Thread: Helf looks

Unhappy Helf looks

It's been a while now since helves were rushed out looking like plastic surgery malpractice. Are we ever going to get their graphics revised? They're embarrassing.
    I'm a non-conformist, just like all my friends

I agree... Their faces are.... Well... Plastic. Way too smooth and unnatural. They need some wrinkles and such.

"Hikari datte, yami datte, kitto"

Into light, into darkness, surely.

There's no shading. The edge of the lips, for example, is just a line. It doesn't blend, it doesn't look natural, it doesn't look as real as every other race, and it doesn't look good. It looks rushed and half fassed. The ratios of the sizes of eyes, face, noses, etc. is just off. It looks like they were like, "ok guys, you've got 20 minutes to finish this before launch, get it done."

OK, fine, you released it. But it sucks. And it's embarrassing. I cringe every time I show someone the game and we run into one of them. I'm all like, "well everything else looks nice. I don't know what happened with the helves."
    I'm a non-conformist, just like all my friends

they look like balloons with faces drawn on them.

luckily the expansion mask u get covers the face good enough. so i keep it on all the time.not for the bonus but for the looks.
    ^^^^^^^^
    This Side UP

Community Member

The funniest thing about that whole topic is....

Everyone agrees with it. I have never read a single post that they like how Half-Elves look....

yet with all those threads about how ugly they look i have never read a dev comment about it.

I guess they wont ever change it...maybe the devs truely think they look good? who knows?
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

NOT everyone agrees with that. Half my chars are half-elves and i like the looks! Dont change them please.

Community Member mikesharpshooter's Avatar

who cares? i only see the back of my helf. and in quest i have no time to look at others faces

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skavenaps View Post
    NOT everyone agrees with that. Half my chars are half-elves and i like the looks! Dont change them please.
    Ok i take that back then.

But you are really the first one i see posting that.

Guess there are more who like the plastic-helfs then.
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

Community Member

Hard to not find ddo helfs being fugliest race of all. I'd prefere even WF looks over helf ...and I dislike WF quite much.

In pen and paper helfs are not ugly at all. Quite the opposite. So it's just a really bad design decision. All about saving money I guess.
    Wayfinder - less inhabitants than a lonely island

Quote Originally Posted by Totensonntag View Post
    Hard to not find ddo helfs being fugliest race of all. I'd prefere even WF looks over helf ...and I dislike WF quite much.

In pen and paper helfs are not ugly at all. Quite the opposite. So it's just a really bad design decision. All about saving money I guess.
    i see elves on that game ugly... and lets not take about human faces. i feel helves quite better.

It's a pity too. I would love to buy Helf because I love the dilettantes, but cannot bring myself to play such a hideous abomination.

I can't bring myself to purchase helves because they're so fugly.
    I can't bring myself to purchase horcs because it would be cheaper to get them bundled with helves.
    So I don't purchase either.

I suspect they were done by the CEO's son, or something, so they're never allowed to be changed, ever.
    Like the walking animations.

Just bought helf and it was a bit weird putting together the face. I think most of it - including the piggy eyes - could be forgiven if the lips weren't so bad. They are very doll like. Change the lips and the rest could be palatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    I can't bring myself to purchase helves because they're so fugly.
    Yea... i was one of the idiots who believed all the hype. I had read and scoured for information prior to the release of Halfiez and Horcs. And in every bit of information i could find, they absolutely raved about how beautiful they would be....
    So, on Day 1 i spent all those hard earned points...
    -Created the toon... and... and...
    BAMM! OMG!!
    hehehhe yanno, I actually created a ticket and just went OFF... no reply of course... a purchase is a purchase.
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

Sadly, they are just human and elf bits slightly modified to sorta fit together. I imagine since helfs are "done" and "functional" that a cosmetic update to them would be cost and time prohibitive with everything else going on.

Agree that it is a shame, though. They are supposed to be charming, graceful and beautiful with high social skills.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

I like the look of my HElfs.
    The only thing I would want is some eyebrows that mesh with my tastes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serudio View Post
    "March 2013! 10 new packs! 25 new pets! Draw your own armor kit! Nothing working! Coming soon!"

We pleaded with the Devs to improve their looks before they went live. And, they acquiesced to some extent - they added a few more options (mostly eyes, which were and are the main problem), and removed a couple like the stupid-yet-somehow-awesome mustache options for males.

(I really do kinda miss this)

But by in large the changes were minor and few... doing little to change the overall visual appeal of Helves.

The chances of them giving them any sort of upgrade or radical overhaul now that the race is Live, and has been for a while, is remote to the point of being practically nill. Since the first beta in 05 people have been asking for variances and improvements to WF... and nothing.

Thank goodness for /showhelmet_on.

Post Helf looks

I agree with the first post improve the looks for more creativity in customization change there emote /taunt as well... lol..
    ŦĘӍPLѦR
    Cannith

Shadowhaze-Righteouss-Technological Warfare-Lightes.
    Fear is the enemy of logic-Frank Sinatra

Community Member

Well, HElves are so awesome that they had to give them a penalty to something. Sadly it was their looks.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

You arent alone in your feelings about Halfelf looks. There even is scientific data that explains what is wrong with them!
    Halfelfs are so creepy, because they sit smackdab in the Uncanny Valley.

It describes that the more human-like something gets, the more we tend to emphasize with it. But there is a valley in this correlation where things already feel human, but are still far enough away to also feel WRONG!, like a fresh corpse or really sick person. You know something is not right with them, so instinctually you shy away from that.

And here with examples:

--> So, dear devs, please work over the faces of the Halfelfes. Its not just some few outliers who dont like them, but widespread and scientifically supported.
    Last edited by Noctus; 06-15-2012 at 08:57 PM.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen