Community Member

Default Playing PnP AD&D Online

So for a while now I have heard rumors and whispers about playing the PnP version of Advanced Dungeons and Dragons over the internet. Recently I became aware of some online software to do this effectively but wanted to post here to find out if anyone has found anything I have not. I have not played the PnP version of the game in decades mostly because getting everyone together proved impossible due to people's lifestyles and moving etc. But also dragging books and campaign notes seemed silly when you have this amazing thing called the Internet.

None of the software I have found is specifically for AD&D per se but it does allow you to go into a chat room and show maps to all the players. Haven't figured out how to roll dice yet but I'm sure I could work that out. I live in the New York City area so I would be interested to see if anyone has made this work as I would like to try it out.

Despite what an amazing game DDO is, we all know it pales to the actual time we were introduced to the game.

What do you guys think?

The Desert, USA

This may or may not help you, but one possible option is to use a forum and do some play-by-post (PbP) games. I've done 3.5e games in this fashion for a while, and the only real downside is that it can sometimes take a while for everyone to get their posts up and the game to progress. Most forums have in-built dice rollers, however, and if you have another means of communication outside of the forum it does tend to speed things up a bit (Skype works well for this, and if you can find another means of managing dice you could potentially run an entire game just through the voice chat).

Even if you decide to go another route, check out the Giant in the Playground ( forums, drop in, and mayhaps pose your question there - lots and lots of PbP players on the site, I'm sure if you start a thread they can help point you in the right direction.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Garden City of Lights

Hi. Me and my buddies are currently playing PnP online through the use of a software called Fantasy Grounds. The software has updated rules for 3.5ed, 4.0ed and even Pathfinder. The dice rolling is superb therefore no worries there. For more info, checkout the site at

You can also checkout but the software is not that user friendly to us so we didn't bother to use it.

P.S: We use Skype for voip coz they're real time. ;-)

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by ZaxisDakmorr; 05-07-2012 at 03:43 AM.

You may want to check this too:
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry