Default Flameblade: Dumping Strength?

So okay, not "dumping" because you have to worry about encumbearance- but are most druids going this route? I'm a bear druid with an 18 str 16 wisdom, half orc, and looking at Flameblade it appears that you could be much better served going pure wis.

Till you run into something immune to fire.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

That's absolutely a concern- do you think fire immunity would be a dealbreaker for a druid centered around Flameblade?

Community Member

I think flameblade might work better as a backup on a caster druid ... real melees need more options than just one element for their weapon, and flameblade is the only wis-centered weapon in the game.

With flameblade, you cannot:

1. melee a fire giant
    2. melee a fire elemental
    3. melee an iron golem
    4. do much damage to any construct
    5. hurt a blackbone undead
    6. break devil DR
    7. break demon DR
    8. break abberation DR
    9. ..... break ANY DR
    10. make a comperable GS weapon
    11. Get smiting, banishing, disruption or bane
    12. Get multiple damage effects.

So flameblade leaves you considerably behind on DPS, unable to break DR (which leaves you unable to damage most bosses) and locks you into precisely 1 weapon for your entire career.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzywolf View Post
    I think flameblade might work better as a backup on a caster druid ... real melees need more options than just one element for their weapon, and flameblade is the only wis-centered weapon in the game.
    ^^This.

"Backup" is maybe the wrong word. It's more like a situational auxiliary to your casting: Sometimes, Flame Blades will be all you need. Other times, they won't work so well, and you'll have to rely on your casting and/or teammates.

1. melee a fire giant
    3. melee an iron golem
    6. break devil DR
    7. break demon DR
    8. break abberation DR
    9. ..... break ANY DR

So flameblade leaves you considerably behind on DPS, unable to break DR (which leaves you unable to damage most bosses) and locks you into precisely 1 weapon for your entire career.
    only half of those are true. Flame blade can still be enchanted by weapon buffs and things like dragontouched armor should still work on them. The heroic levels wont offer much unless your grouping with an arti, but some of the ED stuff can work with them.

Im not sure that I would build a druid around them just yet. But I might build a FvS or cleric around it. Maybe even a monk.
    GOKI monk 20 | IICO fighter 20 | EGO sorc 20 | IRRO favored soul 20

I recently capped my mainly caster focused druid and found flame blade incredibly underwhelming. I had max wisdom and only 14 starting strength, and I was doing more damage with an SOS than flame blade.

The wisdom to hit/damage also doesn't work in animal form, so you are not able to take advantage of any of those bonuses.
    ~ Cheara : Raizertron : Pozitron : Higgz Bowtron : Illudium : Staphe Infection : Abraa Capocus ~
    Nooby McNoobsalot
    Ghallanda Rerolled

Yeah the draw of something like flameblade before u14 would have been the wis to hit actually allowing you to hit things on a wis based build after lvl 10 or so, but now a low to-hit is only a modest dps lost so flame blade has to compete with other weapons more directly in terms of DPS.

BTW SoS is probably pretty sub-par for a low str druid also though unless you have a lot of other base damage boosts, you want something with a lot of damage mods (greensteel or frosted holy of PG would be good while leveling).
    Gildus, Yhvain, Sabathiel, Einion

Cannith, GOCI
    Be Chill, have fun

Community Member threefeetunder's Avatar

1. melee a fire giant
    3. melee an iron golem
    6. break devil DR
    7. break demon DR
    8. break abberation DR
    9. ..... break ANY DR

Actually it should break every kind of dr, dr shouldn't apply to it (the fact that it does atm is a bug and devs already stated they plan to fix it).
    If something is resistant to fire, that can be a rather big issue but remember that fires of purity reduces enemy resistance by 10 and quench by another 50, which helps a bit if something if resistant. If something is immune, then use spells, you're a caster based druid after all.
    Last edited by threefeetunder; 07-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.

IIRC it should ignore DR as if it were a spell rather than a weapon, but be effected by resistance/immunity/vulnerability to fire, it is however bugged atm.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Thanks for all the input guys- I'm still reacclimatizing myself to all the changes to the game, especially the new AB system. The fact that it doesn't work in wild shape pretty much puts the idea down for me (I'm at work so couldn't test it). The changed AB system is truly weird and unintuitive for people coming off of p&p d&d.