Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default What seem to be the most popular PvP abilities?

I want to make a PvP build but haven't really messed with PvP too much. Are there any popular spells/abilities to build against, or is there enough variety that it can be anything goes?

there are a couple of issues with PVP...

you can wear deathblock/deathward to counter most necro spells, but theres nothing that protects you from Powerword Stun. (edit actually HP have some influence on it, at least the duration iirc)

General rule: Casters dominate, be it Wizard or Cleric/FvS
    If you want to play a non caster, AA Ranger with manyshot and slaying arrows is pretty decent in PVP (though incredibly boring).

You will want very high saves (approaching mid 40s) and evasion. If you are very good at twitchy playstyle monk with a high stun dc could work as well. High trip usually works well against casters too.
    Other then that, PVP isnt balanced in DDO because the classes in general arent (nor should they be imo). Not a lot of people play PVP here. Free for all PVP usually ends with some casters just nuking /stunning/ or using dots which isnt much fun at all. Imo as soon as casters enter PVP it gets boring and frustrating very fast. the winner is whoever clicks powerword stun the fastest...
    Melee PVP can be fun if there are some rules. in my experience AC work extremely well there. Even though all barbs claim to hit everything on a 2, they dont

my PVP ranking
    1. FvS with 2 levels of monk
    2. wizard pale master with 2 levels of monk (powerword stun)
    3. Cleric
    4. WF Sorc (due to evadeable spells or lower dc's)
    High AC Monk based build with very high stunning fist
    AA Ranger with slaying arrows

...well actually...the ranking changes a lot depending on the guy/gal your fighting
    Last edited by Ap0k; 06-10-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Aggrom - Zenjin - Kaylam - Ciryll
    Ghallanda

Playing DDO since April 2006

Community Member

Without a doubt the most popular PvP ability is their ability to cry and whine, as evidenced daily in harbor chat.

Quote Originally Posted by UinseanRianAchta View Post
    I want to make a PvP build but haven't really messed with PvP too much. Are there any popular spells/abilities to build against, or is there enough variety that it can be anything goes?
    I wasn't aware the words "PVP" and "popular" went together much at all to be honest.

Unless you know a lot of similar-minded people already I certainly wouldn't put the time into an entire build for pvp, you're likely to wish you hadn't bothered pretty soon.
    <------Pay no attention to the join date, played pre-launch in EU & moved to U.S. servers.

The most popular is not doing it at all ddo isnt a very good game for pvp if thats what your really look for but the best at it are usually arcanes or an Arcane archer.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Default My favorite

Without a doubt the ability noT to go in the DRAMA box is the best ability hands down!
    If you're dead set on doing it know how to melt the changes off a Pale Lave and make you're opponent /death just to leave cause we all know how fun it is to be that person who is eternally stuck unable to do any thing. Oh and don't forget to heal youre new found friend after you melt his ioun stone so you can keep this infinite loop going. And if you see that mercy killer just add him to the loop nothing like one active caster immobilizing a whole PVP arena.
    Guild: Alt's of Olidia, Hiding Spot of: Olidia

Ioun stone counters stun and most other spells, and regens fast enough that PWS cannot be counted on.

Probably the best I've seen was a virtuoso ranger. Caper enemies (pretty sure goes through walls+can be facing wherever) and then pew pew away-the will save is based on perform skill so is crazy high, and it bypasses SR and more importantly spell absorption.

When they added the 10k hp they added a cheatcode in as well. You need a totally clear buff bar (not even set bonuses). Then get the following buffs (self cast or by others)oesn't matter just the order:

1. Heroism
    2. Good Hope
    3. Greater Heroism
    4. Prayer

Then hit Alt-F4 you will enter god mode. :P
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    The most popular is not doing it at all ddo isnt a very good game for pvp if thats what your really look for but the best at it are usually arcanes or an Arcane archer.
    Seriously, leave the pvp forums please
    All you do is reply in every post how you hate pvp, as far as I'm concerned that is against the rules.
    How fun it would be if you post an idea about a bug being fixed in quest x, and I reply: I never run quest x so don't put dev time in it. Also I don't play paladins and I don't like em, so dont uprade em. I don't like elves either (drow/helf better) so just remove em as well?

It's not cus YOU don't enjoy pvp others do not.
    Of course these haters say: No-one does pvp. Well, they are wrong, they don't know who does pvp because they are never there. I used to be frequent pvp'er (right now with all the changes they made since U9 I only occasinally go there with monk while raid fills) and I assure you I meet new people like everytime I go there.

Yes there are kids that pvp, just like there are kids that quest, you can do /squelch to all kids, only, in questing u call it 'noob', in pvp 'kid'

To all haters: Stop being te kid urself by spamming these forums. As said I'm not a huge pvp fan, but that doesn't mean that people who still do it often and enjoy it should be spammed.

Also I would like, like many other players, private pvp chat instances. Not because harbor general get's spammed too much IMO, but because it would make many non-pvp'ers happy.
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)
    Two handed chruchers, Ghallanda

Community Member

Now to the topic: I used to pvp with 18 FvS/2 monk (intimi tank/healer/light spell hitter) and it worked great, but with PLIS there are 3 general pvp ownage builds IMO that can beat most of the players, 2/3 aren't useful in quests, and one is TR-required and gear intensive

1) Best one is: 12 bard/6 ranger/2 fighter elf 'Virtuoso AA' in my opinion.
    2) Useful in quests: '18 wizard 2 (monk or rogue), PL wizard force spec. Archmage/WF works best to combine with questing
    3) Least gear intensive: 18 sorc/2 pally earth savant max con/cha for saves/earthgrab/dots.

Note that 1) and 3) are considered 'cheap' and will be called 'noob' often. 2) Is advance build.

Contact me ingame for more info.
    Ainevek: 9/6/2 FvS/ranger/paladin (life 2/?) Shinweng: 8/5/2 monk/wizard/paladin (life 4/3?Abaranda: 18/2 FvS/monk (life 7/?) Kevenia: 6 sorcerer (life 2/?)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by keveniaftw View Post
    All you do is reply in every post how you hate pvp, as far as I'm concerned that is against the rules.
    How fun it would be if you post an idea about a bug being fixed in quest x, and I reply: I never run quest x so don't put dev time in it. Also I don't play paladins and I don't like em, so dont uprade em. I don't like elves either (drow/helf better) so just remove em as well?

Of course these haters say: No-one does pvp. Well, they are wrong, they don't know who does pvp because they are never there. I used to be frequent pvp'er (right now with all the changes they made since U9 I only occasinally go there with monk while raid fills) and I assure you I meet new people like everytime I go there.

Yes there are kids that pvp, just like there are kids that quest, you can do /squelch to all kids, only, in questing u call it 'noob', in pvp 'kid'

To all haters: Stop being te kid urself by spamming these forums. As said I'm not a huge pvp fan, but that doesn't mean that people who still do it often and enjoy it should be spammed.

Also I would like, like many other players, private pvp chat instances. Not because harbor general get's spammed too much IMO, but because it would make many non-pvp'ers happy.
    DDO pvp sucks, and is not even worth trying.

Sorry, you asked for it.
    "The feat "Toughness", is invaluable for any build. Always take at least one, even if your mother told you not to."

I am going to post where I want and telling me not to is trolling and I actually gave some pvp advice if would have read instead of just attacking me

Show me just where I said I hated pvp in the above post? I just said the most popular is not pvping which is a stone cold fact!!!!
    Last edited by Uska; 06-11-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Community Member

I am going to post where I want and telling me not to is trolling and I actually gave some pvp advice if would have read instead of just attacking me

Show me just where I said I hated pvp in the above post? I just said the most popular is not pvping which is a stone cold fact!!!!
    You really don't want me to quote wht u said in other posts earlier, just was shocked u were still spreading anti-pvp posts after all the time

You really don't want me to quote wht u said in other posts earlier, just was shocked u were still spreading anti-pvp posts after all the time
    No I said show me in the above post where I said I hated pvp You posted a falsehood in your post all I said is most dont pvp which is a fact yes I have posted before I dont like pvp but not so far in this thread YOU ATTACKED ME PERSONALLY and there were others who had much stronger antipvp statements in this thread.

So do me a favor dont talk to me and I wont talk to you and I will avoid your groups on g-land already have your characters notated so I wont be around you

this is the last thing I will ever say to you and I wont read any of your posts.

Generally speaking, any solid class of build is capable of pwning any other class - its the player behind the character; however the default classification of "easiest to battle with in pvp" would be:

1. Casters - arcane or otherwise,

2. Any class or multiclass that can self heal, range with slayers and melee decently & any DPS machine with trip/stun (this includes monks and a few paladins I know),

3. IMOP I think there is one class that is hurt by the PVP rules and regs which is a rogue and thusly the hardest to master in the pvp arena; more importantly though, a rogue with low AC.
    The one and only Aluecian - Congo Bowl I Champions, Team InB4Lock - Survival Builds(NEWEST BUILD IS AT POST #48): http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=209152 Pic of Me, Post# 332 http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=163146&page=9

The most popular spell is probably meteor swarm. Evasion mitigates quite a bit of the damage.

You also want to have enough hp to survive a slayer arrow, and possibly some AC or DR to dodge most of the incoming arrow damage.

By far the most popular attribute is Skipping......as in skipping PvP completely...
    Some people are like Slinkies
    They don't really have a purpose
    But they still bring a smile to your face
    When you push them down the stairs

Community Member

No I said show me in the above post where I said I hated pvp You posted a falsehood in your post all I said is most dont pvp which is a fact yes I have posted before I dont like pvp but not so far in this thread YOU ATTACKED ME PERSONALLY and there were others who had much stronger antipvp statements in this thread.

So do me a favor dont talk to me and I wont talk to you and I will avoid your groups on g-land already have your characters notated so I wont be around you

this is the last thing I will ever say to you and I wont read any of your posts.
    Can you, as final thing send me ur ingame names so I can avoid these too? O.o

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yajerman01 View Post
    Generally speaking, any solid class of build is capable of pwning any other class - its the player behind the character; however the default classification of "easiest to battle with in pvp" would be:

1. Casters - arcane or otherwise,

2. Any class or multiclass that can self heal, range with slayers and melee decently & any DPS machine with trip/stun (this includes monks and a few paladins I know),

3. IMOP I think there is one class that is hurt by the PVP rules and regs which is a rogue and thusly the hardest to master in the pvp arena; more importantly though, a rogue with low AC.
    Mostly agreed with part 3: pvp ownage aint a line, it's a 'circle'. With 'sub circles'
    One of the sub circles for instance
    Horc barb > Arcane > FvS/Monk > Horc barb
    AA > Arcane > FvS/Monk > AA
    Sorc > Sorc that is in brawl BEFORE him
    AA > Horc barb
    Only generally speaking 'higher pvp builds' where posted above, I didn't mention FvS/Monk since pre U9 these owned arcans (generally speaking) and that aint no more! While the wiz/monk PM force spec wiz PL remains strong

Mostly agreed with part 3: pvp ownage aint a line, it's a 'circle'. With 'sub circles'
    One of the sub circles for instance
    Horc barb > Arcane > FvS/Monk > Horc barb
    AA > Arcane > FvS/Monk > AA
    Sorc > Sorc that is in brawl BEFORE him
    AA > Horc barb
    Only generally speaking 'higher pvp builds' where posted above, I didn't mention FvS/Monk since pre U9 these owned arcans (generally speaking) and that aint no more! While the wiz/monk PM force spec wiz PL remains strong
    I will agree with this, mine was more of a generalization because again player skill can sometimes dictate the outcome regardless of class
    The one and only Aluecian - Congo Bowl I Champions, Team InB4Lock - Survival Builds(NEWEST BUILD IS AT POST #48): http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=209152 Pic of Me, Post# 332 http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=163146&page=9

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast