Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    I know that no one else really cares, but it was pretty self-validating the other day when I tried to play on my lunch break. Not my network, not my usual hardware... same zone-out experience that I suffer from on my main rig. *shrug*
    ooooo.... bad thought. Given that your route would be similar but not quite the same as your home to hit Turbine systems....

Do you think perhapes some of the initial loading stuff is being seen as torrent traffic or the like and getting throttled by some junction in line to your location?

wa... emmm... I need to go instance and region hopping and check some data. I wonder...
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 05-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.

It might be a memory thing or a pentium thing. I never crash. I tend to get a lot of lag if I alt swap more than a couple of times without restarting client, but I never crash.

I have a basic Dell I bought about 1 1/2 years ago. I put Max memory (8GB I think) and the best AMD processor they had at the time. I have a very vanilla Sound card and Video card however.

I can't remember the last time I actually had a client crash and I play about 20 - 30 hours per week.
    Leader - Legion of Eberron (Cannith)
    Loromir
    Baldomir
    Weyoun
    Among others

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    ooooo.... bad thought. Given that your route would be similar but not quite the same as your home to hit Turbine systems....

Do you think perhapes some of the initial loading stuff is being seen as torrent traffic or the like and getting throttled by some junction in line to your location?

wa... emmm... I need to go instance and region hopping and check some data. I wonder...
    Well, the route would still be out of Marietta Street, Atlanta GA. I'm sure that some of the route would be the same, yes. But, definitely different network / different ISP.

Are you suggesting that there is some Level 2 or Level 1 route torrent throttling that happens regionally, and that perhaps for some reason, Turbine's DDO stream is flagging as a false positive for that stream?

I can tell you that my friends here in Atlanta occasionally DC/zone-out, but they don't seem to suffer it as frequently as I do. I sat there in the noodle shop yesterday thinking... "my God... is it something to do SPECIFICALLY with my DDO account? Something to do with Premium versus VIP versus totally F2P?" That's how puzzling this is...

Sorry, OP. I did not mean to derail...

Community Member

I fixed this for myself by increasing the virtual memory allocation. I'm not recomending anyone try this unless they do a bit of research because some people say it can slow a system down.

Open Command Consol by running it as admin and type

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

Like i said though do a bit of reading on it before you do to make sure it's a solution that can work for your system.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentAssassin82 View Post
    I fixed this for myself by increasing the virtual memory allocation. I'm not recomending anyone try this unless they do a bit of research because some people say it can slow a system down.

Open Command Consol by running it as admin and type

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

Like i said though do a bit of reading on it before you do to make sure it's a solution that can work for your system.
    Emm... that reads like a BF3 fix. In case it is...
    Source: http://sonsofvalour.forumotion.co.nz...eaks-and-fixes

Note it states for 32 bit systems.
    Also if that is true, it makes me wonder about how Windows is doing VM if there is a User virt, chances are there is system virt. So what does the GUI virt memory changing access?

=================================
    Constant Crashing - Partial Fix (high level of success) 32 bit Operating Systems ONLY.

*All credit goes to striker475
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...89420350764/1/

What does it help with?
    This is not the solution for all crashes. It deals primarily with the crash to desktop that is caused by lack of virtual address space.Due to the unique nature of how addresses are mapped differently on each machine this crash may happen at different places and times of the game, even loading a map, menu or waiting on an AI turn. If you try this fix, and you follow directions properly, and it doesn't help you then your crash is due to something else.

How do I do it?
    Follow directions explicitly. I have seen people consistently skip steps or not read the directions properly so it doesn't work for them whne they don't do what it says. it's not as complicated as it sounds, I'm just being thorough.

APPLY THE WORKAROUND (juicy caramel center)

Requirements

Only real requirements is that you have atleast 2GB RAM. You don't need beyond that even though we are allowing addressing up to 2.5 GB. Also following instructions and being somewhat familiar with working with files in windows is required. Make sure you are using Vista SP1 or later. If not then you need this hotfix that fixes a major blunder with Vista address space - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105 [support.microsoft.com]
    That's all, follow the 3 steps.

1) Prepare the operating system to be able to use beyone 2GB address space with a userva of 2.5GB (only 32 bit OS's need to do this): I am purposely using only 2500 for userva for specific reasons and any more will likely not be needed, as a result the kernel will have plenty of space to play in.

Windows 7/Windows Vista
    * In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
    * In the command prompt type this exactly: bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500. Then hit enter.
    * Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
    * Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
    * Changes take effect on reboot but don't reboot yet.

SUMMARY
    We extended the user virtual address space in XP, Vista and 7 to 2500MB, so now applications can utilize up to that much if they are set to be Large Address Aware. While some 32 bit games/applications are set, Empire is not.

2) Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES
    For Vista 32 Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
    Reboot and you are back to normal.

========================

As my wife has this isssue, is running XP, and has enough RAM... I'll try it out on her system.

edit: Go to myddo spot for the XP instructions.
    http://my.ddo.com/missing_minds/2012...d-crash-issue/
    Last edited by Missing_Minds; 01-15-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Got any other chance reasons why I don't crash? As combative as that statement is (and I'm sorry about that) any ideas you have on why I don't may help brain storm why people do.
    No. I stand by the reason I stated. 3-8 times in 2-3 hours? Whoop. I've always had a haggle bard and now, with a dedicated crafter I am levelling, it was always tons of swaps amongst my 16+ toons. You may want to look back at the actions that historically get "lagged" during this process, such as item swapping and umd. Perhaps that plays a role, all my toons always abuse UMD and always have.

1st system: xp, dual core, 9600
    2nd system: vista, phenom II, gts 250
    current system: win7, i5, 570

Completely different builds. Only thing that remained the same is account and the Hi Res download.

I will also point out you are unsure of the download you use. If you really want test things out, toast your current install and download the Hi Res. It doesn't take especially long.

Community Member

You are correct, it was a BF3 fix, it was actually after I used this fix for BF3 then I started playing DDO a couple of weeks ago, I then noticed i wasn't getting the crashes. So I reset the virtual memory to it's default value to confirm this is what fixed it and the very first time i entered the sands I crashed. So that sold it for me, I set my virtual memory back to 2500 and i have no intesion of ever setting it back to the default value.

Quote Originally Posted by Antheal View Post
    Well I never swap alts in a single session. If I ever do swap alts to change inventory around, I'd swap to the alt and then re-start DDO before logging back into my main character.
    Wow I had no idea this was happening to others too. My game client goes crazy when swapping characters, the video gets choppy, the sound pops, the game slows to a crawl..

The more alts I've switched, the worse it gets. And the time it takes to shut down the client is relative to the number of alts switched.. sometimes it takes a few minutes just for DDO to shut itself off, in those cases I usually resort to Task Manager to handle it.

Not a memory leak, but more like a memory downpour if there was such a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Delt View Post
    I will also point out you are unsure of the download you use. If you really want test things out, toast your current install and download the Hi Res. It doesn't take especially long.
    I always download hi-res, that I do remember. I can't remember if I bother playing in hi-res as the option is there.

Swapping to alts doesn't seem to effect adventure zone crashing however. I stated that from everything else that others have stated for.. months? years? before.

Will swapping constantly lag the client? Yeap. I don't argue that one, but that is a different issue.

While I don't suffer UMD because I seldom bother with it, I do suffer a similar issue with Madstone boots "proficient" being added/removed. So I'm pretty certain I'd suffer what you termed as a UMD issue.

Will swapping constantly lag the client? Yeap. I don't argue that one, but that is a different issue.
    Why is that a *different* issue. That is the definition of a leak, as the client continues to swell. Explorer zones, especially large ones like the Sands, kick start the client crash earlier than say, crashing in the market (but if you continue to bloat the client, chances are you will crash in the market eventually),

People who experience the zone crashes generally can zone in fine with a fresh log in. It's when they've played a bit that things get dicey.

As I've already said, on my new box, I can power through lag/crashing. In fact, if I afk a bit, it will slowly even out. It's rare that I crash now, but if I am excessively swapping, it will happen. Still, pretty sure DDO doesn't require an i5@4.6 with 8gigs and 570...you don't call failure to have an expensive rig for a 2006 game a "user issue".

Quote Originally Posted by Delt View Post
    Why is that a *different* issue. That is the definition of a leak, as the client continues to swell. Explorer zones, especially large ones like the Sands, kick start the client crash earlier than say, crashing in the market (but if you continue to bloat the client, chances are you will crash in the market eventually),

As I've already said, on my new box, I can power through lag/crashing. In fact, if I afk a bit, it will slowly even out. It's rare that I crash now, but if I am excessively swapping, it will happen. Still, pretty sure DDO doesn't require an i5@4.6 with 8gigs and 570...you don't call failure to have an expensive rig for a 2006 game a "user issue".
    Different in the aspect of no swap and you crash. Could they be related? Sure, but I'm not privy to Turbine code. My wife is one such person that can crash on first load in. I did that once I think during the end of my XP's machine life before hardware went too far south.

"user issue" sure, but it may not be a "Turbine" issue either.

Anyway, last I have to say on that. I'm curious if the BF3 fix is going to help.

Reworking your whole system just to avoid crashing in ONE area in ONE game?
    No thanks.

I routinely crash entering the sands. It's probably a 75% crash to no crash ratio. Swapping alts or not, different computer systems or not, it still continues to happen regardless.

I've just got used to this. *shrug*
    I just tell anyone in party "Entering sands, crashing soo..." and then reload. At least it's only in this one area. If it happened on every zone transition, then I would have attempted to fix it, and failing that, uninstalled and moved on to Age of Conan or something.

Not exactly a solution, but thought I would share. It's something thats a known issue with no real fixes, as far as I've been able to tell.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Never can get a crash when you want one, lol. I tried to force a crash but like I mentioned earlier, it's pretty hard to do on my newest system. What I did find is simply swapping toons isn't enough, you gotta check the bank and use items that can give lag (swap GS gear, use SF pots, etc).

Anyway, managed to bring the client up to 3.6gb mem use or so, lol. Would have tried to get higher, but eventually my character select options disappeared. Pic below. When entering the sands, it was like an immediate 200k jump, and I could see how that could cause issues on a lot of older systems, even without an already bloated client.

Founder

> bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

After some google searches it looks like you can't do this in windows xp home?
    "4-gigabyte tuning" is available in windows xp professional but not xp home.
    Does anyone have a similar fix for windows xp?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post
    Wow I had no idea this was happening to others too. My game client goes crazy when swapping characters, the video gets choppy, the sound pops, the game slows to a crawl..

The more alts I've switched, the worse it gets. And the time it takes to shut down the client is relative to the number of alts switched.. sometimes it takes a few minutes just for DDO to shut itself off, in those cases I usually resort to Task Manager to handle it.

Not a memory leak, but more like a memory downpour if there was such a thing!
    I too have issues with switching alts. I have an ssd and loading the game and the first time loading a character is really fast, starting and loading within half a minute. But after switching a few alts the loading time gets worse and worse. Up to one and a half minute for just loading a char. And shutting down takes just as long. (and a minute longer to disappear from the task menu).
    But my memory isn't full when ddo is running. And I never got to 3.6 as Delt did, 2.6 max.
    Sometimes I get laggy too and thats usually when swapping items or dying. So maybe its database related? I don't know.

Setting texture cache size to max didn't help.

Ghallanda: Kruppe f13 - Pryas c16/f1 - Gimso f16/p4/e1 - Zarnax ra16/ro1 - Jeraldim a6 - Angerer s18/p2/e1
    Thelanis: Zarna ra18/ro1/f1/e8 - Jeraldim w16/ro2/f2/e1 - Roboco second life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12