Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Question Playing DDO using Tablet PC?

Given today's Tablet PC capabilities do you think it is possible? has it ever been tried before? it may depend on the UI settings set by the user?

Maybe play it on the new Microsoft Tablet or ExoPC or Galaxy, as long as it runs Windows OS and DirectX?

My reason for asking is I am in the market for a new PC, would like to get a Tablet but do not want to sacrifice my obsession with DDO. I may have to stick with a new Desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Talafar View Post
    Given today's Tablet PC capabilities do you think it is possible? has it ever been tried before? it may depend on the UI settings set by the user?

Maybe play it on the new Microsoft Tablet or ExoPC or Galaxy, as long as it runs Windows OS and DirectX?

My reason for asking is I am in the market for a new PC, would like to get a Tablet but do not want to sacrifice my obsession with DDO. I may have to stick with a new Desktop.
    1). Touch screen is not an option on DDO. I tried on my convertable laptop. No way via touch screen to select a distant mob or item reliably, but the UI (hotbars) seem accessible enough, if not for the smaller screen.

2). Did you see the announcement of the new Microsoft tablets today? The first is Arm processor based and priced to complete with iPad and will be available when Win8 RT is released, probably in October. This is not the one to get for DDO, as it only runs software written specifically for Arm and not Intel processors!

The second model is Intel based, so it will run anything running on your current setup. While the touchscreen will still be useless in DDO the two optional screen covers have keyboards built in. Also has USB 3.0 and "mini video". 10.6" screen, 64 and 128GB configs. Release just after Win8, also probably in Oct.

No real info on either yet, such as # of USB ports, Ram/Flash/SSD? sizes, Build in screen resolution is 1080i, who knows right now what the max is via the miniport. CPU speed is also unknown. Price is expected to compete with ultrabooks.

If you've got the time wait and see what the hardware specs turn out to be on this. For other apps you have the multitouch screen as well as a stylus. Typical Win8 boot-up on similar tablets is reported at < 2 seconds.
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices

Tablets are so small compared to laptops or desktops, why would you want to restrict your gaming experience so much?

Get yourself an Android tablet which can be had for less than $200 and grab yourself a "budget" laptop with a discrete video card. There's a few laptops out there for less than $500 with a discrete video card (Aspire 5560 comes to mind).

That's less budget than a full-on desktop will run you, and you get both things you want.

I've done it on my HP Touchpad using Splashtop and a bluetooth keyboard. It's playable, sort of - framerate is decent enough, controls are slightly laggy, and resolution is limited to 1024x768. It's neat to do as a trick to show people, but even if it was working 100% I'd rather play on a 24 inch 1080p monitor with a good keyboard and mouse any day.

Quote Originally Posted by xveganrox View Post
    It's neat to do as a trick to show people, but even if it was working 100% I'd rather play on a 24 inch 1080p monitor with a good keyboard and mouse any day.
    The only trick to that is figuring out how you fold the monitor down far enough to fit in the case! Every time I've tried, it breaks?!?!
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Community Member

I once remoted through 4 different computers and tried to play DDO. It was impossible, but an amusing story.

I have also tried playing it on my Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet using a remote desktop application(In this case Real VNC) and again, it was completely unplayable; but these are not helpful examples.

I am actually looking forward to the windows 8 tablets in the hopes of somewhat limited gaming on them. If I could just walk around, post on the AH, craft, etc, I'd be perfectly happy.

But I'm going to side with xveganrox and MsEricka and say get a full-on desktop/laptop if you actually want to seriously play. The BEST tablet-interface I've seen for a DDO-style game still wasn't very good. plus, its Windows 8, and it's going to follow the standard OS-progression and be terrible.

Community Member

I've been watching for a good tablet to come out with a real graphic card, instead of integrated graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Default Patience padawan

I recently got my tax return and decided to buy a new laptop since mines getting a bit old and buggy, but I walked out of the store with a new tablet instead.
    Why?

A tablet has a lot of apps that can import/ export back and forth between each other to make a decentralized actual good piece of flexible and powerful software overall: before it even goes through my computer pipeline and back via wifi, USB or email.
    I have a lot of awesome software on my computer that I should be using exclusively, but the fact that ddo also (mostly) works on it is tempting enough to distract me.

A tablet can be taken anywhere. Do you really want to pug on a tram/bus/etc with random crazy people/inquisitive public screetching at you?

I'd recommend the tablet because it's the only way you're ever going to finish that project you've been working on/send those emails/ watch that movie etc.

Your computer has too many choices. The strongest conquers all!!
    I'm not in denial although I am but I'm not.

Community Member

Default Tablets

I have an EXOPC Tablet with a Bluetooth Keyboard, Bluetooth Mouse, and Bluetooth to my 24in LCD Monitor. I can also use USB connections to these peripherals. This solves the touchscreen and small monitor issues. I agree DDO with touchscreen and remote access is not going to work.

Just wondering do any of you think any of today's Tablets have the CPU speed, RAM, Graphics Card and other specs to handle DDO? what about your thoughts on any upcomong Tablet releases as they relate to DDO?

Community Member

Default necroing this thread

Has anyone tried this now that tablets have been out for a year or so?

I have an EXOPC Tablet with a Bluetooth Keyboard, Bluetooth Mouse, and Bluetooth to my 24in LCD Monitor. I can also use USB connections to these peripherals. This solves the touchscreen and small monitor issues. I agree DDO with touchscreen and remote access is not going to work.

Just wondering do any of you think any of today's Tablets have the CPU speed, RAM, Graphics Card and other specs to handle DDO? what about your thoughts on any upcomong Tablet releases as they relate to DDO?

Is their a dedicated card in there? How many gigs to overcome to massive oil spill that that game recreates through leaks? Can the cpu hold on load or will it freeze up the whole system on a quest completion or a chest opening, or 5 guys spamming aoe spells?

net, whats it got going on there? Is sufficient or will it cripple everything from that end.

See tablets are good for a number of things. Great for writing stuff, apps, marketing, business ****. However and this is the reason laptops fail, their is NO ROOM. Laptops tried, but when it comes down to it, they have a meltdown. Well plus the battery things a pain in the ass to.

Tablets are flat lil things with bunches of parts jammed inside. I don't give a damn what the amazing pc technician at verizon, walmart, best buy, or anywhere else says. They're not going to game. They're going to * you off until you hurl it across a room because you can. If you want portable spend a good deal of money on a laptop preferably from a site like cyber power and not an idiotic store, and then also carry a cooling device to keep that sucker warm instead of giving your leg flesh a first degree burn.
    Through avarice, evil smiles; through insanity, it sings.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    Tablets are so small compared to laptops or desktops, why would you want to restrict your gaming experience so much?
    that's less budget than a full-on desktop will run you, and you get both things you want.
    I would love to be able to play ddo on my Ipad. Not as my main computer, but as an on the go unit I can take to my mom's or Panera bread easily. And traveling to use in the hotels with the wifi without lugging my large laptop around. It wouldn't replace my setup at home, but could be a great addition.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Quote Originally Posted by TrinityTurtle View Post
    I would love to be able to play ddo on my Ipad. Not as my main computer, but as an on the go unit I can take to my mom's or Panera bread easily. And traveling to use in the hotels with the wifi without lugging my large laptop around. It wouldn't replace my setup at home, but could be a great addition.
    Seeing as how the Ipads and Android tablets have completely different operating systems from desktops/laptops and a completely different architecture, it would take a LOT of work just to get the DDO client runing on them. This doesn't even take into account the graphics controller on tablets are a fraction of the power available on even Intel Integrated graphics.

Your best bet would be to get a Windows Surface Pro. It's an actual Core i5 CPU with integrated graphics and runs Windows 8. It works with bluetooth keyboards and mice, has one or two USB ports.
    Zyinniah Hazelnut and Curissa Hazelnut on most servers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
    Seeing as how the Ipads and Android tablets have completely different operating systems from desktops/laptops and a completely different architecture, it would take a LOT of work just to get the DDO client runing on them. This doesn't even take into account the graphics controller on tablets are a fraction of the power available on even Intel Integrated graphics.

Your best bet would be to get a Windows Surface Pro. It's an actual Core i5 CPU with integrated graphics and runs Windows 8. It works with bluetooth keyboards and mice, has one or two USB ports.
    I've had both Ipads and a Surface Pro and attempted to play DDO on both (*cough addict cough*). If you want to play DDO on a tablet sized computer, the Surface Pro seems to be your only real bet.

I tried using Splashtop (iPad remote desktop client) and it was a rather pain. Even with a fast connection to a desktop running DDO on a remote client that I consider very easy to use in general, the touch interface made things practically impossible to navigate in the game. In contrast, the Surface Pro ran it quite well and it looked good (small screen size though). Its enough to serve your addiction if you're traveling for some reason.
    Kobold never forgive....kobold remember waterworks.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieKobold View Post
    i'll be putting a bug into our system.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
    I've had both Ipads and a Surface Pro and attempted to play DDO on both (*cough addict cough*). If you want to play DDO on a tablet sized computer, the Surface Pro seems to be your only real bet.

I tried using Splashtop (iPad remote desktop client) and it was a rather pain. Even with a fast connection to a desktop running DDO on a remote client that I consider very easy to use in general, the touch interface made things practically impossible to navigate in the game. In contrast, the Surface Pro ran it quite well and it looked good (small screen size though). Its enough to serve your addiction if you're traveling for some reason.
    There are lots of windows tablets with better specs and probably better value. The first generation surface tablets were basically a failure. Surface 2 may be okay, but who knows. It's quite a hefty price tag too.

Why would anyone want to play DDO on a 10" or 11" tablet screen? Watching TV at the same time?
    Playing it at an airport? Playing it while on a train or public transportation?

At an airport I usually can do it while in an office like cubicle or one of those airline lounges; but then I was using a laptop, not a tablet. Also, you got those curious eyes that kept on staring at you wondering why you were so excited...

With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility

I am playing on a Touch screen PC right now, tablet style, it's fine.

The scroll is a bit wonky, and for some things like Ctl-right click, I tend to mouse it.

But just a touch on the screen to click a hot bar (make sure you lock them of you will move them all over the place) is really handy, and I also play with a Controller Pad (plug into the USB) so, I can just tap what I want to use and then tap center and get back to fighting, makes it brutal to try and type, but, meh, everything else is really cool.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrande View Post
    Why would anyone want to play DDO on a 10" or 11" tablet screen? Watching TV at the same time?
    Playing it at an airport? Playing it while on a train or public transportation?
    Some people like to pick convenience over quality. I don't even like the thought of playing on a laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancisP.Fancypants View Post
    Some people like to pick convenience over quality. I don't even like the thought of playing on a laptop.
    Some people yes but that really is a poor generalization.

I have a very nice desktop system but because of a broken neck it is too painful to use over extended periods. A laptop allows me to play comfortably. So a laptop allows me to play a game I enjoy while the desktop would force me to quit the game.

Also I have a 11" netbook that allows me to play at work where my full size laptop would get in the way. It performs quite nicely. It is a celeron 1.3Ghz with 4 GB memory, intel video and a readyboost drive. The graphics are not as nice as my laptop but it still performs quite well even when fighting Eternity.

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post

Oh, I know, it was just wishful thinking and a response to why anyone would want to play on a small screen that I had quoted and was responding to. However, I have ZERO interest in the Windows Surface Pro or it's cost.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast