Community Member

Default Can Private Messages be turned off??

Is there a way to turn off Private Messages in game? I do not like getting unsolicited in game messages from people I do not know anymore than I like getting phone calls from telemarketers.

I should state that none of these are harrassing in any way, I just enjoy my quiet time and privacy and would rather not be interupted by people I don't know.

If not, is there a way to limit who can message you to just your friend list?

The Crafting Mogul
    Hero and Host of DDO Chat

Are you referring to Mail or PMs/Tells?

At this time I do not believe there is a way to disable either, however, Mail coming from people NOT in your Guild or Friends list should be added to 'Unconfirmed' where as Guildies, or Friends should show up under 'Confirmed'.

I will check later today to see if there is an option to actually disable tells.
    The Crafting Mogul of Orien!, Yuupppp!! .:. Join The Craze - http://www.ddochat.com
    Proud to be part of what is, sad at the closure of what was, and grateful to have called it home...
    Proudly Canadian, and just providing my $0.02 cents. ($0.025 USD )

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Untitled View Post
    Are you referring to Mail or PMs/Tells?

At this time I do not believe there is a way to disable either, however, Mail coming from people NOT in your Guild or Friends list should be added to 'Unconfirmed' where as Guildies, or Friends should show up under 'Confirmed'.

I will check later today to see if there is an option to actually disable tells.
    Sorry, I meant the Tells, email I can simply ignore or delete. I would rather find a way to turn it off instead of ignoring people when they send me a Tell.

Community Member

you can hide your self from the Who list, that will probably stop most random tells. its a tick box at the bottom of the Who list.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Quote Originally Posted by sk3l3t0r View Post
    Sorry, I meant the Tells, email I can simply ignore or delete. I would rather find a way to turn it off instead of ignoring people when they send me a Tell.
    If you right click on the General Tab or any other tab, you will see 'Incoming'. Click that and uncheck Tells.

That will turn them off.
    My gaming experience began long ago with a red box, six dice, a marker crayon and my imagination.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vikkus View Post
    If you right click on the General Tab or any other tab, you will see 'Incoming'. Click that and uncheck Tells.

That will turn them off.
    This.
    You can use these options to customize what channels will be received in any chat window.

The above doesn't block the tells, it just doesn't show them to you. So some people may wonder why you're not responding to them.

You can set an afk message explaining that you aren't receiving tells. Something like:

/afk I have turned off incoming Tells

And you could set up a single chat tab that you don't normally use to receive incoming tells, so you could maybe check it every now and again to see if you're still getting spammed by strangers.

Why not just select that person and set them on ignore, thus future messages will not be received by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saiyren View Post
    Why not just select that person and set them on ignore, thus future messages will not be received by them.
    Because you can only squelch so many ppl, and the idea anyway is to prevent the tells before they come through, just like having a privacy service on yoru phone.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    And you could set up a single chat tab that you don't normally use to receive incoming tells, so you could maybe check it every now and again to see if you're still getting spammed by strangers.
    If you do this, you still get the *DING* when someone sends you a tell. Probably also defeats the purpose.

I would personally like to see an option to turn off tells in the OPTIONS panel period, just like turning off invites, guild invites, etc. My daughter plays DDO, and I would like to turn off her tells, as anyone that has any actual business talking to her can do so without tells. Other games I have played offer this, for various reasons. I was surprised that DDO does not.

Currently the best "defense" IS to go /anon -- though that also prevents your actual friends (not in your guild) from seeing you online as well.

Sorry, I'll stop.

I just like sending random tells.

My favorite is to /tell some one "Ding!"
    That way they hear "Ding!"
    And when they check chat they see the word "Ding!"

I also like to, right before I log out an Anonymous character, send someone a tell saying "I'm pregnant".

But my favorite is to send someone a tell saying "Check your mailbox real quick!"
    Then I've sent them mail saying "Sorry to bother, but would like to heal normal shroud?"
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

The Crafting Mogul
    Hero and Host of DDO Chat

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    But my favorite is to send someone a tell saying "Check your mailbox real quick!"
    Then I've sent them mail saying "Sorry to bother, but would like to heal normal shroud?"
    OMG, I was drinking coffee when I read this, now I am wearing it! ;p
    The Crafting Mogul of Orien!, Yuupppp!! .:. Join The Craze - http://www.ddochat.com
    Proud to be part of what is, sad at the closure of what was, and grateful to have called it home...
    Proudly Canadian, and just providing my $0.02 cents. ($0.025 USD )

Community Member

Thank you to everyone who replied. Much appreciated !!