Default Twist of Fate- explanation?

No matter how many times I read the Wiki entry on Twists, I cannot figure them out. Maybe it's the way it's worded there.

So what the heck does this mean: "If the enhancement you put into a twist of fate has many level, the level of the enhancement will be the level when you equip it into the twist of fate."????? Wow- what a convoluted sentence that is! I feel it's important to understand this statement, as the next one is: "Therefore it is advised to always level up an enhancement to the maximum possible before puting it into a twist of fate slot".

And what does this mean: "Note that enhancement level has nothing to do with tier ; and putting a tier 1 level 5 enhancement into a twist of fate doesn't require you to upgrade the slot"?

My sense is that you can max out an enhancement, but you don't have to spend additional fate points above what you would if you had just put that enhancement into the slot at its base level. For example, if I were to Twist the Tier 1 Primal Scream from the Fury of the Wild ED, I could do it if that enhancement is at level 1 (1AP invested) or level 3 (3AP invested) for the same cost. If this is in fact true, why is it "advised to always level up an enhancement to the maximum possible before puting it into a twist of fate slot"? I thought you could reset the twists and change them around at will, so you could test things out. After all, it says right there: "Twists of Fate can also be "reset". "

So Fate Points are only used to upgrade a slot to higher tiers, not upgrade the Enhancement? And the maximum tier you can Twist an enhancement from non-active Destinies is tier 4?

So last question: Why does the Ranger ED have only ranged combat benefits? What the heck is a Tempest supposed to do? The Barb one may be OK for some extra HP, but I don't see much use of either EDs available to a Tempest Ranger. This thing in the store- will it allow me to start as a Legendary Dreadnaught right off the bat instead? What I'd *really* like to do is level the Dreadnaught and Shadowdancer EDs. Just wondering the easiest way to do that.

Thanks

Community Member

If the enhancement you put into a twist of fate has many levels, the level of the enhancement will be the level when you equip it into the twist of fate.
    This is talking about enhancements that have a fraction up in the corner, such as Dragonhide. These enhancements have several levels, so you can "purchase" them multiple times. Think of them like Racial Toughness I/II/III/IV: It's one enhancement, but it can be bought more than once.

That being the case, if you twist an enhancement that has several levels, but you haven't maxed out the benefit (for example, the fraction reads 1/3 or 2/3), investing more points in the enhancement won't increase its level as a "Twist of Fate" benefit.

Note that enhancement level has nothing to do with tier, and putting a tier 1 level 5 enhancement into a twist of fate doesn't require you to upgrade the slot.
    This is distinguishing between tier of an enhancement (the row it's in on the UI, counting from bottom to top) and the number of times you've invested in it. In effect, this means whether you've invested in the enhancement once or five times, it doesn't change the tier it belongs to. So a tier 2 enhancement (that is, an enhancement on the second row of UI, ignoring the automatic benefits row) will always require a Twist of Fate slot which is open to enhacements of tier 2 or higher, tier 3 a tier 3 Twist of Fate slot, tier 4 a tier 4 slot, etc.

As for the reason it's advised one not invest in a Twist of Fate, I believe it's because the "reset" you mentioned isn't free.
    The threadkiller has spoken.

Community Member

1) So what the heck does this mean: "If the enhancement you put into a twist of fate has many level, the level of the enhancement will be the level when you equip it into the twist of fate."????? Wow- what a convoluted sentence that is! I feel it's important to understand this statement, as the next one is: "Therefore it is advised to always level up an enhancement to the maximum possible before puting it into a twist of fate slot".

-- seems easier to explain by example, and leveling the Shadowdancer tree currently my examples will be taken from there ---

Since I have the Tier 1 enhancements 'Stealthy' and 'Technician' both leveled up 3 times (maxed); what that is saying is that if/when i change my destiny to Fatesinger, for example, I can put either into the Twist of Fate slot and it will still be a level 3 'Stealthy' or level 3 'Technician' instead of reverting back to the level 1 version of either

2) And what does this mean: "Note that enhancement level has nothing to do with tier ; and putting a tier 1 level 5 enhancement into a twist of fate doesn't require you to upgrade the slot"?

*note above* It means, when I put either of my level 3 tier 1 enhancements into the Twist of Fate, I can do so in a Tier one slot instead of having to level up the tier of the Fate slot to do so ... costs nothing extra ...

3) So Fate Points are only used to upgrade a slot to higher tiers, not upgrade the Enhancement?

correct ... almost ... to buy extra fate slots or upgrade existing ones

4) And the maximum tier you can Twist an enhancement from non-active Destinies is tier 4?

correct

5) So last question: Why does the Ranger ED have only ranged combat benefits? What the heck is a Tempest supposed to do?

progress to a destiny you prefer ... legendary dreadnought or shadowdancer might be fun anyways ... opening them up grants you extra fate points to spend and add extra twists anyways ...

hope this helped and enjoy leveling your destiny
    Last edited by xiansheng; 07-13-2012 at 11:59 PM.

lets say you've got a bard with a 2 level rogue splash, and you start in the fate singer destiny.

as you're leveling up in the fate singer destiny you notice you've unlocked the magister destiny.

you notice that the magister destiny has an enhancement that boosts your refelex save by 2/4/6

you think it'd be really nice.

so you make the magister destiny your active destiny at the fate spinner, advance 3 ranks in that reflex save line.
    you then drag the reflex save enhancement into your twist of fate box.

then you switch back to fate singer.

you now keep that magister reflex save enhancement as well as everything you've unlocked within the fate spinner tree.

You can change your twists at the fate spinner it just seems to cost plat.

Quote Originally Posted by Desdemonte View Post
    So last question: Why does the Ranger ED have only ranged combat benefits? What the heck is a Tempest supposed to do? The Barb one may be OK for some extra HP, but I don't see much use of either EDs available to a Tempest Ranger. This thing in the store- will it allow me to start as a Legendary Dreadnaught right off the bat instead? What I'd *really* like to do is level the Dreadnaught and Shadowdancer EDs. Just wondering the easiest way to do that.
    Trust me, I was sceptical at first about Fury of the wild, but it really improves damage, survivability and fun in playing a ranger; personally I took Primal Scream (3/3), the Fast Healing (3/3), Acute Instincts (3/3), Sense Weakness (3/3), Gird against Demons (2/2), Fury Eternal and Unbridled Fury.