Page 129 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133 LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 2659
    Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

The latest official thread is talking about making end game raiding more interesting.
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...Loot-and-Tomes

Which is nice, because I finally have the ideal reincarnation set up working in place:
    at least one toon at level cap flagged (or working on flagging)
    at least one toon reincarnating cycle
    potential mules for holding bta loot

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silverleafeon View Post
    The latest official thread is talking about making end game raiding more interesting.

Which is nice, because I finally have the ideal reincarnation set up working in place:
    at least one toon at level cap flagged (or working on flagging)
    at least one toon reincarnating cycle
    potential mules for holding bta loot

It absolutely looks very promising, a great improvement. but i don't think it will solve the "problem" so many forum posters are complaining about. I keep seeing 'raids aren't run any more' posts, and that's not the case at all. Raids aren't put on the lfm panel very often, but that doesn't mean they aren't being ran. I fear that the same group that feels left out of raiding because of the lack of lfm posting are going to continue to feel left out.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by spyder7723 View Post
    It absolutely looks very promising, a great improvement.
    Aye

but i don't think it will solve the "problem" so many forum posters are complaining about. I keep seeing 'raids aren't run any more' posts, and that's not the case at all. Raids aren't put on the lfm panel very often, but that doesn't mean they aren't being ran. I fear that the same group that feels left out of raiding because of the lack of lfm posting are going to continue to feel left out.

A long time ago in a far away land, my first toon got into paragon levels.

She was such a good healer that some players teleported her in IQ just for the healing.
    Unfortunately, back then quest xp did not regenerate, and she took some over level penalties sometimes zero xp.
    That kind of stuck her in a pickle, which she managed to work out of with slayers and the like.

Then the great shroud bug appeared with Harry staring off into the distance.
    Everyone gathered up and did raids as quick as they got off timer (back then bypass timers did not exist).

Illiona (who moved to another server and was renamed Fawngale in due time) felt very left off.

All the players she helped flagged (costing her xp potential) did raids without her.
    "My toons are all on timer...."
    "The raid filled up quickly..."

After a month or so of no one wanting poor Illiona to join their raid (she had less than normal hp due to lower level and lack of certain items)….

She felt sad...
    Then she made a vow to herself: "I will get so good at DDO that I can run my own raids, and when I do, I will not exclude others."

Somehow that moment influenced a great deal of Fawn's philosophy of DDO...

A great way to learn dungeons is the go inside at the easiest difficulty possible.
    Follow others around and watch.
    Go to DDOwiki website and read thru everything, they even have maps and hints.
    Use LFMs instead of channels.
    Create your own guild...or join a nice one but run with whoever is out there.
    Have a toon that you can depend upon to influence the raid greatly.
    Don't be greedy, use a difficulty that has a 96% chance of success.
    Learn what is popular and when it is popular.
    Think about using the forums to organize events.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Speaking of entering dungeons for discovery:

It is often good to solo a new dungeon to discover more about thus.

In doing so positioning and finding levers becomes important.

The old "turn and press Q (next targetable interactive) or backspace (same) two or three times, then turn then move, and continue thus..." is the age old standard (even if you remap your keys) for figuring out how to get thru room X on your own.
    Q often shows thru a certain amount of barriers such as doors, but not always.

The old back into a wall helps one not get surrounded, as being surrounded even as a tank is not really a good idea.
    Foes (like heroes) get flanking bonuses as well as sneak attack damage.
    Just taking a dozen hits at once is not a real good idea.

Putting your back against a wall cuts out most of the flanks and divides your attackers in half.

The modified wall is known as fighting in a doorway.
    You have basically sunk yourself slightly inside the wall, or even a fair amount inside the wall.
    The prevents all flanking bonuses as it eliminates your far right and far left opponents.

If you back further into the doorway, standing just slightly behind the jam, you really cut down on foes attacking you.
    This arrangement also allows spellcasters and ranged toons to shoot thru the doorway.
    Since there is no friendly fire, multiple melee can stand in a doorway effectively blocking the path of monsters very well.

If you are solo, the modified doorway is simply backing into a corner.
    A corner only allows 3 medium or 2 large foes and fully prevents flanking & backstabbing.
    If you have glancing blows (which Fawngate the bastard sword tank does have) your arcing damage hits most all your foes from a corner.

The modified corner is simply backing up while attacking, keeping your foes in an 100 degree angle in front of you while swinging your sword.
    Auto attack will not always work thus, so holding down the mouse button helps.

Spellcaster can be frustrated by simply circling while attacking thus, yielding "no target" when foes cast.
    This involves strafing and turning at the same time, and actually can be very effective versus a single scary spellcaster.

Another way to frustrated spellcasters and ranged foes is to duck around objects and corners.
    This can also separate melee from spellcasters which is a good thing.

Remember also that foes move at different speeds.
    If you don't want to engage ozzes at the same time as orcs, then run backwards a few rooms.
    The ozzes who are slower will reach you after you have finished off the orcs, allowing your to swap weapons since ozze weapons are usually inferior against normal foes.

The simple twist unearthly reactions allows one to tumble thru foes, which can be very, very handy if you are fully surrounded.

Jumping also frustrates foes, especially archers.
    Jumping can usually get your out of being surrounded unless the foes press in strongly.

I don't really like using perch points, but they do exist.

Community Member

Aye

A long time ago in a far away land, my first toon got into paragon levels.

She was such a good healer that some players teleported her in IQ just for the healing.
    Unfortunately, back then quest xp did not regenerate, and she took some over level penalties sometimes zero xp.
    That kind of stuck her in a pickle, which she managed to work out of with slayers and the like.

Then the great shroud bug appeared with Harry staring off into the distance.
    Everyone gathered up and did raids as quick as they got off timer (back then bypass timers did not exist).

Illiona (who moved to another server and was renamed Fawngale in due time) felt very left off.

All the players she helped flagged (costing her xp potential) did raids without her.
    "My toons are all on timer...."
    "The raid filled up quickly..."

After a month or so of no one wanting poor Illiona to join their raid (she had less than normal hp due to lower level and lack of certain items)….

She felt sad...
    Then she made a vow to herself: "I will get so good at DDO that I can run my own raids, and when I do, I will not exclude others."

Somehow that moment influenced a great deal of Fawn's philosophy of DDO...

A great way to learn dungeons is the go inside at the easiest difficulty possible.
    Follow others around and watch.
    Go to DDOwiki website and read thru everything, they even have maps and hints.
    Use LFMs instead of channels.
    Create your own guild...or join a nice one but run with whoever is out there.
    Have a toon that you can depend upon to influence the raid greatly.
    Don't be greedy, use a difficulty that has a 96% chance of success.
    Learn what is popular and when it is popular.
    Think about using the forums to organize events.
    I agree completely. And keep saying very similar things. That's why i put quotation marks on the word problem. Cause white there is a problem, or isn't what they think it is. The majority of the complaints i see is that there isn't lfms for raids. The solution is actuary really simple, instead of whining that their isn't an lfm, make the effort to learn the raids/ quest enough that you can form your own and expand your circle of friends so that you can fill them.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

A bit more on controllers since they are better than mouses for long term health.

One can use the right joystick for camera/straf movement.
    Dual modifiers do allow better left/right hand usage.

and for spellcasters

One could use this set up that I saw posted long ago:

simple version:

Set up eight hot bars EI: 1 thru 8 inside a rolling hot bar set up.
    Move the rest to side bars for mouse clicking.

Make both tiny buttons the modifier button (as mentioned earlier this allows left/right hand easier usage)

Left set of four buttons becomes hot bar choice 1 thru 4 (clockwise from top or whatever)
    Right set of four buttons becomes hot bar choice 5 thu 8 (clockwise, ect…)
    Modifier + left set of four buttons become move to rolling bars 1 thru 4 (this changes the rolling hot bar without using a up / down arrangement)
    Modifier + right set of four buttons becomes select bar 5 thru 8

So, by simply using all the buttons only plus the modifier, one gains 64 choices that can be accessed rapidly.

Suggest one not put anything on hot bar choices 9 & 10 for this arrangement, simply leave blank.
    Suggest one write up and notecard detailing where these choices are and arrange somewhat by categories.
    It is easier to remember all your crowd control might be on bar 3 while your instant kills might be on bar 4 and your buffs might be on bar 1.

But I agree a spellcaster, particularly a healer needs more hot bars.
    A warlock is actually pretty easy to use a controller on, while a druid is really tough to get everything one needs.
    However, even with a druid, a controller could be used to relax one's hands and back while moving, then you can set the controller on your leg (it has a rounded bottom) for intense battles.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Herding archers and wizards

Ever run into a spellcasting red named, and be a bit worried that it will move out of tethered ranged?

Ever run into a skeleton archer that was standing right outside of your party member's firewall?

Ever run into a pair of pressure plates while you were soloing that needed to be pressed at the same time?

If so, never fear, just run around to the opposite direction of whatever way you want to herd that pesky ranged foe, and presto - it moves backwards right where you want it to go. It is kind of like cutting a tree down, the final cut is the exact opposite side of where you want it to go.

PS some monster constantly try to back flank you (night revels haverdasher end fight, etc...) in which case, backing into a corner prevents such...

Update did another "round" of revels with Fawngate EI: go from left to right (or opposite) and do each revels once for variety.

Pondering what to craft next, and whether Fawngale should stick to her "commoner" path since I have abandoned the idea of NPC classes.

Fawngate now has a nice level 28 crystal great club for those moments when legendary ozzes swarm...
    Not quite a broccoli basher, but it will do...

I guess one can play the dungeons of DDO for fun then decide what to do with the loot.
    or
    One can play the dungeons of DDO for the loot then decide that one had fun.

Either way, its important to have fun while playing a game, because that is what games are for.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 10-31-2018 at 02:27 AM.

It's less about making end game raiding more interesting than it is about spreading the level of the end game raids out a bit. This has a lot more to do with the fact that power creep has made several of the older end game raids and their loot almost irrelevant than it does with 'interesting.'

Instead of modifying the raid level they should improve the raid challenge. That would make end game raiding more interesting! After all, they are improving the loot so that should go hand in hand. But tweaking the raid level is a lot easier, and so that's the route they are taking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Annex View Post
    Yngvarr Stormedge: Aye, laddie. Aye. That be a mighty fine pooop deck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynnabel View Post
    sometimes you just want to light the players on fire, yanno?

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Niminae View Post
    ... it is about spreading the level of the end game raids out a bit...
    It is doing that, which will be nice.
    Pretty lately, it has been looking towards when one can equip ravenloft gear.
    Spreading the levels out a bit will make some loot more attractive, of course most of that loot has already been feed to Fawn's sentient gem..

Perhaps the Devs should remember that greensteel heroic has been popular for a long time due to the min 11 & 12 loot level despite the raid being level 17 on normal.

Instead of modifying the raid level they should improve the raid challenge.
    Saw that question on the main thread as well.
    So I went and reread everything, and the only level being changed is the loot min level.

Changing the raid level (which they are not doing) would impact monster CR, reaper xp, and quite a few other things.
    It is not happening.

An "end game" raid would have to be level 23 on normal before parties could not enter on reaper difficulty.

As a side note raising the level cap (which would mess with end game raiding and reaper difficulties probably should never happen since raising the level cap again would create so many problems that it would not be worthwhile.

Raising Epic Destiny levels would be more productive than raising level cap, especially if Epic Destines followed D&D lore as in 4th ed where the epic destiny level is gated by one's epic level...(of which I have said plenty about in the past...)...

Anyway, looking forward to some sort of raid train pattern for the future EI: having a group go from one raid to another having fun...
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-01-2018 at 11:38 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Nov 4th is coming and I need to decide what to craft next.

Robe of Shadows was always a nice nightshield clicky till leg greensteel came out.
    Cloak of shadow level 12 & 16 is nice.

Have always pondered a great club build, since no one hardly uses a great club.

I guess I need to get Fawngale up to level 7 to do the first time bonuses for night revels.

Ahh... the age old dilemma -- what to take for level 4?
    Does Fawngale multi-class?
    Stick with the path of commoner?
    Go with pure monk?

What would a commoner do anyway?

Looking up commoner on wiki:

"The common people, also known as the common man, commoners, or the masses, are the ordinary people in a community or nation who lack any significant social status, especially those who are members of neither royalty, nobility, the clergy, nor any member of the aristocracy."

and looking up monk on wiki:

"A monk (/m??k/, from Greek: ???????, monachos, "single, solitary" via Latin monachus[1][2]) is a person who practices religious asceticism by monastic living, either alone or with any number of other monks. A monk may be a person who decides to dedicate his life to serving all other living beings, or to be an ascetic who voluntarily chooses to leave mainstream society and live his or her life in prayer and contemplation. The concept is ancient and can be seen in many religions and in philosophy. "

So, sadly my choice of Monk could intone shades of divine purpose, while my definition of Commoner would avoid such...although I could claim philosophical origins...

Conflicted already, perhaps Fawngale will seek out 1 level of several other classes...
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-02-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

So...three thoughts today, which are sort of related:

1) G.I.M.P. is so Old School from preReaper difficulties, perhaps even preEpic difficulties.

Stepping into a Night Revels challenge, one can ramp up the difficulty as many levels as one desires.
    Pulled five keys yesterday doing a level 9 area with level 4 Fawngale and her level 3 gold seal hire.
    We got swarmed a lot, and dealing with those minotaur knockdowns was starting to get a bit brutal.
    Things were actually, "oh my, I have better pay attention here..."

Stepping into some R1 (getting my rhyme established), Fawngale is enjoying her pair of spectral daggers, but twice champs put an end to her dungeon quest (making the debate of is this worth a cake? -choose to restart instead and craft a set of spectral throwing dagger {guess which two classes in the game are not proficient in throwing daggers - lol}).
    One can ramp up Reaper difficulty exceedingly high such as r10 where danger is everywhere.

So given that now a days, ramping up difficulty is quite available, one might say, "the kid gloves are off".
    Its no longer bravery on elite, the new standard is how rough do you want this dungeon to be?

Which means although its possible to make bad feat, bad class, bad enhancement choices, one should strive to make a good interesting build that one enjoys playing.
    One might not have the best build around, but Fawngale will try to make a good build work.

Hence, she is either going to Fred for feat swapping or use one of those Freebie +5 hearts she gained with purchase of a +20 heart long ago.
    Time to abandon the whole Commoner theme, and try a new perspective.

2) Tactics

The two champions that killed Fawngale might have been stopped if she had used stunning fist or even fists of light.
    Even trip might have done the job.
    If a toon is melee, temporarily disabling a champ is going to save lives.

Fawngate also has been debating tactics with her build.
    She has the Str helm from the madness chain, which grants +22 stun, making Dire Charge suddenly within feasible DC ranges.

Fawngate has had the habit of choosing Defense first but choosing Offense when the Defensive options are much less useful than the Offensive options.
    For example, at legendary, she had choosen +20 PPR (along with acid damage to weapon), however raising one's PPR from 300 to 320 is not nearly as good as raising one's Melee Power from 81 to 101 (really need to consider Prowess sentient which raises +70 melee power by using an action boost someday).

She did find a tier one twist for +5 Intimidate (from Draconic) that allowed her to trade ED skill focus (+5) for ED Perfect Two Weapon Fighting (+5% double strike with main hand weapon).

At the same time, she traded Dire Charge for Deific Warding.
    The passive +10/+10 is nice, but the stacks will not last from one fight to another.
    It takes a very heated battle to build up to 10 stacks on Fawngate who is usually at 330ish AC (offensive mode) or 400+ AC (defensive mode).
    Frankly, Dire Charge as an initial attack burst is looking like the better choice.
    Fawngate crafted a Cannith Force / Stunning / Ins Stunning bastard sword along with a duplicate Cannith vertigo version (trip).

Not sure if she can fit Improved Trip (she is using Improved Combat Mastery anyway) into her feat choices?
    However, it is worth considering.

Of course the difference between Fawngale and Fawngate right now, is that Reaper in the Marketplace is so much easier than reaper at level cap, but also that Fawngate can intimidate a reaper and go toe to toe without tactical help. Got to admit, solo Demon Assault R1 on Fawngate is still a no go, wow dozens and dozens of Ice Reavers, maybe with a few more improvements there?

3)

Which brings us to a third thought:

Reading thru the forums, there are a few players with over 100 reaper points.
    That is enough to give anyone pause...
    https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...-Reaper-Points!!!

When said player is asked how they accomplish thus, the reply seemed to be TRing once a week and running each dungeon on reaper difficulty.
    Estimates for number of lives done was in the range of 300ish, which is extremely impressive.
    There also was a comment that over 80 reaper points becomes less and less powerful, mostly +4 hit points at the cost of a lot of reaper xp.

There is something to be taken away from all that.
    Reaper Points might be more intensive to farm than Past Lives.
    Of course, farming multiple objectives at the same time is always good, as Fawngate can tell you (having done iconic PL without any class PL benefits).
    So maybe, gaining normal XP should contain some reaper XP when possible?
    Although I still like the idea of considering RXP bar to be an infinite bar.

This of course questions the essence of Festival XP and Otto's Boxes.
    Of course, Festival XP is usually fun and obtains interesting items. Especially when one runs with a fun guild like I am in....
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-03-2018 at 07:54 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Crafted two robe of shadows at level 8 and 12 for 1+2 eight minute nightshield clicks.
    Yes, this robe is exclusive, but one can carry one each of different levels.

Just bought two keys off a first lifer, time is ticking down, looking at what to craft next.
    Likely they will turn the key off early Monday morning without warning?

It is doing that [spreading the raid levels out a bit], which will be nice.
    Pretty lately, it has been looking towards when one can equip ravenloft gear.
    Spreading the levels out a bit will make some loot more attractive, of course most of that loot has already been feed to Fawn's sentient gem..
    Unless you were referring to the RL raid loot, it looks like nothing will change. I asked in the "The Endgame, Raid Loot, and Tomes" thread and got no dev response to the question of will quest RL loot also change ML, or is this just limited to the raid gear. No answer, and the dev OP only mentioned raid gear, so the safest guess is that we'll have ML28 RL raid gear and will still have to wait until 29th to put on the quest RL gear. Seems silly, but it's what they said if you read them literally and don't just assume that of course they wouldn't do something that silly.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Interesting, only two pieces of Fawngate's current gear is raid ravenloft gear.

I will have to go back and reread if I have time.
    Definitely needs clarifying whether the quest loot from the packs will be reduced as well or not.
    I could see both directions on that.
    Lower min level of raid loot only would make end game raiding more attractive and leaving sentient feed higher for quest loot, but whatever.

I was kind of hoping that the lowered min levels of some raid loot might make it more attractive than it was?
    But I have not had time to analyze that.

Also, hoping that Legendary Souls will become collectable enough to support raid trains simply for the purpose of collecting thus.
    We will see...
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-04-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Finished up with 4, 8, 12, 16 versions of crystalized eternity because its exotic.
    Fare thee well Night Revels till next year!

Just bought two keys off a first lifer, time is ticking down, looking at what to craft next.
    Likely they will turn the key off early Monday morning without warning?
    Not without warning. The posted Night Revels event was October 3rd to November 4th. I mean, I suppose they could code up some kind of automation to shut things down at midnight on the last day, but I think that a lot of people get some benefit out of their casual "Eh, we'll shut it off once we roll in at the crack of 10AM and after we get our coffee and start feeling like doing work on a Monday" approach.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Sums it up quite well.
    Unlikely to have an encore during turkey week as players complained the last time they did that about having already destroyed their mats 0-o

Haven't looked yet, but the trader is likely gone at the same time...

Favorable odds, someone will post on the forums how they saved up mats to craft at the last hour and …..

Apparently anticipating thus:

Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We'll keep Night Revels open through today to give you one last chance to turn in ingredients for rewards. We'll shut Night Revels off early Tuesday morning Eastern time!
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Well another Mabar/Night Revels festival and this one was very enjoyable for me.

The public area being turned into a challenge really took the boring "running around in circles while suffering thru lag" and created a straightforward dungeon to run and done variant that actually provided loot and xp.

The new public area provided less lag for those finishing the Night Revels dungeon and exiting out.

Did I mention less lag? Between swapping to Wayfinder world and the improvements, Fawngate and I had quality time with about two instances of lag during the whole month of Night Revels. For us, that is quite exceptional.

Snuck back in with the bonus turn in day and made a set of Wraps of Light (after all Fawngale is still a level 4 monk)…
    As far as pay to win, I think I bought a few keys twice when guildies were doing first time xp and I wanted to run with them.
    Had multiple guildies give me keys, gave one or more guildies keys, ect…
    Used the draught twice (once when running out of chocolates while crafting, once on the eve of closing).

Never did get Fawngale thru the first time xp bonuses...
    Some more thoughts on nonreaper xp - reaper is more difficult and while it might be ideal to start earning reaper xp on a first life toon with zero equipment, zero PL, zero Epic Desties - such is certainly only a fantasy.
    We know true reality is somewhere in between balancing time, effort and efficiency with FUN being the biggest priority.
    Some players log in for the thrill of high stakes gaming and others just want relaxing from the real life questing.

Not sure there is a perfect power gaining formula or if there is I missed it entirely somewhere along the way...

Speaking of along the way, Fawngate pointed out to me that her attack rolls are less high then a previous life and that we really ought to map out where to find an accuracy item.

One can Slave Lords craft thus or go after the obviously nice:

as my math teacher used to say "there are some things that you can bet the farm on and this is one of them..."
    Odds are very strong that most melee types at level cap are wearing this ring on one of their fingers.

So, being optimistic, Fawn and I jumped into the dungeon without any thoughts about extra scroll magic...
    Just like the time, we hopped into Inferno of the Dammed without ice storm + fireball scrolls...
    Things went just about the same theme....

Guess what folks that metal golem end boss on LE has Special Qualities: DR/Adamantine ??160 (that is on hard) and on elite is more like 250+

So, Fawn said, "you cannot hurt me" and the golem said, "you cannot hurt me" and her sentient weapon said "oachie, oachie…"

End story, well I learned the quest and had plenty of time to tab out and visit DDO wiki for information about where to find Nibbles...
    My sentient weapon completely broke and its a good thing I had a back up...
    {No ring in the end chest...lol...}

So, a visit to house Cannith to pick up Addy and Bhy scrolls along with crafting a metalline bastard sword which would have been construct bane but no construct soul gems.

There is a level 21 epic wizard hirling who can use trap the soul (have another hire to protect thus and turn this one to passive then target foe and hot click trap the soul from the hire bar. Looking for a CR 17-20 foe of the appropriate type for crafting any bane bound shards.

However, the constructs in Good Intentions are immune to trap the soul, however I find that the warforged from Cannith Wilderness were the exact type that I needed for construct soul gems (not immune to trap the soul and CR 17).

So now I have Addy Scrolls (which one cannot use on a off hand sentient weapon because sentient weapons cannot be off hand), a metalline force damage bastard sword, and a metalline construct bane war hammer since hammers don't take weapon wear from clay & metal monster like swords do.

And almost done Cannith raid flagging on Fawngate.
    edit: flagged up and those addy weapons sure helped with schemes.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-07-2018 at 09:24 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Seeing a lot more lag the past two days, and pretty sure it is linked to swapping to a max purification divine crusader build.
    Going to swap back to US epic destiny with no purification twists and see if that helps.

{There was a windows and adobe update in that time period, and usually when that happens, I just give the computer up and go watch TV...}

Recent digging in our area, going to go do some speed checks.
    Edit: speed checks look ok for what I have.

But still I can see the purification dropping on a lot of foes during first encounters and its definitely going to put a load on my bandwidth.

Edit after some feat swaps, the lag is now under control here, getting away from Purification, and letting Adobe+Windows do their updates helped.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-10-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

There seems to be a renewed interest in Tanks due to the latest raid and the need for a tank inside a reaper party.

Since Fawngate has been reviewing her build, and making some major changes via donations to the fred foundation, it is probably time to post up a build summary:

Race Aasimar (think the non iconic might be better, but she is using the iconic version atm)

Class split:
    Pally 15 -- Holy Sword & Zeal along with lay on hand and cha to saves -- points into defender tree
    Fighter 4 -- 3 bonus feats -- points into defender tree but no points into stance bonuses since one can only take one of pally/fighter defensive stances (its a toggle)
    Wizard 1 -- 1 bonus feat (quicken) along with a few points into Eldritch Knight for 1 cleave and +10% ac

Order to take classes -- wait on fighter till later for better choices of martial feats

Feats considered but not taken:
    Improved Trip -- too much swap for DC and only single target
    Shield Deflection -- have Mirror Tower shield which seems to be plenty atm
    Epic Defense, Bulwark of Defense, Deific Warding -- these provide only minor improvements compared to enhancement & and epic destiny choices
    Epic Destiny skill focus intimidate -- able to get to 122 intimidate with draconic +5 twist and can intimidate most foes (have about coin flip on White Plum Mountain end fight otherwise auto intimidate if foes respond to thus).

Feats taken for offensive value due to higher gains
    Deity - helm for free Bastard Sword Prof
    Blinding Speed for auto haste
    Two Handed Fighting line - Greater and Perfect resulting in 40% glancing blows & 19% chance to activate weapon effects
    Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Mastery, and Improved Shield Bash
    Completionist -- optional
    Combat Expertise -- always on for AC gain
    Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, and Dire Charge -- this is to deal with the biggest threat of being surrounded by hoards of monsters and unable to eliminate thus quickly.
    Perfect Two Weapon Fighting -- gain of +5% double strike (this build is able to reach about 70% double strike with ravenloft gear set)
    Legendary Feat -- Scion of Arborea

Epic Destiny is Unyielding Sentinel

Points into:
    2 Fortification
    3+3 shield
    1 divine energy resistance
    3 renewal
    2 endless lay on hands
    1 light the dark
    3 + 3 AC and HP

Enhancements
    (have all racial PLs so adjustment might be needed for others)

Racial
    all cores
    first two improved recovery
    1 counsel

Eldritch Knight
    1 core
    3 improved Mage Armor

Sacred Defender
    4 core
    all tier five
    all tier four except ability
    all tier three except ability
    all tier two except defense boost and instinctual defense
    all tier one except save boost and item defense

Stalwart Defender
    1 Core
    3 Stalwart Defense Mastery & 3 Stalwart Shield Mastery
    3 Threatening Countenance
    3 Armor Expertise & 3 Shield Expertise
    2 Instinctual Defense
    +1 Str
    3 Reinforced Armor

These enhancements provide far more AC, PRR, and MRR than the failure to take defensive feat lose by about a 10 to 1 ratio or more.

Twists depend upon content facing with these being favorites:
    Divine Crusader - Consecration line up
    Fury of the Wild - Wild Weapons and Malicious Weapons, Fast Healing
    Shadow Dancer - Meld Into Darkness
    Magistar - Unearthly Reactions
    Draconic - Draconic Presence and Dragonhide, energy sheath (electric)
    Grandmaster - Hail of Blows, Walking With Waves
    Legendary Dread - Legendary Tactics, improved Combat Expertise

Twist I tend to ignore although worthwhile:
    Primal -- Cocoon & Summon Dryad Elder (get my Mass Death Ward from White Plume Mountain clicky)
    Divine Crusader -- Purge the Wicked (avoiding Purification due to lag issues)
    Shirdai - Whirling Wrists (good for temp throwing build without feats), Healing Springs (prefer Consecration if going to dedicate twists to healing)

Gear is mostly ravenloft legendary

Knight of Shadows set - heavy armor along with threat goggles and belt
    Platemail of the Bav Lord
    Feargaze
    Plateshard belt

Mist set -
    Hands of the Dawn Healer
    Reflective Bloodstone (50 MMR only might replace if get better)
    Mantle of Fury
    Gauntlets of Innate Arcana (cha which fuels saves, intimidate and Lay on Hands)
    Flightfoot Greaves
    Lore Fueled Packbanner
    Mirror Plate Tower shield OR Legendary Best Defense

Sentient Weapon
    Divinity Morninglord's Goal
    Grandfather's Shield 3 & The Long Shadow 4
    Ruby of the Vampire Slayer (making this weapon cold iron & silver)
    Meteoric Star ruby (knockdown)

Rings are caster Slaver Rings that are valuable for wis and resistant saving throws likely to be replaced.

Controller
    Windows Gamepad, trackball, and keyboard

Controller
    left joystick - forward, back, strafe left and right
    right joystick camera up, camera down, turn left and right
    middle little buttons modifier used on left and right four button groups to select hot bars 1 thru 8
    left and right four button groups set to hot bar 1 thru 8 (granting 64 options all spread out as hot bars lower screen
    toggles, bags, etc.… set to top of screen without hot keys

all in all, fun set up that is very durable and mostly lag free

outside of reaper in public area:
    AC 421, PPR 303, MMR 177 (227 when blocking)
    Str 70, double strike 73, melee power 108
    Saves 128, 96, 101 (+16 vs spells on all saves)
    Fort 309 (standing against the tide) 284 vigor/moving
    Hamp 110, Positive spell power 483
    Hit Points 2541 (increases to 3k in reaper)

As you can see, these are very nice numbers for a tank, while still dealing with dps issues.

The main problem that I have had with this build was being surrounded and slowly beat down which is why the move towards Great Cleave and Dire Charge.

PS crafted displacement procure unto my helmet Legendary Mighty Stormreach Guardian's Helm
    Xoriat Madness: Delirium
    so far it procures fairly often

Stats: (high level tomes backing thus up, but not necessary, use what you have)

Str base 25 (18 with level ups here)

Dex base 8 (will be fine as soon as I fit in an augment to bump this up a bit, and when using tower shields which is ideal the max dex bonus is rather low and does not need bumping)

Con base 16 (all the hit point +X%, having at least a 14 is wise)

Int base 12 (for quick tome level up to 13 for taking the feat combat expertise along with some skill points - could have been slightly lower)

Wis base 14 (making sure one can cast level 4 Pally spells without tomes and for will saves - could be lower if needed)

Cha base 10 (which might should have been higher since Cha fuels saves and int skill)

Skills as taken: (backed up by high skill tomes)

Balance 10 ranks (a bit higher than needed, had the points) - 34 total

Concentration 6 ranks (skimped a bit here, but its cross class some of the time) - 60 total so its quite ok

Heal 23 ranks (had the skill points and affects positive spell power) - 94 total

Intimidate 23 ranks (always max this) - 122 total

Jump 11 ranks (anything over 40 jump is wasted) - 46 with tower shield otherwise 53 total

Tumble 1 rank (tumble sometimes is disabled during red alert which is bad if using unearthly reactions) - 16 with tower shield otherwise 25 total

Use Magic Device 11 ranks (good for greater restoration when my DW wears out accidently) - 59 total (less with negative levels)
    You cannot slot Zeal, Holy Sword and Death Ward on this build as you only have two level four pally spells

All other skill untrained.
    Tumble 1 and Max Intimidate is very important, the rest is a bit up to you...

Spell Choices:

Wizard -
    Nightshield (equip empty hands and slot spell agility augment to drop ASF to 19% from 70%+ if holding tower shield)
    This one is important and I usually swap in a Leg Greensteel item as a nightshield clicky, otherwise check this every 5 minuts.

Feather Fall (nice since I don't slot feather fall atm)

Obscuring Mist (never use, but its an old tanking trick, as it gathers some aggro)

Pally-
    Protection from Evil (good against command)

Divine Favor (rebuff when you rebuff nightshield as its a short term)

Cure Light Wounds Quickened (not on main hot bar and rare used at level cap, but surely used a lot in heroics)

Resist Energy (really nice in heroics, replaced by Divine Energy resistance in epics, but could replace thus - lot of buffing time is the main reason went to 1 point in the Mass Divine Evergy resistance plus the extra 5 points of protection) if wearing a Leg Greensteel hp set all this would be ignored, but found that Ravenloft gears gives better Intimidate, AC and Dps.

Remove Paralysis (removes slow)

Cure Moderate Wounds quickened (sometimes used but ED renewal is the first choice)

Resurrection quickened (obviously helpful)

Holy Sword (big crit bonus here) - make sure always on

Zeal (make sure this is stacking and if not reset tree/twists and it will) - make sure always on

Reaper points all spent in Grim Barricade

All first three tiers except Memento

MMR - Will - Con - Dodge

(Surely other choices would work just fine.)

You might notice a trend of avoiding action boosts & mementos which is a personal playstyle not necessary the best choice for a build.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 11-13-2018 at 02:35 AM.

Page 129 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133 LastLast