Default How are the various permadeath guilds doing in Faerun?

EE has just completed the Sshindylrin(sp?) quest series with our monk duo of Magloom and Brightpaper. All runs were virgin PD(so much fun seeing new content PD!!), and most were on normal.

Brightpaper is nearing 22, and Magloom has been holding off on taking 22 for a while till others catch up. We have at least 3 others flagged for various stages of Eveningstar, and far more leveling to 20 to join in!

My most exciting moment(and I'll try to remain spoiler-free) was Don't Drink the Water. I tried to solo it with my 21 monk, and ended up running away from the end fight. That boss don't play!

How are others doing?

Yeah--that was a blast. I hope others are enjoying it too. I have not been so utterly terrified around every corner in a long time! It rocks!!

Proud Leader of Extreme Explorers Permadeath Guild on Sarlona. Check us out at http://extremeexplorers.guildportal.com

We picked up a third member, Krych, and got him flagged up to our point, and then did the first quest of the third hub, Trial by Fury. Nervous laughter abounded as we cut our way through! As cool as the quest was though, the Demonweb explorer area was AWESOME! We got 5/7 rares, and and 2 of those 5 were NO JOKE difficulty wise.

Good hunting! We got any fellow Faerun explorers in other guilds?

We've done the 2nd Demonweb quest now, and are just one quest shy of being raid ready. We're doing the last one tonight. That is where we will stop for the foreseeable future though. We don't have nearly enough people flagged to justify entering the raid. Doing quests virgin-style in PD is THE BEST!

Grats on the exploration of new content with PD toons. It certainly adds a lot of spice to the adventures. In the Core, we were only able to do Beyond The Rift, Murder by Night, and The Riddle before one of our members decided to pull out from the guild to run restriction-free in non-pd rules. We kind of realized the restrictions on repeating quests and others would be too limiting if we wanted to run the new quests.

My question: how difficult 1-10 would you rank the various series and stand alone quests? I've done them all on normal and hard and quite a few in elite. The raid we completed in a pug about 6 hours ago.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Gimme a day or two and I'll give you an answer. I'm about to jet out the door in a few min to work all day.

Ok, here is a very very brief run-down. I'll fill in the gaps spoiler free over the coming days. Also, keep in mind this is on Normal difficulty primarily, unless otherwise noted, and almost everyone thus far has had evasion, which might skew my interpretation of difficulty.

Beyond the Rift: 5/10
    Don't Drink the Water: Quest as a whole, 3/10, end fight 8/10
    Impossible Demands: 5/10
    In the Belly of the Beast: 5/10
    Murder by Night: 7/10
    Reclaiming the Rift: Uncompleted
    The Battle for Eveningstar: 5/10
    The Deal and the Demon: 4/10, end fight 3/10
    The House of Broken Chains: 6/10
    The House of Death Undone: 7/10
    The House of Rusted Blades: 4/10
    The Lost Thread: 4/10
    The Portal Opens: 4/10
    The Riddle: 4/10
    The Unquiet Graves: 8/10
    Trial by Fury: 4/10

I just did Reclaiming the Rift. I'd rate it 6/10.

That's about as far as we can reasonably expect to go anytime soon. We don't have the numbers at high enough level to justify a PD-virgin raid.

And the raid is down and won't be back up for days or weeks, more likely.

I think your ratings of the normal content of Menace are pretty fair. In my opinion, you at +1 (or .5 in some cases) to those challenge ratings to do them on hard. Not much difference between normal and hard, elite is way up there though.

I think the Core will be adding an "Epic Rules" branch to our ruleset. The dungeon-crawling, pd-lite guild I wanted for Menace stuff just never got off the ground. The Epic ruleplay will be simple:

1. Flawless Victory required (explorer areas exempted of course).
    2. Group with guild only.
    3. Anything else is ok.

Hopefully this will encourage people to keep going with their characters in The Core.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

In Mortal Voyage we have a lot of new content to look forward to. Although some players have been off exploring the new content with non-PD, many are patiently trudging along, content in knowing the most fun one can have in PD is virgin questing. The current state of traps at lower level is slowing progress of new characters who aren't highly optimized, but it seems to not affect mid level much. We have groups in the 12-14 range that are seeing content that is unfamiliar. Characters that progress to mid level with the new pre-adolescent-DM-here-have-a-holy-sword-for-killing-a-kobold-loot will have a big advantage over older characters. There's no doubt it will make things easier.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member Gandalfs_Ghost's Avatar

We finally got a highbie group together to start running the new epic content, starting with the Web of Chaos chain.
    Lords of Dust - epic hard - we had no problems here, end fight included. maybe 5/10.
    Servants of the Overlord - epic hard - totally different story, we were very hard pressed, a few dicey moments during the big fight but nobody panicked and sublime emerged victorious - 8/10
    Spinner of Shadows - epic hard - ok so I missed this one due to wife aggro but someone took my spot and again sublime won the day, similarly challenging as servant from what I was told, so a tentative (adjusted after speaking to guildies, servants is the harder of the two) - 7/10.
    Beyond the Rift - epic hard - cakewalk relatively speaking. 2 or 3/10 maybe.

These ratings are sublime relative as our pd guild does use Ah and broker gear.

next up, epic hard Realms quests...
    Last edited by Gandalfs_Ghost; 07-17-2012 at 11:24 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalfs_Ghost View Post
    We finally got a highbie group together to start running the new epic content, starting with the Web of Chaos chain.
    Lords of Dust - epic hard - we had no problems here, end fight included. maybe 5/10.
    Servants of the Overlord - epic hard - totally different story, we were very hard pressed, a few dicey moments during the big fight but nobody panicked and sublime emerged victorious - 8/10
    Spinner of Shadows - epic hard - ok so I missed this one due to wife aggro but someone took my spot and again sublime won the day, similarly challenging as servant from what I was told, so a tentative (adjusted after speaking to guildies, servants is the harder of the two) - 7/10.
    Beyond the Rift - epic hard - cakewalk relatively speaking. 2 or 3/10 maybe.

These ratings are sublime relative as our pd guild does use Ah and broker gear.

next up, epic hard Realms quests...

I'd even say dust was really a 4 or 3, not challenging on hard at all. Elite? Looking forward to trying hard realm quests, including trying our hand at that dragon.....

Some quests in eveningstar are quite challenging and I would not be surprised at a wipe in the future for some pd folks.

As far as the complaints of the montyhaul loot...I think we are seeing this in the wrong way. Many of us have played for two years or more now and have massive meta gaming knowledge of sub level 6 quests. Personally, loot or no loot, I find those quest comically easy for older players. We are just too experienced. For the past year this game has very much decided that they will let you choose as difficult path as you want. Want a stroll to 20? That option is available to you. Want to bite your nails on each quest, you can do that too. If at any point you find the game too easy, there are quests on hard or elite or quests higher than your level. Loot only goes so far in making things Possible, but it is really quest selection after that point that determines difficulty. This applies to FR as well. FR loot opens shroud hard, hox, and even vod or tod. "Making things easier with the new loot" really only applies if we don't modify our quest selection to ensure challenge. I'm seeing the new loot as simply another change to adapt to, not really one that kills challenge.

So I say stop the harping on the in quest loot. Strap it on and find quests that are challenging and new, with the loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthbadger View Post
    ...So I say stop the harping on the in quest loot. Strap it on and find quests that are challenging and new, with the loot.
    I'm not much in to strapons, but I think your perspective has merit. Once the trap DCs are fixed, it is legitimate to consistently form PD parties for quests one or two levels over on elite. It's something Chai has advocated for a while in reference to guilds who use auction and/or broker.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by Darthbadger View Post

So I say stop the harping on the in quest loot. Strap it on and find quests that are challenging and new, with the loot.
    Where Turbine made their biggest goof on this is giving us considerably more toys to play with over the years, but not supplying the mobs equally.

It would be hilarious if kobolds were stepping out of their hiding spots shooting us with shocking burst of bleeding repeaters and had point blank shot + rapid reload feats to back it up, with all the relevant arty buffs, along with rune arms etc.

Imagine stepping around the corner in durks and getting shot with three quick rounds of shocking burst + bleed + acid + force imbue off rune arm, at double base damage because the mob was within 30 feet of you. Youd best be quick to get back behind that corner before his rune arm charges completely, or there goes the remainder of your HP.

As it stands now, the kobold throwers dont require any attention whatsoever. Just run past em.
    Last edited by Chai; 07-19-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member Gandalfs_Ghost's Avatar

Impossible Demands - Epic Hard - 2-manned by me (SorcAS) and Padd (PM), spicy for 2 but doable. Was not a cakewalk but managable, hard to say difficulty, maybe 6 or 7/10.

The Unquiet Graves - Epic Hard - 3 man - added Maha on his Arti - dungeon alert almost killed us is all I am going to say. We did complete but had to punch out almost immediately. Again, difficulty hard to state due to game mechanic making a challenging fight go plaid. So 6 or 7 out of 10 I guess.