Free Codes for new account
    +
    99 point sale on first and second expansion
    +
    Everyone welcome into Hardcore
    +
    Earn DDO points for above free expansions by doing quests
    =
    Hmm...Hardcore Season III on a band new account that needs toons leveled up anyway

Nice Combo - Thanks DDO
    coming soon Art and Gaming with Z

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Open Guild for All Founder - Hardcore

I would like to thank DDO for restoring a friend's character.
    I will not forget this favor.

THANK YOU!

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

If you would like to read the adventures of my toon Phoenixi on the Hardcore Season III server, here is a link:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...ee-this-before

It's free to play a new account, using the mechanic path.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

I hesitate to write this, but I finally decided that if this post saves even a single life, then it was worthwhile.

Any information that I don't provide links to facts, simply do a deep internet dive and decide for yourself.
    As always, I try to keep to the ideals of Dolly Parton as much as I can.

Perhaps this post could be titled the tragedy of Hardcore Season II, but the definition of tragedy is a sad ending, and this one has a happy ending...

Some of this information may not make sense at first glance, but looking back in hindsight, it is a puzzle to be put together.

Yesterday, after playing Phoenixi for about two hours, I walked down the driveway.
    Dusk was setting in, and some "birds" were flitting about overhead.
    As is my custom, I told them hello and how pretty they were.
    (Purple Martins love to be talked to, and tend to make several extra swooping fly by runs if you do so.)
    (Animals in general can tell your attitude by the sound of your voice even if they cannot understand English).

These "birds" apparently also like to be talked to and did some very close swoops.
    I got a good enough look to realize that these were not birds; they were bats.

I adore bats because I live in the southern US, which is home to mosquitoes.
    I have worked outdoors in muddy environments that even deep woods off could not protect me from mosquito bites. Vanilla Extract does help for about two hours per application in these conditions.

Disney's Animal Kingdom has an exhibit with bats and promotes a nonaggressive stance towards these creatures for their bug-killing appetite.

I have never gotten sick from being in proximity to bats, and I truly believe that living around bats will not make you sick; these animals will prevent mosquito-borne diseases. (You are going to have to dive deep if you don't believe me and decide for yourself. Please don't harm bats.)

On March 29, 2020, I made this post:
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post6310109

Here is the background:
    While avoiding contact with others, I received an international package that was an accessory for an import item. Until it arrived, I did not realize the origin of this package.

I left the package outside for a few hours. I used gloves to very carefully open the outer box. I left my gloves on the driveway and opened the inner box by hand. I did not touch my face. I removed the contents and placed them upon the driveway. I moved the boxes to the back of the garage. I washed my hands for a long time. I moved the contents to the cellar. I washed my hands for a long time.

I started getting sick a few hours later, including vomiting and diarrhea. At that point, I realized that my strong precautions were not enough. I logged unto the internet long enough to delete any toons that were leadership positions in guilds. Then I locked up the entire building for a month and a half.

I was not around anyone during this period other than my Mom, who oddly enough only got mildly ill.

After 24 hours, I recovered.

All this would seem odd to most people, but let us look carefully at the virus.

The virus is an animal virus.
    Your body does not recognize it as being hostile at first.
    Even when your body sounds the red alert, the identification is still unclear, and your body will accidentally attack widescale, including your good organs. I will return to this point later on.

There is no way I could have such an immediate reaction unless my body had already identified the virus. Which means, yes, I must have already had it.

At a certain place in the world, there was a very huge spike of cell phone activity, followed by zero activity during October 6 to 23th of 2019, following by another very huge spike of cell phone activity. This actually gives us a timeline. (If you don't believe me do a deep dive and decide for yourself.)

My point is that my Mom has claimed for a long time that she already had the virus, but that was last year.
    (Some morticians in our area, back up this claim, theorizing about certain cases.)

Last year, we visited a neighboring state and went to a place that was a lot of shopping traffic from far away. We stayed there quite a while, touching items and being around people.

Dayes passed. I am not sure how many, but we did not go anywhere else.

My Mom began to have trouble breathing. We went to our medical caretaker. She was given a steroid shot, steroid pills, antibiotics, and anti=bronchitis medicine.

She got better.
    (At first glance, this does not make sense, but I have found multiple sources that confirm that when your body finally discovers that virus, antibiotics will help calm your body down and prevent it from attacking itself. Steroids are a boost of life, which helps for any severe health problem and could extra help an elderly person who lacks youthful vitality.)

She still had trouble breathing after the medicine took its course.
    (We did breathing exercises-deep breath all in, deep breath all out a dozen times. She took Mucinex every 12 hours and went thru enough that I ordered more.)

She told me after a while that I caught whatever she had and encouraged me to go to the clinic. I felt that I could shake it off and started on Mucinex and deep breathing, along with a lot of rest without seeing the clinic.

We stayed at home away from people. We recovered. We were both weaker than before. We both had a cough that came every once in a while. The cough is gone, but we are still avoiding people.

We both had no idea what this was.

My Mom is in the highest risk category of all due to her age. She is alive and well. I stopped playing DDO to make sure she had lots of care and attention. We still play hallmark movies and listen to uplifting songs from Disney and hallmark type moves. Hope is the greatest of the gifts we receive....

I think it is important to note that the virus is an animal disease, and our family has lived in rural areas. I have been around horses, cows, dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, armadillos, bats, bobcats, foxes coyotes, raccoons, opossum, red birds, purple martins, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, trout, etc.

I believe I caught a traveling sickness from a dog, which was mild, but potentially helpful to make my body realize that there are things out there other than human diseases.

All this contact with animals likely improved our chances of recovery. (I have zero proof on this point, but it makes sense.)

Time passed.
    We went until May 1st making our groceries last, and now a friend brings our groceries and drops them off at our front door. I do miss being around people, so if you see me on DDO as a chatterbox, well, you understand.

I purchase domestic from local stores when possible, and I am now proud that I have spent too much money on DDO, which is headquartered in Boston.

Fawngate is undeleted (never delete, I am a bad example) thanks to customer service and back in her guild today.

If you get the virus, you can beat the odds; we did without the fancy cures that you will have available. If you get the virus a second time, it will be brief and you will recover.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-13-2020 at 05:22 AM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

I am going to try this out:

Quote Originally Posted by axel15810 View Post

Wow, this works very nicely.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-08-2020 at 01:49 AM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Nice update thank you:

Quote Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post
    As announced in the 2020 Producers Letter early this year the next expansion will be taking players to the Feywild and is tentatively scheduled to be released later this year.

With the feywild expansion the next playable heroic race is expected to be Shifters alongside an Iconic Barbarian Shifter. We don't have specific dates to announce yet other than to say they are both currently expected to be released later this year.

The next content update was recently featured on the Lamannia preview server. It is expected to include Legendary versions of 3 raids (with new cap level loot) as well as a single new quest in the Searing Heights. Update 47 is expected to be released this summer.

We have yet to announce anything about any potential next/new classes.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

A long time ago, when the Developers introduced Past Racial Lives (well maybe not so long ago) if you read this thread, Fawngate went very fast thru most of hers. There is a story behind that.

An even longer time ago, I tried farming and failed, partly because it is hard, and you have to be very smart and partly because I did not have the startup for it.
    Old Tractor wanted to overheat, which means engine trouble.

And I did some landscaping of sorts, which went better.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time outdoors.

Have you ever seen Star Wars Rogue One?
    The blind man who is one with The Force?
    Well, that is what started happening to me.
    But we caught it in time, and there was a new surgery that my eye doctor used.

Since time was of the essence, I asked him to do both eyes at once.
    He said it would smart.
    I said it is ok.

He did a great job, and I have excellent eyesight and fully healed.

As I recovered, I spent a fair amount of time listening to TV with my eye closed.
    It hurt less with my eyes closed.
    Super annoying trying to find anything.

I gained about 10 lbs, which I had to lose later.
    Eating kind of blocks pain, I guess or whatever.

I fixed up a pair of glasses with an eyepatch on my left eye, and eventually got some orange computer glasses.

When I did try DDO, it was too hard on my eyes to play for very long.
    TheraTears Eye Drops for Dry Eyes helped a lot.

So, then one day, DDO had a double points sale.
    So, I bought a bundle, then another bundle.
    At this point, DDO locks you out of more purchases for X days.
    But I waited till almost the end of the sale and bought the third bundle.

Maybe I made a few daily rolls, but I did not spend much time playing.

It turns out my health insurance, which I pay too much for each month, decided not to pay a dime for my surgery.
    Silly rules.
    That was the first time I asked them for any money back.

So, time passed, and everyone else was like, grind out those past racial lives.
    Then DDO put Otto's Boxes in the store.
    And I bought a lot of them.
    Not sure how many, but if someone wants to do the math, three big bundles of double bonus points would buy how many heroic Otto's Boxes along with a 50% XP pot for each box?

<Edit - that many DDO points will buy you around 18 Heroic Otto's Boxes which would be enough to do half the racial lives via Boxes.>

Anyway, that is the largest purchase of Otto's Boxes that I have ever done.
    Perhaps a vice, but much better than turning to pain killers or the like.
    That first six hours after surgery was something else, but then I went to sleep for a bit, and things got better.

So, while my eyes healed up, I logged in and removed (via sentient weapon food) enough of my magical items (this was Phoenix event two) to not have to farm out bank and backpack favor.

That is why Fawngate has only 55 reaper points yet all past racial lives.

With all those Otto's Boxes, I stopped counting Lives on Fawngate, although maybe I should have kept counting.
    So, don't feel bad; if reading thru this, you see a massive burst of lives suddenly during the past racial lives.

For the rest of her lives, I joined whatever group was available.
    Perhaps that is one thing that keeps me from burning out, the variety of choices.

I sent my eye doctor a gift each year because I am delighted that I am not blind.
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-12-2020 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Grammarly to the rescue

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote of the week:

Quote Originally Posted by Kristii View Post
    I took a level 10 character today and tried to enter the three Cannith challenges that have lvl 4 difficulties. I was able to enter all three of them on level 4.

Edit: A veteran Hardcore player provided this very helpful information on another thread yesterday:

"Challenges are +4 over what they are in the lfm panel. Start to make a lfm and find the challenge in the list. Add 4 to that level. It is max level 10/15/19 because they are level 6/11/15+ in the lfm panel."

That makes sense since I can take a lvl 10 into a lvl 4 challenge. I just barely made the cutoff.
    &

Quote Originally Posted by J1NG View Post
    This isn't quite accurate either believe it or not.

A Reaper can be spawned on:

If a targetable and attackable enemy that can respond (hence why Frogs can spawn enemies as they are targetable for attack) is:

* Attacking (It doesn't need to do damage to trigger, appears to be on each attack made)
    * Being Attacked (no damage needs to be done to trigger, just attacking something can trigger)
    * On recognising threat (player, hence why its possible to invis past frogs but walk by them non-invis'd and a reaper can spawn and why vibra-sense is stupid since it can cascade enemies and then more reaper spawns)
    * On death (which is why killing enemies can spawn Reapers)
    * On spawn (on dungeon entry)

J1NG

& my favorite quote of July:

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnbeimnech View Post
    yup, the wish spell exists in game already as a plot device rather than a learnable spell.

Wish scroll would be a quest item within the raid.

Raid might go something like;
    fight tarrasque until it is subdued but be unable to kill it
    elminster shows up and tells the party to head into his cellar and get a wish scroll
    kill waves of giant spiders and animated brooms until we get to the scroll
    then return to fight the tarrasque again
    once it is down to negative hp, someone wishes the tarrasque dead with a umd check of 100 elite 120 reaper

fin

edit, I forgot the waves of floor tile puzzles in there somewhere
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-18-2020 at 02:04 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

I am now of the opinion that a "final build" using an iconic race is inferior to a "final build" using a normal race.
    Mostly because it allows one to use the DDO Store Products: Wish for <insert new race here> Memories or a +20 lesser heart (which could cost about double what a Memory item costs and is limited to seasonal sales).

This gives one the option to jump-start the first life of any new race included within new expansions (which could be expected every 18-24 months?

Given the problematic dilemma of creating a class distinction between a new class and existing classes, it is more likely that we will see a new race than a new class, although Psionic Classes would open up new doors if one can create a new "magic system" therein. The current Spell Point System is actually a D&D variation introduced modeled after the Psionic System in the book Unearthed Arcana. Players have suggested some sort of KI like system of regenerating points perhaps in a different color might work.

Which race is best, well a humorous discussion could include this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLO5ecZXYdg

Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-18-2020 at 03:40 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote of the month:

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanKiller13 View Post
    There's an Offline LFM Viewer that might save you a bunch of hassle lol.
    Wow, a site to bookmark and visit!
    Thank you, this is awesome.

THTH was a huge hit to most raiders lol. I'm in a guild that does teaching runs for new players, and despite raiding on like 5 days/week we don't do THTH.

By the time THTH is reasonably puggable, it'll be powercreeped out
    I have always kept to the theory that all raids on normal should have a strong completion ratio when attempted by a random group of players participating with toons that are at level cap using reasonably good tactics.

I am disappointed with the Sharn raids due to this reason and lag issues.
    Hence, I returned to Korthos with Fawngate to seek out a simpler gaming style.

I do wonder if all of Sharn dungeons (which the Devs confessed admitted is purposefully more difficult) will be increased by two levels when the expansion arrives, or if they are calibrated two level higher than rated?

If we do get 40+ epic destiny points to spend with the future revision of Epic Destinies, then such foresight will be very justified.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-22-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

I recently read thru a post discussing lag issues and that a character can have unremoved buffs stick to their toon and cause a sort to data inflation on their toon, which will make it harder and harder to load that toon. Eventually, the toon will suffer lag issues. Restarting the servers is said by that post to cure the problem till it builds up again.

(We have seen debuffs stick to a toon, forcing a relog to remove.)

When I was on the Player's Council, I pressed very firmly (but polite) for weekly restarts, citing that WotC's Magic the Gathering Online (and other games) used this technique). I am sure that I was not the only one who favored that change. Thank you, Devs, for implementing this.

This theory has merit in my eyes, as I have seen cases where certain buffs would be sticking on my buff bar with zero time left upon them, right where I could see this. The sticking buff situation was also accompanied by lag issues.

Character data bloat would explain why at times, during raiding, my toon would not properly load into the game, and all the treasure chests and portals would take forever to appear. Monsters would attack me while I could not see them.

Playing long hours each day could appear to increase this problem.
    Having cycling buffs cycling continuously could appear to increase this problem.
    Having a lot of temporary buffs could appear to increase this problem.
    Having lots of extra equipment buffs or extra past lives could appear to increase this problem.

I have noticed that the conversion of Season's Herald druid tree to provide toggle on/off seasonal buffs instead of cycling seems to have decreased the amount of overall lag experienced by me when playing a druid.

The developers did change the https://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Spiral...f_the_Elements
    during an update with an effort to reduce lag, making me wonder about using this weapon.

It could be best not to stack potions on top of each other, such as 10%, along with 30%.

Perhaps one could not renew ship buffs in situations that don't require full power.

Perhaps one could avoid playing long hours on a toon that they also intend to use for seriously raiding (in the same week).

It is possible before playing a Paladin, Enlighten Spirit Warlock or Swashbuckler Bard, one should analyze the situation and consider what other buffs are being placed upon a toon and how long one intends to play this toon per day.

Periodically restarting the game could also be helpful.

It is comforting to hope that some of the awful lag that I experienced in the past may have been caused by this issue and is cured by a server reset.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Today I will talk about Gargoyles and Rainbows.

https://ddowiki.com/page/Gargoyle_race
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Rainbow_in_the_Dark

My Mom is a retired architect.

Growing up, I heard comments about how beautiful a particular building was and also how ugly another build was, granting me insight into this world that not everyone might be exposed to

I did return to college to study drafting, and this included some architectural studies. As I was walking into a classroom, I noticed there was a poster on the wall, "Architecture is Art for Life."

Buildings are forms of art. Yes, a three-dimensional structure of art, but art technique applied nevertheless. (There is also moving performing arts (plays/dance/songs), two-dimensional visual arts (painting/drawing/printing), writing arts (storytelling, DMing, playwright), three-dimensional crafting arts, decorating and interior design.

We might not have Gargoyles in D&D if The Hunchback of Notre-Dame had not been written. I will refrain from spoiling the whole plot as it's very likely that most people have or will have seen a version of this story via book or film.

Victor Hugo went to great lengths in describing the architecture of Notre-Dame as well as its need for restoration, which spurred the public to appreciate and help.

One of the main limiting factors of architecture is understanding and knowing the limits of the materials you have available to use.

If I were to oversimplify, one could say:
    Stone and concrete have excellent compression strength but weak tensile strength.
    Conversely, Wood and Metal have weak compression strength but muscular tensile strength.
    Compression strength is the ability to withstand significant amounts of pressure pushing straight down on an object.
    Tensile strength is the ability to withstand twisting, pulling, and unsupported pressure.

Stone is ordinarily unable to be used for large spans or in any situation that puts twisting pressure upon it. These situations are typically reserved for wood and metal.

Notre-Dame was built very long ago.

As you can see in the picture below, the Architects figured out ways to manipulate the placement of stone to convert tensile pressure into compression pressure, thereby playing to the strength of stone while also enhancing the beautiful art but conserving resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-...rale.Paris.png

Even the Gargoyle statues serve a practical purpose as drains to move water away from the building's roofs while at the same time proving artistic touches.

The concept of Vaulted Arches inside this building is also found in the Hoover Dam. As you can see from the picture below, the stone is laid in such a way as to convert tensile pressure into compression pressure. In an Engineering course, I studied the mathematics of a curved dam. I can tell you that this significantly changes the amount of water pressure that it can withstand (pressure increases with the water depth).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover...r_Dam_4774.jpg

A lot of mornings, my family listens to songs (we are still avoiding people), including songs from the movie: Christmas Harmony (which has some references to cathedrals, healing lonely hearts, lifting spirits, etc.)

Once a week or so, we look on the internet for new pictures of Notre-Dame, hoping that it will be rebuilt.

Although the massive oak beams supporting the roof were complex architecture masterpieces, the roof itself is not nearly as important as the sheer genius of the stonework beneath it.

The many Rose Windows increase the complexity and beauty of the building and make it a classic example to inspire future architecture. Combining glass material with stone material is another incredible design feature as glass has little structural value.

Notre-Dame is the sort of architecture one might expect in a D&D campaign setting featuring an Elf or Dwarf civilization.

Fires tend to be very hard to put out underneath a metal roof, as the metal holds and redirects the heat inward like an oven and prevents water from being sprayed. It is a miracle that the firefighters saved most of the rose windows and the organ.

This post is long enough, so I will save Rainbows for the next post...

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Rainbow in the Dark is a dungeon in the classic Vale Pack.
    https://ddowiki.com/page/Rainbow_in_the_Dark
    Rainbow puzzle: Simply jump on each button until it's lit in the color desired. With the door in front of you, starting on the left end: set the colors to Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. (For players who are colorblind or have monitors with poor color resolution, an on-screen caption will display the color you've just set.)

Rainbows occur in nature, and one can occasionally view a rainbow from the harbor of DDO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by wiki
    A rainbow is not located at a specific distance from the observer, but comes from an optical illusion caused by any water droplets viewed from a certain angle relative to a light source. Thus, a rainbow is not an object and cannot be physically approached. Indeed, it is impossible for an observer to see a rainbow from water droplets at any angle other than the customary one of 42 degrees from the direction opposite the light source. Even if an observer sees another observer who seems "under" or "at the end of" a rainbow, the second observer will see a different rainbow—farther off—at the same angle as seen by the first observer.
    Perhaps its very nature might make a Rainbow ethereal?
    Or akin to:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sound of Music
    How do you catch a cloud and pin it down? How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?
    One might have to understand a rainbow to make it a mascot.

The most commonplace that I encounter rainbows is when I open up Corel Painter or Adobe Photoshop and start using the Color Picker Tool.

In Corel Painter, this is a typical color wheel circle with a tinting/shading triangle inside. By combining these two tools, a few taps of a Wacom Pen will yield an almost infinite number of colors. The simple arrangement places millions of colors together in perfect Harmony. Artists often leave this tool open while digitally painting a picture.

I feel the word Harmony is akin to rainbows. Rainbow is the only format where all the colors exist side by side without competing or interfering with each other. If I were to quote My Little Pony "Friendship is Magic",
    its a place where all the different Ponies happily get along with each other despite their differences.

In contrast, if one paired "complementary" colors together: Red & Green; Yellow & Purple; and Blue & Orange, something very different happens. These color pairings provide the maximum contrast possible. Holidays and Team Uniforms often make use of the start contrast to stand out. Red & Green are often associated with December; Yellow+Purple & Blue+Orange are popular team colors. If one shifts the blue to dark navy, one ends up with Orange+Black for October. While these are grand color schemes, they lack the finesses of a rainbow.

Slightly tangent, a perfect form of White is a coating that reflects 100% of all light striking an object. An example might be the Hubble Telescope Mirror, which might enable us to view an entirely black object which absorbs all light that strikes, thus in the form of a Black Hole, which is possibly the most potent force in the universe.

If a little girl asked for rainbows on her wall, one might wonder if this is an unconscious wish for Peace on Earth and Goodwill towards Man (and Womankind). With that in her heart, she would not have room for attacking those that are different than herself.

One of my favorite episodes of Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon was "Valley of the Unicorns" which featured a rainbow misty waterfall hiding the unicorns.

Also, Presto has one of his rare moments of competence as a low-level Wizard during the episode:
    Presto: Well, that should do it. Venger should be here any minute-
    Venger: Where?
    Presto: Right here! Don't you think- [finally notices him; screams]
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 07-24-2020 at 08:54 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Design philosophy quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    For the record, this does not factor into our design and balance. F2P options should be equally as viable as earned options which should be equally as viable as paid options.
    ;;;;

I am alternating between Hardcore & Khyber, although I do feel that setting up my new accounts accomplished my Hardcore goals for this season.
    Time will tell.

Fawngate is level 8 halfling druid:

Augment Summoning (free feat swap available)
    Completionist
    Maximum Metamagic

Concentration, Spellcraft, Heal, UMD (some points in jump/balance/tumble)
    Equipment is random gear with little concern except deathblock and electric spellpower

Running R1 atm with level 3 and level 8 cleric hires
    Winter Wolf Form with Maximize applied to all four SLA.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Folks, if you have any build/technical questions, I am always happy to help you.
    Feel free to post in this thread, send a mail via forums, or send me a tell via in-game.
    (Usually, the first thing I do is peek at https://ddowiki.com/page/Home )
    Sometimes I log in (which shows any mail) without posting.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

I watched a video last night that impressed me.
    While I will still keep my Dolly Parton philosophy, if I could help just one person by sharing a few things, this afternoon would be worthwhile.

<turns on Grammary>

The man talking was discussing how he handles social anxiety, and congratulations to him for his one and half million views.

He had quite a few topics, but the first one was advice from an older lady: You don't have to talk, just listen. People love to talk about themselves. If you don't understand, tell them, "I don't understand what the #$%%%^$$# you are talking about." People will bring the conversation down to layman's terms. This advice helped him a whole lot (one should respect older females-remember what happened in Beauty and the Beast).

People don't care about what they think about you; they care about what you feel about themselves. Yes, that is selfish, but it's also basic survival. Flip the whole process upside down (D&D Cartoon - "The circle must be broken").

I am going to break off from his video advice for a moment, and give you some flip insight about me. I am an artist/writer/draftsman/photographer with a degree in common sense. I know without a doubt what will happen to anything that I paint, write, or build. Humanity instinctively has two reactions to anything that I strive to do: Admiration or Destruction. Any person who has ever worn a uniform holds in their hand my only hope for my small legacy. Thank you!

We all think differently; I read differently than most people. (I need to make a video someday on my reading style because there is another way to learn to read beside Phonetics). <Pardon my typos in this thread, its all part of my reading methods>.) Don't let people tell you how I think just because I am a civilian. Never assume.

I do stare at people in uniform. Please don't assume that it is because I hate you. I stare at trees. I stare at buildings, I stare at clouds. I stare at birds. I stare at the fruit. I pause movies so I can stare at the perfect composition or the painting behind the sofa. I stare sunrises. You are not exclusive in my kind stares.

Civilians are insecure. We have not been in combat—a robust silent person like you is a pillar of hope for us. Your very existence helps us. Most of us have never faced our greatest fears. Don't let our facade faze you. I know what will happen to me if civilization falls apart. My role in life leaves me vulnerable. I am trusting, tolerant, expressive, and a bringer of hope. Hope is mighty. Those who starve for power fear me.

Back to the video, where this man talked about making sure he had a way out: no uber, no taxi, no ride-sharing. I am not in your shoes, but this is a basic 101 life theory for me. So I completely understand. This is my motto too: Bring your own car/truck and have a buddy system.

He also talked about having a safe word for social anxiety with someone you can trust. He trusts his fiance. I am glad that he found a lady that he can depend on to help him. Good for him! She knows that when he gives the code word that it is time to leaves right now. Codes are not uncommon. People use systems with close friends for many reasons.

He talked about not drinking because it costs your way out. You are vulnerable when you are drunk, and all your emotions will be unchecked. He demonstrated by pouring bubble water in a glass, showing how easy it is to look the role without playing the part. Most movie sets, people never eat or drink the "props." Like I have said before, people care about what you think about them, they don't give a flip about what you eat or drink. Smile, nod, and listen, and people will think you are the most fabulous person in the room. People respect values that they don't understand, as long as you are not judging them.

I talk to animals. No one judges me for that, because they can see that I know how to express myself to animals to comfort and calm. I am confident in myself by accepting others and valuing others. <I have lived in rural America my whole life, but that is another post.>

If you are a fellow and want to find a lady that you can befriend and form a relationship with, don't go to a bar. There are a ton of ladies if you know where to look them. Go to the grocery store, the craft store, the bank, the library, the laundromat, the mall, department stores, etc. Females adore Hallmark Channel. They grew up drawing hearts all over their notebooks in elementary school. They are the MASTERS of social stuff. If you find one that is not selfish, they will pave the way for you.

Whoever/whatever started this world has a wicked sense of humor. While females are weaker than males, they excel at survival - what a paradox! Research - if four females and four males get lost on a snowy mountaintop, and tell me how many came home? You can bet the farm that more females than males survived. Their survival is not thru treachery; its the laws of nature itself in play.

To survive, a good female has to master social situations. They want teamwork. Talk to them. Open up. They want to help; your mere presence is a powerful force. You can be their greatest ally. Little girls adore ponies and grow up admiring horses. Horses are big and strong like you. (If you don't think that you are strong, just hold your hand palm to palm with a female - notice the difference in size?)

Females want attention, admiration, and affection. You don't have to be perfect, just treat them with respect. Don't raise your voice at them, and when you do say you are sorry and try not to do it again. Part of their survival is vamoosing when power is not on their side.

I am not sure if any of this helped, but if you have ever worn a uniform, remember DDO can block out your brain, talking to a friend can help, and without you I am in deep, deep trouble.

Thank you for who you are and what you do.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

One of the many things that I like about D&D is its perspective on City vs. Country, or more commonly known as Clerics vs. Druids.

Often Movie Writers who are looking for conflict go astray when using this theme. The writers use a Home team vs. Visitor team approach with the Visitors performing foolish mistakes while the Home team is critical. Heroic Comedy places the Hero and Heroine in boxed situations, which forces smart thinking. Tammy and the Bachelor is a movie series that takes the City vs. Country theme correctly, by forcing the Heroine down absolute paths and showing how she wisely deals with her new environment.

I watched a video about a Philippian Lady who came to America to help with a teacher shortage as a high school math teacher. She arrived in a rural area, quite different than the big cities like New York and Los Angeles that one might hear about from an international viewpoint. A bit of perspective, the population density of the Phillippians is 357 people per Kilometer Squared, while the population density of America is 35 people per Kilometer Squared. Even Western Europe has a more significant population density of 180 people per Kilometer Squared.

So, for the sake of everyone not living in Rural America (or any other rural location, I will share.

Do I own a fancy belt buckle, snazzy cowboy hat, and shiny cowboy boots?

This question is a bit bigger than it looks.

Rural people do a lot of outside activity, which results in clothes getting dirty/muddy/buggy/oily/dusty. Because of this habit of brushing against nature regularly, rural people tend to have a mudroom/laundry room with a set of clothes nearby. These clothes become faded and torn over time. (No need to buy torn jeans, it happens automatically.) One can easily understand the reluctance of a rural person to appear in public wearing such clothes.

So, rural people usually have three pairs of clothes: outdoor work, town, and formal wear. The latter of which may depend upon life events such as past weddings, funerals, and other life-changing celebrations.

Unlike a suburban or city dweller who might simply grab the car keys and walk out the door when someone suggests "let's go the store," this rural person will change out of their old work clothes first. Their "town clothes" can be fancier than typical since these clothes receive less wear and washing than average. Hence a rural person arriving in town is going to appear more dressed up than the typical city dweller. Whether this includes fancy cowboy boots or one of the many European folk costumes will depend upon the region and the occasion.

The complexity of party wear by rural folks is because rural folks' outdoor work clothes become torn over many piles of washing. New clothes became replacements for these worn-out clothes. The new garments disappear into the mud-room closets and, in turn, are replaced by more new garments with a practical eye towards functionality.

Lace and silk are the height of civilization, perhaps an indicator that a country is not at war. But rural folks face a constant battle of the power of the wilderness. For these people, lace is a material for the very back of a closet reserved for life-changing events, such as a wedding, graduation, or a christening. This is the start of folklore customs that prefer more solid materials but can still be very decorative (perhaps even with leftover ribbons).

The environment will play a substantial role in choices; for example, I received a pair of Wellington's for a Christmas present one year. Wellington's are slip-on, knee height, round toe, heeled rubber boots with a top strap. Compare to cowboy boots that are slip-on calf height, pointed toe, heeled leather boots being less desirable due to hefty dew from the Ocean, canals, and nearby lakes. It would not have surprised me if someone had gifted me wooden shoes because our land had a lot of muck on it.

Rural people have less contact with other humans, and as such, one tends to be shyer, more helpful, and happier to see another person. If you get stranded in Alaska, anyone who happens by will almost certainly help you. (War-torn countries might throw this philosophy away). Since a rural person is more excited about a party, dinner outing, or another event, they are more likely to dress up with their "newer clothes," which could consist of a rambling folklore ensemble.

Rural folks tend to know their neighbors. They are more likely to wave at traffic.

Rural folks sometimes grow food in various forms, which wildlife can view as a natural, free meal that they deserve to take. I was watching a movie on my computer about two months ago and suddenly heard about ten rounds of small-caliber rifle fire. Having watched too much news of late, I wondered if I should call the sheriff, so I stepped out the door and listened. The shots started back up two at a time till their twenty round magazine was empty. There was a lot of barking, yapping, and yipping. I knew from the direction, that neighbor owned cows and was defending his cattle from coyotes. I knew he held a 223, so all was well with the world. Frankly, I am not real impressed with a 223, but a lot of people are, which is fine. It certainly would work well against coyotes. Gunfire is very distinctive and easy to differentiate. Shotguns have a booming sound; hunting rifles have a mighty loud noise; small caliber centerfire rifles have a mini sound version of the hunting rifles, and pistols have their own distinctive, less powerful, and less booming sound.

The inevitable conflict with nature is ever possible for a rural person. Just a week ago, while moving a bug zapper to underneath a building, I noticed a snake with suspicious markings circled up along a two by six support board. I went around the snake and to the garage, where I keep a readily available shovel. After a second of thought, I grabbed a rake as well. Walking back in and avoiding the head height snake, I crept up, reached with the rake, and pulled him down. Surprisingly, the snake did not move. I dropped the rake and wielded the shovel with both hands, placing the blade firmly on his neck, applying pressure, and cutting off his head. As I walked the head over to the bushes to toss away, it opened its very white mouth. Yes, it was a cottonmouth moccasin that was docile due to Karma and a full tummy. I cleaned up the rest and washed the shovel off, thankful that I was protected.

When faced with land clearing (nature can be vigorous), I tend to pile up trees and brush to let thus rot. I do agree that specific mountainous terrains should be left alone due to the possible erosion of centuries of topsoil. Still, the places that I have lived in nature only need a decade to recall anything left alone. I have found that stumps and tree trunks are much more difficult to remove by fire than people imagine. Therefore anytime I hear of massive timbers inside a historic building lit on fire by smoldering cigar or electrical shortages, I am very suspicious. Rural people understand fire because they have used fire for cooking and as a tool for land clearing. (Yes, I had a permit.)

Trees, brush, and grass surrounds rural people. It is a way of life. Instead of a lone tree in a small park surrounded by houses, there is a lone house in a small yard surrounded by trees. I don't know if society will ever figure out a way to stop the world from using trees as pulp and lumber, but if that time ever comes, then landowners will stop planting and growing trees. People like to have their land doing something marginally profitable if only to offset real estate taxes. It would be ironic if to stop the world from cutting down trees; policies can into the place that made all landowners feel unmotivated to plant trees, creating a treeless world.

Trees grow old. There are a few trees out there that last a century, but most do not. I cut down a Dogwood Tree a few months ago that was very old and noble but dying. The middle of the truck had rotted with a hole more significant than my fist.

The land can only support so many things at the same time. We also had five other Dogwoods that were all dying due to lack of water and nutrition. I cut down the middle two, and the three that are left and healthy and happy now. I guess I was a tree killer and savior at the same time.

I can understand when humanity rolls acres of concrete and pavement that the natural cry could become "Save the Grand Old Tree" located in the middle of a city. An elf druid might view the whole town as unnatural and shake his head at the "race that breeds like rabbits."

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

By the way, basic melee build's heroic feats usually always consist of these five feats:

Three of a weapon fighting group taking Improved and Greater Versions as level allows.
    Two-Handed Fighting
    or Two-Weapon Fighting
    or Single Weapon Fighting
    or Natural Fighting x3

One Improved Critical (insert weapon type here) <Monks use Bludgeon

One Combat Stance
    Precision, Power Attack, or Combat Expertise

Along with possible other special attack feats such as Improved Trip, Improved Sunder, or Stunning Blow (Fighter?)

Along with possible weapon bonus feats such as Knight's Training or Swords to Plowshares.

Along with possible Cleave and Great Cleave (Two-Handed Fighting group)

Along with possible Quicken Spell (Pally or Bard)

Along with possible class bonus feats

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

A long time ago, I read thru a few excellent chess books.

There is a particular notation inside these books of chess moves listed.
    Occasionally, the record keeper will leave ! or ? after the move listed.

In this thread and on these forums, I have occasionally used this notation without explanation.
    With youtube and twitch commentary, these notations might have even gone away, so I will explain what they meant in the past:

Nothing = typical move
    ! = good move
    !! = great move
    !!! = absolutely genius move
    ? = poor move
    ?? = huge mistake
    ??? = terrible move likely to cost the game
    !? = risky move, the opponent, has good options but might fall into a trap
    ?!? = highly questionable poor move that does have a possibly brilliant line
    !?! = high risk and high reward, potentially great or awful

So, if you see me in the past using some of these notations, I am probably commenting on the validity of my statement.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

I have changed my mind on spell components and ranged ammo.

Recently, I have complained a bit on my hardcore thread about running out of bolts, not trying to change things but observing that a new toon on a new F2P account does have space issues, which is typical.

Then last night, I watched a movie with a very unrealistic scene:
    Good guy hides in the cellar after dealing with thugs inside the house; bad guys outside the house move towards the house, firing continuous automatic fire for over a minute towards the building without changing clips or belts.

A bit of math to put things into perspective: the M16 machine gun has a rate of fire of 800 rounds per minute, but only holds 20 or 30 shots inside a clip. If you fire the whole clip full auto (will give them the 30 round clip), it will last exactly two and one-quarter seconds. If you fire any weapon for over a minute without pause, there is a clear and present danger of melting the barrel if you do so multiple times in the same hour.

The A-10 Warthog has a Gatlin gun design to spread out the heat and wear over multiple barrels. The pilot knows to use bursts of shots, not a continuous fire. The 30 mm gun is air-cooled, and its belt feeds many more rounds than any clip could hold.

The John Wick movie series is popular.
    I wonder if one of the reasons is their careful realist ammo count. The hero often reloads his clip, even claiming clips from fallen foes. If a gun would hold x rounds, the hero never fires more than x rounds. One of the plot lines is walking into a firefight with only y rounds (trying not to spoil the plot) and watching the hero deal with that limitation.

Since Joh Wick is famous and part of that popularity is due to realistic ammo count, I am asking the Devs to keep the current ammo/spell component inventory systems in place.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 08-01-2020 at 02:21 PM.

Page 140 of 141 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141 LastLast