Talking The trap box killed me

So I was doing "Redfang the Unruled" on elite this week and I, along with another party member, got killed by the trap box when I rolled a critical failure. That's never happened to me before!

Please devs, cut us trappers a little slack. I was just a squishy lvl 3 artificer. Elite traps should be deadly, but this was just the *trap box*.

Talking

Obviously the trapbox disagrees and thinks its as important as the trap. Otherwise, it wouldnt have gone KABOOM!
    Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I think the problem is that, as an inexperienced trapper, you used far to much C4 to disable the trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Izumar View Post
    There's that moment when you learn not to stand next to the guy doing the trap. For your group mate it was this moment.

I think the problem is that, as an inexperienced trapper, you used far to much C4 to disable the trap.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by HatsuharuZ View Post
    ....., but this was just the *trap box*.

While DDO certainly isn't strictly a true depiction of reality, you have to think that even in a fantasy setting if you start tinkering around in a deadly trap, you are probably getting intimate with the inner parts, blades, explosives, etc.

That said I think the trap box is mostly symbolic in nature. I don't think it's far-fetched to say you were killed in the very trap you were trying to disable, not by a conveniently placed control panel that every trap must have. The disable roll is just a simulation of your attempt to play in the trap.

So I was doing "Redfang the Unruled" on elite this week and I, along with another party member, got killed by the trap box when I rolled a critical failure. That's never happened to me before!

Please devs, cut us trappers a little slack. I was just a squishy lvl 3 artificer. Elite traps should be deadly, but this was just the *trap box*.
    My latest Arti does that a lot less.

Maybe the 2 level splash of rogue is helping!
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Quote Originally Posted by Arius View Post
    While DDO certainly isn't strictly a true depiction of reality, you have to think that even in a fantasy setting if you start tinkering around in a deadly trap, you are probably getting intimate with the inner parts, blades, explosives, etc.

That said I think the trap box is mostly symbolic in nature. I don't think it's far-fetched to say you were killed in the very trap you were trying to disable, not by a conveniently placed control panel that every trap must have. The disable roll is just a simulation of your attempt to play in the trap.
    Amusingly, it was a poison trap, and I got insta-killed by fire damage :P

Community Member

Now that you know that this can happen, be wary of any divines you group with -- some are known to keep a finger on their Cometfall key to play with unsuspecting trappers.

This.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Hmmm...

If you're worried about the box going boom, perhaps get protection from fire (as well as having resistance) before tinkering.

Of course, there's no substitute for the no-crit-fail disable with max ranks and gear for level, fox pots if they help at the low level, heroism/GH, skill boosts and a bard singing sweet melodies of inspiration... to get that extra 15% XP
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Community Member

There's that moment when you learn not to stand next to the guy doing the trap. For your group mate it was this moment.

Talking

These made me giggle so hard i absolutly HAD to add them to my siggy

Old School trapper:

When working on a trap box watch the slider, when its about 70% of the way to complete press shift+s (tumble back) the trap will either explode or open but you will be far back enough to avoid negative results

Takes a little practice to get the timing right but looks cool and has saved my hide more than once.

Sidenote: do not attempt this when tumbling away will take you through the trap effects (VON5 spinning blades for eg) the box will do less damage than the trap effect.

Happy Hunting.
    -Stealth RULEZ- A compilation -Favor 101- "How-to" unlock the game -Boycott the changes- combat changes stink
    You say you want your $$ back, i d g a f about the $$. I want my GAME back..

death happens.

Death (by trap) usually gets attracted from low hp toons (e.g. no toughness), toons without evasion, toons with level < dungeon level, toons without maxed skill points + maxed trap gear at level, toons without any buffs. As I can learn from your description at least 2 of those attributes apply to your character.

my personal opinion is that traps are fine as they are. no more easy buttons on highest difficulty (elite in that case). And after all, if your toon has same level as dungeon level, and you got maxed trap skill points and maxed trap gear for that level, almost every trap in the game can be disabled with a zero chance of critical fail.
    Last edited by lhidda; 06-29-2012 at 02:20 AM.

I doubt this is WAI. Unless you have a wounded, squishy toon, trap box explosion should not be fatal - at least, not more dangerous than the trap itself. The most annoying aspect of a critical failure at disabling is that you can't try again.

And of course the trap is still up.

Traps are supposed to kill, not Control Boxes. Or dungeon designers have become a lot more naughty recently.
    Make Crafting Tab Bound to Account to solve Cannith Crafting issues! Please /sign the idea here !
    "It's better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Eric Wujcik

Community Member

Yesterday I run with my arti the Graverobber quest on normal. The one that has the sonic traps on the stairs and the box is down the stairs so you have to twitch through the traps to get to the box. I got down ok and tried to disable the trap just for the kicks - disabled ok but still the box exploded. I was so surprised as i have never seen this before. It is possible that I have not critfailed any disable attempts yet and thus I never experienced this so far.

Anyway I was amused that the trap boxes can explode and I will be more careful the next time

I forget which house to go to, but house Jarasco and house Phiarlan both have potion vendors that can get you some higher skills to help avoid said fate in the future. A foxes cunning potion gives +4 to intelligence and therefore +2 to search and disable, and a heroism potion gives among other things +2 to all skills. Those are both things you can do yourself to be better prepared to disable traps, and I highly recommend them.

In addition if you can acquire a +5 weapon you can go to the trap making device in the harbor and use it to make +5 thieves tools, these will give a large boost to your disabling endeavors.

If you are still unable to gain the necessary skill to disable traps, a potion of bears endurance will give you more HP, a bracers of aid clicky, gained from a korthos quest, will also give more HP. Cure light wounds potions can ensure you are at full health before you attempt.

To further protect yourself you can acquire (again I forget where) potions of resist energy: fire, and maybe even potions of protection from energy: fire. These two effects stack and can save you from a decent amount of fire damage.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Community Member

From what i read in other threads elite traps are buggy
    and 10lvl higher then they should be.

well i have nothing against a little harder traps but 10lvl is a bit to much

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzaroo View Post
    These made me giggle so hard i absolutly HAD to add them to my siggy
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwaters View Post
    Old School trapper:

When working on a trap box watch the slider, when its about 70% of the way to complete press shift+s (tumble back) the trap will either explode or open but you will be far back enough to avoid negative results

Takes a little practice to get the timing right but looks cool and has saved my hide more than once.

Sidenote: do not attempt this when tumbling away will take you through the trap effects (VON5 spinning blades for eg) the box will do less damage than the trap effect.

Happy Hunting.
    Seriously? You're thinking about this too much. You really shouldn't ever be in a situation where you could blow a box. I get it happens sometimes but if you're not doing everything you can to avoid box explosions (IE, have some idea of the average trap DC in the dungeon you are going into and make sure you have enough DD), you should really let someone else get the trap. Unless of course you can't find anyone else, in which case please warn the party about your ability to disarm before hand.

I remember one time I forgot to re-equip my troubleshooter set & other buffs in Shan-To-Kor, after that frost trap with a ramp that goes down to a spike trap, I was down there huggin the wall because I knew it was safe and that's where the box was, and my party was following me... went to disarm, and *BOOM* killed myself and two teammates... heheheh didn't make that mistake again!

And I also learned to keep my distance from disarming rogues