Default Occupy vorpal! We are the 95%!

So a fully kitted out character could have a half-dozen different effects firing on a natural 20.
    Yet there are nineteen other numbers on that dice - how about spreading the love?

Close enough
    This weapon is blessed by Dol Dorn, and deals an additional 1d6 force damage on a successful attack roll of a natural 19.

Unlucky for some
    The Traveler has infused this weapon with an unusual curse. When an opponent is struck on a natural 13 attack roll, the target has the [improved] curse spell cast on them.

Better luck next time
    Misfortune strikes even the best warriors; Olladra has blessed this weapon to help even the odds. On an attack roll of a natural 1, this weapon gives the weilder a stacking +1 to-hit bonus, which lasts for 6 seconds.

The possibilities are endless!

I've always wondered why there wasn't a penalty for rolling a "1". Although it's been a long time since I did P&P D&D, I seem to remember that a "1" meant a fumble of some sort, chosen at random from a list on the back of the DM's screen.

I could be mixing my role-playing games up though, but still this idea of yours has merit. If a "20" is a very good thing, a "1" should be a very bad thing.
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they're going and hook up with 'em later on - Mitch Hedberg
    Silverweb - Silverwren - Silverware - Daydream - Dubbelklik

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwren View Post
    I've always wondered why there wasn't a penalty for rolling a "1". Although it's been a long time since I did P&P D&D, I seem to remember that a "1" meant a fumble of some sort, chosen at random from a list on the back of the DM's screen.

I could be mixing my role-playing games up though, but still this idea of yours has merit. If a "20" is a very good thing, a "1" should be a very bad thing.
    the "Fumble" rules was typically a house rule that got accepted into cannon among gamers. When I first started playing, it was a D6 to see what happend with a list like this:

1-2 = Fall down
    3-4 = Hit yourself or someone else in the party (This was broken down, where you then rolled against everyone else's AC and if you did not hit anyone, you hit yourself)
    5-6 = drop your weapon

Later I saw expanded lists, and even some very elaborate ones, going anywhere from insta-killing yourself, to having a chance to fail so hard you killed the mob outright.

Not sure if fumbles should be put in. with how much we have to attack a mob, I swear, the volume of fumbles would be painful to witness, literally. Maybe a "Confirm Fumble" to cut down on their volume would need to be added, and perhaps even a means to mitigate how successfully you fumbled, like a fighter enchantment called "Improved Fumble: Decrease chance to fumble by 10%"

Just saying, but it would be fun to watch a critical spell failure causing a wizard finger of death themselves or cleric to self implode, now that would be funny! Not that a fighter vorpaling themselves would not be funny either mind you

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Not sure if fumbles should be put in. with how much we have to attack a mob, I swear, the volume of fumbles would be painful to witness, literally. Maybe a "Confirm Fumble" to cut down on their volume would need to be added, and perhaps even a means to mitigate how successfully you fumbled, like a fighter enchantment called "Improved Fumble: Decrease chance to fumble by 10%"

Just saying, but it would be fun to watch a critical spell failure causing a wizard finger of death themselves or cleric to self implode, now that would be funny! Not that a fighter vorpaling themselves would not be funny either mind you
    Heh heh! I'm not sure it needs to go quite that far or be that complicated. Keep it simple, like your foot slips on a bloody spot on the floor and you fall down (aka: trip) or your bow string breaks, something like that.

Also, if we as players would be subject to fumbles, so too would be the bad guys. After all, they can do everything to us that we can do to them (trip, sunder, crit, etc) so they should fumble from time to time as well. Might be kind of fun to see a Hobgoblin wind up for a swing and accidentally toss his sword against the wall.
    I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they're going and hook up with 'em later on - Mitch Hedberg

Very clever. SHOW ME MORE.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

I love it. Can see it now. player drops his GS weapon in the middle of a boss fight, aoe's going off everywhere. Poor sucker on his hands and knees trying to find it (newb who doesn't know about q/backspace) cursing the other players who are laughing at him.
    Completionist Lighthardtt Tuisian of Sarlona
    leader, Bridge Burners

"Just another day in pair-o'-dice"

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    the "Fumble" rules was typically a house rule that got accepted into cannon among gamers. When I first started playing, it was a D6 to see what happend with a list like this:

1-2 = Fall down
    3-4 = Hit yourself or someone else in the party (This was broken down, where you then rolled against everyone else's AC and if you did not hit anyone, you hit yourself)
    5-6 = drop your weapon
    Most games I played the house rule on a fumble was a D4

1 = Hit (self or fellow party member)
    2 = Miss (complete miss no harm no foul)
    3 = Drop (weapon is dropped, no save)
    4 = Break (weapon saves or is broken)

Ahh good times and great days on the old fumbles.

THIS is all you need to know about fumble rules.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • One loot system to rule them all. (Including Cannith Crafting, and Named Loot.)
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Adjusting Challenge XP so that they're worth running more than once.

On one of the Neverwinter servers I played in, if you rolled a 1 then you actually dropped your weapon. It happened on disarm too. Was SO funny in PvP to see them oblivious to it and you picking up their weapon. After a lot of people were stealing weapons this way, they changed it so that when you dropped it, it unequipped into your pack.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Silverwren View Post

there was no fumble chart on the offical gm screen fumbles were always something optional in dnd they did print some in dragon magazine and few other places and lots of gms used them.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    there was no fumble chart on the offical gm screen fumbles were always something optional in dnd they did print some in dragon magazine and few other places and lots of gms used them.
    Like I said, it was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I'm probably getting it mixed up with Runequest or some other RPG. We played a few back in the early 80's.

Still, all a "1" means right now is that you miss....always....even if the target isn't moving and it's right in front of you (am I right on this? I think I am). I know it's probably going against the rules but maybe a "1" could mean something more, since a "20" means 2, 3 or even 4 times the normal damage (along with other cool things such as 500 extra points when an AA crits with Slayer arrows).