Question Totally Useless, but interesting question

I once asked which would initiate first: Silver Flame Trinket or Belt of Thoughtful Rememberance (sic) - the answer, of course, was Trinket first THEN Belt, due to the description on the belt I overlooked "after all other protections have been applied".

What if we have two (or more, I suppose) such items as the belt on... 1) do BOTH apply themselves to the incoming dmg or is it like stacking, where only one applies and 2) if the former, does it equate to 40% of the incoming negative dmg OR 20% reduction, then 20% reduction of the leftover.

I have no idea why I started down this train of thought.

I don't wanna put more items like these on and test it myself, as I am afraid it might represent a paradox and cause a singularity to form over the Turbine Datacenter or something.

Community Member

Non-identical values of absorption will all apply, but not additively. Let's say you have Firestorm Greaves (33% Fire Absorb) and Fire Shield: Cold (50% Fire Absorb). Incoming fire damage would take off 50%, then 33% (or 33%, then 50%), for a net reduction of 66%.

And when you have Cold shield, Firestorm Greaves, greensteel fire absorption 20% 15% and 10% you get a 80% reduction.

COOL! Thanks - the "after all other" line was messing with me... was thinking "do both items wait on the other???"

Community Member

That line refers to the order of processing absorption/resistance/protection. Let's say you have 120 points of Protection from Fire, 30 points of Fire Resistance, Fire Absorption 50%, and a high reflex save. You get hit with a 300 point Delayed Blast Fireball.

First, you roll to save. Failure means we start with full damage (300), success means you take only half (150). Let's say that you succeed, so now you're looking at 150 damage.
    Next, we deduct Protection OR Resistance, whichever is higher. In this case, Protection is higher, so we deduct 120 points. You're now facing 30 damage.
    Before moving on, we remove the amount deducted from your remaining Protection, which in this case drops it to zero (note that you do this subtraction even if your Resistance was higher than your Protection).
    Last, we apply the 50% Absorption, reducing the damage from 30 to 15.

Quote Originally Posted by fco-karatekid View Post
    I once asked which would initiate first: Silver Flame Trinket or Belt of Thoughtful Rememberance (sic) - the answer, of course, was Trinket first THEN Belt, due to the description on the belt I overlooked "after all other protections have been applied".

What if we have two (or more, I suppose) such items as the belt on... 1) do BOTH apply themselves to the incoming dmg or is it like stacking, where only one applies and 2) if the former, does it equate to 40% of the incoming negative dmg OR 20% reduction, then 20% reduction of the leftover.

I have no idea why I started down this train of thought.

I don't wanna put more items like these on and test it myself, as I am afraid it might represent a paradox and cause a singularity to form over the Turbine Datacenter or something.
    I don't think the Datacenter Turbine uses would be affected but this might happen...
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices