Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default What to farm solo at lvl 20?

As a poorly equipped lvl 20 melee (paladin)?

- Not giant's vault... I hate jumping quests
    - I farm Orchard every week

I'm especially looking for short and relatively easy quests with pretty high level chests, to pass the time for LFMs to fill etc.

Or other wilderness areas with worthwhile chests and a way to reset quickly (rares close to entrance / quest entrance etc.)

I'm mainly looking for de-con items, so anything that is farmed quickly and that drop items with high enchantment levels is fine.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1406 View Post

I'm especially looking for short and relatively easy quests with pretty high level chests, to pass the time for LFMs to fill etc.

Or other wilderness areas with worthwhile chests and a way to reset quickly (rares close to entrance / quest entrance etc.)

I'm mainly looking for de-con items, so anything that is farmed quickly and that drop items with high enchantment levels is fine.
    Unfortunately there is no better quest for that purpose than Giants' Vault. Five minute runs with invis clickies, 30 fire resist, a jump item and optionally killing a few named mobs for 5-6 chests and a high end quest reward is hard to beat. Takes some getting used to the routine, but watching a video helps a lot there.

You could maybe hit up some of the other Inspired Quarter quests out there.

Sunken Parish is one of my favorite quests ever(because I like the puzzle at the end) but that's pretty easy and has a fair number of chests.

I Dream of Jeets is a good one too, for the optional chests. Grab the level 11 fighter hireling named Mikael the Pious, and use him for his DDoor dragonmark to access the optional chests.

You could try Devil Battlefield rare hunting, there's a number of rares within reach of quest entrances out there.

If you are only looking for items to deconstruct, Vale rare runs are pretty quick and painless.

Zone in from the Twelve:
    - Hang left and check the Rakshasa
    - Then go north and check the red named Spider
    - from there go to Crimsonfoot Hive swarm
    - Run back south and check the Djinni
    - Go back north past the Crimsonfoot Hive (Hit shrine if needed)
    - Check if Ogre Magi is up
    - Go north past Meridia to see if the Rock Elemental is up
    - Then make your way as if going to Rainbow, check for Devil
    - Shrine if Needed
    - Check Bats
    - Then go check the Hyena

Possible 10 Chests, very fast.
    BEFORE YOU ENTER REMEMBER THAT THE TOMB IS GUARDED BY TERRIBLE MONSTERS AND MEN WITHOUT MERCY.

Giant's vault, 3 minutes on the xp sheet clock (so <4 minutes RL time) and still getting both rares, it's hard to beat. Admittedly I've only turned out a time that good once, but it is possible. May not be doable without abundant step and/or monk speed.

Boring? Yes. Jump puzzle? Yes. Trivial to do? Yes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post
    Giant's vault, 3 minutes on the xp sheet clock (so <4 minutes RL time) and still getting both rares, it's hard to beat. Admittedly I've only turned out a time that good once, but it is possible. May not be doable without abundant step and/or monk speed.

Boring? Yes. Jump puzzle? Yes. Trivial to do? Yes.
    5 minutes is an average time on my characters with no abundant step type abilities. For that matter even my fvs does it in 5 minutes. Abundant step isn't really needed in there, just mario skills.

Community Member

Hmm Giant's Vault is so annoying... but I'll try inspired quarter and vale, thanks.

So far I can't go below 6 minutes on a Raiding the Giant's Vault run, but even at that time 5 chests plus end reward are worth the effort if you are low on cash.

If you can handle it, Sins of Attrition. On casual, it's not bad as long as you have some sort of DR or AC, and you can still get Keepsakes and Shroud ingredients from it on that difficulty, along with a fair bit of vendor trash.

Gianthold relic farming is also an option if you're bored of Orchard farming.

Quote Originally Posted by HalfOrcBeautyQueen View Post
    If you are only looking for items to deconstruct, Vale rare runs are pretty quick and painless.

Zone in from the Twelve:
    - Hang left and check the Rakshasa
    - Then go north and check the red named Spider
    - from there go to Crimsonfoot Hive swarm
    - Run back south and check the Djinni
    - Go back north past the Crimsonfoot Hive (Hit shrine if needed)
    - Check if Ogre Magi is up
    - Go north past Meridia to see if the Rock Elemental is up
    - Then make your way as if going to Rainbow, check for Devil
    - Shrine if Needed
    - Check Bats
    - Then go check the Hyena

Possible 10 Chests, very fast.
    Just past the hyena is the knoll (with mephits) that always spawns.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.

Short Cuts, beeline for a Large Extractor, and beat down the Horned Devil there. Recall, repeat.

Try a bunch of different CRs until you find one you feel is working well. Higher CR = better loot but also much higher mob stats.

Instance resets itself without any other action.

Edit: Oh and trade off your mana potions. They drop quite a bit (maybe 3-4% of chests) and sell well. Ditto for the most useful non-vendor scrolls - Power Word Kill, Dimension Door, Radiant Forcefield, Silver Weapons, Cold Iron Weapons in about that order.
    Last edited by sirgog; 05-08-2012 at 10:30 PM.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Mining for Ancient Secrets isn't too bad. The one tricky spot if you have poor DPS is the orange named Inspired Mender, but a Weakener makes short work of him. I used to melee him down with such on my pure cleric before Divine Punishment.

Cannith Challenges.

I'd suggest the Cannith Manufactory Slayer myself.

Some very nice named items drop from the rare chests in there.

Only about 50-60 kills per instance - Very much like the Waterworks Slayer to be honest.

Rinse and Repeat

Dreaming Dark on casual is the best loot run for a melee in my opinion - every third (or fourth or fifth, depending on your luck) run you will get a good Ioun stone, and can sell that for plenty more essences than you'd normally get. Solo you can probably run it in 10 minutes or less, and the end reward lists without stones often have Majors and decent renown rewards.

Community Member

I tried some of the suggestions now

- Vale -> too much running, except for bats and the guaranteed gnoll the spawn rate seems worth than Orchard, also absence of "big money" items with decent drop rate like tome pages (I almost always get 1 tome page or shield fragment per ransack)
    - Giant hold -> also a lot of running
    - Cannith manufactory, named bound items mostly
    - Short cuts... nice to kill time if you could get a group / find members at any minute, loot is not that great. at CR18+ demon takes ages to kill for me (I could have done CR 17 twice in the time...)
    - Dreaming Dark, time consuming for me as solo melee, better in a group
    - Sunken Parish.. it's ok (can't do elite solo)
    - Mining for Ancient Secrets only 1 chest
    - I should learn Raiding the giant's vault. All the youtube videos are too fast or low resolution.. a "Giants Vault for dummies" video would be great ;-)

I think ALT characters is the way to go for me...I like leveling alts anyway you will get quite a few items/money just leveling up and once high enough you can do shroud every 3 days and orchard every week with each char.

- I should learn Raiding the giant's vault. All the youtube videos are too fast or low resolution.. a "Giants Vault for dummies" video would be great ;-)
    Good thing I finished something today, huh?

(Yeah, lame advertisement. Sue me.)
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

Community Member

+1
    Awesome! A photo guide is even better than video because you don't have to pause everytime. And your guide is very detailed. :-)

Now I only have to get to 40 jump.... I foolishly put no build points in it. Item +15 , jump +10, +7 from str bonus, +1 good luck, what else (I have no GH clicky)

Get 75 House Phiarlan favor, and you can buy a +30 jump buff (like the spell) that lasts for 30 minutes.

30 Jump Spell (house P)
    7 str
    1 good luck (voice, I suppose)
    2 Heroism potion
    =====
    40 jump (cap)
    Last edited by nibel; 05-27-2012 at 07:58 AM.
    Main: Amossa d'Cannith, Sarlona, casually trying Completionist [<o>]

Almost-never-played-alts: Arquera - Chapolin - Fabber - Herweg - Mecanico - Tenma

I want DDO to be a better game. Those are my personal suggestions on: Ammunition, Archmage, Combat Stances, Deities, Dispel Magic, Epic Destiny Map, Fast Healing, Favor, Favored Enemy, Half-elf Enhancements, Monk Stances, Past Life, Potency, Potions, Ranger Spells, Summons, Tiered Loot.

A private island with Johnny Depp, ahem, I mean my hubby

Hellooooo, Epic Chest Runs anyone? Look them up on Youtube. I would suggest the one in Haywire Foundry. Easier on a caster, but I have guildies that do these religiously on melees solo, so it can be done in short order. Invisibility, Haste, then go!
    When asked, "What are we going to do tonight?" the only acceptable answer is, "The same thing we do every night...Try to take over the world!"
    Sarlona - Auralana, Orcalana, JuicyLucy, Aquani, Wistia, Aurabella, Guildy, etc. If you see the last name Hather, it's either me or the hubby.

Community Member

Epic DQ side chests. Invis clickies/scrolls, true seeing/detect secret doors, underwater action, some wands to supplement your SP healing, striding 30% and jump 40. Invis and drag trash into scorp and jump to the left as the floor collapses, jump to chest, invis and head to monkey, loot chest, invis and go to octo. Three epic chests in less than four minutes.

You can recall to outside the dungeon and grab a reset from a guild-/channel-mate or a dual-boxed account so you don't have to run out again. There's also a shrine just outside to recharge (which you can reset with guildmate/etc when you're inside the dungeon). I used to do this on bluebar melees all the time, but the scorp jump does take a little practice--I would suggest trying on normal first until you get the hang of it
    I Cannith-craft (150 levels in all schools) for free on Thelanis if you provide all needed materials.
    Getting Past Traps without Trap Skills | Musical Musings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast