Community Member

Default Awesomium progress

I can't seem to find a thread concerning the progress you've made in correcting the multiple instances of awesomium.exe spawning when DDO launches. Is there a fix for this yet? Is it being worked on at all?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Razlin001 View Post
    I can't seem to find a thread concerning the progress you've made in correcting the multiple instances of awesomium.exe spawning when DDO launches. Is there a fix for this yet? Is it being worked on at all?
    I'd like to know this too.
    5 of them running is way too much and retarted.

Cmon turbine.

Quote Originally Posted by oppy View Post

Cmon turbine.
    Awesomium is a wrapper around Chrome.

Chrome creates a process for each tab (+2 extra processes)

This can be verified by opening Chrome and adding tabs.

Therefore Awesomium does also.

This is done to provide browser stability and prevent the impact of exploits, you can read more here.

Before Awesomium DDO used Mozilla.

During this period all "tabs" were embedded within the main processes, and shared the limited resource of the main process.

Separating the browser functionality into a separate process probably improved DDO's performance a bit also.

The processes that are created use very little CPU and a large portion of the memory allotted to them is shared dll's so it really has no extra cost in resources.

Here is an example of the impact of awesomium on my system:

As you can tell from the graphs, there is pretty much no impact except the one process that bumps up to about 3% usage and had about 400 bytes of network traffic every few seconds.

Do you think Chrome is "retarded" also?

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordax View Post

This is done to provide browser stability and prevent the impact of exploits, you can read more here.

During this period all "tabs" were embedded within the main processes, and shared the limited resource of the main process.

Separating the browser functionality into a separate process probably improved DDO's performance a bit also.

The processes that are created use very little CPU and a large portion of the memory allotted to them is shared dll's so it really has no extra cost in resources.

As you can tell from the graphs, there is pretty much no impact except the one process that bumps up to about 3% usage and had about 400 bytes of network traffic every few seconds.

I don't use chrome. Sorry!

would like a offical response here.
    thanks!

thanks!
    This isn't official or anything, but Vordax is mostly correct in his assertions. The Awesomium executable is an isolation wrapper for a customized fork of the Chromium engine. It's not Chrome the browser, but is based on the same render engine. Whether or not you use the Chrome browser is immaterial to its operation. The reasoning behind multiple instances is to separate each process into its own memory space. If one of them encounters a problem, that instance won't crash the whole game. If the Chromium library was statically compiled in the client code, thus eliminating the multiple Awesomium processes, any error or communications interruption would cause the game to stop responding. The solution is not ideal but better than the alternative.
    The newest computer can merely compound, at speed, the oldest problem in the relations between human beings, and in the end the communicator will be confronted with the old problem, of what to say and how to say it. - Edward R. Murrow (1964)

Community Member

(Image removed for brevity)

Chrome uses Aweful-omium? No wonder it sucks so much.

Cmon turbine.
    Just kill the processes after your toon is logged in. Remember that logging out to switch toon recreate the processes, so you have to kill them everytime. And don't forget you can't use the store after you killed them
    Cannith: Hazrael--Nyal--Thalax

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoRob View Post
    Chrome uses Aweful-omium? No wonder it sucks so much.
    You may actually may want to read what I wrote, you apparently need help interpreting it, so I will reiterate what I said.

Awesomium is a wrapper around chrome, i.e. Awesomium uses chrome.

What browser is better than Chrome?

IE? (just doesn't work very well, crappy interface, etc, etc)
    Firefox? (memory bloat and slow)
    Opera? (Really? seriously?)

Or are you are part of the Cult of Apple?

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

thanks!
    Regardless to whether you use Chrome or not, this is how it works and its better than the way it was before with mozilla embedded. I suspect you will not get a response and if you do it will be that it is WAI.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    This isn't official or anything, but Vordax is mostly correct in his assertions. The Awesomium executable is an isolation wrapper for a customized fork of the Chromium engine. It's not Chrome the browser, but is based on the same render engine. Whether or not you use the Chrome browser is immaterial to its operation. The reasoning behind multiple instances is to separate each process into its own memory space. If one of them encounters a problem, that instance won't crash the whole game. If the Chromium library was statically compiled in the client code, thus eliminating the multiple Awesomium processes, any error or communications interruption would cause the game to stop responding. The solution is not ideal but better than the alternative.
    I didn't really want to into the deep specifics of it, the unwashed masses don't particularly understand the details. Last job I had we needed to integrate a cross platform browser into our product and we looked at Awesomium, this was well before it was commercial product so it didn't fit our needs so I ended up integrating Chromium directly. Having to do it again now I would choose Awesomium over manual integration in a heart beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Razlin001 View Post
    None has been made.

Mostly correct. You are right on the wrapper bit, and I have no issue with that.

At first DDO used Mozilla, then it uses Chrome ( and chromium ) and at last it used an embeded version of awesomium. ( a DLL )

Then the people in Web developement for Turbine generated long long long long URLs for the Store ( come on in these days of ultra short urls they have to have missed something there ), and these long urls might have generated situations where the DLL crashed. Since the DDL is embeded in the game process, it crashed the game ( and the eventual store transaction ).
    That's why they moved to the external piece of ****.

Now It has been stated by the awesomium guys that one process should be enough. Not the 2+5 we have.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastianosmith View Post
    The reasoning behind multiple instances is to separate each process into its own memory space. If one of them encounters a problem, that instance won't crash the whole game. If the Chromium library was statically compiled in the client code, thus eliminating the multiple Awesomium processes, any error or communications interruption would cause the game to stop responding. The solution is not ideal but better than the alternative.
    They don't need that many instances.... who is going to open :
    - The Store from the Character Selection Screen
    - The Store from In Game
    - The old MyDDO Page
    - The Help Page
    - and one unidentified page ( sorry I have been unable to track that one )

At the same time. I have a lot of screen real estate, but I just can't open more than 3 of the above at the same time ( Store, MyDDO [ using the shortcut ] and Help ).
    So it shouldn't need more than 3 processes ( spawned at the time of opening the windows instead of always on ) at worst.

From what I have gathered, the spawn the processes that way so that they can prefetch pages... Consider that another nail in the game starter coffin ( and also another reason why the preloader is so good ).

Quote Originally Posted by pHo3nix View Post
    Just kill the processes after your toon is logged in. Remember that logging out to switch toon recreate the processes, so you have to kill them everytime. And don't forget you can't use the store after you killed them
    Remember that if you kill those processes you won't be able to use the store, or the in game support, or the bug report tool.
    If you don't intend to use any of the above, you can kill them safely.
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Community Member

You may actually may want to read what I wrote, you apparently need help interpreting it, so I will reiterate what I said.

Awesomium is a wrapper around chrome, i.e. Awesomium uses chrome.

What browser is better than Chrome?

IE? (just doesn't work very well, crappy interface, etc, etc)
    Firefox? (memory bloat and slow)
    Opera? (Really? seriously?)

Or are you are part of the Cult of Apple?
    *YOU* are the one who made the connection between Awesomium and Chrome, not me.

There are a few peroblems with your explanation anyway:

-- What tabs? There are no "tabs" in any of the psuedo-browsers in DDO that I am aware of.

--Why is it launching *ANY* processes when it is not being used?

--The fact that it uses more memory *WHEN NOT IN USE* than FireFox with multiple tabs is a bad thing.

--The small spikes of network activity *WHEN IT IS NOT IS USE* is a bad thing.

--Finally, since it preloads so many instances, why does it take so long to access the store - often causing my system to hang for a minute or more, and yes, sometimes crashing the game (Something I do not recall happening before Awesomium was injected.)

As for the browser wars:

IE isn't a browser. It is a downloader for your browser of choice.

Opera is very slightly better than IE. The only thing it has ever done fast is crash.

I download Chrome once or twice a year to see what's new. I always end up uninstalling it a few days later because it is slow, resource hungry, and prone to crashes. (It's cute how Google is trying to emulate MicroSoft by spreading out to things they just do not do well.)

Apples are for eating.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

thanks!
    The last official response (from both sides)...

Awesome : Turbine is doing it wrong. Only one process needed.

Turbine : Awesome does not support long path names. This results in Turbine in having to launch multiple processes to support the many functions.

Awesome : *much later admitted to an issue per bug fix release notes in a later update. However, I think it was a memory leak issue.*

Unknown if Turbine is using the later version or not at this stage, and even so the work required to see if it would work once again as a single(ish) process now.