Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Community Member PeWBOOMPeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default Bonk (18sorc/2monk)

    So, i had a sorc laying around i thought i might want to do something with. Got bored with other builds, needed something new and interesting. On one of my main caster's previous lives i went 2 monk 18 sorc THF purely for leveling purposes. It was actually really fun leveling, but in epics...it just didnt cut it. Not enough sp to cast, not enough tohit/damage, no DCs. i got a sorc life though! Anyway, i thought, "This would be a really fun build if i could make it work". So I present my...gimpy sorc thing. Just looking for some critiques.

    Bonk
    Warforged 18 Sorcerer/2 Monk
    Lawful Neutral
    Stats
    34 Point Build (36 point cha to 12, int to 9 and a +1 tome for more skills!)
    Strength=17+5levels+7enhancement+3exceptional+2tom e=34+2ship+2yugo+2rage=40
    Dexterity=8+6enhancement+2tome=16
    Constitution=20+6enhancement+2WarforgedEnhancement +2tome=30+2ship+2yugo+2rage=36
    Int=8
    Wis=6
    Cha=11+6enhancement+1SorcererEnhancement+2tome

    Feats
    (S)1.Maximize
    (M)2.Toughness
    (S)3.Empower
    (S)6.Extend
    (S)9.Quicken
    (M)10.Power Attack
    (S)12.Arcane Prodigy (Sorcerer Past Life)
    (S)15.Mental Toughness
    (S)18.Improved Mental Toughness

    Enhancements
    Sorcerer Improved Empowering I
    Sorcerer Improved Empowering II
    Way of the Patient Tortoise I
    Racial Toughness I
    Racial Toughness II
    Racial Toughness III
    Racial Toughness IV
    Sorcerer Earth Savant I
    Sorcerer Earth Savant II
    Sorcerer Earth Savant III
    Corrosive Spellcasting I
    Corrosive Spellcasting II
    Corrosive Spellcasting III
    Corrosive Spellcasting IV
    Corrosive Spellcasting V
    Corrosive Spellcasting VI
    Kinetic Spellcasting I
    Reconstructive Spellcasting I
    Deadly Acid I
    Deadly Acid II
    Deadly Acid III
    Deadly Acid IV
    Deadly Acid V
    Deadly Acid VI
    Deadly Kinetics I
    Mighty Reconstruction I
    Acid Manipulation I
    Acid Manipulation II
    Acid Manipulation III
    Acid Manipulation IV
    Acid Manipulation V
    Acid Manipulation VI
    Acid Manipulation VII
    Force Manipulation I
    Repair Manipulation I
    Repair Manipulation II
    Repair Manipulation III
    Repair Manipulation IV
    Repair Manipulation V
    Repair Manipulation VI
    Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I
    Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded II
    Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded III
    Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded IV
    Sorcerer Charisma I
    Warforged Constitution I
    Warforged Constitution II
    Warforged Inscribed Armor I
    Warforged Power Attack I
    Warforged Power Attack II
    Warforged Power Attack III

    Gears!
    (note this is just what i thought i could do on my side toon...i have no doubt this can be improved!)
    Concordant Opposition GS Helm (Disease and Blindness immunity/+150sp)
    Torin's Choker
    Vibrant Purple Ioun Stone
    GS +45 hp cloak
    Morgana's Belt
    Warchanter's Ring
    Epic Brawling Gloves (Tier 2)
    Epic Rock Boots (Tier 3)
    Epic Ring of the Stalker (Tier 3)
    Tharne's Bracers
    Quorforged Docent of Battle
    Tharne's Goggles

    You got some 'splainin to do...
    Lets start from the top. Two Monk gives me feat room to work with. Sorcs are quite starved. With the 18 sorc I get PrE III for lovely bonuses (and most importantly earthgrab, but more of that later!) Warforged for easier self healing and greater survivability. Being able to just hit reconstruct is far nicer than having to switch to a heal scroll, as well as healing more. Also quorforged docent frees up a couple slots that are nice to have open.

    Feats weren't too tough. Metas, toughness, Power attack so i'm actually useful in melee Mental Toughness, Arcane prodigy and Improved Mental Toughness. Arcane prodigy was a no-brainer-More sp, helps me qualify for PrE, and a free somewhat potentially almost coming close to sort of being useful clicky. Mental toughness and Improved Mental Toughness help me achieve one of my goals with this build-have enough sp to be useful as a caster as well. If you wanted to, for more melee ability you could switch IMT for IC:Slashing (which I may actually do when i see how i handle SP in epics) I think either way i'll keep MT.

    Enhancements. I went earth savant for a couple reasons-Earthgrab is ridiculously useful! Also 10 hp is cool :P. Anyway, I plan to get in and spam Earthgrab on my targets, and Otto's irresistible to try to keep things off of me in the group. (how will i ever have time to bonk?!?) First tier of several things cause they provide a huge bonus as compared to other tiers, maxed sp enhancements for the same reason as MT/IMT. I may switch tortoise path for hound for the +2 flanking to hit if i need it.

    Gears! Most of the gear can be rearranged to maximize potential, but i didnt want the ultimate pwnz0rz h4x gear, i wanted gear i could get in a reasonable amount of time for a side toon. Went with stalker and tharnes for the sneak attack bonus-+12 damage and +8 tohit IIRC, quite nice. The only thing missing is heavy fort, but i will most likely put that on a belt instead of warpriest ( bye bye +2 tohit). If i can fit heavy fort in somewhere else i'd love to. Conc opp helm for obvious reasons, cloak will be earthgrab guard. Rock boots give me superior acid lore, earthgrab guard, epic corrosion 6. Torins for potency, vibrant purple for sp, warchanters ring for +6 cha and +3 excep strength. Not sure on weapon though i may go with earthgrab GS or terror.

    Plan is to get in there, toss some acid rain/earthgrab and beat em up!
    (I didnt calculate exact numbers but its something around +65 base damage buffed up with sneak and +54 tohit without BAB progression)


    Can drop tharnes bracers, put conc opp there, put minos back on, get the warpriest belt for +2 tohit.


    why so much earthgrab? well you see...


    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by PeWBOOMPeW; 05-08-2012 at 08:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    If you're going to melee then you want IC:S. Issue is that you're better off (and more valuable to a party) as a DoT tank so grab shield mastery (needs proficiency).

    I rarely run out of SP on my sorcerer even keeping active (as active as swinging a weapon for instance), much more DPS available there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    898

    Default

    Is Power attack really necessary?

    Awesome against portals and stuff. But combined with warforged power attack III, won't you be doing a fair bit of whiffing? (I would assume your acid clouds and such would cause a fair bit of aggro, so can't really count on sneak attack bonuses?)

    I would think improved critical would be a better choice, as well as freeing up some ap.
    Thelanis:
    Annikka (Sorc), Dannikka (F), Jannikka (Rgr)
    Tamikka (Bard), Famikka (Rgr)
    Bellynda (Cl), Mellynda (M)

  4. #4
    Community Member PeWBOOMPeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    If you're going to melee then you want IC:S. Issue is that you're better off (and more valuable to a party) as a DoT tank so grab shield mastery (needs proficiency).

    I rarely run out of SP on my sorcerer even keeping active (as active as swinging a weapon for instance), much more DPS available there.
    DoT tanks are boring! and a DoT tank isnt as useful in epics other than on bosses. I am probably going with IC:S, but i want to see how i can manage sp. I like to nuke...
    Quote Originally Posted by RobbinB View Post
    Is Power attack really necessary?

    Awesome against portals and stuff. But combined with warforged power attack III, won't you be doing a fair bit of whiffing? (I would assume your acid clouds and such would cause a fair bit of aggro, so can't really count on sneak attack bonuses?)

    I would think improved critical would be a better choice, as well as freeing up some ap.
    My acid clouds and stuff WILL grab a fair bit of aggro-hence earthgrab. That way i'll get the sneak attack bonuses. Also i dont plan on going into epics as the main caster in general (so there will be holds!), though i may sometimes. Lastly i'm going to run DP clicky and DF clicky almost always. Imp Destruction/sunder and BAB progression and i should be hitting reliably.

  5. #5
    Community Member Nubicus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Occupy House Kundarak
    Posts
    165

    Default

    O.o wut?
    Let me prefice by saying, if you want to do this as a flavor build... sure. But if you want to run epics with this, I'd say go back to the drawing board.

    To Hit:
    10/10/15
    25/25/30 +15 from strength
    29/29/34 +4 GH
    33/33/38 Buffs?

    41/41/46 Sneak Attack

    -8 while in Power attack

    Where are you getting 65 base damage and +54 bab? I think your numbers might be off.

    A normal monk fully buffed and properly geared out will be 'okay' with power attack on, but I don't see you hitting on anything but 20's.

    I guess you could take Tensor's Transformation, but then you're not self sufficient anymore, unless you chug silver flame pots, but that opens up a whole other can of worms.

    Your spell DC's are not going to be very good at all, considering you only have an 18 charisma.

    You dumped wisdom, so your AC is hurting fairly badly.

    +36 Con = 260 hp
    18 Sorc = 72 hp
    2 Monk = 16 hp
    GS = 45 hp
    For the sake of argument Earth Stance = 20 hp
    413 hp.... Not something you want in melee without a High AC or some sort of Damage Mitigation.

    There's just no synergy between Sorc and Monk in this build. You can still cast some stuff, but your DC's aren't high. You won't be able to melee anything. You're feats are lacking the two weapon fighting needed to make monks effective melees.

    The only thing, really, you get out of the build is Evasion. So... There's that.
    Officer of the Kobold Workers' Union

    Fudder Partyshield, Ragnirock

  6. #6
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    569

    Default

    Even with 18 sorcerer levels i think you'll do more damage by casting spells than going melee. You could go pure and take toughness, maximise, empower, quicken, sorcerer past life, shield proficiency and shield mastery so you don't lose the capstone or any caster levels and have 15% damage reduction. Combine that with a docent of defiance and a torc and you've got free sp.

    Even if mobs save against every spell you can still do very good damage and would be useful in epics.

    If you want to go the melee sorc route for flavour then that's entirely your decision, but i think an arcane tank would be more useful all round.

  7. #7
    Community Member PeWBOOMPeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nubicus View Post
    O.o wut?
    Let me prefice by saying, if you want to do this as a flavor build... sure. But if you want to run epics with this, I'd say go back to the drawing board.

    To Hit:
    10/10/15
    25/25/30 +15 from strength
    29/29/34 +4 GH
    33/33/38 Buffs?

    41/41/46 Sneak Attack

    -8 while in Power attack

    Where are you getting 65 base damage and +54 bab? I think your numbers might be off.

    A normal monk fully buffed and properly geared out will be 'okay' with power attack on, but I don't see you hitting on anything but 20's.

    I guess you could take Tensor's Transformation, but then you're not self sufficient anymore, unless you chug silver flame pots, but that opens up a whole other can of worms.

    Your spell DC's are not going to be very good at all, considering you only have an 18 charisma.

    You dumped wisdom, so your AC is hurting fairly badly.

    +36 Con = 260 hp
    18 Sorc = 72 hp
    2 Monk = 16 hp
    GS = 45 hp
    For the sake of argument Earth Stance = 20 hp
    413 hp.... Not something you want in melee without a High AC or some sort of Damage Mitigation.

    There's just no synergy between Sorc and Monk in this build. You can still cast some stuff, but your DC's aren't high. You won't be able to melee anything. You're feats are lacking the two weapon fighting needed to make monks effective melees.

    The only thing, really, you get out of the build is Evasion. So... There's that.
    Okay you arent great at math :P Ill break it all down
    20BAB(DP CLicky!)+5enhancement on weapon+4gh+1haste+15 str+2 ship+8 sneak attack iirc+9 bard buffs iirc-8 PA. Progression i'm not sure on with BAB but i think its +10? either way with sunder and imp destruction i'll be hitting.

    Now hp! I admit its low, i'll be hitting like 550.
    20 heroic dura
    15 GH favor
    72 sorc
    16 monk
    5 monk path
    40 sfl
    45 gs
    40 toughness enhancements
    20 toughness gear
    10 earth savant
    20 yugo sideeffect
    260 con
    22 toughness feat
    Total is 580

    Damage tiem!
    Shall we say GS greatsword or falchion?
    2d6/3d6+5weapon enhance+2 ship+22.5 str+16 PA+13 Sneak attack+9 bard buffs+1 divine favor. lemme know if you see i missed anything

    On the topic of taking too much aggro, tharnes set bonus will help with that.
    EDIT:Helpless from all the earthgrabbage will be a nice bonus to damage aswell. i THINK there's a penalty on AC when something is helpless. Anyone got any info?
    EDIT 2:Helpless reduces their dexterity to 0, a -5 modifier. Min -5 ac, not sure on the dex of most epic mobs. Melee against helpless mobs also grants +4 tohit. This is from the wiki
    Last edited by PeWBOOMPeW; 05-08-2012 at 08:30 PM.

  8. #8
    Community Member Goob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Omg I love you for the sole reason of you putting the meme

  9. #9
    Community Member Kennyburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    332

    Default Want an intersting sorc?

    Well Here Is An Interesting Sorc
    KennyBurns Full Build
    Past Lives: Wizard, Sorcerer

    Starting Stats
    Str 8
    Dex 8
    Con 20
    Int 12
    Wis 6
    Cha 21
    Skills - Concentration, Intimidate, UMD
    +2 Tome of All
    +3 Tome of Charisma
    Fighter Lvl 1
    Sorcerer Lvl 2-20
    Feats (In order)
    1:Toughness X1
    1:Fighter - Shield Mastery
    3:Maximize
    6:Empower
    9:Quicken
    12:Spell Focus Evocation
    15: Heighten
    18:Improved Shield Mastery
    Enhancements
    Improved Maximize 2 - 6
    Racial Toughness 3 - 6
    Air Sav 3 - 8
    Maxed Out Electric Damage and Crit - 19
    Maxed Out Ice Damage and 1 In Crits - 9
    Maxed Out Repair Damage - 7
    Sorc Sp 2 - 3
    Sorc Charisma 3 - 12
    WF Con 2 - 6
    Fighter Toughness - 1
    WF Healers Friend - 2
    WF Inscribed Armor - 1
    Sorcerer DC/Nuke/Tank possible to add melee if you want to it but that is just a loss of dps, not a gain
    Gear
    helm/boot/glove/cloak/bracer epic abi
    docent epic blademarks
    trinket litany
    goggles gs hp con op
    neck torc
    belt/ring1 air sav tod set
    ring2 ring of the master arty
    hands staff of petitioner
    con op dwarf axe str6/20%/30%heal amp
    Alchemical heavy shield t1 mystic water, t2 martial earth
    lorrik shield
    Hp ~660
    More version of this build here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...90#post4442890
    Last edited by Kennyburns; 05-08-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    Officer Of Templar - Now Recruiting
    KennyBurns - Electric Savant DPS~ KennyFails The Completionist - Rogue Stick Life 15/15 Completionist ~ KennyHeals - Fvs Healer~ KennyRanges - TWF Manyshoot Of Cannith

  10. #10
    Community Member PeWBOOMPeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyburns View Post
    Well Here Is An Interesting Sorc
    KennyBurns Full Build
    Past Lives: Wizard, Sorcerer

    *snip*
    Did you read...ANY of my posts?

  11. #11
    Community Member Phidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeWBOOMPeW View Post
    So, i had a sorc laying around i thought i might want to do something with. Got bored with other builds, needed something new and interesting. On one of my main caster's previous lives i went 2 monk 18 sorc THF purely for leveling purposes. It was actually really fun leveling, but in epics...it just didnt cut it. Not enough sp to cast, not enough tohit/damage, no DCs. i got a sorc life though! Anyway, i thought, "This would be a really fun build if i could make it work". So I present my...gimpy sorc thing. Just looking for some critiques.
    ...
    You say you are looking for critiques, but somehow I doubt it.

    I think you might be putting a bit too much stock in a 4% guard that only lasts 6 seconds.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

  12. #12
    Community Member Anthios888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    3,150

    Default

    This reminds me of a guildie's "SorcOrc" obsession.

    Here's where he posted the build way back, and Here's him today. I think it turned out not to be his favorite thing, but he is good in long quests because the sword helps stretch things out. I can't recall if he took improved critical, but I probably would if you get an epic weapon. For leveling, you could make a mineral II and skip the feat.

    This was a lot cooler when hold person/monster made all of your swings land.

    Hope that helps as a basis for comparison.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

  13. #13
    Community Member PeWBOOMPeW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phidius View Post
    You say you are looking for critiques, but somehow I doubt it.

    I think you might be putting a bit too much stock in a 4% guard that only lasts 6 seconds.
    you're probably right on both points lol. someone saying you may want to take this feat rather than this is helpful, but someone essentially saying restart, your build sucks, then trying to prove their point with incorrect math doesnt help me.
    Last edited by PeWBOOMPeW; 05-10-2012 at 06:54 AM.

  14. #14
    Community Member Phidius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeWBOOMPeW View Post
    you're probably right on both points lol. someone saying you may want to take this feat rather than this is helpful, but someone essentially saying restart, your build sucks, then trying to prove their point with incorrect math doesnt help me.
    I know from experience that it's really hard to give constructive advice on a build that one perceives to be doomed.

    The good news is that while the Rock Boots may not proc enough to give you sneak attack 100% of the time, you can always slot Sleet Storm and do your fighting inside it.

    Most bosses won't be affected by either one, but it'll work just fine for the trash mobs that don't run away and hit you with ranged weapons/spells.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

  15. #15

    Default

    Does earthgrab guard from a greensteel item stack with the guard proc from the Rock Boots?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload