Thread: Epic XP

Question Epic XP

Will any potential XP that counts toward epic levels be carried over between the time a character caps and the time the expansion is released. E.g., if I TR before the expansion, will I have lost XP earned while I was completing quests and raids at cap? (Put another way, does XP that counts toward epic levels only begin accrue after the expansion is released?)

your xp caps currently. when you get level 20, your exp bar reads "maximum xp reached" or something like that.

there is no exp for you to be gaining right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimrac View Post
    Will any potential XP that counts toward epic levels be carried over between the time a character caps and the time the expansion is released. E.g., if I TR before the expansion, will I have lost XP earned while I was completing quests and raids at cap? (Put another way, does XP that counts toward epic levels only begin accrue after the expansion is released?)
    You don't earn epic XP at all before the expansion, so what's the point of this question?

Forum Turtle
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Glimrac View Post
    No, they do not retroactively record gain and you magically get it when the expansion goes live. So if hte new stuff is your goal, you gain nothing by doing mad epics in advance, and you lose nothing by not doing any or tr'ing til it comes out live.
    Turtel, Turtley Wrath, Tortoisse, Waterssong, Victerr Creed, Utahraptor, Velocaraptor, Minddancer, Loggerhead, Matamata, Sulcata, Ticerratops, Sierrann, Hankx, Shartelhane

Member of Highlords of Malkier! Help channel, everyone welcome in this channel!

Tip: You can sort of do this by prepping adventure areas:

Get the kills to a really high number, just a few before your next big chunk of XP. Be careful not to enter that area again until after the expansion.

June 25th: Go into each wilderness area you preped, get the few kill you need.. And bam, could be as much as 200k+ xp in minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Tip: You can sort of do this by prepping adventure areas:

Get the kills to a really high number, just a few before your next big chunk of XP. Be careful not to enter that area again until after the expansion.

June 25th: Go into each wilderness area you preped, get the few kill you need.. And bam, could be as much as 200k+ xp in minutes.
    I think only epic quests/raids/wilderness will count for epic xp gaining.

I would love to be contradicted on this though.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post

I remember a Dev post stating that all xp could count towards epic xp, but at a decreased amount. This may change though.

Kraahg
    Stillz Azgoth:
    11 Dwarf Light Monk - 7th Life
    1st-Ranger-tri-class-gimp;2nd-Fighter;3rd-Pallie/Monk;4th-Pallie/Monk;5th-Dwarf-Light-Monk;6th-Fighter/Dark-Monk-yuck

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post

Devs have stated any xp will work for regular levels 1-25.

For Epic Destinies however, its not been officially stated either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Devs have stated any xp will work for regular levels 1-25.

For Epic Destinies however, its not been officially stated either way.
    That surprises me. If that's the case, then multi-TRs are going to take significantly more work to level to 25 just because they've drained all of the easy, quick XP getting the 4 million XP to hit 20 while a first life character will have tons of that IQ, etc. XP available to grab a few epic levels.

I had really thought that they were going to put real effort into making sure that a 3rd or later life character would have the same epic leveling experience as a first life character.

21-25 will be same for all. dont forget there will be new areas challenges slayer area epics will all give xp so why is there an issue?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    That surprises me. If that's the case, then multi-TRs are going to take significantly more work to level to 25 just because they've drained all of the easy, quick XP getting the 4 million XP to hit 20 while a first life character will have tons of that IQ, etc. XP available to grab a few epic levels.

I had really thought that they were going to put real effort into making sure that a 3rd or later life character would have the same epic leveling experience as a first life character.
    You have already artificially inflated your character's abilities by rezerging lowbie trash. Looks like you are going to have to pay a trivial amount in additional effort to keep that ridiculous advantage.

Maybe Turbine should add some support to reset multi-TRs back to single life charactrers so the multi-TRs won't be inconvenienced. You don't really want those past life feats anyway, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GermanicusMaximus View Post
    You have already artificially inflated your character's abilities by rezerging lowbie trash. Looks like you are going to have to pay a trivial amount in additional effort to keep that ridiculous advantage.

Maybe Turbine should add some support to reset multi-TRs back to single life charactrers so the multi-TRs won't be inconvenienced. You don't really want those past life feats anyway, right?
    Active and Passive past life feats don't really add all that much to your character and the +4 build points only make a significant difference if you're playing a character that has serious problems with MAD (Monk and Paladin especially).

Yes, it is a power boost. It's not nearly as big of a power boost as people think, though.

Maybe tuning a bit down the 18-20 xp grind the TRs are forced into, would be a nice solution to all of this.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    Active and Passive past life feats don't really add all that much to your character and the +4 build points only make a significant difference if you're playing a character that has serious problems with MAD (Monk and Paladin especially).

Yes, it is a power boost. It's not nearly as big of a power boost as people think, though.
    Now you and I both know none of that is what truly makes being a TR so great. It is that you get to use all that great loot you found or crafted before most any others. Swinging a Min II weapon or Lit II weapon is a big bonus over what is available to a first life character. Breaking out a archmagi item for a caster at level 5 is a very huge bonus, or being able to toss on some challenge gear that you took the time to get while at 20 and having it ready for the appropriate level.

All of that is what makes a TR so great.

Quote Originally Posted by Mubjon View Post
    Now you and I both know none of that is what truly makes being a TR so great. It is that you get to use all that great loot you found or crafted before most any others. Swinging a Min II weapon or Lit II weapon is a big bonus over what is available to a first life character. Breaking out a archmagi item for a caster at level 5 is a very huge bonus, or being able to toss on some challenge gear that you took the time to get while at 20 and having it ready for the appropriate level.

All of that is what makes a TR so great.
    Exactly.

And once you're sitting at level 20 and moving through those epic levels, none of the "early" gear matters - you're wearing the same gear as any first life character that has been sitting at the cap for a while.

Also, you can upgrade an Ioun Stone at level 5 on a first life if you have someone open the quest for you. I only finally bothered to do that when I hit 16 because I wanted to flag and run Dreaming Dark on my own, but I've helped a few guildies do that at low level. It's not game breaking, certainly, but it is a nice upgrade. 1124 spell points at level 5 is fun.

Thank you for the replies