Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So...what now?

Default So...what now?

nm...
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

DOOOOM!

The new stuff is gorgeous, thematically interesting and The Core, as a guild, has seen very little of it. I still think the best way to experience Faerun, if you can't see it in a PD guild, is to group with like-minded people. There Is so much cool stuff that sparks the imagination in Menace, it would be a pity to delay too long to get a taste.

My one complaint is that everything but elite is way too easy. Epic hard ought to be challenging, no?
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Community Member Gandalfs_Ghost's Avatar

Yes, we are just getting out there too, the kings Forest is frikkin awesome fun (and pretty, has some of that lotro feel).
    And HUGE!
    I thing probably every other explorer zone in the game could fit into the forest with room to spare. Its so big I found myself wishing it was possible to establish a camp there that allowed you to return to that point when you log in.
    The size, along with the other unique aspects of this zone... quite frankly its the closest Ive seen yet in this game to offering the feel of actually being on an adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    DOOOOM!

The new stuff is gorgeous, thematically interesting and The Core, as a guild, has seen very little of it. I still think the best way to experience Faerun, if you can't see it in a PD guild, is to group with like-minded people. There Is so much cool stuff that sparks the imagination in Menace, it would be a pity to delay too long to get a taste.

My one complaint is that everything but elite is way too easy. Epic hard ought to be challenging, no?
    So any perma-deathers thought about doing an alternative starting level? Use veteran-7 and start there so you can see more of the higher level content? Maybe even have a "stoned" group that vet-7's then stone of experiences to 16 to see some of the newer higher level quests?

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Default Monty is moving in to stay

For those guilds that don't use auction or broker, the new pre-adolescent-DM-here-you-can-have-a-holy-sword-for-killing-a-kobold-super-monty-haul-loot is going to have a big impact on play. The change is going to create a big shift in character power. What was difficult before will become easy. What was easy before will be a total laugher. I think it is a bad change for PD and the game as a whole, but Turb seems intent on making it super fast and easy to cap your character in "normal" play.

This is not a change that is easily ignored. Auction house and broker are simple to disallow, chests and end loot are not. I have several characters I started from scratch with the new loot. By level six, they are better equipped than my previous level ten to twelves. Progression will require less thought along the way. Strategic play will decrease in favor of zerg and heal. I don't like the change but I don't see many good alternatives.

The bright side is there is a lot of content my guild has not completed. One can only hope we find suitable challenge at new heights.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Yes loot is much better!?

But guilds may tight a bit rules, if necessary...... and ddoing Chronoscope elite at level is still a challenge for permadeath!

The problems your running into are your own devising and not with the game. You ( perma-deathers ( well ok some )) are limiting yourselves from the game...That is not Turbine's fault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

Quote Originally Posted by dredre9987 View Post
    The problems your running into are your own devising and not with the game. You ( perma-deathers ( well ok some )) are limiting yourselves from the game...That is not Turbine's fault.
    We're trying to create challenging character progression in a game that otherwise has none.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

Gotta agree with Parvo there. While I'm on pretty much the other side of the spectrum from him (lvls 1-20-25 get
    run through as fast as possible with as much twink as I can muster) I completely see the point of the PD.
    Adding challenge to the game and in the process making it more group focused and PnP like via restricting
    twinking and getting rid of zerg, zerg, zerg, die, zerg, zerg, zerg is a valid playstyle choice.

It is a shame that PD is being hit as hard as it is with this update. It is yet to be seen if the general monty-haul
    and let's just give out everything to everyone right now is good or bad for the game. So far I hear people
    liking the easier difficulties and enjoying the new loot. We will see what the feeling is like in 2-3 months.

Hope you come up with a way to make the game challenging for yourself in PD again Parvo,
    best wishes,
    Rawel
    Last edited by Rawel_San; 07-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    We're trying to create challenging character progression in a game that otherwise has none.

Right I understand that and have played PD a bit before. I'm just saying everything your whining about on the boards is because of your own set of rules. If things change to something you don't like dealing with loot, don't use it. That is a perfectly good argument here since you already tweak all the "house" rules of turbines to your own " house" rules.
    Last edited by dredre9987; 07-12-2012 at 09:20 PM.
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Portals.

Right I understand that and have played PD a bit before. I'm just saying everything your whining about on the boards is because of your own set of rules.
    Parvo and I don't see eye to eye very frequently, but this comment is ridiculous.

#1. He isn't whining.
    #2. Where else would you highlight issues relevant to permadeath play but in the PERMADEATH FORUM?

Game loot issues have nothing to do with perma death in this game since Turbine HAS NOT put in perma death, the players have. All of his gripes about loot are easily fixed by him adding more loot rules than he already uses. Turbine doesn't make content for perma death rules. They make it for overall game rules.
    Portals.

Right I understand that and have played PD a bit before. I'm just saying everything your whining about on the boards is because of your own set of rules. If things change to something you don't like dealing with loot, don't use it. That is a perfectly good argument here since you already tweak all the "house" rules of turbines to your own " house" rules.
    I whined about traps and loot. Niether are messed up because of anything to do with PD. Your solution is not thoughtful or helpful.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Game loot issues have nothing to do with perma death in this game since Turbine HAS NOT put in perma death, the players have. All of his gripes about loot are easily fixed by him adding more loot rules than he already uses. Turbine doesn't make content for perma death rules. They make it for overall game rules.
    You seem to have all the solutions. Please propose a rule that would be helpful to us. Make it such that opening chests and choosing end loot is still a fun and enjoyable reward (like it was prior to an 8 year old taking over loot duty), yet balanced such that characters have gear appropriate to the encounters they face at level. I'm listening.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    You seem to have all the solutions. Please propose a rule that would be helpful to us. Make it such that opening chests and choosing end loot is still a fun and enjoyable reward (like it was prior to an 8 year old taking over loot duty), yet balanced such that characters have gear appropriate to the encounters they face at level. I'm listening.
    That's your job as a perma-deather not mine. I will adapt to what Turbine throws at me and not try to artificially make my own damn rules. That's the problem you have with loot now. You moan about how all your loot is no good and all the drops are better and make perma-death less challenging. So what, adapt.
    Portals.

Community Member

Why don't you enforce "gateway quests" that you have to do to get to a certain level. Like, "you can't get to level 4 before doing waterworks on elite" or "You can't get to level 7 before doing a small problem on elite" That will put a nice big door on character progression. I'm sure you can find a suitable quest on each level all the way up to 20.

As for loot, I don' think the difference between a +1 shock light mace and a +1 holy light hammer is that big. As long as you skip the easier quests / enforce running the harder ones you should be OK. The big difficulty should be the consumable restrictions.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    As for loot, I don' think the difference between a +1 shock light mace and a +1 holy light hammer is that big. As long as you skip the easier quests / enforce running the harder ones you should be OK. The big difficulty should be the consumable restrictions.
    That is something you can deal with, but my level 5 paladin pulled a +6 stat item with level 14 restriction. That is worse to handle. Even if i dont play PD, i want to pull usefull gear without getting op.

That's your job as a perma-deather not mine. I will adapt to what Turbine throws at me and not try to artificially make my own damn rules. That's the problem you have with loot now. You moan about how all your loot is no good and all the drops are better and make perma-death less challenging. So what, adapt.
    So you have no worthy ideas. Congratulations. You are the target demo. The game will be made easy enough for you to easily cap and feel heroic. Epic even.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Default A suggestion from a DM.

Most, if not everything in chests/end reward lists has a plat value.

You could create a "Plat Value" Cap on items you can loot from the chest or choose as an end reward. Could be based on character level or whatever criteria you choose that holds to the spirit or your ruleset.

For instance: If a chest contains a +1 Club of PG (~250 pp ?), 175 plat, 5 Heal Kits +1 and you have a Rule Imposed 300pp worth of items you can loot from the chest.

Similar with End Reward Lists: Plat Cap on what you can choose.

It could add an element of strategic decision making and help to moderate the monty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast