Default How about giving us real halflings?

Short (already accomplished), stout, and hairy footed.

Use the current halfling designs for gnomes instead.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Short (already accomplished), stout, and hairy footed.

Use the current halfling designs for gnomes instead.
    Yeah! And 2/3 speed and a minus to the damage die! Like they are supposed to have! Also they should get 3/4 carrying capacity!
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Bacab View Post
    Yeah! And 2/3 speed and a minus to the damage die! Like they are supposed to have! Also they should get 3/4 carrying capacity!
    Don't they already get 3/4 carrying capacity? Feels like it, lol.

Oh, don't mind me, I'm being silly. I just realized that we actually already have gnomes, they're just called halflings and have the wrong stats.
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Community Member

Or you get actually info about halflings in d&d and do not confuse them with hobbits of LotR.

Halflings in Dungeons & Dragons have been further divided into various subraces:

Hairfoot halflings were the standard, "common" subrace of halflings in the game's earlier editions. Clearly derived from Tolkien's Harfoots, they most clearly resembled Middle-earth's hobbits, being a good-natured race of homebodies with fur-covered feet. With the advent of the game's Third Edition, they were replaced by lightfoot halflings.

Tallfellow halflings were based on Tolkien's Fallohides[citation needed]. They are taller than hairfoot or lightfoot halflings, with lighter hair and skin tone, and prefer to build their homes in woodlands. They have survived the change to Third Edition more or less intact.

Stout halflings were based on Tolkien's Stoors[citation needed]. Shorter but broader than hairfoot halflings, stouts make good craftsmen. In Third Edition they were renamed as deep halflings but have otherwise remained unchanged.

Furchin, or polar halflings, are the rarest of the subraces[citation needed]. They live in Arctic regions and can grow facial hair.

Lightfoot halflings are the standard halfling subrace of Dungeons and Dragons Third Edition gaming rules. They are more removed from Tolkien's halflings, being athletic and ambitious opportunists, although they retain their love of comfort and family. They differ visually from the stereotypical depiction of halfings; rather than having the thicker proportions normally associated with halfings or hobbits, they are slender and graceful in appearance, resembling a human gymnast in miniature.

Jerren are found in the third edition supplement "Book of Vile Darkness", described as brutal and chaotic halflings who acquired those traits by Vile magic during a war.[14]
    Wayfinder: Drache-V26, Taragon-V4 Quarterstaff-Bot, Iridal-Cleric, Xar-Level 4 Mule

And this is a gnome. Not sure what edition he's from, but...

Looks like one of DDO's halflings to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunklerlindwurm View Post
    Or you get actually info about halflings in d&d and do not confuse them with hobbits of LotR.

Halflings in Dungeons & Dragons have been further divided into various subraces:

Hairfoot halflings were the standard, "common" subrace of halflings in the game's earlier editions. Clearly derived from Tolkien's Harfoots, they most clearly resembled Middle-earth's hobbits, being a good-natured race of homebodies with fur-covered feet. With the advent of the game's Third Edition, they were replaced by lightfoot halflings.

Tallfellow halflings were based on Tolkien's Fallohides[citation needed]. They are taller than hairfoot or lightfoot halflings, with lighter hair and skin tone, and prefer to build their homes in woodlands. They have survived the change to Third Edition more or less intact.

Stout halflings were based on Tolkien's Stoors[citation needed]. Shorter but broader than hairfoot halflings, stouts make good craftsmen. In Third Edition they were renamed as deep halflings but have otherwise remained unchanged.

Furchin, or polar halflings, are the rarest of the subraces[citation needed]. They live in Arctic regions and can grow facial hair.

Lightfoot halflings are the standard halfling subrace of Dungeons and Dragons Third Edition gaming rules. They are more removed from Tolkien's halflings, being athletic and ambitious opportunists, although they retain their love of comfort and family. They differ visually from the stereotypical depiction of halfings; rather than having the thicker proportions normally associated with halfings or hobbits, they are slender and graceful in appearance, resembling a human gymnast in miniature.

Jerren are found in the third edition supplement "Book of Vile Darkness", described as brutal and chaotic halflings who acquired those traits by Vile magic during a war.[14]
    Your Lightfoot Halflings sound a lot more like Kender to me than Hairfeet.

DDO Halflings are in my opinion far closer to Kender than to anything else in 2nd Ed. too.

I'd love to see Tallfellow Halflings, Stouts and Hairfeet but let's face it this isn't gonna happen - The furore over Gnomes would be nothing as compared to what would hit these forums were we to get two new {old} races of Halflings.

I'm gonna guess btw that any Gnomes actually added into DDO as a playable race will be far closer to Tinker Gnomes of the Dragonlance setting than to Forest or Rock Gnomes of more standard D&D - That is unless we get really lucky and they give us Svirfnebli.

don't know.. this is how they looked in the 3.5 handbook... halflings that is...

they used to be different in earlier editions..... and changed for 3.5..... pretty similar to what we have...

makes sense to me ... this is based on 3.5
    Last edited by flaggson; 05-09-2012 at 01:18 PM.
    Infynity, Flaggson, Grazzit, Liryc
    Yep, I think I facepalmed my nose off.

Quote Originally Posted by flaggson View Post
    don't know.. this is how they looked in the 3.5 handbook... halflings that is...

they used to be different in earlier editions..... and changed for 3.5..... pretty similar to what we have...

makes sense to me ... this is based on 3.5
    See! They've all got topknots! Kender in all but name.

Community Member

Real halflings? This is fantasy (i.e. there is no 'real'). Most accurate would be to look at how they are described in Eberron settings.

Community Member

The reason you won't see "Tolkien" halflings in DDO is simple: Copyright issues. It's been a number of years, but IIRC when Wizards of the Coast first acquired D&D and was working on 3.0, they changed the physical description of halflings to match the Dragonlance campaign setting kender in order to avoid being sued/having to pay royalties.

Leave mah halfers alone!!!!
    Callissto:RS~Calithallasi:Fowl~Merb:RS~GearsofWar: Shiradi~Durperian:Necro~Aritahl:Figher~Jeatt:Shint ao~Mzil:Machine Gunner

Community Member

Didnt they went extinct cause of the WF/HO eating/throwing/sacrificing them?
    I pike on Argonnessen.

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckWisdom View Post
    Real halflings? This is fantasy (i.e. there is no 'real').
    Some people would beg to differ, such as this person talking about me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yazzman View Post
    You're halfling IRL!!
    Have you ever wanted to create your own customized user interface skins for DDO?
    Click this sentence for a tutorial learning how, an easy-to-follow video guide.

Community Member

Bear in mind that Eberron doesn't do subraces in general. For example Drow are the only elf variant, rather than the 13 or so subraces found in FR depending on what stat bonuses the player wanted.

Eberron halfings are nothing like the hobbits you seem to be confusing you with. Hobbits are humble, sedentary rural folk. Halflings are tribal nomads who would have little compunction about hunting you down and feeding you to their pet raptor.

Physically Gnones are a bit larger than halflngs, and have a different head structure, but in game terms they would likely still be too similar. Its the same issue with Kalashtar: just play a human with high charisma, and that is pretty much identical to how the game might implement them.
    Culture and attitudes might be very different, but this is an MMO, and less of an MMORPG than for example WoW. Once you start looking at translating PnP stats into MMO ones, there isn't much to differentiate them.

Yeah I don't think Halflings have been stubby barefooted rural folk since 2nd Ed.

I like my Halflings the way they are now.
    When you stand out in the rain, you get wet.

The Long Shot - where I write about stuff: www.thelongshotist.com

because turbine already owns the rights to the real furry midgets and they're on lotr. They got pimpn pony's to!!

Turbine knows we covet these freakish things and makes us play both to feel complete.

I was kidding anyways.

Mostly just pointing out how similar gnomes and halflings looked.