Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Explain the Kobold Shaman companion, please?

I'm fairly "meh" on the idea of cosmetic pets running around Stormreach in general, but the Kobold Shaman really grates on me.
    The other pets I can accept, as they are constructs or animals, but Kobolds are an intelligent, sentient, race. And judging by the size of the Kobolds in question, they are most likely Kobold children, merely dressed up as shaman (shamen?).

So is the ownership of Kobold child slaves, among the "Good" civilised races we represent in particular, a common and accepted part of Eberron lore? Or is it just a case of Turbine sacrificing authenticity to make more money?

If the latter, when are we going to get Halfling pets, then? :P

wanna WF pets NOW !

Community Member

I was gonna say the Kobold Shaman companions were DDO versions of Short Round. However, Short Round pulled his wait in the movie, so maybe they are a less noisy Kate Capshaw. Then I thought about it some more and decided that they were actually Gizmo minus the "Don't Get them Wet" problem of producing soulless evil entities that want to destroy civilization, like the Kardashians.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Companions can't be hurt in any way... not by adventurers, not by monsters... kobolds realise this & foster out some of their younguns as part of an educational programme to teach them exactly WHY "kobold remember waterworks" without actually exposing them to danger, while simultaneously gathering intelligence on their opressors.. a little humiliation & emotional trauma now, a great deal of revenge & the eventual liberation of kobold-kind later.

I reckon Arbold actually is a dragon after all (or at least very strong draconic heritage), and in the expansion (or a future mod) he'll appear with an "i told you so! raaaghhh!" and be allied with the truthful one to allow him to right the wrongs to his kobold kin, causing him to become one of the toughest raid bosses yet encountered since he'll already have access to our secrets from those harmless little "pets" we've had.

Or, the devs simply thought it was "cute" without taking into account the potential for crimes against sentience. Take your pick.
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

i saved my kobold shaman from a troupe of bugbears raiding their cave for arts and crafts supplies. his parents were murdered and i took him under my wing, and it was pretty obvious that his now-deceased family were some of the more upper echelon of the kobold hierarchy. his ability to use arcane magics at such a young age tells me he was meant to become a great priest of the kobold tribe, perhaps even a great warlord.

but now i get him to do tricks on the street corner for spare change.
    Soturi . Ghallanda Rerolled
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

Brissy Australia(u wouldn't know where the real town was)

Quote Originally Posted by Urist View Post
    I'm fairly "meh" on the idea of cosmetic pets running around Stormreach in general, but the Kobold Shaman really grates on me.
    The other pets I can accept, as they are constructs or animals, but Kobolds are an intelligent, sentient, race. And judging by the size of the Kobolds in question, they are most likely Kobold children, merely dressed up as shaman (shamen?).

So is the ownership of Kobold child slaves, among the "Good" civilised races we represent in particular, a common and accepted part of Eberron lore?? :P
    Yes

I agree it is a bizarre idea, and I can't understand how of all the possible creatures that could serve as pets they came up with a child kobold shaman (are they born shamans already?) and a rat with its brains on the outside.

Then again it's very easy to get over it, so I did just that.

So is the ownership of Kobold child slaves, among the "Good" civilised races we represent in particular, a common and accepted part of Eberron lore?
    Am only "Good" at being "Bad". "b'side, "Kobold still hate you!", done told me so.

Heck, I use umd to fool a "Pure Good" item.
    Last edited by Emili; 05-05-2012 at 07:32 AM.
    A Baker's dozen in the Prophets of the New Republic and Fallen Heroes.
    Abaigeal(TrBd25), Ailiae(TrDrd2), Ambyre(Rgr25), Amilia(Pl20), Einin(TrRgr25), Emili(TrFgt25), Heathier(TrClc22), Kynah(TrMnk25), Meallach(Brb25), Misbehaven(TrArt22), Myara(Rog22), Rosewood(TrBd25) and Sgail(TrWiz20) little somethings with flavour 'n favour

Community Member

So is the ownership of Kobold child slaves, among the "Good" civilised races we represent in particular, a common and accepted part of Eberron lore? Or is it just a case of Turbine sacrificing authenticity to make more money?

So you have issues with enforced virtual servitude but storming uninvited into a village unannounced and slaughtering every kobold (or minitaur or gnoll or whatever) in sight is well within your comfort zone? Surely there must be a lot of these orphans around. How many kobold mothers and fathers have you killed?

Quote Originally Posted by tinyelvis View Post
    So you have issues with enforced virtual servitude but storming uninvited into a village unannounced and slaughtering every kobold (or minitaur or gnoll or whatever) in sight is well within your comfort zone? Surely there must be a lot of these orphans around. How many kobold mothers and fathers have you killed?
    I can see it now.. Sally Fields.

"Won't you help an orphaned kobold? Adopt one today! Save a child now. Only 3 platinum a week can make a difference."
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Some good stuff here, but I remain unconvinced.
    1) When called for, I do the same to Humans, Drow, Halflings, Warforged, etc. too. I would feel the same towards having "pets" of those races, or their children (where applicable), as well.
    2) Self defence - those I kill always attack first (or they at least run at me in a menacing manner). :P
    3) Kobolds breed like rabbits; they need culling or they'd overrun everything (not that I'd object to an alternate-universe Stormreach, ruled by civilized Kobolds ).

Yeah, monsters have feelings, remember...

Community Member DeafeningWhisper's Avatar

Remember how kobolds still hate you and remembers Water Works? It's because some unscrupulous adventures kidnap their children to be sold as pets! True story.
    "Pike or do not. There is no lag."

Are you mocking my wizard's kobold apprentice?
    Just you wait. I'm teaching him Explosive Runes.

Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    Remember how kobolds still hate you and remembers Water Works? It's because some unscrupulous adventures kidnap their children to be sold as pets! True story.
    That explains a lot. I always thought Arlos was a shify sort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeraphim View Post
    Fly? That would break every quest in the game. You would see folks falling from the sky in Korthos and dying. It would be a rain of newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandonk View Post
    Yeah. It's not "we nuked the city from orbit", it's "the city experienced a brief population drop". Check.

We have them because they were heavily requested, most likely. That may be incidental, and the Devs were planning for them anyways - but a lot of players asked for lill Kobold pets, and judging by how many of them I see running around I'd say they are a huge hit.

I myself have little problems with Cosmetic Pets. Sure, at first I was against the idea - but they are only a minor annoyance in actuality. For me at least. And, they are adorable little bundles of profit for the game. I just hope that some of that profit can be funneled to QA and get some of the real problems with this game resolved.

My Kobold companion has a top hat, though. I'm pretty sure he has it better than his sewer and swamp dwelling relatives. He gets to tag along to witness epic battles, and rest in clean Spas, Taverns and Hotels around Stormreach.
    Plus, he likes to sing a lot, so I don't see how he could be doing badly.

They are like Bupu, the gulley dwarf. They get attached to the PC and want to follow it around everywhere being "helpful"

-JJ

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

This reminds me of that M.A.S.H. episode with the moose. Maybe the tricks should be changed to shining shoes and delivering meals to "the master".
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Community Member

It would be neat if they were a little more useful. For example, you run out of heal pots and are running low on health. No problem. Just eat the companion for a quick health boost. Kobold shaman, mmm, tastes like chicken.

Community Member

The midget kobold is just there to eat your body when you die. It's part of the green dungeon initiative. It's hard to get a halfling hungry enough to do that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast