Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Community Member wtorchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    91

    Default

    So this thread looks like as good a place as any to ask a few questions. I am just coming back to DDO after a few month break and I am trying to rework my cleric. He is currently a 2nd life HO 17 cleric/2 fighter all lvl ups in ST. Wis started at 13, char 14, st 19. I like the way the he plays right now with a 2 hnd weapon, but I am looking at what I can do with the new stuff. What I am trying to figure out is if I should use my free LR pick up the shield mastery line and go into the Unyielding Sentinel line once I hit those lvls. It looks like I should be able to get a good defense boost and still be OK in melee as long as I keep my PA and IC.

    With that said my main to questions are:
    1) Is the defense worth it in the later levels?
    2) What 1 hand weapon to use? Bastard sword (assuming that the HO enhance line works with it) or Koposh?

  2. #22
    Community Member Meat-Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtorchia View Post
    So this thread looks like as good a place as any to ask a few questions. I am just coming back to DDO after a few month break and I am trying to rework my cleric. He is currently a 2nd life HO 17 cleric/2 fighter all lvl ups in ST. Wis started at 13, char 14, st 19. I like the way the he plays right now with a 2 hnd weapon, but I am looking at what I can do with the new stuff. What I am trying to figure out is if I should use my free LR pick up the shield mastery line and go into the Unyielding Sentinel line once I hit those lvls. It looks like I should be able to get a good defense boost and still be OK in melee as long as I keep my PA and IC.

    With that said my main to questions are:
    1) Is the defense worth it in the later levels?
    2) What 1 hand weapon to use? Bastard sword (assuming that the HO enhance line works with it) or Koposh?


    I did a life as a max STR 19/1 cleric ftr Horc with a Lit2 Falchion.


    I did not like it. I felt like the DPS was weaker than I wanted. Also, my casting DC sucked, my SP pool was low. I found it was still usually faster to kite thru half-power BBs...

    Then I TRed to a high wis clonk. Better is sooo many ways IMO. Better dps due to stuns PLUS you don't sacrifice DCs as much.

    That's my take anyway.
    KASHIL -- KASHILAH -- MATTAH -- MAHGANE -- KHYBER -- ANNIHILATION
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, Meat-Head is exactly correct...

  3. #23
    Community Member wtorchia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    I did a life as a max STR 19/1 cleric ftr Horc with a Lit2 Falchion.


    I did not like it. I felt like the DPS was weaker than I wanted. Also, my casting DC sucked, my SP pool was low. I found it was still usually faster to kite thru half-power BBs...

    Then I TRed to a high wis clonk. Better is sooo many ways IMO. Better dps due to stuns PLUS you don't sacrifice DCs as much.

    That's my take anyway.
    I can see where you are coming from on the DC side. My first life was as a pure human caster cleric. I could see maybe dropping my ST down and maxing WIS to be able to cast better.
    The main reason that I went max ST was I found my self just sitting in the back healing in most groups. I needed all of my SP just to keep every one up. I figured if I was going to just heal with my SP I might as well get up close with every one taking damage and heal them with my aura and burst as well. So far it has worked for my play style.
    I want to finish out this life to 25 to see how things play out before I decide what to do next. The only debate for me at this point is if I stay 2 hnd specked or go shield + weapon. I just do not know how much melee DPS I will loose VS defense gained.

  4. #24
    Community Member Meat-Head's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wtorchia View Post
    I can see where you are coming from on the DC side. My first life was as a pure human caster cleric. I could see maybe dropping my ST down and maxing WIS to be able to cast better.
    The main reason that I went max ST was I found my self just sitting in the back healing in most groups. I needed all of my SP just to keep every one up. I figured if I was going to just heal with my SP I might as well get up close with every one taking damage and heal them with my aura and burst as well. So far it has worked for my play style.
    I want to finish out this life to 25 to see how things play out before I decide what to do next. The only debate for me at this point is if I stay 2 hnd specked or go shield + weapon. I just do not know how much melee DPS I will loose VS defense gained.
    Yeah, I'm just trying to tell you you can have BOTH melee AND casting DCs. You'll want to FOCUS on one or the other, but they don't have to be STRICTLY exclusive like they are on STR builds.
    KASHIL -- KASHILAH -- MATTAH -- MAHGANE -- KHYBER -- ANNIHILATION
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, Meat-Head is exactly correct...

  5. #25
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Hi guys. Found this thread and thought I'd give my input as I have (what I feel to be) a solid AC/damage mitigation build for my cleric. Meet Margarethe:

    (All stats given are unbuffed, with "standard gear" [see below] equipped, in Unyielding Sentinel, UB stance)
    The basics:

    Dwarf Cleric, Currently 25 (19 clr 1 ft), on 5th life (3 cleric, 1 fvs)

    HP 674
    SP 2311
    AC 157
    DR: 10/Epic 5/- 10/pierce
    PRR: 118

    Fort 45
    Ref 33
    Will 39
    Fortification 165%

    str 14 -> 24
    dex 16 -> 26
    con 13 -> 25
    Int 8 -> 12
    Wis 23 -> 35
    Cha 10 -> 22
    (Base -> Enhance/feats/Tomes)

    Feats

    3x clr past life, 1x fvs past life passive
    Emp Heal
    Emp Spell
    Extend
    Maximize
    Quicken
    Imp. Mental toughness
    Shield mastery/Imp. shield mastery
    Unyielding Sovereignty

    Enhancements

    Racial:

    Dwarven armor mastery 3
    Shield Mastery 3
    Child of the mountain 3
    Stand like stone 3
    Dwarf Fortress 3
    1st/2nd/3rd core abilities

    Warpriest:

    Toughness 3
    Sacred Touch 3
    Awareness 2
    Righteous Weapons (up to 3rd tier)
    Wall of Steel 3
    1st/2nd/3rd/4th core abilities

    Radiant Servant:

    Extra turning 3
    Bliss 1
    Improved Turning 3
    Mighty Turning 1
    Imp. Emp. Heal 3
    +1 Wis
    Intense Healing 1
    Endless Turning 3
    Pos. Energy Aura 1
    1st/2nd/3rd/4th core abilities

    ED: Unyielding Sentinel

    Divine Energy Resistence 3
    Brace For Impact 2
    Shield Prowess 3
    Fanaticism
    Legendary Shield Mastery 3
    Spark of Life 1
    Purify Weapon 1
    Hardened 3
    Strength of vitality 2

    Twists

    Walking with the Waves 3 (GMoF)
    Lithe 3 (SD)
    Dragonhide 3 (DI)

    Standard Gear

    Blue Dragon Helm (EN)
    Blue Dragon Plate
    Jorgundal's Collar (EN)
    Greater Bold trinket
    Con Op GS Cloak
    Belt of the Sun Soul
    Epic Buccaneers Ring
    Fabricators Gauntlets
    Boots of Propulsion
    Ancient Band (EH)
    Fabrcators Bracers

    Oathblade
    Bastion (EH)

    Augments

    Topaz of Deathblock (Collar)
    Sapphire of Natural armor +7 (Buccaneer)
    Topaz of power 200 (ancient band)
    Topaz of Heavy Fort (Blue Dragon plate)
    Topaz of feather falling (Blue dragon helm)

    I think that pretty much covers everything... I left out 1 feat because I need to swap it for bulwark of defence to give another slight bump, as well as changing the topaz of FF in the blue dragon helm to a topaz of PRR +14. All said and done, when I have my aura on, with ship buffs, resting at 163, PRR 121 (135 when the topaz gets switched). AC goes up to 167 once I do the swap, which is a 78% chance to defend (22% chance to hit). The 4th core from Warpriest gives 20% (80% chance to hit) blur to further mitigate damage. The last piece I need is the ring of shadows to give ghostly (another 10% miss chance, 90% to hit) and something for 5% dodge. Enemies at lvl will have a 15% chance to hit(.22*.8*.9*.95=.15048 to hit), with PRR reducing any damage by 45% and then going through 26 DR of various sorts. All said and done, Marg can stand in the fray without fear and still dish out the heals that are required to keep the party alive.



    NB: I know there's a lot of room for improvement for my gear, but at present it works well for my playstyle. I am also aware of the redundancies in some of the gear, and am working towards correcting them (for instance, changing the ancient band to the Ring of Shadows to fix the fort redundancy.) All stats mentioned above are for my normal, every day running. I gear slightly different for raids and parties I'm pugging than for raids/parties with people I know, and obv. gear switches for different situations (e.g. having to do more melee than healing or vice versa.) Stats don't include buffs such as bard/wiz/sorc buffs or pally aura, so the AC/prr/dr could very well go 5 - 8 points higher, or more. More testing, retesting and re-retesting will be needed to confirm.
    Last edited by teknophreaq; 05-02-2014 at 03:41 AM.

  6. #26
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    50

    Default

    I'm on the fence about Elusive Target EDF... If I take it, it only translates into a .8% reduction in chance to hit (15 to 14.2%), and I'm sure there's something a little more useful I could do with the feat.



    I can has moar AC plz?

  7. #27
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    50

    Default

    The answer is yes. With a reroll and some feat switches, up to 184 with aura/combat expertise on. Dunno how close I'll come, but 200 may be possible by 28... We'll see how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload