Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    527

    Default Monk spalsh problems.

    Just wondered if this has been brought up.

    I've seen that items that increase the die step of unarmed damage (like monk active past life, garments of equilibrium etc) don't work with druids who take a monk splash. However, i hadn't noticed something much worse than that being mentioned. Taking a splash of monk reduces your base damage. Dire wolf goes from d10 base damage to 1d6. Dire bear goes from 1d12 to 1d6.

    It would be nice to know if this is going to be fixed.

  2. #2
    Community Member jortann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    I alos noticed that fighting in human form with scimitars does not apply STR bonuses or any other bonuses to damage. I thought this was just a general bug but perhaps it is because I have a monk splash.

    I have made it to level 14 this way, but am tired of being gimped. I hope a fix to this is in the patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Last-Wolf View Post
    I surrender to your wit sir, well played
    Toons on Thelanis... Bairclaw, Icemaachine, Slydawg, Tazzster

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1

    Default Flame Blade

    Quote Originally Posted by jortann View Post
    I alos noticed that fighting in human form with scimitars does not apply STR bonuses or any other bonuses to damage. I thought this was just a general bug but perhaps it is because I have a monk splash..
    Flame Blade:
    "Summons a scimitar of fire that does fire damage, instead of slashing damage, and uses the wielder's Wisdom instead of Strength for determining attack and damage bonuses. The user can choose to summon one-handed or two-handed versions, and the swords are automatically equipped when created. At caster level 1, it has a +1 enhancement bonus and the flaming effect. Every five caster levels the summoned swords improve. Because they are an extension of the caster's will, monks may use these weapons without becoming uncentered. The flame blade is not a physical weapon, but rather pure flame shaped by the caster's will; because of this, it is snuffed out if unequipped. "

    It not a bug 8)

    but from the ddo wiki
    "Flame blade states that Every five caster levels the summoned swords improve. At level one it starts off with a +1 Enhancement bonus and Flaming. By level 20, you get 2(1d6) base damage, +5 enhancement, flaming burst, flaming blast, incineration, blinding embers. Flame blade does not do any type of damage type a normal weapon would do. (I.E. Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeon) but rather are considered Fire and Magic. (Currently bugged to where they are being DRed by things they should not be.) "

    one bug for the Scimitars
    Last edited by Gragoon42; 07-13-2012 at 09:52 PM.

  4. #4
    Community Member Dolphious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gragoon42 View Post
    Flame Blade:
    "Summons a scimitar of fire that does fire damage, instead of slashing damage, and uses the wielder's Wisdom instead of Strength for determining attack and damage bonuses. The user can choose to summon one-handed or two-handed versions, and the swords are automatically equipped when created. At caster level 1, it has a +1 enhancement bonus and the flaming effect. Every five caster levels the summoned swords improve. Because they are an extension of the caster's will, monks may use these weapons without becoming uncentered. The flame blade is not a physical weapon, but rather pure flame shaped by the caster's will; because of this, it is snuffed out if unequipped. "

    It not a bug 8)

    but from the ddo wiki
    "Flame blade states that Every five caster levels the summoned swords improve. At level one it starts off with a +1 Enhancement bonus and Flaming. By level 20, you get 2(1d6) base damage, +5 enhancement, flaming burst, flaming blast, incineration, blinding embers. Flame blade does not do any type of damage type a normal weapon would do. (I.E. Slashing, Piercing, Bludgeon) but rather are considered Fire and Magic. (Currently bugged to where they are being DRed by things they should not be.) "

    one bug for the Scimitars
    Yeah flame blade is really pretty terrible right now. I was hoping to dual wield them as a way to save mana on my mostly-caster druid, but they're much worse than I expected.
    1. Total damage mods are very low. The lvl 20 version is just sad compared to the easy to get eveningstar turn in weapons.
    2. About a 1/3 of lvl 16+ mobs are immune to fire, and another 1/3 highly resistant (like 20-30, so much that even with -15 FR from flames of purity and fury of the noonday sun I'm hitting for 0-5 with a +17 wis mod on my lvl 18 druid).
    3. you suffer from both physical DR and FR (this one is probably a bug, but it's not a known issue, so who knows it if will ever get changed).

    I was hoping it would be a fun way to save some mana, but it's highly situation, and even when it works to full effect, it's ok at best.
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

    Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

  5. #5
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    I have a dru/monk multi as well right now - I am waiting till the display bug on the weapons with monks is fixed so I can make an actual assessment of what the various combinations of shapes and weapons are actually doing.

    Right now, can't make any assessment because it always shows 1d6... OP, you likely ARE getting step multipliers (which is what monks do) , you just can't see it due to the display bug.

  6. #6

    Default

    The bug is your base dmg is being replaced by the monks dmg progression. So white wolf goes from d10 19-20x3 to d6 19-20x3. This is bad.

    HOWEVER increases from monk past life, items, every 4 levels of monk, etc, add to the d6 dmg. It took me a long while to figure out why I was doing d9 dmg to the target dummy and not d10 after I took the monk past life feat...

  7. #7
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I have a dru/monk multi as well right now - I am waiting till the display bug on the weapons with monks is fixed so I can make an actual assessment of what the various combinations of shapes and weapons are actually doing.

    Right now, can't make any assessment because it always shows 1d6... OP, you likely ARE getting step multipliers (which is what monks do) , you just can't see it due to the display bug.
    Its not a display bug it was the first thing i tested. Its easy enough to test by hitting mobs and taking notice of what the damage numbers are. A level of monk 100% changes your base damage to 1d6. Adding active past life feat and garments of equilibrium etc may well improve it. But as it stands taking a level of monk definitely reduces your base damage dice.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Just checked to see if maybe this was included in U15 as an undocumented fix, but Dru/Monk animal damage still shows as 1d6. I bugged it on live and there was some mention of it on the live forums by a dev, but I'm just updating this thread to keep it visible.
    Desilha Whispertouch - 20 Thief Acrobat | Tsevyena Phalanx - 15 Hunter of the Dead | Nohwi - 20 Shintao Monk
    Cordellya - 18WIZ/2ROG/5E PM | Jakoma - 20/5e Big F'n Stick| Saphna - DrunkTank 8DRU/1MNK

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    481

    Default

    Anyone who wonders if it's just a display bug should go to a training dummy and test it. The base monk unarmed damage overwrites what's written in the wolf/bear tooltip, which is a pretty big deal once you hit your dire/winter form. The devs have acknowledged it as a bug but it doesn't appear to be among the monk/druid fixes that have been confirmed for U15, unfortunately.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    160

    Default

    It is not a display only bug - Monk damage is overwriting animal form damage - Quote from eladrin is here

    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I don't consider that working as intended. The [W] for your unarmed attacks should change based on form.
    And remember that animal form damage is unarmed so the +.5[W] damage that is granted by the monk past life feat and by various items should affect animal form damage as well (this was stated as intended in the closed beta forums for U14)

    Our question is will this be fixed, or will this appear in the known issues if it will not be fixed, and if it is not fixed does every monk splash druid that is now less then was expected be getting a free respec to fix it. (or will we have to spend more money to fix what was not WAI after the last time we spent money)

    I sincerly hope that this will be fixed for U15

  11. #11
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Well I just tested it now. It was not fixed in U15.

    Dire bear form still shows as 1d6, and actual combat testing confirms 1d6 is what I'm really doing.

    I then put my Jidz tetka on and went into mountain stance; damage on inventory panel changed to show 1.5(1d6), as it should be. Combat testing showed that is the damage I was doing, so at least reinforced fist effects seem to be working now. On a side note, with 1.5(1d6) base damage and strength mod of 5, the actual damage range calculated out to 6.5-14. Testing proved this correct, with the min damage rounding down to 6.

    Also, I seem to be doing random force damage while in animal form. I'm not certain where it's coming from. I'm probably just overlooking it somewhere.

    One last thing, The 'display bug' that is being mentioned in this thread I think is referring to the damage display on the inventory panel. U14 changed most damage numbers to a range rather than a die roll, showing what the final damage range would be. Druid/monk damage, at least, still shows as a die roll.
    Desilha Whispertouch - 20 Thief Acrobat | Tsevyena Phalanx - 15 Hunter of the Dead | Nohwi - 20 Shintao Monk
    Cordellya - 18WIZ/2ROG/5E PM | Jakoma - 20/5e Big F'n Stick| Saphna - DrunkTank 8DRU/1MNK

  12. #12
    Developer Eladrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marlborough, MA
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    I have a fix for the monk unarmed d6 overwriting animal form die sizes prepared locally - it didn't make it into U15, but I'm hoping to get it through for a patch.

  13. #13
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I have a fix for the monk unarmed d6 overwriting animal form die sizes prepared locally - it didn't make it into U15, but I'm hoping to get it through for a patch.
    Sweet! Thanks Eladrin. My Drunk looks forward to dusting away the cobwebs
    Desilha Whispertouch - 20 Thief Acrobat | Tsevyena Phalanx - 15 Hunter of the Dead | Nohwi - 20 Shintao Monk
    Cordellya - 18WIZ/2ROG/5E PM | Jakoma - 20/5e Big F'n Stick| Saphna - DrunkTank 8DRU/1MNK

  14. #14
    Community Member Alexandryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    East Coast, USA
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    I have a fix for the monk unarmed d6 overwriting animal form die sizes prepared locally - it didn't make it into U15, but I'm hoping to get it through for a patch.

    Is the intent for monk unarmed to overwrite animal die sizes if and only if they would lead to a higher potential result?


    OR


    To ignore monk unarmed die in all cases while in animal form?
    Chelos - TRing multiclassing support
    One of the top scorers of the 2011 and 2012 PAX EAST challenge and winner of 2 Lifetime memberships to DDO.
    "S" of Team BAS (2011)

  15. #15
    Developer Eladrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Marlborough, MA
    Posts
    2,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandryte View Post
    Is the intent for monk unarmed to overwrite animal die sizes if and only if they would lead to a higher potential result?

    OR

    To ignore monk unarmed die in all cases while in animal form?
    The first. If you're a monk in an elemental or angelic form, for instance, you'll upgrade to a 1d6 unarmed attack die. The monk 1d6 won't overwrite a bear's claw since that would be a downgrade.

  16. #16
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,427

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    The first. If you're a monk in an elemental or angelic form, for instance, you'll upgrade to a 1d6 unarmed attack die. The monk 1d6 won't overwrite a bear's claw since that would be a downgrade.
    So, if you happened to be an 18monk/2druid for example, with bear form, would your attack damage be 3[1d6] or 1d8?

  17. #17
    Community Member zealous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shadereaper33 View Post
    So, if you happened to be an 18monk/2druid for example, with bear form, would your attack damage be 3[1d6] or 1d8?
    or
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeald View Post
    And remember that animal form damage is unarmed so the +.5[W] damage that is granted by the monk past life feat and by various items should affect animal form damage as well (this was stated as intended in the closed beta forums for U14)
    i.e. 3[1d8]

  18. #18
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    76

    Default

    Well, I have confirmed that animal form with a monk splash is indeed fixed by the 15.1 patch. Woohoo!

    Now I have to figure out why I'm doing random force damage. I think it's related to Nature's Warrior...
    Desilha Whispertouch - 20 Thief Acrobat | Tsevyena Phalanx - 15 Hunter of the Dead | Nohwi - 20 Shintao Monk
    Cordellya - 18WIZ/2ROG/5E PM | Jakoma - 20/5e Big F'n Stick| Saphna - DrunkTank 8DRU/1MNK

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload