Thread: Epic XP

Default Epic XP

First and foremost this isn't a doom post but a post about a question that I had recently. If all of the epics before the xpack start out at lvl 21 (norm), then this means that Epic Elite is lvl 23. This gives me a bit of concern since that would impose a 10% xp penalty on anyone lvl 25 who is trying to cap out other destinies. I know that the challenges and explorers exist but that gets a little mind numbing at times. I am curious if there is any plan to shift the epic spectrum up a level so epic norm-elite would be 22-24 instead of the current 21-23.

Feel free to discuss but keep the doom and complaints out of this thread please.
    Toastee McRoastybuns - Shinigamii - Theifing Slum - Bakabaka - Salsasnack - Tssst The Dog Whisperer
    MrBlonde - Omakase Omnomnom - Austrian Deathmachine - Consonar Crazy Ivan
    Ascent

Community Member

It was discussed before without any comment from dev(afaik). Best suggestion that is saw was to remove all over level xp penalty in l20+ quests. If I'm correct the "Power-leveling penalty" is working in similar way.

Epic is not a set level.

Epic is not anymore a specially challenging difficulty.

Epic is not just the name for levels 21 and up.

Quests at lvl 1- 20 are heroic level quests, quests level 21 - 25 are epic level quests. There are epic level quests that are lvl 21, and there are epic level quests that are lvl 25.

A lvl 25 quest on epic normal is not particularly more challenging for a lvl 25 character than a lvl 10 quest on heroic normal for a lvl 10 character.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    Epic is not a set level.

Epic is not anymore a specially challenging difficulty.

Epic is not just the name for levels 21 and up.

Quests at lvl 1- 20 are heroic level quests, quests level 21 - 25 are epic level quests. There are epic level quests that are lvl 21, and there are epic level quests that are lvl 25.

A lvl 25 quest on epic normal is not particularly more challenging for a lvl 25 character than a lvl 10 quest on heroic normal for a lvl 10 character.
    So your point is what?

Re-read the original post...it is not about difficulty what-so-ever. It is about the lack of full xp quests to run at cap to get destiny xp.
    Toastee McRoastybuns - Shinigamii - Theifing Slum - Bakabaka - Salsasnack - Tssst The Dog Whisperer
    Ascent

The point is that epic elite is not set at lvl 23. Epic elite can be as high as 27.

I dont see that the problem the OP talks about exist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    The point is that epic elite is not set at lvl 23. Epic elite can be as high as 27.

I dont see that the problem the OP talks about exist at all.
    It exists for some quests then...

Quote Originally Posted by Forzah View Post
    It exists for some quests then...
    If your point/concern is that: If at level 25 you choose to go back to the level 21 epic quests and run them for experience to level your destinies, and that by doing so you will be a minimum of 2 levels over the highest quest level possible (Epic Elite = 23) and as such would be hit with a experience penalty for being over level.

Then you are 100% correct, as a level 25 in a level 23 quest, there will be an experience penalty.

However there will still be plenty of other quests, that will be within your level range, to run that won't have an experience penalty, and most of them will (most likely) provide more experience than the lower level ones anyway. So in all reality you'll be fine and won't have any trouble leveling those destinies up.

Good Gaming!!
    -Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We are not working with the aliens to send messages that are picked up by your microwaved meatloaf dinner. At least I don't think so...

Most currently existing epic quests are level 21-22 on norm, that is true. I don't feel the need to change anything tho, it even seems to me that it was done on purpose to leave space for new quests coming in the next updates.

Lvl 23 is the best level to farm destinies right now, there's very little reason to level to anything above that currently.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    Most currently existing epic quests are level 21-22 on norm, that is true. I don't feel the need to change anything tho, it even seems to me that it was done on purpose to leave space for new quests coming in the next updates.

Lvl 23 is the best level to farm destinies right now, there's very little reason to level to anything above that currently.
    AFAIK, when you cap and take 25, the repetition counter for quests stops, so further repeats of the quest won't suffer from further decreased xp - but you still have the penalty for however many times you repeated that quest. Staying at 23 will eventually mean you're running quests at their xp minimums, since leveling all the destinies to cap on one toon in one life is going to take something like 19.8 million xp (until they add more).

I guess the alternative is to TR and reset the quest counters... or once you hit 20, all quest repetition counters get reset and turned off, or limited to -50% or lower. I know I farmed the Attack on Eveningstar chain to ransack trying to pull an Ancient Gemstone docent on my sorc, and my xp in those quests are junk now.
    Last edited by WolfHealr; 07-01-2012 at 09:00 AM.
    General mischief maker and trap spring... I mean... disarmer. No really! I swear I had no idea that trap was there!

Quote Originally Posted by S1M0N5 View Post
    However there will still be plenty of other quests, that will be within your level range, to run that won't have an experience penalty, and most of them will (most likely) provide more experience than the lower level ones anyway. So in all reality you'll be fine and won't have any trouble leveling those destinies up.

Good Gaming!!
    -Simon
    Hope this is the case. From what I saw while running the new content, the 5 quests in the 2nd chain are base 22 and the 3 in the 3rd chain are base 23. So this leaves 8 quests that do not suffer XP penalties if you run them at cap. I already know the challenges have a broader level selection but those aren't really along the lines of quests in my book. I'm just concerned that full XP content at lvl cap will be limited to less than 10 quests (excluding challenges).

I'm sure new quests are slated for the future, I was just curious if they perhaps overlooked this possible issue.
    Ascent

Quote Originally Posted by WolfHealr View Post
    AFAIK, when you cap and take 25, the repetition counter for quests stops, so further repeats of the quest won't suffer from further decreased xp - but you still have the penalty for however many times you repeated that quest. Staying at 23 will eventually mean you're running quests at their xp minimums, since leveling all the destinies to cap on one toon in one life is going to take something like 18.9 million xp (until they add more).

I guess the alternative is to TR and reset the quest counters... or once you hit 20, all quest repetition counters get reset and turned off, or limited to -50% or lower. I know I farmed the Attack on Eveningstar chain to ransack trying to pull an Ancient Gemstone docent on my sorc, and my xp in those quests are junk now.
    I completely forgot about the repeats stopping at cap. Thanks for the reminder.
    Ascent

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by furbyoats View Post
    I completely forgot about the repeats stopping at cap. Thanks for the reminder.
    No problem, you just woke up - no coffee yet :P GET IN GAME NAO!

I think that's going to change how I level my main to 25 once I get him finished with completionist; less farming of specific quests, instead doing as many quests as I can to keep the repeat penalties down, then farm my destinies at 25 :/

Or maybe hitting 25 removes those repeat penalties... at the moment, though, I doubt it.
    Last edited by WolfHealr; 07-01-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    General mischief maker and trap spring... I mean... disarmer. No really! I swear I had no idea that trap was there!

No problem, you just woke up - no coffee yet :P GET IN GAME NAO!

I think that's going to change how I level my main to 25 once I get him finished with completionist; less farming of specific quests, instead doing as many quests as I can to keep the repeat penalties down, then farm my destinies at 25 :/

Or maybe hitting 25 removes those repeat penalties... at the moment, though, I doubt it.
    Challenges to 25 then first time bonus every time? Lol, not sure if that would work but the lack of repeat penalty may be something for me to shoot for now. Think I'm about 250k from cap.

No getting in game, must drive soon...obligations and such.
    Last edited by furbyoats; 07-01-2012 at 07:56 AM. Reason: typo
    Ascent

AFAIK, when you cap and take 25, the repetition counter for quests stops, so further repeats of the quest won't suffer from further decreased xp - but you still have the penalty for however many times you repeated that quest. Staying at 23 will eventually mean you're running quests at their xp minimums, since leveling all the destinies to cap on one toon in one life is going to take something like 18.9 million xp (until they add more).

When you get enough XP for 25, the repetition counters stop.
    My FvS has enough XP to level to 25 since wednesday. Still 23. Grinding destinies. Trust me, if my repetition counters increased, I'd know it

Level 23 is the best level to farm destinies, unless you walk through epic elites.
    Last edited by -Zephyr-; 07-01-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by -Zephyr- View Post
    When you get enough XP for 25, the repetition counters stop.
    My FvS has enough XP to level to 25 since wednesday. Still 23. Grinding destinies. Trust me, if my repetition counters increased, I'd know it

Level 23 is the best level to farm destinies, unless you walk through epic elites.
    Awesome! Good to know, thanks much for the info