics issues (besides that first day when walls were inconsequential for spell casting) have yet to be addressed.
    And hello... no monthly sub for GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Car analogies are hilarious, and predictable is the realm of CS/support. Not a day goes by when we dont hear the car analogy.
    Turbine is the Ford of the MMO industry. Ford has tremendous numbers of their vehicles, as one phrase goes, "Found On the Road Dead". Yet I keep hearing ads claim they have the "most repeat buyers". Why? Because of suckers who will consistently put money into them despite having constant trouble.

Turbine is very lucky to have a decent community surrounding their product as even when I take breaks from their shoddily built products, I return solely because of the community.
    Last edited by Ryiah; 07-11-2012 at 07:18 PM.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Those two you lost to SWTOR, they still playing? Every one of my friends who played SWTOR is done with it. Same with the ones who played Diablo 3. Great games... no lasting power.
    Yah, lost around 80% of my guild (Not saying that's much tho) to those other games. And it's not that they hold them there, they simply break the 'cling' that DDO has, like breaking an addiction of leaving a relationship. The new shiny may not last, but it is enough to set the wedge in place that they don't come back to DDO.

Personally I hope to run into a few of my old guild mates in GW2, It is one of the few games I plan to check out. Tera looks promising, and I might give that a whirl as well, but I feel that it might break my little old computer that is struggling just to keep up whit DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyr View Post
    Lost a buddy to the first.

Lost a few to the second.

Those little cuts all add up.
    Amen to this, they might only be paper cuts, one here, a few there, but they can add up. The real question is not about mass exodus, it's about lacking appeal to gather new players to compensate for the migrating older players, as everyone knows MMO's don't close their doors with a bang but a whimper.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Yah, lost around 80% of my guild (Not saying that's much tho) to those other games. And it's not that they hold them there, they simply break the 'cling' that DDO has, like breaking an addiction of leaving a relationship. The new shiny may not last, but it is enough to set the wedge in place that they don't come back to DDO.
    It doesn't matter even if the "next big shiny" fails to hold their attention. This time of the year is when games tend to get released the heaviest. So even if GW2 fails to live up to the hype, there are even more shinies being released.
    Ryiah | Raeyah | Reikara
    Toy Soldiers

Not sure if this your attempt at sarcasm, but I for one, if i pay for something, expect it to work, almost perfectly. That is the problem, most people today are happy with sub-par service deliver etc.
    I think that entitled children* should have their own forums so the rest of the world can actually converse about things that well... matter more than the rantings of an overly emotional and invested drama queen. Better yet keyboards should just lock up after X tears hit the keys.

I swear these (and most/all gaming) forums sound like a 13 yo girls clique hanging out that have all synced up and are trash talking because one of them just found out her boyfriend (Turbine, Blizzard, Bioware, etc...) is "cheating" on her.

*By children I mean anyone that acts like a child.

Community Member
    still fighting the unending armies of shavarath

OP, you don't have to leave, but if you do, there will be 2 new players to replace you.

The state of the game has never been this good. New content constantly being rolled out, the number of lfms has nearly tripled, bugs continue to be squashed (afaik, there are no game breaking issues at this time, just many many annoying bugs,) and there are so many people playing that we are getting server lag again.

Doom threads are ridiculous.

If anyone is really really unhappy with the game, just go already. Us happy campers will stay right here.

But OP, I hope you stay. The more the merrier

...J

Community Member

As an ex power gamer if I were still a power gamer... I'd be dropping the game like a hot potato in favor of one of the others... I despise TimeWarner (entertainment industry keep your slimey mitts off the MMO market)... but aside from that DDO does have lots of features what that appeal to lazy gaming... The TR system in DDO gives the illusion of progress since it doesn't become drastically hard to level like other games that have similar deals... epic levels yadda yadda...

But lets be real here... If this is your first game you can't break your gaming addiction like a power gamer (or ex power gamer could if they desired)... Games are designed to be as addicting as heroine (everyone knows cigs are more addicting then heroine... was harder for me to stop playing some games then smoking)... Having gone through the cycle of returning/leaving players on other games I know you probably are angry and full of nothing but hot air... and the designers know that as well which is why blustering hot air all over the place will do nothing... You might quit... but then in a year you'll come back for nostalgia buy a month of subscription or a content pack to try it out... become sickened again after that month is up and quit again... then you come back in another year because you forgot the reasons you left the first few times for nostalgia again... It's a very lucrative market... and TimeWarner isn't dumb they feed Turbine just enough funds to keep the game slightly above maintenance so they can produce new content at a rate that keeps you hooked but fattens their wallet...

If you don't like it... QUIT... and don't just say you are going to saying you will is just an attention ploy those who say they are going to quit are just angry and probably won't... If you want them to pay attention complain directly to corporate not to the forum mods who have absolutely no power at all and btw the information the forum moderators bring back to the designers is worth very little btw... Forumites account for the smallest minority in any game and consequently your opinion counts for about jack diddly squat...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryiah View Post
    It doesn't matter even if the "next big shiny" fails to hold their attention. This time of the year is when games tend to get released the heaviest. So even if GW2 fails to live up to the hype, there are even more shinies being released.
    Agreed.

Mass Exodus to GW2? Doubtful, a few will leave DDO, play it for a few months or less, and come back slamming it just like we see people doing now about ToR and the others. People will go play NWNO when it comes out as well, and they'll be back. In six years, I've stopped playing DDO about ten times, roughly. I went and played SWG, CoH, and AoC, each time coming back to enjoy DDO just a little bit more than before. You folks that come on these forums and cry about how you paid for this and that and expect hell to move for you are by far the most hillarious thing on the planet. Like you are so important to ANYONE, that you merit your threats and challenges to be addressed above all else. Really, I mean you paid for an expansion to a f2p game and expect the devs to cater to your want and wishes above anything else. As someone else put it, in 6+ years this game has had hundreds of people saying the same thing, with half or more returning a few months later. All we can do is wave good-bye and we'll see you in a month or so.
    If you have a group with only DPS in it and are shouting "LFM, need healer and tank"; you aren't Looking for More, you're Looking for Group.

Community Member

[insert random complaint here]
    [insert nerdrage here]
    [insert rant here]
    [insert promises to quit here]
    [insert something here]
    [insert something else here]
    [insert something stupid here]

I don't know why I keep checking these forums. There's nothing but whining and complaining going on.

I'm going to say the same thing I say every time someone complains about an update in any MMO. How about -YOU- try running a massive multiplayer online game and getting it absolutely PERFECT every single time you push out a patch? Have you ever done that? No? Then shut your trap because you have no idea what it takes to code this ****, make sure it all flows right, and make sure nothing is negatively affected.

Hell, I don't even know what it takes, which is why I -don't- complain when I find a bug. I simply report it and move on. If it makes me unable to do something, then I guess I won't be doing that something until it gets fixed.

As for Guild Wars 2, a lot of the people who play this and LoTRO play them because they -don't- require a super duper high end PC with uber epic graphics cards and such. I know that's why -I- play it, and since Guild Wars 2 -does- require those things, even on minimum settings, then I won't be playing it anytime soon.

If you're going to leave the game, then do it silently, because I honestly don't think anyone cares.

You are surely not serious? If you pay for a new Mercedes, or a house, or ANY service, you expect perfection.

Heck, if you pay for a pack of mincemeat, will you buy it if it has a label on it stating "this mince is well past its sell buy, and could cause ecoli" ??

Bottom line is if you pay for content, and that content is delivered to you, it should work.
    If you can set me up with a new Mercedes for $10/month, I will take that deal, flaws and all.

I will, however, promise that the moment I get ecoli from DDO I WILL quit the game and give away all my stuff!

Moderatly reformed forum lurker.

"Hi, Lurker"

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    Put up or shut up. Give your account away the day it releases or this is just another "look at me I'm gonna ragequit" threads.
    Yep pretty much this. Do it now or wait to post until you've put your money where your feet are.

I've "taken a break" myself since the update. This is the only mmo I've ever played and the only reason I had for playing it in the 1st place was the name dungeons and dragons pasted all over it. I can tell you that I'm going through some pretty serious withdrawal. This post and the fact that I even bother coming to the forums should point to that.

The only mmo that I would consider replacing it with would be Neverwinter whenever it happens to come out or DDO2 the only hope of getting which would be if DDO completely tanks. Either of these options I would probably be needing a new computer to play.

Would also be very willing to play a Baldur's Gate MMO since it is still the very best translation of D&D to a computer game that has ever been created, at least to my knowledge. Would get my fix with that right now if my disc drive were working and I wouldn't miss the 1st person point of view so much.

We'll see how long I can say no for now. I expect that once Ron gets the latest character planner all updated with epic destinies and such my will will shatter like glass. It is already whispering in my ear "So what if it isn't really d&d, it's just a video game. You don't want to fall even further behind do you? I hear you can do 1000s and 1000s of points of damage now! Besides, (voice smooth with temptation) playing it like it was d&d was how you fell behind in the 1st place. Come to the dark side, run those high xp quests to death, window farm, grind those sucker's to dust for that gear. You know you want to. Rules smools. Think of the gear man! Think of the gear!" And with a inner tear in my eye I listen and know that I do want to. I really do.

can I have your stuff ?

Had to say it :-P
    jk

have plenty of stuff already.

Dude, they don't care. If 10,000 subscriptions left at the same time,
    they might care.. a little.
    Halloween is dead on DDO.
    Kobalds stole it

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar

meh.

GW may be abigger threat but not by much.

Have fun
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast