Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice on Coalescence Chamber

I have been doing solo runs with hirelings, and have gotten pretty good about most of the quest. The exception is the last leg of the ramps that lead to the top of the chamber, just before you unlock the final door and meet the end boss. The Troglodyte casters up on ledges give me fits. Does anybody have suggestions to get rid of these guys without getting blasted to death by their lightining bolts and webs?
    Snarly Dwarf Chick With A Great Axe

Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    I have been doing solo runs with hirelings, and have gotten pretty good about most of the quest. The exception is the last leg of the ramps that lead to the top of the chamber, just before you unlock the final door and meet the end boss. The Troglodyte casters up on ledges give me fits. Does anybody have suggestions to get rid of these guys without getting blasted to death by their lightining bolts and webs?
    Invisible...and summoning pets.

They auto-aggro pets it seems.

I prefer the Barbed Devil due to their ability to teleport and their ability to resist electric.
    "Hireling" and "Hjealer"
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

one word: dwarfapult!

ok not a real word, but picking up a decent thrower really helps. also, ship buffs acid and elec make the quest a lot easier.

failing that, pick up resist 20 pots from the 12

just remember - toss me! but don't tell the elf!

hope that helps.

hob
    main toons: hauteur(silly caster) Sttomper (silly barbarian)-jammiee (Silly paladin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    You are still completely free to run around like a jackrabbit on caffeine.
    quem deus vult perdere, dementat prius

My advice, is even though I have not read your thread but answer in haste is, Do it once on Elite per build.

This quest is a ONE time QUEST, I hate it and I never want to see it again!

It is a TR's nightmare becaues the taller we are the more we hit our heads and bounce off rocks.

No.
    Last edited by Zorth; 05-28-2012 at 05:56 PM.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post
    My advice, is even though I have not read your thread but answer in haste is, Do it once on Elite per build.

This quest is a ONE time QUEST, I hate it and I never want to see it again!

It is a TR's nightmare becaues the taller we are the more we hit our heads and bounce off rocks.

No.
    I find the new physics engine really helps here. Not.

I hope your right. Even though the shroud is nothing to me atm and I hve all the gear I need. I want to pretend I need it jsut for this thread and say I hope your right and if I jump I do not bounce off a wall like it was made of water and bubble wrap mixed togther to create the ultimate bounce! like it does now.
    Last edited by Zorth; 05-28-2012 at 06:01 PM.
    The Blood of the Red Dragon

i guess after you get the Iron Key and drop down the shaft you could land on ledges that have casters and take them out to reduce the trouble when you have to climb back up at the end.

I don't think they re-spawn, though I'm pretty sure other stuff spawns so the path won't be harmless but mostly harmless (or they re-spawn and you wasted your time).

You could try that I guess, see if it helps.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    i guess after you get the Iron Key and drop down the shaft you could land on ledges that have casters and take them out to reduce the trouble when you have to climb back up at the end.

I don't think they re-spawn, though I'm pretty sure other stuff spawns so the path won't be harmless but mostly harmless (or they re-spawn and you wasted your time).

You could try that I guess, see if it helps.
    Pretty sure they do respawn. Best thing is to grit your teeth, do it with invis and just get through it as fast as you
    can.

If you're on Thelanis, look for Heall and I'd be glad to let you pike it anytime you want. Any diff.

I just love this quest and I think it's loads of fun.

And yes, the casters in there are a PITA. Elec and acid resist are mandatory here, as well as poison immunity from some source. Don't go undead form if you're PM Wiz... lots of searing lights.

The trick is not to always jump up a ledge when climbing... if you know the terrain, walking up can be gold.
    I always try to disable the casters first, then go for the rangers within melee range.

Thaarak Wraps (HoX E/H) and Terror (Mindsunder) help a lot here also.
    Paralyzers and vorpals can do some good too, due to the amount of mobs per encounter.
    I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It can certainly hurt to be on the receiving end of a nerf

Quote Originally Posted by Zorth View Post

This quest is a ONE time QUEST, I hate it and I never want to see it again
    I actually like the quest and intend to do it over and over again. My main frustration is developing a strategy to get up last part of the ramp at the top of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by zeonardo View Post
    If you're on Thelanis, look for Heall and I'd be glad to let you pike it anytime you want. Any diff.
    If you're on Sarlona, send a tell to any character on my sig. I'm not usually fast running it, but I also love coal chamber, and can let anyone pike a normal run, if all you want is completion or the ingredient/pie piece.

Quote Originally Posted by zeonardo View Post
    Thaarak Wraps (HoX E/H) and Terror (Mindsunder) help a lot here also.
    Paralyzers and vorpals can do some good too, due to the amount of mobs per encounter.
    All mobs inside the quest (except the cube) are also damaged by banishers. Before U9, my rogue could kill anything there in 3 swings because Banishing would kick in. An archer with a banishing bow/xbow makes this quest a cakewalk.
    Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist (12/14) [<o>]
    Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Kensai, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

i've had people tell me the trash in there respawns if you kill it on the way down.

my experience has been that if you kill it on the way down, then (with the exception of those stupid bats) it will not be there on the way up.

but yeah, you know all those times where you hear people go on massive rants about how gimpy ranged DPS is and how nobody should ever build a ranged character because it makes you completely useless and blah blah blah blah blah?

this is the quest where arcane archers get to slap pure melee builds in the face with a large trout and tell them that being unable to range things makes you completely and utterly useless sometimes.

this is a quest where the ability to switch between melee and range (or alternately, simply the ability to range with little to no melee ability) makes your life a whole heck of a lot easier.

I don't really want to pike the quest while someone else does all the fun stuff. Piking bores and frustrates me. However, based on some of the suggestions, I am beginning to wonder if one of the hirelings I take along should be a ranger. Thinking back to the best run I ever did, I had a bunch of Reptilian Slaying Arrows that I used to quickly eliminate a number of the Troglodyte casters on the ledges. (Yes. I know I am a melee, but I carry a bow for cases like this.)

Banishers are your friend. Acid Resist 30 mitigates most of the archer damage. If its just the trog casters and not the jumping mechanics of the quest that are getting you down then you already have a leg up on the quest. Have true seeing on and get the casters quick as you can. I assume your jump is decent otherwise invest in a jump clickie for some extra oomph. Ignore the archers if you have to so you can go after the casters. Deathward yourself as well.

In a sick way, I don't mind this quest so much. Others are much much worse (I curse you Tormented!!)
    Originally Posted by Eladrin
    I often word things in ways that cause the most speculation and panic, because I'm capricious and mean.
    Argo: Cydia - Ariasa

Quote Originally Posted by Bonulino View Post
    I don't really want to pike the quest while someone else does all the fun stuff. Piking bores and frustrates me. However, based on some of the suggestions, I am beginning to wonder if one of the hirelings I take along should be a ranger. Thinking back to the best run I ever did, I had a bunch of Reptilian Slaying Arrows that I used to quickly eliminate a number of the Troglodyte casters on the ledges. (Yes. I know I am a melee, but I carry a bow for cases like this.)
    i don't think there are ranger hirelings in the game.

that said, if you grab, say, larafay do'ret (level... 15? favored soul) you may find similar results, although she'll probably run out of SP rather quickly what with her compulsive nuking tendencies.

I prefer the Barbed Devil due to their ability to teleport and their ability to resist electric.
    I assume you mean acid, since devils don't resist electricity.

Trogs in the vertical tubes respawn when certain conditions are met (usually acquiring keys). They don't just reappear on a time table. Hotspots for scorpions and bats will recharge over time.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaid314 View Post
    i've had people tell me the trash in there respawns if you kill it on the way down.

my experience has been that if you kill it on the way down, then (with the exception of those stupid bats) it will not be there on the way up.
    Nothing respawns, just at certain points new stuff spawns. You have the set of trogs on the way up, then, after the trigger, the second set spawns. If you kill the set on the way up, and the set on the way down, it will be 100% clear on the next time up. If you kill nothing, it will be populated by both spawns.

IIRC, even the ground/bat spawns (triggered by location) are limited to the x2 spawn mechanic, with the area between the entrance and 1st shaft being the only area that had no 2nd spawns. I got it in my head one day to fully clear Coal...but it was a long time ago.

Edit: Actually on further reflection after reading Matuse's post, I think it was ground spawns can respawn a certain amount of times, but the area from the entrance to the first shaft could be 100% cleared with no respawns. That sounds more correct. Not sure I agree on bats though...I should test it.
    Last edited by Delt; 05-31-2012 at 12:08 AM.

I've found charming them to kill themeselves off is a great way to avoid that last part, but seeing as you're a barb and not a casty, that may prove slightly difficult. So I'd recommend you do what was suggested earlier, invis yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Delt View Post
    Nothing respawns, Edit: Actually on further reflection after reading Matuse's post, I think it was ground spawns can respawn a certain amount of times, but the area from the entrance to the first shaft could be 100% cleared with no respawns. That sounds more correct. Not sure I agree on bats though...I should test it.
    I didn't think there was re-spawn casters.

I will take out a few as I fall unless I'm on a toon that is very capable.

As far as the ground spawn, I thought it respawned until the cube dies then all re-spawn, both bats and scorp, stops.
    May be wrong on that.
    BONGO FURY - Ghallanda - Thingfish - Wizard, Diuni - Ninja, Gheale - Angel, Dullknife - Tank, Noodlefish - Gimp, Jaquaby - Treacherous and other gimps I won't cop to.

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    I didn't think there was re-spawn casters.

I will take out a few as I fall unless I'm on a toon that is very capable.

As far as the ground spawn, I thought it respawned until the cube dies then all re-spawn, both bats and scorp, stops.
    May be wrong on that.
    I was mostly correct remembering. Complete waste of time, but here is how it works:

- Area from entrance to 1st shaft = no respawns
    - Bats, spawn once triggered by location
    - Scorps spawn variable # of times per location, but they are finite. 4-5 times max
    - Search Behadil's chest = new spawns = new one time Bat triggers from 1st shaft onwards & New trog/gnoll/etc spawns bottom second shaft onwards
    - Search Frokke's chest = *possibly activates top of that shaft 1x ground spawn*
    - Use Jeweled Key trigger = Ambush spawn

Basically, the only thing that "respawns" is technically the scorps, but they are finite. Every other "respawn" is actually triggered and extra.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast