Default Sometimes you just gotta point and laugh, at yourself.

So it's my first time on a 3rd life TR. I don't know if it was that I was just over zealous or if the increased XP needed on your 3rd life had me feeling like I was further along than I was, but there I was, level 5, throwing up a Necro 1 elite group. Normally, when I put up a group I set the level range from 2 levels below my level to my level, but level 3's in Necro 1 just didn't feel right for some reason, so I set the range 4-5.

It took a really long time to fill. Like more than 30 minutes. Something seemed off. Plus, it was rather obvious most of the people joining were very new players. Several ended up not having the adventure pack, and when we finally had 5 people standing at the door ready to go I decided to do something I really don't like to do, I put 'IP' in the LFM and we stepped in and started.

We weren't even in there a minute and I started getting pretty nervous. The new guys were getting pounded hard, and they didn't have much HP to spare so I had to light them up with heals. This was looking ugly, something was very wrong, but I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Then I get a tell asking why the LFM lists the level range from 3-5 when on elite it's a level 7 quest!

Yep, there's the problem. I was out in Necropolis much sooner than I'd normally be out there, and even worse I dragged this bunch of innocent doe eyed new players in with me.

I fixed the LFM, the guy who sent me the tell turned out to be a level 7 cleric and joined the party. We made it through all the quests, the cleric had to leave before the final one, so we even made it through the 4th short manned. It really didn't even go all that bad, obviously no speed records were broken, but I've had way worse times in there. Our success was due in large part to the monk/paladin/fighter, who was almost indestructible, soaking up the aggro.

I was absolutely embarrassed, but everyone in the group was really cool about it. Luckily the new players weren't scarred for life by the horrific wipefest that thankfully never happened.

I really want to thank the wiz, cleric, and monk for not only saving my bacon, but especially for being so cool about it.

Default fun

Sounds like it was a challenge and fun. on trs it seems like we blow thru quests with very little challenge til reavers and amrath. maybe ill start going in a few lvls under quest lvl to mix it up a bit. I remember my first time thru necro 1. no real twink gear, no uber toons not even a silver weapon for the vamp. man was it ugly...... but fun.

Haha that was a fun little run, I was there

Yeah, I felt bad for the newer players, but I think a few ideas got into their heads, and hopefully help them in the future. If any of the party is reading this, I am happy to run with you anytime.
    - Proud co-founder of the Dragonspire Legion -
    Souldout (Completionist Life 2), Diamese(TR), Darkfey, Darkwai(TR), Darkriff, Shayris, Shayrn, Tekron, & more semi-retired mules

I bet if F2P and premium's walked into stuff like THAT more often we (and I include myself) wouldn't (have) develop(ed) some of the bad habits that haunt us later. I know for a fact when I first started playing, I developed really bad habits in the first 6 or so levels of F2P.

Then I walked into Chrono elite...

Quote Originally Posted by voxson5 View Post
    Haha that was a fun little run, I was there

Yeah, I felt bad for the newer players, but I think a few ideas got into their heads, and hopefully help them in the future. If any of the party is reading this, I am happy to run with you anytime.
    Oh yeah you were there! I was very impressed with your endurance. It sure was a good thing that someone so resilient was in the party. Thanks again.

When I realized my mistake I wanted to call it off, but several of us were standing by the door for at least 30 minutes, and to top it off... one of the new players didn't have the pack so he bought it on the spot so he could get in. I wasn't about to throw in the towel without a fight after that.

Community Member

This is an oddly heartwarming thread.
    Kudos to you, Chilldude, for sticking with the group even with the looming threat of a wipe! Many other party leaders wouldn't think twice about calling it off, regardless of what the other members have already invested into your party.

Not that I can legitimately thank you 'on behalf' of anyone, being new and not really on your server, but thank you for being chill

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude View Post
    Then I get a tell asking why the LFM lists the level range from 3-5 when on elite it's a level 7 quest!
    Obviously because running quests underlevel can be pretty fun! I just wish they'd bring back the xp bonus for doing so.

But yeah it's not going to be easy for new people.

Yep this thread is filled with all that is good in DDO land.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.