Thread: Dungeon Scaling

Community Member

Default Dungeon Scaling

Hello all, I have a quick question about the dungeon scaling feature.

If I want to make a quest more difficult, and its already on elite, is it enough to have 5 other people on my team, or do they need to be in the dungeon with me?

Thanks in advance!

Dungeon scaling is scaled based on the amount of player characters (or hirelings) inside the instance. If they are in your group but not in your instance, they do not contribute to the dungeon scaling.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    Dungeon scaling is scaled based on the amount of player characters (or hirelings) inside the instance. If they are in your group but not in your instance, they do not contribute to the dungeon scaling.
    And they have to move from the load in region. Discovered that running CC.

Had a hireling who didn't move (per his instructions). then half way through the quest, he got moved. Suddenly spawns that were missing from our run were showing up.

Maybe it was something special with hirelings, but we didnt' do that again to reproduce it. The new spawns where it was cleared was annoying.

Another question on that.. If i have a hireling in party for a part of the instance and dismiss it during the run, does the extra scaling dissapear?
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_meh View Post
    1337 x Pi = 80081E5

per dev comments as far as im aware

1) dungeon scaling (mostly) doesnt apply on elite quests. if there is scaling on elite it is supposed to be minimal. (i believe there is an unstated differentiation between dungeon scaling and spawn scaling in quests such as weapons shipment). there is scaling on hard but it should be less noticable than on normal.

2) dungeon scaling is not based off of a full party. there should be little difference between a party of 5 and a party of 6 as far as scaling is concerned.

3) hirelings should minimaly affect dungeon scaling if at all.

I have noticed however there seems to be a debate about whether or not this is actually working as intended and/or perhaps there are issues with how well it works if it is WAI in some other threads (as in full scaling on normal may be worse than on elite).
    Shamgar ~ Pjstechie ~ Melchizedek ~ Habakkuk ~ Josheb ~ Magoi ~ Kinnor ~ Eshek ~ Zakchaios ~ Jephthah ~ Bartimaios ~ Ehudh ~ Bezaleluri ~ Nebuchad ~ Lava Divers (Khyber) ~ Epic Education ~ Building Blocks ~ DDOCast ~ contact me

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by khamastus View Post
    Another question on that.. If i have a hireling in party for a part of the instance and dismiss it during the run, does the extra scaling dissapear?
    I believe so. This is why if you're having trouble in a dungeon you can just wait for someone to rage quit, the quest becomes noticeably easier (even if the rage quitter was your highest DPS character). I haven't done any hard testing on this though but this is coming from my experience with people leaving groups and/or dismissing a hire.

PJ: it doesn't matter what they said or if it's WAI fact is there is significant scaling on elite difficulty. So the OP can increase the dungeon difficulty if he wanted by having friends pike (though maybe they can't be AFK if missing minds is right
    Cannith - Noehealz, Protectorjon, Noebuffs, Mortion

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    And they have to move from the load in region. Discovered that running CC.

Had a hireling who didn't move (per his instructions). then half way through the quest, he got moved. Suddenly spawns that were missing from our run were showing up.

Maybe it was something special with hirelings, but we didnt' do that again to reproduce it. The new spawns where it was cleared was annoying.
    If this is true it would be interesting to me, anyone else notice? CC has spawns that will get stuck behind undead from time to time. I've had two raid parties show up in the center at the same time. The named also seem to be late at times. Also the raid parties gain in CR as the timer drops. I've noticed this soloing without hires....

If he is talking about undead spawns, then yes that's a known problem in CC(at least for me and some friends, not sure about the devs). I am not sure why it happens but I think this only happened at times of full server load(peak gaming hours) for me.
    Some undead spawns didn't spawn or only half of them spawned when the CC instance started, such spawns respawn after some time and is not caused by dungeon scaling.
    Because whenever I noticed that I was playing CC in a full group where everyone entered nearly at the same time and no one piked at the starting zone.

That's why I guess it's caused by high server load, because I only remember this happening at these times of the day.
    Last edited by Shinjiteru; 05-09-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pjstechie View Post
    per dev comments as far as im aware

1) dungeon scaling (mostly) doesnt apply on elite quests. if there is scaling on elite it is supposed to be minimal. (i believe there is an unstated differentiation between dungeon scaling and spawn scaling in quests such as weapons shipment). there is scaling on hard but it should be less noticable than on normal.

2) dungeon scaling is not based off of a full party. there should be little difference between a party of 5 and a party of 6 as far as scaling is concerned.

3) hirelings should minimaly affect dungeon scaling if at all.

I have noticed however there seems to be a debate about whether or not this is actually working as intended and/or perhaps there are issues with how well it works if it is WAI in some other threads (as in full scaling on normal may be worse than on elite).
    Are some things the Devs have said which are NOT what be implemented in design first off Normal, Hard and Elite settings are all suppose to be based on a party of four, (five and six scale things up) that they have correct.

But... they say and document something totally different than what we esperience with dungeon scaling. They've Elite's scaleing is hardly noticable.

Fact be Elite does scale down ... in fact by 50% when soling (is about the same as normal scaling). This is both in mob number and the damage from them, a good test example, take a twisted talisman and use it in an elite setting, it yields "fixed" damage. In the same elite quest it yield half the damage to you while recharging sp when alone compared to with a party of four.

Quote Originally Posted by morticianjohn View Post
    PJ: it doesn't matter what they said or if it's WAI fact is there is significant scaling on elite difficulty. So the OP can increase the dungeon difficulty if he wanted by having friends pike (though maybe they can't be AFK if missing minds is right
    This is correct ... scaling is based on the number of people "in the dungeon" ... BUT ... note each set of (activated mob) is dependent on the number of people in the dungeon at the time. i.e. three people go in and start clearing while others are running out ... the first few set of mob activated are scaled down due only three people are inside - if any are active while the forth and fifth enter (midst encounter) they are not rescaled ... the next set of spawned/activated mob will be scaled up.
    Last edited by Emili; 05-09-2012 at 09:05 AM.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Community Member HungarianRhapsody's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    After poking around in some challenges, I've noticed that having other people in the party seems to have an effect on scaling in the challenge even if they are not in the challenge itself. I need to do more testing to see if I can confirm this, but it really does seem as though something is wonky in the challenges.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyiwin View Post
    If this is true it would be interesting to me, anyone else notice? CC has spawns that will get stuck behind undead from time to time. I've had two raid parties show up in the center at the same time. The named also seem to be late at times. Also the raid parties gain in CR as the timer drops. I've noticed this soloing without hires....
    Undead only, not the hobs.

And yes, the hobs actually get higher in CR as timer decreases. I think that one is actually WAI.