Exclamation Shroud: New players on board

Firstly, please wait for everyone to finish shrining and looting in pt2 before opening the portal and stepping in. To my understanding this starts the timer, and the shorter time makes it harder to deal with unusual situations, for example:

• Player "A" says "AFK" the moment he steps into the puzzle room
    • Player DCs -> empty puzzle room
    • Player has ragequit due to newbies killing nameds in pt2 -> empty puzzle room
    • Player proceeds to run mindlessly over the 5x5 for 2 minutes before asking for help
    • The only character with lock opening ability has trouble with lock DC

These all happened recently. I've recently been in multiple Shrouds where we've seen the wall and/or wiped before pt5. On normal. (Queue comment regarding common factor in failed attempts: me).

While you may be confident in your own abilities and most pugs breeze through the raid, there are times when we get a combination of players and characters that require more patience. I suspect we have the Stone of Experience to thank for this, at least partly, because I think it has become more common recently.

Secondly, and this applies to all level 16+ quests. Please bear with me, the Pessimistic Guy, if I ask everyone to wait or I'm talking through quest mechanics. I'm definitely not a super player and my characters are mediocre, but the knowledge I do have I try to impart to others.

I'm not dictating to you or talking down to you, Mr. Veteran *cough*I'll do what I want*cough*. I'm trying to get possible newer players on board and to finish the quest. I'm not that great at assessing individual players or the group as a whole, so as often as not my pessimism is unwarranted and we complete in record time. Nevertheless I'd rather look silly than die in the wall.

Community Member

Hox's are getting interesting too! Half the team wipes on way to mission, puppys are being slaughtered, 300 HP tanks with solid fog clicky (3 uses!)..
    Necalli (spellsinger), Boofy (warchanter), Bowlcrusher (retired enchanter), Krunchface (barb), Tlilectic (Arti) - ITS HUGE SON (R.I.P.) - Cannith Server,

Ive been noticing that there is a correlation between how much bragging and gear linking occurs when the group is filling, and how horribly the raid will fail - if "bragging" and "horrible" can be measured quantitatively.

This is especially true for hound, which is not a gear check raid, but a communication and following directions check raid.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Ive been noticing that there is a correlation between how much bragging and gear linking occurs when the group is filling, and how horribly the raid will fail - if "bragging" and "horrible" can be measured quantitatively.

This is especially true for hound, which is not a gear check raid, but a communication and following directions check raid.
    THIS.
    YES THIS>
    Can I just re-say what you said and not give credit?
    Jeebus Cristo, when ppl start linking all their "harry beaters" and whatnot I usually lie and claim wife aggro just to leave before the horror begins =)
    Didnt there used to be SOME teamwork in raids, if not pug quests?
    Ive only been playing for abt 4 years but it seemed that some things used to go much more smoothly.
    The black sheep of the Coven Of Heroes and proud of it.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    I'm not dictating to you or talking down to you, Mr. Veteran *cough*I'll do what I want*cough*. I'm trying to get possible newer players on board and to finish the quest. I'm not that great at assessing individual players or the group as a whole, so as often as not my pessimism is unwarranted and we complete in record time. Nevertheless I'd rather look silly than die in the wall.
    Two people can do all of the puzzles if need be. Just shroud with someone you know. The fun part is zoning in to part 4 while everyone is playing with shards, buffing and jumping into the water to get sp back.

Save a devil pfffft - Harry has already half dead :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndrome View Post

Lol. This^^
    Proud guild gimp of SMA! Adults only. Bring beer. Pants optional.
    Banginurz/Kaypii/Slappinurz/Shagginurz/Spankinurz/Upinurz. Stay classy Argo.

I have done 4+ puzzles (usually both 5x5s) and ran 3+ waters in *every* shroud I've been in dating back at least 6 months.

Honestly, the hardest part in bad pugs is part2. The rest is quite easy no matter how hard they try to mess it up.

I don't mind new players. I do mind overly tentative players and bad players. If you aren't sure, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndrome View Post
    Two people can do all of the puzzles if need be. Just shroud with someone you know. The fun part is zoning in to part 4 while everyone is playing with shards, buffing and jumping into the water to get sp back.

Yeah but that works if you know who you are with. My point is lately pugs have been a complete lottery, and often players don't take this into account.

Also, why people need to use the water in pt3 when there is a shrine is a mystery to me. There isn't time to blow your sp and not be able to buff before shrining.

Community Member

My biggest pet peeve that wasn't really mentioned here is how alot of toons stand around at the water after solving their puzzles, instead of running a water back. upsetting.