Community Member

Default Dwarven Spell Defense

Hello fellow Dwarfs,

Dou you use Dwarven Spell Defense ?
    Does it stack with Spell Resistance e.g. from Epic Phiarlan Mirror Cloak ?
    Does it make a difference in Endgame ?

Cheers,
    Skar, who recently tried a human Paladin but now ruefully is back in the Clan

Community Member

I believe Dwarven Spell Defence stacks with everything (unless it is especially noted otherwise - however I know of no case where this applies).

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skar View Post
    Does it stack with Spell Resistance e.g. from Epic Phiarlan Mirror Cloak ?
    No, because dwarven Spell Defense applies to your saving throws, not your SR. As Jsbeer states, DSD does stack with other save bonuses and it's a nice perk to being a stocky bearded midget.

the +5 to all saves is great. it does not appear on your character sheet but does appear on the saving dice roll.

Community Member

+5 to saves sounds great, indeed.
    What is not great at all is the lack of transparency. How much saves give Dwarfen spell defense I and II ? What saves are covered ? Could the development of the next hair dye be postponed to take care of this ?

Thanks for your help folks.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Dwarves get base +2 saves vs spells; each rank of DSD adds an additional +1. So max bonus is 5.

Hail Skar

Dwarf spell defence - 6 AP well spent I believe.
    All my dwarfs (only play dwarf) have it.
    Helps with saves but alas not with character height!

GO THE DWARFS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

I usually pick up the first one, no-brainer, for 1 AP. 2nd one depending on the build and how tight AP's will be. 3rd one for 3 AP's really build dependent but anyway good for leveling.

I just got back to level 20 on a character and went to reset enhancements for end game and it got me thinking as to what this new level 21-25 content will be and if our saves are going to be severely high or what.

Also I'm realizing the Dwarven Poison Resistance enhancements may come to be quite handy now since this new MOTU content is poison-heavy.

Default :) et Rik

Congrats on regaining lvl 20 purge.

All that thinking (for a dwarf) must be thirsty work!! So whats your poison CaptainPurge? - my shout
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnofEntropy View Post
    Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ...

dwarven spell defence grants a bonus to saving throws.

it stacks with everything as far as im aware but only works against spells cast by mobs, not traps.

I have not tested it on the new spell wards - i suspect it wont work on them as they act like traps but i canot verify.

Its bonus is not listed on your character sheet but does get added on when you actualy roll the die.

the phiarlan mirror cloak is SPELL RESISTANCE, and as such works in a totaly different way - and thus 'staks'.

EDIT: re poisons:

in the case of poisons that are aslo counted as spells. the bonus from dwarven spell defence and dwarven poison resistance stacks.
    Last edited by bigolbear; 06-29-2012 at 04:54 AM.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Quote Originally Posted by NovaNZ View Post
    Congrats on regaining lvl 20 purge.

All that thinking (for a dwarf) must be thirsty work!! So whats your poison CaptainPurge? - my shout
    LOL what's my poison? Well Guinness of course, but after tomorrow no poison really, I have to get back to some work ahead for part of a fortnight.

Oh, and what is thirsty work?

I'll tell you what it is!

This is thirsty work making Holy Smoke!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2xOxzS3m6o

(sorry mate, one of the very few times I've ever heard that phrase and I learned it from Bruce. *ignorant American here*)