Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guilds...

Default Guilds

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    What is a guild in DDO supposed to be?

Before guild leveling, it was a group of players that got along well, had similar playtimes, and ran quests and raids together....

But now, with the ridiculous guild level system that has been implemented, it seems to be a group of players who are focused on maxing out their guild level, and kick good players out of their guild just because they've been inactive for a few weeks or months (knowing fully well that they will return eventually).

I have seen great guilds crumble and collapse because of the guild renown system. If the system had been implemented differently, that may not have been the case.

This is how I envision a good basic guild leveling system:
    1: Guild renown awarded on completion of quests of parties that have at least 2 members from the same guild (acts like favor). This encourages guilds to run together, but does not force guild groups to deny pugs.
    2: Maximum guild level/renown achieved by completing all content in game on maximum difficulty as a guild.
    3: Due to 1 and 2, no guild renown decay. Or rather, renown decay is in the form of new addition of content.
    4: Earn airships and airship amenities via current renown system. Play quests, pick up heroic deeds and whatnot (which are added to "Guild Funds", guild size bonus can be used here), and use the funds to purchase airships and amenities.

Also, modify the amenities so that they are aware of player levels, so that a level 1 can't just get maxed resists and whatnot.

That's just my opinion though. Some of you might have differing opinions...
    Top 10 Things Guilds are!

10. An excuse to get out of doing a quest you signed up for

9. A group of people who feel like they are obligated to be nice to eachother no matter what the circumstance, be it loud breathing over the mic, poor gameplay, or random begging for free things

8. If a high level guild, a way to hold something over other players when you can't brag about gear or kill count or least amount of deaths because everyone is better than you.

7. A good way to group noobs together to make squelching more efficient

6. A way to have "Deathkillerdemonstallionawsum666" as your moniker because some jerk on every server has taken that name already for their toon

5. A way to get a free chest of goodies every day!

4. The best way to show the unwashed masses how important you are by how long it takes you to buff "Man, my ship is so big it takes 5 minutes just to find everything! How's that 1% XP shrine treating you, noob?"

3. The only way you will find groups with that 10 Wiz/ 5 Sorc/ 3 FVS/ 2 Fighter halfling shuriken specced build you have

2. The only ones who seem to understand how awesome all that epic gear you keep linking even though your highest level toon is 14 is

1. The only way I personally get into groups!

* Disclaimer - This post is satire. I am not talking about you or anyone else personally, unless you do all of these things or are a bard who greases the ramps in Dreaming Dark quests constantly for no reason at all just to make what should be a 3 minute farming run take 15 minutes. Why would you waste all of your SP doing that when no one gave you any reason to do such a thing? Seriously... I will never run with you or anyone in your guild ever again. You are a terrible player and also a jerk.... I mean...uh...this whole post is not in reference to anyone at all, just trying to be lighthearted here :P
    Ghallanda - LLEWNDYN 27 Necro Wiz (completionist) + other random uncared for players - Blackmoor Defenders
    Thelanis - Llewndyn (FVS), Brickadoom Jenkins (barb/ ftr)
    Quote Originally Posted by jandhaer View Post
    Nerf Happiness

Community Member

And yet another thread about everyone hates the guild system....

You'd think they'd get the point, but they must be making money off it

Totally agree that the decay mechanics have changed most medium to large sized guilds - Large guilds that use dto be about friends inviting other friends now worry about making their renown debt back per day, and we can't invite everyone who wants in.

Turbine SHOULD fix it, but they won't - I assume they want 8 billion 6 man guilds in their game, and no large guilds.

(150 tp * 8 billion 6 man guilds)

(150 tp * 8 thousand 1000 man guilds)

Community Member

Agree that the guild leveling system in DDO needs to be reworked. The current one is just awful. It makes casual players totally unwelcome in DDO guilds which, IMO, drives them away from the game to other MMO's where the guilds don't all expect you to play daily and earn tons of renown to justify your membership. Disagree though with the OP's vision of what guilds should be like. Everyone wants different things from a guild and the OP's vision is, IMO, too narrow.

So revamp guild leveling = strong yes!

OP's recommended revamp = mild no thanks.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kromize View Post
    What is a guild in DDO supposed to be?

Before guild leveling, it was a group of players that got along well, had similar playtimes, and ran quests and raids together....

But now, with the ridiculous guild level system that has been implemented, it seems to be a group of players who are focused on maxing out their guild level, and kick good players out of their guild just because they've been inactive for a few weeks or months (knowing fully well that they will return eventually).

I have seen great guilds crumble and collapse because of the guild renown system. If the system had been implemented differently, that may not have been the case.

This is how I envision a good basic guild leveling system:
    1: Guild renown awarded on completion of quests of parties that have at least 2 members from the same guild (acts like favor). This encourages guilds to run together, but does not force guild groups to deny pugs.
    2: Maximum guild level/renown achieved by completing all content in game on maximum difficulty as a guild.
    3: Due to 1 and 2, no guild renown decay. Or rather, renown decay is in the form of new addition of content.
    4: Earn airships and airship amenities via current renown system. Play quests, pick up heroic deeds and whatnot (which are added to "Guild Funds", guild size bonus can be used here), and use the funds to purchase airships and amenities.

Also, modify the amenities so that they are aware of player levels, so that a level 1 can't just get maxed resists and whatnot.

That's just my opinion though. Some of you might have differing opinions...

my guild is "very small" because it's only friends and family. my kids would cause othes way to many headaches if i turned them lose on the general population , so we have our own guild. with a "run with other guildy to get renown" set-up i guess that would no longer work very well would it?

even though we don't have the more desireable ship or +2buffs it's still ours and we still enjoy it.

basicly, i'm sorry to hear about your guild problems but pls don't make them mine.

i would like to see renoun decay go away but it's not the be all end all.

or maybe just no decay for very small guilds XD
    Last edited by GrimGus; 05-28-2012 at 10:28 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12