So I was reading this thread and it captured my imagination somewhat. I didn't want to hijack the thread so I'm posting my own suggestion.
- This is a new fighting style for single weapon users, sword and buckler users and TWF'ing users who want a defensive option
- I heard a rumour that some aspects of this suggestion will be more relevant in U14
- This fighting line will only be 2 feats to make it more accessible to other builds (like bards)
Without further ado:
Prerequisite: Base attack bonus of +1 or higher, others TBD (perhaps Dexterity 13+)
- Reduces the penalty for defensive fighting and combat expertise modes by 2
- While using defensive fighting or combat expertise you have a 20%+best of 0.5*strength or dexterity or 2*int mod to parry (dodge) an attack that originates in front of you from an enemy that you have hard targeted once every 2.5 seconds (only successful parries start the cooldown)
- This feat only functions while fighting with a light offhand weapon, buckler or single weapon
- TWF'ing offhand procs are reduced to 1/2 while using this feat
Prerequisite: Parry, Base attack bonus of +6 or higher, others TBD (perhaps Intelligence 13+)
- Reduces the penalty for defensive fighting and combat expertise modes by a further 1
- The chance to parry increases by 20% and the cooldown reduces to 1.5 seconds
- While using defensive fighting or combat expertise you have a 20%+dexterity or 2*int mod chance to riposte an attack against you from an enemy that you have hard targeted gaining a free attack.
- This feat only functions while fighting with a light offhand weapon, buckler or single weapon. If TWF'ing the riposte originates from your offhand weapon
So that's the core of it. 1 feat to parry some attacks against you as if you were dueling, a second to make some counter attacks. Suggestions on the mechanics involved welcome. I like the idea of a cooldown on the parry to create a playstyle of back and forth which seems realistic (back off while parry is on cooldown, engage until it goes off again).
Other changes could be made to interact with these feats:
- Fighter enhancements to reduce cooldown, increase parry and riposte chance etc.
- Duelist PrE
- Epic feat/enhancement allowing the combination of 2 stats rather than the best of 3
Even though it's only 2 feats many other feats already interact nicely with them (for builds with more feats to burn). TWF'ing remains an effective option and shield mastery/bash feats work nicely as well.
It might be necessary to make Parry a stance to give the option for TWF'ing builds to use defensive fighting/combat expertise without losing their offhand procs.
So, discuss or /sign away
Edit: added hard target clause as per Kinerd's suggestion