Community Member

Default Now that my AA Ranger has capped.

I guess it's time to start looking toward getting him some better gear.
    Parasitic Breastplate, Bow of Sinew, Wind Howlers are very good, but probably won't be up to snuff on epics.

Any suggestions?
    Lit2 bow? Min2?
    Dragontouched Armor?
    Goggles?
    Cannith Challenge items?

Community Member

Lit 2 Greensteel is great, it's the only Greensteel I think that worth making.

Get a randomly generated Wounding of Puncturing. Crafted won't work as you can't icy-burst it. This is by far the best trash-killing weapon in content where the mobs aren't immune to stat damage.

Get that new bow out of the harbor drow quests for shooting Skeletons, it's wonderful.

Tharnes Goggles from VOD.

Double-Earth Alchemical is nice as well.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Lit II bow and Epic Freezing Tunic from the Challenges is what I suggest you work on next.

The Earth bow from the Challenges is very nice too...

Ring of the Stalker too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

I've seen Parasitic cited on ranger AA's in a few places now - why? and where do you thereafter slot Heavy Fort? On ring?

Mine has been using Equilibrium, both Cannith-helmed sets, swaps wind howlers when on bow, etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I've seen Parasitic cited on ranger AA's in a few places now - why? and where do you thereafter slot Heavy Fort? On ring?

Mine has been using Equilibrium, both Cannith-helmed sets, swaps wind howlers when on bow, etc.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Parasitic_Breastplate

I use it because it goes quite well with the windhowlers, the bow of sinew, and the sustaining symbiont at lvl available around lvl 14 or so. It's like they're all made for each other.

I have heavy fort on my Minos Legens.*

*though I will probably change that once I get moar better gear.
    Last edited by Chauncey1; 05-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Lit2 bow is probably the best GS you can make for an AA. If you are heavy on some larges a Pos x3 is pretty nice too, though maybe not as nice now that the new bow is out from the Spinner series.

Shimmering Arrowhead (if you have Amrath) is decent too. Not as much seeker as a bloodstone but the crippling effect is nice.

A source of spearblock is nice (as since you are ranging it makes some mobs range you back) ring of mire or bramble-casters are handy.

WoP, WoE bows can be good in some situations as well as a decent paralyzer.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Community Member

I would focus on weapons first. You will need 2 good swords to use between manyshots as bow damage is to weak for epics compared to melee damage. Lit2 is great for the bow and swords. The House C challenge elemental weapons are also good. A ring from Tower of Despair with exc +1 str and exc +2 str is also a good thing to work on, although it can take a while to get the ring you need. Also a health +6 greater false life belt is easy to get from TOD. The Occult slayer set is really good for rangers even though it is intended as a barbarian item.

Parasitic breastplate is suprisingly good for epics as you can craft +10 reflex save on it to ensure you make your reflex saves and fully evade the damage. Dragontouched armor is probably better overall, but I find the bonus +5 reflex save to really help me in epics where I make many saving throws. If you are in the high 20s to low 30s for reflex save the +5 makes a big difference in epics. Windhowler bracers are also reasonable for epics as it increases your dps. Ring of the stalker and possibly greater bold trinket (crystal cove item) can be used to increase your dps.

Tharnes goggles are great. A greensteel hp item is also helpful. I would suggest a concordant opposition hp item as it works well for rangers, but also requires more ingredients. Minos Legens is easy to get and many level 20s still wear that.

Start with epics that are on the easy side: House C Challenges, House P, House D. House C challenges is your quickest path to get good gear followed by festivals - especially Crystal Cove and Mabar.

For each epic you run make sure you have dr breakers for bosses. That is "good aligned" for epic snitch and epic big top. DDO wiki will give you that info for each quest if you don't know it. Also be sure to run the quests a few times below epic to ensure you know the right way to go before you join an epic party. Making a wrong turn in epic partycrashers can be problematic and it's easy to get lost in epic snitch if you don't know the way.
    CC Casting Druid: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...C-Summer-Build
    Shiradi Wiz Plan for 1st Lifers: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...r-First-Lifers
    U25 Patch 1 Dex Halfling Assassin Build: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...x-Assassin-1-0
    Warlock DC Caster: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ld-Blast-Build

Several characters on Sarlona all starting with "Rand" in the Guild "Guardians of House Cannith". My main four characters are Randowl (18 rogue 2 artificer mechanic - hope to go back to DC casting some day), Randslar (Bard 14 / Fighter 4 / Rogue 2 Swashbuckler), Randek (Druid CC Caster 17/Fvs 3) and Randomall (Rogue 20 assassin).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by slarden View Post
    I would focus on weapons first. You will need 2 good swords to use between manyshots as bow damage is to weak for epics compared to melee damage. Lit2 is great for the bow and swords. The House C challenge elemental weapons are also good. A ring from Tower of Despair with exc +1 str and exc +2 str is also a good thing to work on, although it can take a while to get the ring you need. Also a health +6 greater false life belt is easy to get from TOD. The Occult slayer set is really good for rangers even though it is intended as a barbarian item.

Parasitic breastplate is suprisingly good for epics as you can craft +10 reflex save on it to ensure you make your reflex saves and fully evade the damage. Dragontouched armor is probably better overall, but I find the bonus +5 reflex save to really help me in epics where I make many saving throws. If you are in the high 20s to low 30s for reflex save the +5 makes a big difference in epics. Windhowler bracers are also reasonable for epics as it increases your dps. Ring of the stalker and possibly greater bold trinket (crystal cove item) can be used to increase your dps.

Tharnes goggles are great. A greensteel hp item is also helpful. I would suggest a concordant opposition hp item as it works well for rangers, but also requires more ingredients. Minos Legens is easy to get and many level 20s still wear that.

Start with epics that are on the easy side: House C Challenges, House P, House D. House C challenges is your quickest path to get good gear followed by festivals - especially Crystal Cove and Mabar.

For each epic you run make sure you have dr breakers for bosses. That is "good aligned" for epic snitch and epic big top. DDO wiki will give you that info for each quest if you don't know it. Also be sure to run the quests a few times below epic to ensure you know the right way to go before you join an epic party. Making a wrong turn in epic partycrashers can be problematic and it's easy to get lost in epic snitch if you don't know the way.
    Great info, thanks!
    I've got the ability to use khopeshes, but haven't really invested any time in acquiring anything other than what I either find or can afford from the AH. I've got a pair of the envenomed blades, but I don't think they'll be very useful in the epic content. I will work on getting better melee gear.
    I have yet to do any of Amrath stuff. But will be working on that soon.

Actually, I see that I have quite a bit of work ahead of me.

Although everybody fancies LitII a lot, i did NOT craft it for my AA. Instead, I crafted a MinII lonbgow. Alright, it does not have those really nice damage spikes, but it has other nice perks: it's Keen (which combines well with the Wind Howler Bracers and lets you have a free feat), it's Bleeding (which brings extra damage per shot for most enemies), has a Stoneskin clickie (which is quite useful for my sorta squishy elf AA), and is Metalline and Good (which makes it the perfect DR breaker for most occasions, without needing to worry for special arrows, or allowing you to use Holy or Greater Bane arrows in combination).

Other than that, I also dig the Wind Howler Bracers, the Shimmering Arrowhead from the Weapons Shipment, the Parasitic Breastplate with the Ref enhancement (I've been trying the Daze enhancement lately, but it's not really useful for endgame content), and two swords that will let me CC a bit in the rare occasions when I get surrounded by mobs (Timeblade, Sirroco, and Envenomed Blade, all of them epicable).

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Parasitic_Breastplate

I use it because it goes quite well with the windhowlers, the bow of sinew, and the sustaining symbiont at lvl available around lvl 14 or so. It's like they're all made for each other.

I have heavy fort on my Minos Legens.*

*though I will probably change that once I get moar better gear.
    Ahh, I never really paid much attention to the breastplate, but the other three I use pretty religiously. Other than the +10 reflex saves, I really wasn't that impressed - I'll fool around with it for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Hinedhel View Post
    Although everybody fancies LitII a lot, i did NOT craft it for my AA. Instead, I crafted a MinII lonbgow. Alright, it does not have those really nice damage spikes, but it has other nice perks: it's Keen (which combines well with the Wind Howler Bracers and lets you have a free feat), it's Bleeding (which brings extra damage per shot for most enemies), has a Stoneskin clickie (which is quite useful for my sorta squishy elf AA), and is Metalline and Good (which makes it the perfect DR breaker for most occasions, without needing to worry for special arrows, or allowing you to use Holy or Greater Bane arrows in combination).

Other than that, I also dig the Wind Howler Bracers, the Shimmering Arrowhead from the Weapons Shipment, the Parasitic Breastplate with the Ref enhancement (I've been trying the Daze enhancement lately, but it's not really useful for endgame content), and two swords that will let me CC a bit in the rare occasions when I get surrounded by mobs (Timeblade, Sirroco, and Envenomed Blade, all of them epicable).
    From this I assume you don't normally take Improved Critical: Ranged? Or are Keen and IC:R stacking with one another now and I missed a meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey1 View Post
    I guess it's time to start looking toward getting him some better gear.
    Parasitic Breastplate, Bow of Sinew, Wind Howlers are very good, but probably won't be up to snuff on epics.

Any suggestions?
    Lit2 bow? Min2?
    Dragontouched Armor?
    Goggles?
    Cannith Challenge items?
    Lit2 Heavy Repeating Crossbow.

...for when you TR to an Artificer to take advantage of the Ranger past life.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    Lit2 Heavy Repeating Crossbow.

...for when you TR to an Artificer to take advantage of the Ranger past life.
    Indeed.
    But that won't be for a while yet.
    I was planning to TR back to an arti right away, but changed my mind. This toon is too much fun.
    Since I got my capstone I've noticed my damage appears to be higher on average and I'm critting more often.
    I gave the arti in our group a run for his money with the kill count last night in the Spinner of Shadows.