Community Member

Default Looking for a Perma Death Group

Hey folks!

I am new to DDO, but, I returned from a short-stint of playing once I heard from a friend that folks had been playing in a concept called Perma Death.

This very much appeals to me - and, I am hoping that someone is looking for a Cleric.

I currently play on Khyber, but, I am not hard-up on any particular server.

I prefer to play Clerics, but, am willing to give Favored Soul a try. Healing For The Win.

I should note, I am in the GMT+9 hours time zone (I live in Korea currently.)

Mortal Voyage has strong off hours play. However, I should mention that Mo (leader of The Core) might have exactly the same hours as you.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Kim-chi for the win! Yeah I'm in Korea and play whenever my schedule permits. With summer coming up, that will mean quite often.

Lately The Core has been nearly comatose. About once a week we fill a party. But with the new update coming soon, we will be running new Druids galore.

Send a tell on Khyber if interested. All my toons start with Mo...
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Community Member

Okay, apparently I am completely ********.

My character name is Ultramarini.

How do I find players/guilds? I am still in Korthos island - and the social box doesn't allow you to search by guilds (does it?) nor by those specific players.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnyr_Delorn View Post
    Rather than plugging each of our own respective guilds, I think the more prudent thing to do would be to provide this link and have you make the decision for yourself. Each guild will have their rules visibly different from one another, so there is plenty of variety. You should check each one out rather than be pressured into a bad fit.
    History repeats itself

Community Member

Okay.. so, I opened up the link to "The Core" and their website, and the information states "contact a member"... So, my question remains - how do I find a list of members who are in that guild so I can contact someone? I tried typing "/tell Duncani_Daho" and received an "unavailable" response - does that mean this player DOESN'T exist? or DOES and is just not online?

Quote Originally Posted by Haischumein View Post
    Okay.. so, I opened up the link to "The Core" and their website, and the information states "contact a member"... So, my question remains - how do I find a list of members who are in that guild so I can contact someone? I tried typing "/tell Duncani_Daho" and received an "unavailable" response - does that mean this player DOESN'T exist? or DOES and is just not online?
    I had a similar problem recently trying to find a member of a specific guild online. What worked for me was to open the "Who" panel and type in a character name. When there were no matches, I erased the name, and the Who list started showing everyone currently online, including their guild and what zone they were in. It took a while, but eventually I found a member of the guild I was looking for by scrolling back and forth through the list.

DDO devs - put "make the Who list filterable by guild" on your to-do list

Community Member Gandalfs_Ghost's Avatar

The who list is sortable by guild, just click on 'guild' at the top of the column and the who list sorts alphabetically by guild.

Also, in order to see who is online you do not need to type someones name and search for them then remove them to get the who list to display. If, when you bring up the who list the first time, the search button is greyed out, just wait a few seconds, just means the list is populating. Once the button appears hit search and it will list everyone online (who isnt anonymous). Then do as I wrote above. click on 'guild' and the list will sort by guild name.
    Last edited by Gandalfs_Ghost; 06-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.

History repeats itself
    I put in a lot of effort and time on my guild. You can hate me for it if you like, but history will continue to repeat itself.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Some time ago someone had a terrific idea to promote Permadeath play.... this:

Official Permadeath Guilds Listing

Welcome to permadeath!

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    I put in a lot of effort and time on my guild. You can hate me for it if you like, but history will continue to repeat itself.
    You're totally right. Everybody else just slapped their guilds together overnight, and you're the only one who put any effort into making your guild what it is today.

Look, every two weeks or so, a new person will come into this forum and ask around for a PD guild. We have two(or three) options:

1. We can all talk over each other extraordinarily disrespectfully about how our guild is the best and everyone else sucks. "I have the most people! I have the best PnP experience! I eat the fewest babies!" We can do that, and our epeen competition might cause our potential guildee to join NO ONE, because we can't act civilly.

2. We can direct him politely to our thread that Narc maintains so well(really, awesome job) and they can go through every guild's website and make an informed decision on their own. This is what many people, including myself, consider the wisest choice. All of our guilds are rivals for new members, because we all wish to grow, but by maintaining this level of courtesy we provide a level of grace to invite more people to join us.

3. Most people follow #2. A few people try to do #1, to the dismay of the people who are being respectful. This causes new people to naturally lean to the direct advertisers, and builds resentment towards guilds, ultimately leading to the extreme #1 example.

Well this case was a bit different, so history doesn't exactly repeat itself. The relevant facts are: the player is in Korea, and he has toons on Khyber. Reading through all the various guild websites wouldn't have been the most helpful piece of advice. A quick FYI about the Core was the right thing to do in this case.

And yes, you search for players online by using the social panel features and then sort by guild. I'll be on Friday night some and quite a bit this weekend.

Lastly, The Core isn't in competition with any guild. It competes with itself, trying to complete guild firsts at various difficulties.
    Last edited by Duncani_Daho; 06-14-2012 at 11:26 PM.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

You're totally right. Everybody else just slapped their guilds together overnight, and you're the only one who put any effort into making your guild what it is today.

Look, every two weeks or so, a new person will come into this forum and ask around for a PD guild. We have two(or three) options:

1. We can all talk over each other extraordinarily disrespectfully about how our guild is the best and everyone else sucks. "I have the most people! I have the best PnP experience! I eat the fewest babies!" We can do that, and our epeen competition might cause our potential guildee to join NO ONE, because we can't act civilly.

2. We can direct him politely to our thread that Narc maintains so well(really, awesome job) and they can go through every guild's website and make an informed decision on their own. This is what many people, including myself, consider the wisest choice. All of our guilds are rivals for new members, because we all wish to grow, but by maintaining this level of courtesy we provide a level of grace to invite more people to join us.

3. Most people follow #2. A few people try to do #1, to the dismay of the people who are being respectful. This causes new people to naturally lean to the direct advertisers, and builds resentment towards guilds, ultimately leading to the extreme #1 example.
    Your rant is pointless. I probably plug your guild more than you do MD. I even have a link to EE (and Sublime and TC) from my guild web page. The way things are now, this dude could log on at GMT +9 in any guild and see a ghost town, but at least I directed him to two places where he has the best chance of grouping.

As far as directing all players to the unofficial permadeath guild listing, most of those guilds are dead. It's a waste of time. There are four long term permadeath guilds that seem to keep rolling through good times and bad. The right thing to do is direct players to those four, not some wild goose chase to ghost land.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Your rant is pointless. I probably plug your guild more than you do MD. I even have a link to EE (and Sublime and TC) from my guild web page. The way things are now, this dude could log on at GMT +9 in any guild and see a ghost town, but at least I directed him to two places where he has the best chance of grouping.

As far as directing all players to the unofficial permadeath guild listing, most of those guilds are dead. It's a waste of time. There are four long term permadeath guilds that seem to keep rolling through good times and bad. The right thing to do is direct players to those four, not some wild goose chase to ghost land.
    LOL Parvo, again you go with the "I am president of Permadeath play attitude", PD Halls of Valhalla has been an official guild since June of 2009, and we have multiple players from the original guild that existed for a year and a half prior to that. I laugh at your continued attempts to try and downplay PD Halls of Valhalla, I understand that you are upset/offended by the fact that any tournaments your guild has run, our guild has run them harder and further, just to silence your epeen! We choose to have a smaller guild with a tighter group of players with a friendly mindset with each other, any time your name comes up in conversation, I just simply direct people to read your posts and the end result always ends up with the same distinction. I recommend to anyone that reading a guild leaders post/threads is a great way to see who you want to be leading you thru your permadeath experience.

Oh and yes there maybe some dead guilds on the "OFFICIAL" Permadeath Guild listing, which is why I added the guild levels to the list as it helps indicate how much activity is happening in the guild, so it is likely any guild that doesn't even have a ship isn't really active overall. The "OFFICIAL" Permadeath Guild Listing is obviously an effective tool for many players on the forums as you can see by the number of views it has had, it makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside! The greatest thing people can have in life is choice and I happy to know tha I have a positive influence on peoples ability to choose which guild they wish to play with!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 63, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc Epic TR 2nd Life Level 9, Repentnarc 16, Gatlingnarc 15, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

If your forum name ever came up in a conversation, I'd let folks know what I think, but I doubt it ever will.

I recommend guilds I have played in that I think are good fit. No matter what you try and make of it, it's that simple.
    Last edited by parvo; 06-18-2012 at 11:58 PM.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Narc, I find it amusing that you think anyone cares whether or not you've run MV's tournaments 'harder and further'. LOL

As to whether or not your guild is a good fit, I think it probably is for a very different type of player than ours. And your post says it all:

"I recommend to anyone that reading a guild leaders post/threads is a great way to see who you want to be leading you thru your permadeath experience."

Parvo is just one more member of our guild, albeit the guy who has final say on the rulebook. A lot of us cringe at a lot of the stuff he says. So what? He's welcome to have his opinion. Noone 'leads' us through our permadeath experience, and our guild leader's posts have nothing to do with how the guild plays. They're exactly what they are represented to be, his opinions.
    We are a group of people who agree to follow a certain ruleset to promote the kind of play we want to follow. Want to know how we play? Check the rules.
    If your posts are a greater indication of how your guild plays than your rule set, then I'm happy that I didn't discover you guys when I didn't solidly know what I was looking for. I might have quit the game after all.
    I had enough of being led through the game in the couple months before the game bored me. Now, several years on, I'm happy to be paving my own way with a great group of guys (and girls).
    Not for everyone. But if you're looking for a fresh experience with a slower pace and tactical play, come check us out at www.mortalvoyage.us You might just like what you see...