Default Tech Support, QC, and other things (suggestion)

I'll apologize now for the length of this post....but here it is.

So...yeah. I'm involved with the LotR download debacle (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=371667) that's currently going on and affecting a few folks. I've uninstalled, removed folders, renamed stuff, done what I've found on the forums and through suggestions and haven't (yet) been able to get things to work. Got an e-mail from tech support today giving me detailed instructions to do what I've already done. OK...fine....we'll do it again.

I called Turbine (number is on the website - http://support.turbine.com/ics/support/contactUs.asp) Account Management and explained what was going on. The individual that I talked to had no idea what was going on, so I went into a little bit of detail and he gave me the usual response of "submit a ticket"....yeah...did that.

I asked for a telephone number or to be connected to Tech Support. I'm sorry....I don't have that information.

OK. Great.

How about Quality Control? No, you have to send them an e-mail.

OK.

I used great constraint this morning, to not say what was on my mind in regards to what the definition of Customer Service should be.... I'm still using it now. It's hard....trust me.

So what do we really have here? I can call to suspend my account, I can call to pay more on my account, I can call to add to my account...but I can't call to find out what is wrong with my account? Or talk to a person about it that knows what's going on? Not very....supportive....to me, at least.

OK...moving on.

This individual's suggestion was to post to the forums...there's a wide community of people out there that can help you!

Really? No offense to those computer-type folks out there. I've followed some advice that I've read (sorry...not going to dig around in my PC subfolders...not a comfort spot for me) and was at least able to get DDO to come up and not LotR. But...I'm currently stuck at the Examine Game Data step in start-up. Corrupted something or can't sync....dunno...not gonna look either.

I followed the online FAQ and got to (http://support.turbine.com/link/port...Game-Data-step) point...which did me nothing.

What astounded me was that the customer service rep was expecting the community of players to provide the answer...not the dev's or programmers of the game.....

I can call my telephone company about issues with my account, or technical about what's going on. Same thing with my DSL or Satelite dish. I can call about something going on with my Air conditioning...even what's going on with my computer or insurance, car repair, and so on ad nauseum. Short of the monthly bills, everything I have besides my house is paid for, but if something is wrong, I can call tech support and get an answer....I can make a complaint to a human being and get some sort of resolution even if it's just lip-service.

But let's get to the main idea behind this thread.

My suggestion?

1. Give us a Tech Support telephone number that requires a code AFTER you submit a ticket and respond to an e-mail that you have to use to enter to talk to a person in tech support. The technology is there. I think it should be used.

2. Give us a Quality Control telephone number where we can actually talk to someone; same rules as the tech support.

3. Give us a Complaint telephone number which follows the same lines as above.

Folks, we've all had some sort of experience with a game (any online game) that is/was frustrating. I'm frustrated.

Admittedly, yes...it's just a game. I've been playing AD&D since the early to mid 1980's. Long time. I've seen the evolution of the PnP game over the past 20 to 30 years (wow....really showing my age here....).

Now, in this game I can play and see it.

To me, as a gamer geek, that's a big deal. The guys that I role-played with for better than 20 years would talk about how cool it would be to see something like this.....and here it is....and we can't talk to the GM's about the problems....
    --Fallen Immortals, Thelanis

EDIT:

Not sure if I can discuss support/GM tickets and whatnot, so I'll just snip this out.

Long story short, the support teams are trying, but they don't seem to be fully informed between themselves and between them and the higher ups.
    Last edited by TekkenDevil; 05-08-2012 at 07:43 PM.

1. Give us a Tech Support telephone number that requires a code AFTER you submit a ticket and respond to an e-mail that you have to use to enter to talk to a person in tech support. The technology is there. I think it should be used.
    No. Most issues are unrelated to the actual software. Before you go ranting let me explain. Some people experience audio issues and of course since it happens in DDO, it's DDO's problem. But the solution to this issue most of the time is to update your audio drivers.

Now why should Turbine pay their technical support personnel to walk you through updating your audio drivers? Drivers and hardware aren't their problem and they don't make any money from them. And yet there's huge companies out there just waiting with 800 numbers so you can call and they can fix your audio drivers.

Email support is also easier for the company, and allows them to use scripts that can't be used over the phone.

And lets not forget the fact that users are, for all intents and purposes, dumb. They are insistent that the issue is Turbine's fault and demand they fix it on their end, but more than likely they'll hang up before actually allowing someone to help them.

2. Give us a Quality Control telephone number where we can actually talk to someone; same rules as the tech support.
    No. QC is never a publicly available department. You're just fishing for someone else to complain to.

3. Give us a Complaint telephone number which follows the same lines as above.
    Almost never a good thing. Why? Complaint departments are known internally as retention departments. They are there to find out what the issue is and how to keep you as a customer without actually fixing the issue. They can't fix the issue because they aren't technical support. But they can transfer you.

And in regards to your issue, someone actually posted a fix on the forums. I'll try and find it and paste it here.

Found it. Here is the fix someone else received from Turbine support. Found at http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=34

Thank you for contacting Turbine Technical Support. To start reboot the PC and then perform the following steps:
    Click on the Windows "Start" button and choose "Computer" from the list
    In there double-click on your C: drive (may display as "Local Disk C")
    Double-click on "Program Files" (note: if you see "Program Files (x86)" double-click on that one instead)
    In that folder double-click on the "Turbine" folder and then the "Dungeons & Dragons Online" folder
    Within that folder if listed delete the "Patches" and/or "Bindat" folders and then perform the additional steps outlined below:
    Open the "Backup" folder
    Copy the entire contents of your backup folder (Ctrl + A to highlight all, Ctrl + C to copy)
    Go back to the Dungeons & Dragons Online program folder (Click the Back button in the upper left corner of the folder window) and press Ctrl + V to paste, choosing Yes to All when prompted to overwrite files.
    Upon relaunching the game it should proceed to redownload the most recent patches.
    Thank you,
    The Turbine Technical Support Team

Edit 2

There's a further update for this issue from Turbine. Check the post below. It's from the same thread as the post above.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=72

Let me know if this works please (Important: ONLY perform these steps if you find the two files specified, if you don't see them in there do nothing but do post a reply saying that you didn't find them):
    Click on the Windows "Start" button and choose "Computer" from the list
    In there double-click on your C: drive (may display as "Local Disk C")
    Double-click on "Program Files" (note: if you see "Program Files (x86)" double-click on that one instead)
    In that folder double-click on the "Turbine" folder and then the "Dungeons & Dragons Online" folder (it might be "DDO Unlimited" if it is a newer install)

With the launcher closed out (make sure the ddo icon isn't up near the Windows clock), look in this folder for these two files listed:

client_cell_2.dat
    client_map_2.dat

(If you see these two they most likely will be around 1,024kb in size)

If you find them in your install folder right-click these two files (and only those two specifcally) choosing delete (leave them in the recycle bin just in case for now) and relaunch the game to test.

Tech Support: Agreed, most issues are unrelated to the software...however, there are times when it is software related...then what? I never said they should pay someone to update drivers or anything of the like. What the intent is if all other resources are exhausted....there should be a tech support line for DDO related issues. You cannot tell me that you or someone you know has not had that kind of problem.

QC: Not fishing to complain or trolling to tick anyone off.

QC is a valid department. I work construction as an Engineer. QC is available, both to the workers and to the public. It's there. It exists. And it's there for a reason. QC is supposed to have a log of issues to work through and make sure it get's done along with confirming that the material/equipment/service provided is adequate to the customer base at all times. Again, as the above with Tech Support, the intent it'd be a one time call.

Insofar as complaints, meh....yeah...extra on the top because you know what? you can log a ticket all day, whether as a complaint or as a QC related thing...you don't hear back about it...for all we know it goes directly to a recycle bin.

In regards to my issue that I experienced, thanks for looking but I solved it outright by completely deleting DDO from my PC. Already handled and in game. The fixes they posted...they didn't work for me, or a lot of other people. Most folks had to go and do the same thing I did to "fix" the problem...which was eradicate it from the computer and start over again.
    --Fallen Immortals, Thelanis