Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Havent seen any non-geared lvl 16 newbies yet... I noticed an increase in GH and necro IV lfms but in the GH LFM I joined we were 5 TRs, mine being one of the weakest as he was only 2nd life. I think people are exaggerating the problem, most "stoned" chars seem to be well-geared TRs, and even first lifers from experienced players would have some nice BTA gear at 16 (cove gear, challenges gear, lordsmarch or madness chain gear)
    Last edited by tekkentroop; 06-06-2012 at 04:16 PM.

Makkuroi: Caster TR (4th life: human FVS/Monk in progress)--Makkutank: Juggernaut copy (3rd life: WF Arti/Monk/Pal in progress)--Bringthem Backalive: Divine Caster, former main (2nd life: human lvl 24 FVS)--Makkuros - craftbot (human lvl 20 artificer)--

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    They don't have to skip the lower level content. L16s can run the L12 content on elite and still get xps. So really the only stuff they might miss is what? Sentinals, Co6, Threnal, Restless Isles, Von, Red Fens, Tempest Spine?

With the exception of Red Fens for someone who plans to TR, there isn't any 'crucial' gear a player will miss out on; and with except for Red Fens and Von, you are looking at some of the least interesting content in the game (although obviously people have their favorites - one of my guildies LOVES threnal).

There is so much content in this game that a first lifer is going to miss quite a bit on the way to 20 anyway. That's what alts and TRs are for: experiencing parts of the game you didn't explore the first time. And it isn't like you can't run quests over level for favor and gear - people do it all the time.
    This is true, especially the bit about too much content, although I find it hard to understand why somebody would skip level 9-15 and then go back and do the quests that they would have done at levels 9-15. What did they get from using the stone then? Maybe the quests were too hard and the player wants to have a go at them at a higher level?

It just makes so much more sense to me to use the stone to skip content one has done countless times before and is just grinding past lives, rather than using it to skip content one has never done before while on their first life. I guess I'm just too old-fashioned in my belief that people should try to get familiar with the content and learn the mechanics on their first life *before* they TR, rather then trying to get to cap as fast as possible. I'm still only getting used to seeing undergeared TRs with low hit points who don't know their way to quests.
    Last edited by Micron; 06-06-2012 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    They don't have to skip the lower level content. L16s can run the L12 content on elite and still get xps. So really the only stuff they might miss is what? Sentinals, Co6, Threnal, Restless Isles, Von, Red Fens, Tempest Spine?

With the exception of Red Fens for someone who plans to TR, there isn't any 'crucial' gear a player will miss out on; and with except for Red Fens and Von, you are looking at some of the least interesting content in the game (although obviously people have their favorites - one of my guildies LOVES threnal).

There is so much content in this game that a first lifer is going to miss quite a bit on the way to 20 anyway. That's what alts and TRs are for: experiencing parts of the game you didn't explore the first time. And it isn't like you can't run quests over level for favor and gear - people do it all the time.
    You get XP from quests until you're 7 lvls higher than said quest:

No penalty at 1 lvl higher
    10% penalty at 2 lvls higher
    25% penalty at 3 lvls higher
    50%, 75%, 99% penalties at 4,5 and 6 lvls higher

No I'm not counting BB.

So You can quite happily run any quest of Lvl 8 and up on Elite, 9 and up on Hard or 10 and up on Normal and still gain XP.
    What you're gonna do with all this XP I have no idea tbh BUT the real reason to run those quests is for the favour and dependant on the quest - The Loot.

As for Red Fens - The loot is great at Lvl 7-12 but by lvl 16 is definitely outclassed {Except the Boots - I love those boots}.
    It becomes great again if Epicced {well some of it does} BUT it's not really an issue to farm the gear rdy for epic on a lvl 16+ character.

I myself adore 3 Barrel Cove, I like Restless Isles a lot {Not the raid} and I actually do like Threnal {apart from 2 things - Coyle and the ridiculous amount of different weapon killing mobs all together}.
    On the other hand I cannot stand The Gianthold Slayer, Half the Walkups out there and Crucible.
    The Minotaur Maze, PoP, Tor and Reaver's Fate somewhat make up for this.
    I also find Vale Flagging to be a chore - The quests are far too long and quite boring to me {Except Running with the Devils}.
    Rainbow in the Dark gets a pass for being so well done BUT Ritual, Dust and Coal are a real chore.

Finally I really like Chains of Flame {well except the end fight} BUT truly Loathe Wiz King.

Favourite Quest - Purge the Fallen Shrine
    Most Hated Quest - The Pit
    Last edited by FranOhmsford; 06-06-2012 at 04:36 PM.

My hubby, housemate, and I just got upped to 16. We've been playing since it first went free to play, but due to real life, and changing servers halfway, never had anyone over 13.

I have guildies who cover my butt on occasion, but, I don't ask them for stuff for the others who are not in the guild. So, if anyone wants to randomly send some nice stuff to Kayata and Luadiira, I'm sure you'd make their day!

Not telling them I'm doing this, so, if you do send them something, let me know so they're not utterly confused (for more than a few minutes. I mean, I do want to watch them baffled for a little while.)

(Kerta is mine, but like I said, I have guildies, so I don't want to bother for things. Just thought I'd put this out there for them. )
    Characters of note:
    Cannith --Smudge, Lillari, Thrallia, Urja
    Thelanis -- Magarette, Nuadia, Kerta, Sayata, Urja

Quote Originally Posted by Amaile View Post
    My hubby, housemate, and I just got upped to 16. We've been playing since it first went free to play, but due to real life, and changing servers halfway, never had anyone over 13.

I have guildies who cover my butt on occasion, but, I don't ask them for stuff for the others who are not in the guild. So, if anyone wants to randomly send some nice stuff to Kayata and Luadiira, I'm sure you'd make their day!

Not telling them I'm doing this, so, if you do send them something, let me know so they're not utterly confused (for more than a few minutes. I mean, I do want to watch them baffled for a little while.)

(Kerta is mine, but like I said, I have guildies, so I don't want to bother for things. Just thought I'd put this out there for them. )
    Any idea what little Timmy could use for Christmas? I've just been low pricing stuff on the AH for now.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Best stat item Kayata has is +3 dex gloves (other than the belt as part of the level 16 package). Both rings are pretty much junk. Could use wisdom, dex, or strength rings or gloves. I'm guessing Luadiira's gear is pretty much the same, since I was the one trying to gear them at 8.
    Handwraps are pretty much junk until I can finish crafting the +3 shock/bleeding ones I was working on for them, but those will be the best they have. That said, we will work on getting Stonedust when we get back from camping after next week.
    Both are wearing an outfit of invulnerability. I do not believe either of them have any item of fort beyond the reaver's ring that came in the package, but we'll work on Minos when we get back, also.
    Pretty sure they have about 6k plat between the two of them, so pretty much they have drops plus what little I could cobble together for them out of my meager crafting skills and budget.

Edit: Heh. I realize now that in my late night posting I neglected to say that all three of us are monks. Luadiira and mysef are Ninja spy, and Kayata is Shintao.
    Last edited by Amaile; 06-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Characters of note:
    Cannith --Smudge, Lillari, Thrallia, Urja
    Thelanis -- Magarette, Nuadia, Kerta, Sayata, Urja

Community Member

Ok, so I'm one of those that stoned on my first character....probably shouldn't have but it's water under the bridge. I've been trying to run quests to get some decent gear for my fighter. I'm still running with the Siren's combo and the Claw combo so if anyone wants to send some decent gear my way I'd appreciate it alot. I do have the Minos Legens and +5 Full Plate of Moderate Fortification.

TIA
    Last edited by slider609; 06-09-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slider609 View Post
    Ok, so I'm one of those that stoned on my first character....probably shouldn't have but it's water under the bridge. I've been trying to run quests to get some decent gear for my fighter. I'm still running with the Siren's combo and the Claw combo so if anyone wants to send some decent gear my way I'd appreciate it alot. I do have the Minos Legens and +5 Full Plate of Moderate Fortification.

TIA
    Out of complete curiosity (I don't feed the pan-handlers of Thelanis), if I was being generous, what would you do with 400,000 Platinum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them. Far too often players use it as a tool to push there own agenda and twist numbers to cause strife where its not due.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimpinator View Post
    Out of complete curiosity (I don't feed the pan-handlers of Thelanis), if I was being generous, what would you do with 400,000 Platinum?
    I would go all Charlie Sheen with it and buy me some Goddesses and lines of blow...

If that suits the request please mail funds to Darkrune or find any of my toons in game.
    Darkrune TRx2 lvl 20 FvS, Darkdivinity lvl 20 cleric, Darkaxe lvl 20 fighter, Darktune TRx1 lvl 4bard, Darkbow lvl 20 AA Ranger, Darksoldier TRx1 lvl 20 Barb, Darkspells TRx2 lvl 20 Wizard, Darkbattle TRx1 lvl 20 artificer, Darktemper lvl 17 Ranger, Darkfists TRx1 lvl 20 Monk, Darkherald lvl 5 paladin Guild Leader of No Politics Thelanis Server

HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLL SCROLLLS !!! and some raise scrolls can you actually buy semi decent stuff on the ah anymore that isn't rediculasly over priced? Id check out he house D and K Vendors

Thats not what id do but a good recommendation.
    The New Blood
    Athrael Tinyclanger Tinypiker Tinyskittle
    ~Gollie~ ~Littleears~ ~Milacku~ Tinyflinger

Community Member

I'd buy the equipment I needed and send the remainder back.

if i'm on the forums then probably offshore

I'd buy the equipment I needed and send the remainder back.
    Go to the AH/Vendors/etc and specifically tell us what you would buy. Not trying to be snarky but we obviously know you would buy equipment with it. I think the question is if you would even know what to buy in the first place.
    Neg Ten, ruining your enjoyment of the game one quest at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by biggin View Post
    Go to the AH/Vendors/etc and specifically tell us what you would buy. Not trying to be snarky but we obviously know you would buy equipment with it. I think the question is if you would even know what to buy in the first place.
    That is sort of the point of this thread--teaching the newer players (not that I am a supreme player without need for improvement, by a long shot) how to play at and gear for higher levels.

Heavy Fort item
    +6 stat items (especially for Con and main class stats
    Immunity items
    Greater False Life +
    Toughness item (Minos to double up with Hvy Fort)
    +13 of greater skill items for class skills
    Deathblock/Deathward Clicky
    Pots for Haste, Curses, Cures (if needed)
    1000 of each spell component on a hotbar
    +5 Thieves tools if applicable
    Scrolls for casters and UMD (from Invis to Heal and Raise Dead)
    More self healing suplies.

Ghost Touch (or Spectral Gloves are cheap now)
    Smiter
    Banisher
    Disrupter
    Metalline of PG (or Righteous)

I am sure there are plenty more, but those are some of my basics. The quest/event based loot to add has been addressed in plenty of threads.
    "The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves." Niccolò Machiavelli
    Thelanis: Arbix Completionist (23rd Life), ArbySoul, ArbyBarb, ArbyPriest, Arbificer etc.

Default And...

For casters, Lore items, Superior clickies and Potency/other spell boosting items... Xpack change pending, but this should still be a good focus.

That should hopefully get to started until GS, DT and other items are added...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DanteEnFuego View Post
    That is sort of the point of this thread--teaching the newer players (not that I am a supreme player without need for improvement, by a long shot) how to play at and gear for higher levels.

Heavy Fort item
    +6 stat items (especially for Con and main class stats
    Immunity items
    Greater False Life +
    Toughness item (Minos to double up with Hvy Fort)
    +13 of greater skill items for class skills
    Deathblock/Deathward Clicky
    Pots for Haste, Curses, Cures (if needed)
    1000 of each spell component on a hotbar
    +5 Thieves tools if applicable
    Scrolls for casters and UMD (from Invis to Heal and Raise Dead)
    More self healing suplies.

Ghost Touch (or Spectral Gloves are cheap now)
    Smiter
    Banisher
    Disrupter
    Metalline of PG (or Righteous)

I am sure there are plenty more, but those are some of my basics. The quest/event based loot to add has been addressed in plenty of threads.
    Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what I need but going from this list I should probably have:

Disease Immunity: Ring of Greater False Life (166,000 buyout)
    Health +6 Ring of Light Fortification (5,145 starting bid)
    +5 Metalline Greataxe of Pure Good (15,560 starting bid)
    +5 Metalline Battle Axe of Pure Good (25,000 buyout)
    Ogre Power +6 Gloves (25,000 buyout) I'd rather have another attribute but this was really all that was on the AH at the time
    Disease Immunity Belt of Spell Resistance? (20,000 buyout)
    Health +5 Necklace of Protection +1 (10,000 buyout) slim pickings on the AH
    +5 Admantine Tower Shield of Resistance (+2) (25,000 buyout)
    Bracers - slim pickings on AH suggestions welcome
    Trinket - Suggestions welcome
    Shield - Suggestions welcome

Equipment I have that I don't feel the need to upgrade at this moment:
    Minos Legens
    +5 Full Plate of Moderate Fortification
    Surefooted Boots (Balance +10, Striding +20%)
    Maenya's Fists (will upgrade this item through quest)
    Reaver's Ring (Immunity to Fear, Light Fortification, Will Save -2)
    Cape of the Roc (Feather Falling, Roc's Strength (3 charges))

Feel free to critique my suggested shopping list.

Yeah, it's hard to know exactly what I need but going from this list I should probably have:

Disease Immunity: Ring of Greater False Life (166,000 buyout)
    Health +6 Ring of Light Fortification (5,145 starting bid)
    +5 Metalline Greataxe of Pure Good (15,560 starting bid)
    +5 Metalline Battle Axe of Pure Good (25,000 buyout)
    Ogre Power +6 Gloves (25,000 buyout) I'd rather have another attribute but this was really all that was on the AH at the time
    Disease Immunity Belt of Spell Resistance? (20,000 buyout)
    Health +5 Necklace of Protection +1 (10,000 buyout) slim pickings on the AH
    +5 Admantine Tower Shield of Resistance (+2) (25,000 buyout)

Minos Legens
    +5 Full Plate of Moderate Fortification
    Surefooted Boots (Balance +10, Striding +20%)
    Maenya's Fists (will upgrade this item through quest)
    Reaver's Ring (Immunity to Fear, Light Fortification, Will Save -2)
    Cape of the Roc (Feather Falling, Roc's Strength (3 charges))

Class? Would think Barb or FTR but I've been wrong before. Thailand is so confusing.......

Community Member

Class? Would think Barb or FTR but I've been wrong before. Thailand is so confusing.......
    Fighter is correct, sorry I should have included it again but it was in my first post in this thread.

Disease Immunity: Ring of Greater False Life (166,000 buyout)- not bad but way overpriced and will be replaced by TOD rings anyway

Health +6 Ring of Light Fortification (5,145 starting bid)- cheap and useful

+5 Metalline Greataxe of Pure Good (15,560 starting bid)- good solid weapon until you build an arsenal

+5 Metalline Battle Axe of Pure Good (25,000 buyout)- no battle axes

Ogre Power +6 Gloves (25,000 buyout) I'd rather have another attribute but this was really all that was on the AH at the time- again, good cheap buy but you are correct about a bad slot

Disease Immunity Belt of Spell Resistance? (20,000 buyout)- no, never wear an item that you can use a pot for unless for a specific quest like wiz king; SR on items is subpar and has almost no effect unless its ML 0

Health +5 Necklace of Protection +1 (10,000 buyout) slim pickings on the AH- no need for 2 CON items

+5 Admantine Tower Shield of Resistance (+2) (25,000 buyout)- shields play very limited roles. if you use a 2 handed weapon no need for a shield, at least not right away. You can use any vendor trash one you find for the times you do

Minos Legens- you aren't clueless, good job

+5 Full Plate of Moderate Fortification- useless unless you have decent AC with it and I expect you don't

Surefooted Boots (Balance +10, Striding +20%)- not bad at all

Maenya's Fists (will upgrade this item through quest)- STR +5, good enough til you find a +6

Reaver's Ring (Immunity to Fear, Light Fortification, Will Save -2)-useless, GH makes you immune to fear and you can't give -2 to Will saves since you already have low scores

Cape of the Roc (Feather Falling, Roc's Strength (3 charges))- not bad if you don't want to swap around items

Things to look for....

Melt down that full plate you are wearing and get a deathblock item on. Robes are the way to go if you have low AC anyway and they are quick to swap around. They are usually plentiful on the AH. Also check out the freeze guard armor from the challenges if you have access. Have to do those yourself.

Visor of the flesh render from Tangleroot. Deathward clickie is your friend.

Planar gird from Xorian Cipher or the AH. GH is your friend.

Cloak slot- I like my HP item from Shroud. You may or may not have this pack and the slot is different for some, but 45 stacking HP's is a must.

Trinket- some like a Bloodstone but it may be out of your price range. Ioun Stones are better but you may not have the pack. There are many choices here, but none that are super cheap except maybe a Dusk Heart but you can do without it

Honestly with crafting so over the top now you can just save all your essences and get someone to craft most of this stuff at a much lower minimum level than you can buy them. The problem is you are moving out of the +item category and into the named item phase of toon life so it's hard to say to buy this or that. As long as you have heavy fort (you do), the highest STR and CON items you can find, deathblock, greater false life, all you really need are some DR breaking weapons to get you through. You will need for pots:curse, poison, disease, haste, rage, and a healthy stack of healing.

The fun part is when you do start getting named items in different slots than you went out and bought and find yourself playing musical swap with everything you own.

Thanks, Biggin. +1. This is the sort of stuff I was hoping for with this thread, along with some willingness to guide in game. I'm high 90s in crafting and can craft at cost too.

Community Member

Things to look for....

Melt down that full plate you are wearing and get a deathblock item on. Robes are the way to go if you have low AC anyway and they are quick to swap around. They are usually plentiful on the AH. Also check out the freeze guard armor from the challenges if you have access. Have to do those yourself.

Visor of the flesh render from Tangleroot. Deathward clickie is your friend.

Planar gird from Xorian Cipher or the AH. GH is your friend.

Cloak slot- I like my HP item from Shroud. You may or may not have this pack and the slot is different for some, but 45 stacking HP's is a must.

Trinket- some like a Bloodstone but it may be out of your price range. Ioun Stones are better but you may not have the pack. There are many choices here, but none that are super cheap except maybe a Dusk Heart but you can do without it

Honestly with crafting so over the top now you can just save all your essences and get someone to craft most of this stuff at a much lower minimum level than you can buy them. The problem is you are moving out of the +item category and into the named item phase of toon life so it's hard to say to buy this or that. As long as you have heavy fort (you do), the highest STR and CON items you can find, deathblock, greater false life, all you really need are some DR breaking weapons to get you through. You will need for pots:curse, poison, disease, haste, rage, and a healthy stack of healing.

The fun part is when you do start getting named items in different slots than you went out and bought and find yourself playing musical swap with everything you own.
    Thanks, I appreciate the insight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast