Community Member

Post Server Assessment 2012 - Picking Your Server

Being a returning player, I was wondering which server I should choose.

To have everything in one place, let's start with an overview of the servers offered at login (with links to their forums here):

Unfortunately, there is really little current help to be found regarding server selection, so here goes what I did find so far:

I did find a guild list in the compendium: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Category:All_Guild_Types that lists guilds by type (I have no clue how current or complete it is) so this may be a starting point to look for guilds who's description you like and then choose the server accordingly.

A Guide To The Servers Redux - Server description from *2007* after the server merge in the "old" for-pay DDO.

What defines your server? - This is the most recent info I could find on the forums, it's from 2010 (when the dedicated European servers where shut down and moved over into the US servers), and it tried to gather some opinions on the then existing servers (Wayfinder is missing obviously). I'll full quote the relevant posting here, all kudos goes to jortann for getting some guidance together:

(read on below the quote)

Quote Originally Posted by jortann View Post
    I haven't been playing all that long and haven't played on all servers but I was noticing that there are some differences. For instance Thelanis seems to have a lot of Elite players, Sarlona has a lot of nice people and Orien has a lot of Newbs.

So how would you describe the server or servers you play on?

EDIT: Added Midway results to this post....

MIDWAY RESULTS
    I just thought I would take a moment to sum up everyone’s thoughts to this point…. Maybe tomorrow I will post a new thread with some 'definitive' results. Also I added some quotes which seemed to best define the servers.

Sarlona
    Nice, fun, good players who like to have a good time

Orien
    Full of Ubers, Newbs and Noobs

Ghallanda
    Casual, Worldwide, not much PUGing and the there is noob/vet segregation. (Ok we definately need more here... I have no idea what Ghallanda is like. Someone step up and let us know....please?)

Khyber
    Serious, Full of Drama, Uber everything – noobs and vets

Thelanis
    Elitists, The best, toughest and smartest

Cannith
    Secretive and crazy

Argonessen
    I can't say it any better than this quote...

Not too late to share what it is that defines your server. Final results posted... maybe tomorow KEEP SHARING!
    Strangely to me, Turbine seems to be of zero help regarding server selection as no statistics whatsoever seem to be available, and the one page I found is void of information.

While the casualness, eliteness, noobness, roughness, ... of each server might be subjective, what certainly would help would be logon statistics so that one at least could see which servers are active during the times one is able to play. Or which servers have a large European user base, which will of course affect peak times etc.

I'm not asking for something like eve offline but really Turbine, some information as to server load would really be helpful to new players I think!

Feel free to share any info (or opinions, if you must )!

cheers,
    - btb -

Addendum:

Some interesting numbers in this reply: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...05&postcount=6
    Last edited by bilbothebaggins; 06-29-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot of information available on server populations. I ran a graph of the number of guilded characters on each server based on information from my.ddo.com here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=373797 . It's not exactly helpful for working out which server is best in which time zone though.

I guess somebody could look at renown gains to see which time zones each server is most active in. That would be a lot of work though...

It depends where you play from, I know Thelanis pretty much ALWAYS has players with PUGS up at all times. With me being from the UK I usually play really late to keep up with the US, but even when its daytime hours for me there are still a lot of EU players there too.
    Starfly 12 Fighter/ 6 Ranger/ 2 Monk
    Tazion 17 Favored Soul
    Arksong 17 Spellsinger

Thelanis = Elitist isn't very fitting. There are a lot of guilds that play on a high level, but others servers have those too. If I got the info right Thelanis is the second most populated server and has a lot of players form the old EU severs. Thelanis has a lot of LFMs starting around 6pm GMT until around 3am GMT, at least on weekends. Personally I suffer horible lag form time to time but I can't tell if that is because of the many players or because I log on form the other side of the big pond. (Or something completly different.)
    BowHealer - The "Healer with legendary CC"-project: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...h-legendary-CC
    The Dungeons and Dragons Webcomic THE ORDER OF THE STICK BY RICH BURLEW
    http://www.giantitp.com/comics/ootscast.html

Community Member

from what ive seen on my 1k Favor Tour

Argonessen
    lots of player

Orien
    Seems like the place for Asians to hang out, 50% of lfm are unreadable for me but just give em a tell and most will allow u in grp even when communication isnt an option

Wayfinder
    not much player but very helpfull people, idsay 70% english speaking or even more, mostly people who want to relax and do some flowersniffing

Khyber
    Cannith
    Thelanis
    Sarlona
    Ghallanda

medium density of players on the rest of them ( i know one of the last servers is also high population but cant remember which)

hope it helps

Community Member UnderwearModel's Avatar

Default my 0.00001 worth

All servers have many english speaking players

Five original servers after the server merge
    Thelanis
    Khyber
    Ghallanda
    Sarlona
    Argonesson

When F2P started in 2009
    Cannith

Due to the demand at the time
    Orien was added in 2010

Sometime in 2011?
    Wayfinder was added for the German players

Sarlona has many Chinese players

Ghallanda has many Korean players

Cannith has many Brazilian players

Ghallanda has french speaking players(France and Canada)

Least populated Server = Wayfinder also less lag here
    Most populated server = Thelanis or Cannith

Approximate Population from the Top 30 guilds
    Argonesson = 8,000 characters
    Cannith = 8,000 characters
    Ghallanda = 8,200 characters
    Khyber = 7,300 characters
    Orien = 6,600 characters
    Sarlona = 7,900 characters
    Thelanis = 9,500 characters
    Wayfinder = 2,010 characters

Approximate characters in ALL guilds on each server

Argonesson
    Officers = 14,995
    Members = 10,739

Cannith
    Officers = 11,404
    Members = 10,806

Ghallanda
    Officers = 21,158
    Members = 9.964

Khyber
    Officers = 20,041
    Members = 11,032

Orien
    Officers = 11,467
    Members = 8,514

Sarlona
    Officers = 18,201
    Members = 10,726

Thelanis
    Officers = 20,816
    Members = 13,078

Wayfinder
    Officers = 1,274
    Members = 1,161
    Last edited by UnderwearModel; 06-28-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Monster AI tends to be a limitation of the engine - smart AIs cause more server lag. Boy am I going to get quoted on that or what.
    I survived the scary events in 2009, 2010, and 2011. 2011 did not reward those that played by the rules.

Yeah I think Thelanis isn't as elitist as that guide makes out. I've always found it pretty friendly and busy when I'm on (8-11pm GMT).

Quote Originally Posted by bilbothebaggins View Post
    Unfortunately, there is really little current help to be found regarding server selection, so here goes what I did find so far:

Strangely to me, Turbine seems to be of zero help regarding server selection as no statistics whatsoever seem to be available, and the one page I found is void of information.

While the casualness, eliteness, noobness, roughness, ... of each server might be subjective, what certainly would help would be logon statistics so that one at least could see which servers are active during the times one is able to play. Or which servers have a large European user base, which will of course affect peak times etc.

I'm not asking for something like eve offline but really Turbine, some information as to server load would really be helpful to new players I think!

Feel free to share any info (or opinions, if you must )!

cheers,
    - btb -
    Khyber is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by UnderwearModel View Post
    Cannith has many Brazilian players
    Brazilians are like the plage. If one touch your server, it get infested in no time. There are tons of brazilians in all servers. Some just hide better than the others.

Said that, I play only on Sarlona. Since the people here is nice, educated, funny, and have less drama and doom (I noticed this when I played on Lamma), I never found any necessity to even try another server.

No, my opinion isn't biased at all.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

Thelanis is not exactly elitist, but its not quite casual either. I've played there for a long time and I'd say its more high level than most. It is difficult at times to find any PUG's past level 4 until you get to 10-12 ish. I'd say its more experience based. Not a first choice if your new. There are elitist players (met a few, didn't like 'em), but not a lot. Its a friendly server if you are on during peak hours, which tends to be 8-12pm pacific standard time (at least for me).

Sarlona is casual. Much different from Thelanis.

As an Ellitist on Thelanis, I say nay. Nay to noobs!

If you wish to join our little cliche server, please practice on the other servers first.

However, I'd caution against...."Hanging" with the rabble in Sarlona?

When you've proven yourself; submit a formal cover letter requesting your admittance to the thelanis section of these forums. Be sure to detail why you deserve to be a part of Thelanis' LFMs and clans.

We may then consider you for a position in Thelanis' populace.

If you receive our overall approval, you may then pay for a character transfer to Thelanis.

If these instructions are too... complicated for you... I have some friendly advice... If you can't enjoy the cakes of Thelanis, simply be satisfied with the stale breads and dirty waters of Cannith.

Ah, hah... hah.. ah, hah... *sniff* How long has it been since you've bathed by the way. I can smell your proletariat stench over my internet.

*Yyyyeck*
    Last edited by DynaTheCat; 02-15-2013 at 02:14 PM.

All these servers are yours except Cannith. Attempt no characters there.
    With apologies to Arthur C. Clarke.

Seriously, I play primarily on Cannith and have found most players to be friendly and coopertative. I'm in a great guild (Silver Legion, check out www.guildmedieval.com) I don't hang out in general chat anymore, but do notice LFM's at all levels. I would think all servers would catch a cross section of people unless you believe the rumors (Khyber is for drama) and then head to that server specifically to play the rumor. Since it's free to play, try them all out.
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good any more?

Proud handler of Baldric, Melkazar, Clant, Mulray, Tirimon, Mallon.
    Remember, if one of them falls off a cliff, it's actually my fault.

the plague in thelanis are the elitis players, or ppl who want you to play as they want, if not u get kicked/dismissed
    and then he/she gets squelched

i mean, i do it, but not the only one, happens often than a friend(at least in friend list rofl) asks me why the leader got squelched

99% of times the answer is "XXX is so pro that can solo it"

rofl
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Community Member

Default Numbers rather than opinions.

If you are a number cruncher rather than just looking for opinions go to the source. DDOracle.com. Will give you some semi worthless numbers to look over showing info on guilds, most common class, least common multi class, peak and weak server times, etc. Does this in a break down for all 8 servers.

However if you want opinions ask the buddies you play with what server they are on. If you don't have any buddies to play with yet then go alphabetically on each server until you hit 100 favor. Gives you some decent one time turbine point rewards and lets you get a feel for the game and a completely random chance of finding a group you would run with again.

Seriously? Thelanis has some of the nicest and most polite pugs you'll find.

Now, if you play on the weekends only, yah, you have the a-hole brigade running around from friday to Sunday; but during the week, I've not run into anything but helpful and courteous players.

No clue where the swipe at Thelanis is coming from... prolly those bastards on Khyber spreading lies and shenanigans.

I love Sarlona, its versitale and random full of pretty nice people its a nice mixture of different approaches and heck even cultures I have tried other servers and like them somewhat but sarlona is my home server.
    Kalari-Lost Legions resident Drunking Gaming Diva!
    Im not bad Im morally Obtuse...
    *Enter my Den..*/*Live RPG fun on Skype*

Quote Originally Posted by nibel View Post
    Brazilians are like the plage. If one touch your server, it get infested in no time. There are tons of brazilians in all servers. Some just hide better than the others.
    They haven't found me yet... *sneaks*
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Thelanis was merged in the early days with Xoriat and ... some other server I forgot about. Funny thing was they took the most RP heavy server Thelanis, and the most hard core power gamer server Xoriat and combined them (with that other server...)

Like the best steel that blend of players had a lot of staying power and the server remains popular and fun. I think has its elite reputation partly because the number of very long time players there is pretty high. So if anything its a little jaded.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

I recently started some characters on Thelanis knowing nothing about it except a certain Internet reviewer plays there. I've found the folk there to be far more friendly than the surly lot I deal with over on Khyber. I've also been invited to come try out the hospitality of a guild on Sarlona, which has me torn, because I really have made some friends on Thelanis even after only a week.

Sigtrent's post pretty much nails the history and makeup of Thelanis.

--------------------------------------
    History
    --------------------------------------
    Thelanis started as the unofficial RP server at launch. Which also attracted a number of alternative type guilds like the permadeath players. And, generically, across most MMO's - RP servers are going to have some of friendlier and more helpful players. Thelanis was also known for its player-driven events (Hide-n-seek, bard competitions, etc by Merlask, Music Man, and many others)

Xoriat was the unofficial power-gamer / end-game / raid server. Their guilds had a lot of game-firsts when it came to raids. And, like many raiding guilds - they had a reputation for elitism. Although some of it was also self-perpetuated - they liked having the "tough-guy / end-gamer / kicking-ass" reputation - it was also done in good humor and for the most part didn't cross over into the "ass-hat" range.

Tharask seem to mostly be guild-driven and kept to themselves. And so they are often forgotten because they weren't the most flamboyant of the 3.

I remember Merlask's thread after the merger, and she pretty much hit it dead on -
    Thelanians are a zany lot who welcome 'tourists' to their realm readily, and spend their days partying together. Tharashkians have long been hanging out together on their own private forums. Xoratians of course being the 'Sparta of DDO' are close knit and talkative with one another
    -------------------------
    Present
    -------------------------

If you're wanting a feel for how Thelanis is today - t

Te player events have for the most part dried up, and the zanieness has quieted down. Don't see many "must be drunk to raid" or "halfling dance party in the rust nail" posts on the LFM any more, or coordinated events on the forum. But, while a sad passing, is also typical for an older MMO.

The Role-Playing and Permadeath are still around, but fairly quiet. You don't stumble over groups of people RP'ing in the bogwater tavern or public places all that often anymore. Again, and expected result - you can only RP exploring waterworks so many times before you're just over it.

For the most part - people are still very friendly. General/Advice channels are typically quiet, but helpful when people do ask anything. PUGs are for the most part open to newer players as long as you can at least follow directions, even if you aren't "leet". And if you put up the LFM asking for others and saying you're new you'll get helpful players to join - even if not doing elite/bb missions.
    Thelanis, CureLite Bottling Co:
    Nen (Barb/Ranger, Founder) / Emeril (Cleric, Founder) / Kraxkit (Dex Ranger) /
    Klyde (DPS Barbarian) / Sojourne (Rogue, Trapsmith) / and many others