Default Cyborg M.M.O. 7 - ultimate DDO mouse?

I recently purchased the Cyborg M.M.O. 7 gaming mouse, and after a few weeks using it I believe I may have found the ultimate DDO input device.

Pros
    • Lots of extra buttons (9 beyond back/forth) that can be mapped to a variety of actions. This is huge to me .. I like quick, on-the-fly access to things like auto-run, auto-attack, metas, push-to-talk etc. and there are not enough keys within reach of my other hand to cover them all, especially when I may be moving at the time.
    • Extra buttons are in natural positions
    • Extra buttons are sufficiently different that you will have no problem gaining a no-look feel for each button
    • Second thumb scroller gives you another powerful option (i.e. scrolling through hotbars)
    • Shape of mouse is adjustable (i.e. left side can move back/forth for different thumb lengths)
    • Certain parts of it are removable, comes with extra parts that have different shapes/surfaces. One example would be two different sizes of palm rests.
    • Manufacturing quality appears to be high (metal vs plastic, feels solid, etc.)
    • Can adjust weight - and a significant weight difference between full and empty. I have had wrist problems in past, so I like it nice and light.
    • COMES WITH A DDO PROFILE! - you can map buttons to a predefined list of DDO actions

Cons
    • Cost - Amazon lists for $129 US
    • I occasionally hit an input mode button which makes left mouse button do something different .. hopefully with work itself out over time.

I really can't think of another downside other than cost. Definitely the most expensive mouse I have ever owned. However, if you add up the other mice I have tried and abandoned .. it starts to look cheap.

Other mice that I have tried, with varying success
    • Logitech G9 - Most ergonomic, but limited buttons. Good quality, still working .. what I was using up until the Cyborg.
    • Logitech G5 - Nearly as good feel as G9, but again with limited buttons. Good quality, still working.
    • Razor Naga - Nice concept, but I find the 15 side buttons too small and too close together. Awkward 'feel' on which button I am pressing. Felt cheap, Back/forth buttons in weird spot.
    • Logitech M570 trackball - Very good for a trackball, I use this on occasion when the wrist is sending me warning signals.
    • Razer DeathAdder - Ergonomically felt strange, poor quality. Didn't last more than a year.
    • Logitech G13 - I only put this in because I was looking for more buttons within easy reach, however there are not nearly enough buttons on this device for DDO, and switching between the M1/M2/M3 is not fast enough.
    Last edited by GeneralDiomedes; 05-26-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

In your review, 3 things you left out that will be of benefit to other people.

1. Do you palm or claw grip?
    2. Just how large is your hand? A picture with a ruler may be the best size ratio most of us may have for it. Skinny but long, small and squat, just freaking huge.... Size matters.
    3. average cost for your location.

The thing that has always bothered me about that one is that the look is very strange, so mechanical it makes me wonder about its longevity.
    I really liked you listed off other mice and your thoughts so we have a comparison to your thoughts as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Claw, typically. However, it comes with an alternate palm-rest you can attach which is a bit larger. I tested and it feels about the same size as a G9.

2. Just how large is your hand? A picture with a ruler may be the best size ratio most of us may have for it. Skinny but long, small and squat, just freaking huge.... Size matters.
    With Ram's Might or not? Actually, my hands are long and skinny, piano hands as it were. I had to move the left side forward a bit where it feels natural. Middle finger hangs a bit over the top edge, but not to the point it feels unnatural.

I paid $139 CAD for it (in Calgary). Amazon US lists for $129 US. Not really sure what the average price would be in my location.

The thing that has always bothered me about that one is that the look is very strange, so mechanical it makes me wonder about its longevity.
    I guess the thing that makes me feel comfortable about its longevity is the copius use of metal and things are typically screwed together rather than glued or snapped. Rollers and buttons have a solid feel to them. Only time will tell, of course.
    Last edited by GeneralDiomedes; 05-26-2012 at 02:32 PM.

I plan on checking out the logitech g600. Kinda like the razor naga but much better workmanship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

That thing must be from Xoriat haha, never seen anything like it.

Prefer my mice with two buttons and a scroll wheel, nothing more, nothing less. Have a keyboard full of buttons to bang my head against.

benne^
    We're not here on a quest to rescue a man named Arlos, we're here to punish some Kobolds.

Quote Originally Posted by benneburg View Post
    That thing must be from Xoriat haha, never seen anything like it.

Prefer my mice with two buttons and a scroll wheel, nothing more, nothing less. Have a keyboard full of buttons to bang my head against.

benne^
    Check this out...Goes with my 17 button mouses ( or 20 if I upgrade )

http://steelseries.com/products/keyb...s-merc-stealth
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitesco View Post
    Oh and honestly, you are all carrying portal beaters on your casters? What on earth are you using it on often enough to clog up your bag with it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianRhapsody View Post
    Portals.

I have been using the R.A.T 7 for about a year - its basically the same but without the orange. Personally i find it the most comfortable mouse I have used.

In your review, 3 things you left out that will be of benefit to other people.

I really liked you listed off other mice and your thoughts so we have a comparison to your thoughts as well.
    I have been using an earlier version of this mouse (mine is the original R.A.T 7) for around 3 years now and it gets heavy use in DDO. I can attest to it's sturdiness and quality of construction. Aside from being a little dirty, there is no visible wear and tear.

It is also has many options to configure size, shape and weight for various people's hand sizes and preferences. If and when I need a new mouse I will definitely be buying another one of these.
    Persius, Equus, Maeric, Khaaldun, Robotcoupe
    The Exploration Society ~ Thelanis

Community Member

Not a mouse, but the Logitech G13 is uber. I'm a moselooker so switching from WASD to a thumb-based navigation frees up three fingers and gives more precise control. And the programmable buttons help get things set up how I like them.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/produc...eboard?crid=26

Looking at all those shiny buttons has my carpal tunnel arguing with my arthritis as to who gets to make me run screaming like a little girl to the medicine cabinet first.

CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual