Default Dear DDO: Treasure Manual

The proposed idea is to have a 'manual' (shared bank) for you account that 'holds' named equipment. Think of a treasure vault or display for your hard won loot.

Here's the rundown of the features:
    1. The manual would be accessible to all characters.
    2. The manual would hold ONLY named items (no randomly generated loot, no ingredients, etc).
    3. Characters could drop items into the manual or remove items from the manual.
    4. Items would be sorted out by the quest chain that they drop in.
    5. Items that have been customized (Fused/Upgraded/Bound) would not be able to be put in the manual. This is mostly for the purpose of keeping the list in the manual simple.
    6. Dropping multiples of the same would add an incremental count number in the manual. So you could have a cache of a few named items (i.e. two named shortswords) to transfer to another character.
    7. Only BtA or unbound items could be added. No BtC.

Here are the advantages:
    1. You can quickly see what you may be missing from a particular quest chain.
    2. This frees up alot of inventory management. No need to create mule characters to hold all the new loot.
    3. It's easy for any character to get at the vault and be able to pick up the item they want without having to log in/log out on a bunch of alts to find the one that has the item.
    4. Shared bank space still remains viable for all other loot (which is fairly vast).
    5. Since the manual is essentially a reference to loot tables, there is no need to maintain a 'copy' of the item in the database. This could free up some space/processing time in game by not having a bank/inventory full of copys.

Possible disadvantages:
    1. Hoarding of items (not sharing out in quests). I suspect that would drop off quickly though as people build out their Treasure Manual on their account. Especially if there is no reward for having multiples of a single item in the manual.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I love the idea... It was suggested month ago in the French subforum as a collector book for named items.

I have only a few qualms about point 6 of the features.
    I'm not for dropping multiple instances of the same item into the collector, just keep it with only one item.
    And depending on how it's implemented ( at character or account level, see below for expansion ) point 7 might be moot and BtC items could also be put in it.
    Also remember that there's named items that are not linked to a given chain ( Pearl of Power of example ) they also have to be taken into account.

Expansion on the implementation :

there's two way to see that collector
    - one collector per account, available to all the characters of the account and shared between them.
    In that case you definitely not want BtC items in it. Unless there's a strict check on who's trying to pull the item
    out. ( and we all know that tinkering with BtC/BtA system is the best way to break it )
    - one collector per character, available only to that character. In that case, as the collector is for a given character BtC items can be put into it.

Now the most elegant way would be to use both : the account wide collector for the names ( BtA/ unbound ) items and the character only collector for the BtC ones.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    I love the idea... It was suggested month ago in the French subforum as a collector book for named items.

I have only a few qualms about point 6 of the features.
    I'm not for dropping multiple instances of the same item into the collector, just keep it with only one item.
    And depending on how it's implemented ( at character or account level, see below for expansion ) point 7 might be moot and BtC items could also be put in it.
    Also remember that there's named items that are not linked to a given chain ( Pearl of Power of example ) they also have to be taken into account.

Expansion on the implementation :

there's two way to see that collector
    - one collector per account, available to all the characters of the account and shared between them.
    In that case you definitely not want BtC items in it. Unless there's a strict check on who's trying to pull the item
    out. ( and we all know that tinkering with BtC/BtA system is the best way to break it )
    - one collector per character, available only to that character. In that case, as the collector is for a given character BtC items can be put into it.

Now the most elegant way would be to use both : the account wide collector for the names ( BtA/ unbound ) items and the character only collector for the BtC ones.
    Having both (one for account and one for character) would be nice, but maybe too much for devs to tackle at once. There aren't actually a ton of BtC items in game, and most of those are in high level content (except for eternal wands). So there's less of a return on investment there.

The main reason I wanted to keep it BtA items was so that the collection could be used as a means to trade items between characters without having to use the shared bank. If character A puts an item into the collection then character B can then pull that item from the collection. That's also why I wanted to use multiples (with the exception of Exclusive items). There will always be situations where you want a character to dual wield something, or that an item is good enough to have on multiple of your alts. In that case, it saves some frustration of having to jump back and forth between characters to move items in one at a time. There could always be a reasonable cap set on how many multiples could be stored (say 10?).

I am having trouble seeing how this is different then a standard shared bank.

At it's core, all you have suggesting is a Shared Bank for Named items.

While I admit, more space in the Shared Bank is always good, which is why I wish they added in more bank slots to the shared, 60 is sooooo not enough, 100 would be much better, going up to 200 would be awesome!

However, if it takes some "Name Only" shared bank to get 60 more spaces, sign me up, if that is how I gotta get the space, I'll go for it.

I would pay a few bucks for the service described. It would ease some of my inventory woes.
    Occasionally playing on Cannith

Llyren, Kelda and some others.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Sounds to me just like a 2nd Shared Bank with limited items you can put into it.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Would love to have a collection book, I have 13 toons 9 of which are "bank" toons from lvl 4-13.. I hate having to throw away a named item even if it isn't useful for any of my main toons to make room for an item that is useful for TRing, or might be useful for a toon I have in my head..
    Where am I and why am I in this hand basket.
    Main Server: Orien
    Main Toons: Gaarn lvl20 (4th life PM wizard) Broken on MyDDO | Jeran lvl20 (18 rang/1 monk/1 rog)

Still as I see it, it's is either inventory space, or Shared Bank Space. Not that more of each and perhaps both is a bad thing, in fact I would love to have more of each, but I am still trying to get an idea of how this is special.

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Still as I see it, it's is either inventory space, or Shared Bank Space. Not that more of each and perhaps both is a bad thing, in fact I would love to have more of each, but I am still trying to get an idea of how this is special.
    I think they mean it to be special by having it be a sidebar option.
    Not must leave quest like bank space.
    Nor instant like bag space.
    Also, it sorts itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lleren View Post
    I think they mean it to be special by having it be a sidebar option.
    Not must leave quest like bank space.
    Nor instant like bag space.
    Also, it sorts itself.
    You guessed right on part of it. Having this accessible without needing to visit a bank is definitely part of the appeal. But make it accessible only in public areas (to keep balance in quests).

Now a few other comments on why this is different than shard bank space:
    1. It's a matter of feeding collectors/completionists drive to collect named items. Having them in an organized and sorted format lets you 'check off' on your collection.
    2. I didn't want to throw it out there in the original post because its really more of a phase 2 step, but collecting all of the items for a quest chain could give you a bonus XP boost. It could be called something like 'Treasure Hunter' and would work similar to Slayer or Explorer in explorer areas.

Quote Originally Posted by valarx View Post
    You guessed right on part of it. Having this accessible without needing to visit a bank is definitely part of the appeal. But make it accessible only in public areas (to keep balance in quests).

Now a few other comments on why this is different than shard bank space:
    1. It's a matter of feeding collectors/completionists drive to collect named items. Having them in an organized and sorted format lets you 'check off' on your collection.
    2. I didn't want to throw it out there in the original post because its really more of a phase 2 step, but collecting all of the items for a quest chain could give you a bonus XP boost. It could be called something like 'Treasure Hunter' and would work similar to Slayer or Explorer in explorer areas.
    But if it isn't accessible in quests, at least in read format, then how would I check it to see if I already have that bound to account item?

Wouldn't it be easier to add a store-bought item that summoned a banker (in quests and wilderness areas) that lets you retrieve and add items for 5 minutes?
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Community Member

I can see the appeal - one thing that always bummed me out about grinding for gear was the next big thing - after spending days and weeks and months grinding out the same chain and quests for a particular set or drop(s) only to wear them for as long as it takes to get the next big thing and then discard them always seemed wasteful and disrespectful to the effort it took to get the stuff to begin with. To have an extra set of slots devoted to this gear to show case or hold for an upcoming alt that didn't take away space from the regular leveling/crafting/collectibles stuff is welcomed by me.

Its not such a big deal in DDO - but in LotRO where the armor sets are 6 or 7 pieces that you have to grind out individually - I often wished that we could display our old sets in our house or guild house instead of just replacing them and discarding them.

As a completionist and a collector - I hold on to stuff for as long as I can - and it pains me to trash an item that represents an incredible amount of time effort and dedication to make space for a new shiny carrot.

I dont think that these spaces should be made available in quests or anywhere besides the bank and possibly on guild ships (not sure about guild ships though - my guild isnt able to buy a ship yet and I have never been invited to one so I dont really know how the work in DDO)

any way sounds mostly like a good idea even if it is just extra bank space - /signed

MacR

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

I just thought about it :

To make it more appealing to those that fear it will give wayy too much more bank room and the ability to transfer items from one character to the other.

Restrict the number of withdrawal per week to 1 or 2 item(s) for a given character.

If it's for outfitting a character, there's always the shared bank to swap things around.
    If it's to pick up an item that's going to be useful it can be done.
    If it's to mule things from a character to another... it's going to take ages.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

I mentioned this in the past as a character reliquary. For those concerned about too much bank space, the advent of crafting etc. will probably consume the bank space covered after everything would shift over.

Ideas like this are designed to address the linear scaling of new fancy items to available bank space.

For players with a live today attitude, they probably don't use much bank space etc. For the account for tomorrow people that run numerous characters they have probably been sitting at max shared bank, max character bank, and a quite full TR cache to account for twink gear, epic gear, incidentals, and the extra stuff that accumulates such as planar shards, portal shards, non-vendor scrolls like ddoor, etc.

This would address a way to alleviate the space burden in a way that scales with updates. New update, new buckets in the collector/treasure manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lleren View Post
    But if it isn't accessible in quests, at least in read format, then how would I check it to see if I already have that bound to account item?
    When I said it isn't accessible in quests, I meant that you can't add/remove from it, not that you can't pull it up to see it.

Think of it like Epic Destinies. You can change your Epic Destiny or Twist of Fate in a public area, but not in a quest. In a quest, you can still pull it up to look at it though.

Quote Originally Posted by GoRinNoSho View Post
    I mentioned this in the past as a character reliquary. For those concerned about too much bank space, the advent of crafting etc. will probably consume the bank space covered after everything would shift over.

Ideas like this are designed to address the linear scaling of new fancy items to available bank space.

For players with a live today attitude, they probably don't use much bank space etc. For the account for tomorrow people that run numerous characters they have probably been sitting at max shared bank, max character bank, and a quite full TR cache to account for twink gear, epic gear, incidentals, and the extra stuff that accumulates such as planar shards, portal shards, non-vendor scrolls like ddoor, etc.

This would address a way to alleviate the space burden in a way that scales with updates. New update, new buckets in the collector/treasure manual.
    Thank you for pointing this out. And yes, that would be a definite advantage.

One of the problems isn't just gear, but it is also all of the collectible/event items that end up taking up space, like you mentioned.

And for TR characters, this is a huge boon. Once you've gotten to the right level to use the next best thing, you archive your old named gear. When you reincarnate into your next life, it's there waiting for you to help you through those levels again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flavilandile View Post
    I just thought about it :

To make it more appealing to those that fear it will give wayy too much more bank room and the ability to transfer items from one character to the other.

Restrict the number of withdrawal per week to 1 or 2 item(s) for a given character.

If it's for outfitting a character, there's always the shared bank to swap things around.
    If it's to pick up an item that's going to be useful it can be done.
    If it's to mule things from a character to another... it's going to take ages.
    Currently people are able to achieve way too much bank room and the ability to transfer by using character mules and the shard bank space. It's just painful as it requires using character slots and alot of logging in/logging out to check different mules. I'd rather see character slots freed up for characters that people actually want to play.