Page 20 of 112 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast

Just did a goggle of "disney takeover of hasbo" and found quite a few rumors.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing if it happens?

Well, take a look at the Canadian Royal Mounted Police.
    Who did they go to for protection of their "brand name" ~ just the largest, strongest
    copywrite brand name protector in the world ~ Disney.

Take a look at WotC (who owns D&D) and some of their off brands such as the Neo Pets
    Trading Card game. If WotC (or a parent company) had actually owned Neo Pets instead of
    having to license it, things would have been much stronger.

D&D has a rich, strong, vibrant lore and legacy. Just like Star Wars and Marvel.
    Disney likes to make sure they always have haunted/ghostly stuff,
    they do up halloween big at the Magic Kingdom. Everyone knows about the Haunted Mansion.

Hasbro is a toy company along with the strong WotC printing company. The more WotC has
    available to run thru their printers, the better. Nobody in this world understands role playing games
    and trading card games like WotC. Their staff is excellant.

As long as things stay in the PG comfort zone, Disney will be happy to work with D&D, Marvel, and Star
    Wars. IMHO, DDO is indeed sitting well inside the PG comfort zone.

I like the thought that if WotC printers were sitting idle, Disney could order up a set of Princess Playing Cards.
    I like the thought of WotC having access to sssssssooooooo many, many, many products without worrying
    about license fees/problems.

Superhero Trading Card//Roleplaying games?!?

DDO has a huge advantage over WOW in the rich, rich background of D&D.

Disney artists watch all sorts of animation, they all have seen the Dungeons and Dragons cartoons.

Nobody can market D&D//Star Wars//Marvel like Disney can.
    Lucas did not have to sell, he wanted to sell to Disney for the same reason the Canadian Mounted
    Police came to Disney for help, to protect their legacy.

A couple comments on that:

1) WoTC has not done a good job with D&D from a game development standpoint. 4th Edition is a nightmare.

2) DDO is owned by Warner Brothers. They are not partners with Disney. The two have been suing each other recently over Wizard of Oz IP as well as Batman merchandising. Disney also recently hired WB's COO to be the head of the studios. Not sure this is a cozy as you are thinking.
    Asheras - Velania - Ventarya - Renvar - Vallorynn - Officer - Loreseekers and Sentinels Guilds - Khyber

Community Member

Yup, sorry im slow typing back :P a couple people had tried talking me into a completionist build.... well *started a completionist build*

Barb life now, so might not be raid farming, but made 22 on my (not so gimp anymore) sorc, anem is lightninbugg, khyber

Community Member

another WotC game, probably THEE coolest game besides ddo, is magic the gathering, online and trading card game. SUPER!!

Community Member

1) WoTC has not done a good job with D&D from a game development standpoint. 4th Edition is a nightmare.
    Now, I don't intend to get into a lengthy discussion about 4th ed, but from the right perspective I disagree. 4th ed makes for a decent tactical combat miniatures game. The classes are much more balanced amoungst themselves in terms of power level and variety as compared to previous editions and it's much much friendlier to new players. So I don't see how it's a nightmare from a game development standpoint.

As far as roleplaying games go, however, it more or less isn't one. It feels a lot more like it's trying to be a video game you play with pen and paper than an actual game for roleplaying.

What WotC have done well is admit they made mistakes. They've openly asked for input from their community for the next edition in the works (although I'm yet to hear anything from that, having added my email to their mailout list some years ago now) because they realised they basically tore their fanbase into pieces and opened up a lot of room for rivals to make grabs; which has also served to break the D&D monopoly and allow other systems and settings to flourish in roleplaying clubs and the like.

As for whether or not Disney owning them is a good thing, I'm skeptical. There are certainly some things Disney tends to do that I do not like, especially the whole "Disney Vault" thing. One would at least hope that DDO was contractually protected from interferance on the basis of studio rivalry, but such concerns are not for us lowly plebians. To be honest, I'm more likely to be worried about My Little Pony than DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    Well, take a look at the Canadian Royal Mounted Police.
    Who did they go to for protection of their "brand name" ~ just the largest, strongest
    copywrite brand name protector in the world ~ Disney.

Lucas did not have to sell, he wanted to sell to Disney for the same reason the Canadian Mounted
    Police came to Disney for help, to protect their legacy.
    Uhh, that would not be correct.

First, it is actually the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or RCMP.

Second, while they were contracted to help them set it up the licensing program, Disney was never in control of the protection. Also, that contract was over in 2000.

Yes, years ago I was there and wore the (pink) shirt (circa 1999, training with the RCMP).
    Oh, that's easy. I didn't farm them. I just cheated. -Meghan
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    lol, I didnt give it a QA pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOTalk71 View Post
    DDO is owned by Warner Brothers...
    Ah, yes I seem to be concentrating on the parent company more than the licensed product. They are intertwinned anyway. Hopefully that Warner Brothers values DDO will make Disney respect DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by connerj View Post
    *started a completionist build*
    Woot! Congratulations and Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by connerj View Post
    another WotC game, probably THEE coolest game besides ddo, is magic the gathering, online and trading card game. SUPER!!
    Lol, yes I am enjoying it a lot these days. Its cool to be able to play cards without traveling long distances.

Quote Originally Posted by ScarletIncubus View Post
    Now, I don't intend to get into a lengthy discussion about 4th ed...
    I rather enjoyed 4th Edition when it came out. Since I have to use play by post for D&D, DDO suits me better.
    What WotC have done well is admit they made mistakes.
    Imho, thinking the parent company attitude is influencing DDO with their much more interactive approach to the players. Am interested in what 5th edition will be like as WotC seems to be getting a ton of imput from the players these days.
    One would at least hope that DDO was contractually protected from interferance on the basis of studio rivalry, but such concerns are not for us lowly plebians. To be honest, I'm more likely to be worried about My Little Pony than DDO.
    Disney and Warner Bros have been "rivals" for ages Looney Tunes vs Silly Syphony~the animation world benefited from it all. The Barbie moves caused Disney to sit up and realize they need to improve, and Tangled was the result. Hopefully the past will repeat itself?

I think Disney is more interested in owning a toy company with all these new brands, particularly the toy company with many contracts for those brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Helmet View Post
    Yes, years ago I was there and wore the (pink) shirt (circa 1999, training with the RCMP).
    Congratulations and thank you for your service.
    USA newspapers are soooo flash/bang with half written stories.
    Appreciate the clarification.
    Recall once in Disney world, someone asked, what happened with the wildfires?
    They were all over the new, then nothing.
    I replied it rained.
    They commented they were watching worried about their trip then suddenly heard nothing.

//////

Someone asked about expectations (when you don't know people) for healing in another thread.
    Copied my reply here, cause Fawngate likes to heal people.
    {It would be funny if after all these past lives she ended up a Favored Soul,
    but Sith (and he is excellent player) is now one, so maybe a good idea.}

Eight classifications per say for me:

Cleric, Druid, Favored Soul, Bard ~ should be able to heal self.
    {Frowns when they don't heal self. Tries to avoid "double healing" other party members.
    Tries to coordinate with.}

Artificer, Ranger, Paladin, Sorcerery, Wizard ~ hopes they will heal self alot of the time.
    {Watches for times when they have too much aggro in combat or seem low on resources.
    Looks for possible heals when resources are plentiful but watches to make sure am not "double healing".
    Tries to confirm how much healing will be needed. Tries to have Harm loaded if playing a cleric.
    Knows they may need heals when combat is especially heavy.}

Light Monk, Rogue, Halfing/Half Elf Fighter ~ hopes they will heal self while out of combat.
    {Looks to heal during combat. Tries not to overheal out of combat while they appear to be
    using resources to heal up.

Dark Monk, Fighter ~ hopes they will drink some cure serious potions to help out.
    {Slim hopes that they have Silver Flame potions.
    Looks to heal all the time.}

Barbarian ~ knows they cannot use clickies or cast while raged.
    {Slim hopes that they have Silver Flame potions.
    Tries to help in any way possible, knowing even haste clickies are difficult to use with this class.}

The cleric's friend ~ has shown kindness in some form to me, including gift of wand.
    {Makes sure this person receives extra attention.}

The hero ~ has shown valor, skill, clerverness, or heroism.
    {Realizes this person will be valuable when the chips are down.
    Makes sure this person does not die even at the expense of other lives.}

The chump ~ has insulted me or another party member.
    {Places this person at the bottom of the stack of heals.
    Will always choose other targets first. Will take off headset if necessary.}
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-01-2012 at 09:38 AM.

Tried to purchase the new tomes with Fawngate and could not.
    (Since she already has eaten a +4 tome.)

Logged unto Fawngold and purchased a supreme upgrade +3 to +4 tome set.

Could not purchase a second, so swapped over to my mule that stores tome
    to purchase second set.
    (Apparently logging out then back in would have done the trick too.
    Its safeguards to keep you from buying stuff you might not need.)

The tomes are bound to account and the supreme set is six individual tomes.
    So, I'll have a few extras to toss around later on.

Got a bit laugh this morning, logging into Fawngate (who still sits on the beach with
    Jeets) ~ 4 of Fawngate's initial stats are odd, the two that are even are likely to be raised
    while leveling, lol...hey its a good problem and maybe our airship will get better someday.

;;;

Work on the cartoon is slow indeed.
    Mom took a look at it, suggested I add more action and excitement.
    Lol...she came up with a few interesting twists.

Still learning a lot in Illustrator, have not watched enough training video yet,
    been playing MTGO a lot having fun.

Real life going well, Thanksgiving was quiet, yet nice.
    Decorating the house a bit more for Xmas.
    Mom has more strength than a few months ago.
    Overall, happy, Mom started reading some of Debby Macomber's books after
    watching her three moives.

Looking forward to the next cartoons, Fawn I know inspiration isn't always there on a clockwork basis, but I like 'em.

I like your 'healing priorities' list, too. I try to stay outa chumpness as much as I can, but its funny to see it named.
    Don't be a figjam.

Quote Originally Posted by Scortius View Post
    Looking forward to the next cartoons, Fawn I know inspiration isn't always there on a clockwork basis, but I like 'em.

I like your 'healing priorities' list, too. I try to stay outa chumpness as much as I can, but its funny to see it named.
    Thanks for the encouragement

Soloed Harbor solo quests, plus storehouse secret and heyton's rest.
    (Still on xp pot used for ED farming)
    Now enough xp for level two, and have to decide Fawngate's fate?

What will she choose?
    (Human rogue level 1 ; Seriously trying to avoid lesser hearts atm.)
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-01-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Went with Ranger, perhaps Arcane Archer since she was Tempest last time.
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Archer_enhancements
    Plenty of skill points for trapping skills.

Previously, was thinking of leaving Fawngate at the same level as the potential
    cartoon, but that is extremely impractical. (Busy comic updates 3 times a week,
    and might take year(s) to get to level 20, whereas Fawngate might take a week or
    two or so...

Have some interesting ideas on the comic now.
    Figuring, just do it and not worry if it is right or wrong.

Doing the math, it looks like the highest potential tome will be a rare +7.
    +1 min lvl 3
    +2 min lvl 7
    +3 min lvl 11
    +4 min lvl 15
    +5 min lvl 19
    +6 min lvl 23
    +7 min lvl 27
    (+7 dropping as a upgrade with the +6s in a level 31 chest or normally in a level 35 chest?)

That is figuring the level cap with go to 30, which seems likely...

Lars definately has been working out in the gym ~ thanks Devs.

This makes me feel much better about the upcoming Epic Vale quests, as two of them involve
    protecting NPCs.

The Cannith Crystal might be less fragile, accidently had a mob take multiple swings at it,
    yet it held.

Cleric Hirling lvl 2 impressed me, alot. Love the new random elemental weapon buff.
    Nice hit points, and as long as I kept the aggro, approached rooms in a logical manner,
    did a bit of parking, took care of traps ~ he was always fine.

{Have one past life Druid, pondering augment summing if have the space for it.}

Hats off to Feather of Sun for campaigning for Tomes to be more available in game.
    Woot, woot, woot!

Cannot wait for my +6 tomes...

Given that we have 5 more character levels (and treasure levels) to gain someday,
    is grinding for an epic sword of shadow a good idea?

Probably, but not sure it will always be "the best weapon" out there...

Very interesting, during TRing, Fawngate drank a 6 hour 20% xp potion that was bound to character,
    received as a extra gift during the charity promo.

She had a partial 30% xp running about 3ish hours left.

{Yes, she is that tight on character bound bank space.}

So, when the 30% xp potion runs out, the 20% shows up with a full 6 hours left on it.
    Woot! Very nice!

Atm, trying to draw a cartoon dragon with vectors, lol...

Housing for more bank space?!?

Want a real stable for my companions, a room to decorate, a garden to grow stuff in,
    a trophy room for my "uberest" conquests, a gym for asorted buffs, a kitchen lab to brew
    my own potions, a workshop to craft in, a guard dragon, traps for the front door, a moat,
    a tower guest room, a home theature for visiting bards, a library for researching epic spells,
    henchmen, followers, a choice of property sites (do you like the vale or the orchard to live in),
    an art gallery for my rare art treasures, a ballroom for hosting large events, a bedroom
    (click on to be restored to full hit points and spell points), ect, ect, ect...

But I'll settle for mmmmmooooorrrreee character bank space....
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-02-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Interesting, the old no min lvl drow greataxe (before it was corrected) did 3d12 damage = 19.5 average damage without critical hits.

Currently at level four, Fawngate is using +1 true law greatsword of pure good (with festival frost and force damage ritual) = 19.5 average damage without critical hits.

Woot, disable device 18+32 = critical success!
    {Guess completetionist + trapper = kinda cool.}
    '''

I really like this idea:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=400412
    Lots of potential, indeed.

'''

Someone is also suggestions making Silver Flame potions stack by 100 instead of 10,
    sure would be helpful for TRs with Bank Space problems. Of course giving us more bank space would solve that too...

Perhaps the lesser Silver Flame potions should be shifted down to tier one favor, not sure
    what benefit they are otherwise.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-02-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Had a nice chat last night with Helmar.

He did mention that I do need to be careful with the comic in one respect.
    We finally decided that not using proper names that are under copywright protection should cover it.

Good luck with your upcoming operation Helmar, get well soon.

A big thank you to:

Favored Soul TR Suling
    and
    Rogue TR Speedwikill

who masterfully had an evening and big full day of hunting down tons of xp.

Thanks!

Along the way Fawngate met two brand new (less than a month old) players (we were nice to them too).
    +1 TRs // +0 Chicken Little

Now 200 xp away from lvl 11.
    Not banking cause she wants to use her greensteels.
    Rogue 1 / Ranger all other levels
    Arcane Archer which is fun.
    Pushing Dexterity with decent Str, Con, and Int.
    Point Blank, Tougness, Completionist, Past Life Sorcerer, Weapon Focus Ranged
    Plently of skill points for UMD, DD, Open Lock, Search, Spot, Concentration...

Looking towards
    Maximized Spell and Improved Critical Ranged Weapons
    Wishing for Augment Summoning (which probably will not have room for)

Occasionaly getting into trouble since cure light wounds is not quite enough for self healing,
    but Suling did a great job with saving me.

On another subject ~ guilds.
    The Devs did a great job turning tables on small guilds.
    To be honest with you, Fawngate thought a small guild would be the cat's catnip.
    But its a lonely place.
    Only two people left in it, our small airship with a few buffs.
    Tons more renown needed than I ever imagined.

Big guilds should be granted the most advantages, IMHO.

I like Thalzur and he has really helped me alot, but I think both of us have to face
    that our small guild idea is kinda busted. The people we would like to recruit, we don't
    cause they are friends that are happy in their own guild. The guilds we would like to
    recruit from, we don't cause we respect them.

Hence, well, hence...
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 12-05-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Just a hunch, but I get the feeling that the Devs are very busy finishing up the enhancement update.

Community Member

As you know, you are always welcome back with MAC.
    Flufty, Flufs, Fluffi, Fluffit

Quote Originally Posted by fluffi View Post
    As you know, you are always welcome back with MAC.
    Thank you, I'll do just that.

Thanks Kefar for the invites.

Page 20 of 112 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070 ... LastLast